ADVERTISEMENT

DCI Special Agent Mark Ludwig……

It's up for debate as to whether a warrant was needed. The courts will settle this.

State Senator Dan Dawson of Pottawattamie County, who is also a DCI agent himself, countered Petersen's point.
Dawson argues that while people can be worried about privacy, geofencing without a warrant is fine in this case.

Sounds like Mr. Dawson shouldn’t be an investigator. Probably shouldn’t be in politics either if he thinks it’s ok to violate people’s rights in any case.

Reactions: chunkfish
Sounds like Mr. Dawson shouldn’t be an investigator. Probably shouldn’t be in politics either if he thinks it’s ok to violate people’s rights in any case.
"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." - Lavrentiy Beria, Joseph Stalin's Secret Police Chief

Dawson is WAY out of bounds on this matter.

Must be lead in the water in Pottawattamie County.

Just stupid.

They'll settle out of court.

Reynolds is following the advice of attorneys. Solid decision.

Bird would say nothing as she would still be a county attorney.
Both are political hacks and will speak when it is politically advantageous to do so.
The one thing about Miller was he was always a lawyer first and seldom if ever said anything political. Kim and the Bird just aren’t that smart.

Both are political hacks and will speak when it is politically advantageous to do so.
The one thing about Miller was he was always a lawyer first and seldom if ever said anything political. Kim and the Bird just aren’t that smart.
You wouldn't happen to be a demo would ya, try not to be so obvious 🤣

Reynolds was asked about the investigation during a news conference on Wednesday. She referred specific questions to the Iowa Department of Public Safety — which houses the Division of Criminal Investigation — but expressed strong support for the state’s investigation.

“They did the job. They received inquiries about an issue and they did what they do. … And I think they were surprised at some of the results that they found,” Reynolds said. “They don’t check in with me, but I support wholeheartedly the department and the decisions that were made.” 10/27/2023

They turned over legal activity for what reason? Does law enforcement notify auto insurance companies when drivers are not speeding?
The NCAA determined the activity Shannon engaged in (betting) was contrary to their rules, so he was suspended. How phuquin’ much more dense you wanna be? The DCI turned names over to the UofI and ISU....These schools are required to turn these names over to the NCAA...the NCAA sanctioned the players...the State also charged some athletes with underaged gambling...Shannon was sanctioned by the NCAA..understand?
As for your auto insurance question...ask your insurance agent.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The NCAA determined the activity Shannon engaged in (betting) was contrary to their rules, so he was suspended. How phuquin’ much more dense you wanna be? The DCI turned names over to the UofI and ISU....These schools are required to turn these names over to the NCAA...the NCAA sanctioned the players...the State also charged some athletes with underaged gambling...Shannon was sanctioned by the NCAA..understand?
As for your auto insurance question...ask your insurance agent.
Joel… I don’t think you get it…. There was no reason a law enforcement official should have been tracking Noah Shannon. He broke zero laws. Law enforcement = laws. Why was he, his phone, or his activity ever in question by law enforcement?

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Joel… I don’t think you get it…. There was no reason a law enforcement official should have been tracking Noah Shannon. He broke zero laws. Law enforcement = laws. Why was he, his phone, or his activity ever in question by law enforcement?
His name turned up...,he was an athlete...and the original intent of the purposed investigation forwarded by the DCI was fear of athletes “influencing game outcomes”...point shaving! Right, wrong, indifferent....that was the reason given initially for this investigation...
Jeeeebus keeeeerist, am I the only one who phuquin’ reads this stuff?

Now, does it “excuse” the DCI, I don’t know....I really don’t care. What bothers me is how they went about gathering their information and how that information negatively affected a couple of the players (Shannon got screwed). All the “underaged gamblers” I do not feel sorry for...they broke the damned law. Any players who lost playing time because of NCAA sanctions, if they were of age, I would have some compunction for....but then again, gambling is gambling and any appearance of gambling is not healthy.

• Haha
His name turned up...,he was an athlete...and the original intent of the purposed investigation forwarded by the DCI was fear of athletes “influencing game outcomes”...point shaving! Right, wrong, indifferent....that was the reason given initially for this investigation...
Jeeeebus keeeeerist, am I the only one who phuquin’ reads this stuff?

Now, does it “excuse” the DCI, I don’t know....I really don’t care. What bothers me is how they went about gathering their information and how that information negatively affected a couple of the players (Shannon got screwed). All the “underaged gamblers” I do not feel sorry for...they broke the damned law. Any players who lost playing time because of NCAA sanctions, if they were of age, I would have some compunction for....but then again, gambling is gambling and any appearance of gambling is not healthy.
Appreciate the response. No one is really interested in who you feel sorry for, Joel. Noah Shannon will be forever wealthy based on this situation, and rightfully so. If my tax dollars are going to anyone/anything in this whole mess, I hope it is to Noah. My prediction and he receives $63m.

Appreciate the response. No one is really interested in who you feel sorry for, Joel. Noah Shannon will be forever wealthy based on this situation, and rightfully so. If my tax dollars are going to anyone/anything in this whole mess, I hope it is to Noah. My prediction and he receives $63m.
Maybe...maybe not. If the “geo-fence” is found to be legal I don’t think he has much of a case. The NCAA did nothing wrong...neither did the UofI. It has to wind its way through the Courts first.

If you put this case (or, all of these cases) forward to juries in Story and Johnson counties respectively, the State of Iowa will be embarrassingly slaughtered and brutally punished financially.

You are talking about unconstitutional actions by the State that resulted in stripping 17 individuals of once in a lifetime, high level opportunities.

This will make Barta's f'ups look like chump change.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
If you put this case (or, all of these cases) forward to juries in Story and Johnson counties respectively, the State of Iowa will be embarrassingly slaughtered and brutally punished financially.

You are talking about unconstitutional actions by the State that resulted in stripping 17 individuals of once in a lifetime, high level opportunities.

Again...IF the “geo-fence” is ruled illegal in these cases. If its use is upheld, everyone “caught” would be guilty of breaking the law or breaking NCAA rules and being subject to sanctions/suspensions. And we are a long ways away from “going to Court”...

If the State is found “guilty” if violating the 4th Amendment, “Iowa” is gonna pay civilly but that’s a long ways away too, unless an out of court settlement is reached.,

Agreed. This should and will be one thing that all fans of state schools can rally behind.

Shannon violated NCAA rules by betting..period. His name was given to the NCAA by UIowa when they turned over the information given them by the DCI. Shannon was sanctioned by the NCAA… I don’t think he was ever criminally charged by any one.
Correct, but Shannon can then sue the crap out of state of iow, if the search was illegal, because without the illegal search the UI and NCAA never would have received the information. Another string of actions that should be easy to understand

This is the main point with Shannon. He did not commit a crime so the DCI had no reason to keep, hold, or pass along his name.

What if the courts rule the state's actions to be legal?

What about those who were of age, Joel?
They run the danger of sanctions from either the school, the conference or most likely, the NCAA. The NCAA apparently bans athletes from gambling, period. Especially on their “own” teams...
It is just something STUPID young kids would get mixed up in. Why jeapardize their careers? I am sure each and every s hook has given their student athletes “the talk”?
MLB Baseball players can’t gamble on their teams. There are signs in every major league/minor league locker room in America stating so.

Correct, but Shannon can then sue the crap out of state of iow, if the search was illegal, because without the illegal search the UI and NCAA never would have received the information. Another string of actions that should be easy to understand
Absolutely. If the “geo-fence” is found to be illegal, all involved will have a civil recourse, I would think. But you cannot “undo” Shannon’s suspension..the damage has been done. If there is civil action taken, it will be primarily against the State of Iowa, but lawyers will look at anyone with deep pockets (the school, the NCAA) for their funds.
But again, I am no lawyer...and I haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, either. But, overzealous LEOs, I am familiar with.

Absolutely. If the “geo-fence” is found to be illegal, all involved will have a civil recourse, I would think. But you cannot “undo” Shannon’s suspension..the damage has been done. If there is civil action taken, it will be primarily against the State of Iowa, but lawyers will look at anyone with deep pockets (the school, the NCAA) for their funds.
But again, I am no lawyer...and I haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, either. But, overzealous LEOs, I am familiar with.
Correct, Shannon's suspension/end of his career cannot be undone or not in a short time period. But Shannon could not only sue the state of Iowa if he has the law behind him but also sue the NCAA and maybe the UI because they did not do their due diligence to find out if this evidence was lawfully obtained. One could say the UI acted in haste to report Shannon to the NCAA.

There could be a whole shit load of bad fruit from the poisonous tree or whatever the saying is

Well, if was a warrantless search with no probable cause and if it is declared legal then the ACLU and a whole bunch of civil rights activists and lawyers are going to be suing because this whole action by the DCI opens up a whole universe of invasion of privacy and 4th amendment rights violatios.

Well, if was a warrantless search with no probable cause and if it is declared legal then the ACLU and a whole bunch of civil rights activists and lawyers are going to be suing because this whole action by the DCI opens up a whole universe of invasion of privacy and 4th amendment rights violatios.

If it's determined lawful by the courts then "the ACLU and a whole bunch of civil rights activists and lawyers" are going to be shit out of luck. How can you have "4th amendment rights violations" if it's concluded by the courts that the action was lawful/constitutional?

Do you honestly think the State of Iowa is going to be party to dragging this thing through all of the appellate levels to "prove a point"? In a civil case? 4th amendment argument regarding an unwarranted search?

DCI made mistakes and need to own up to it. Stop digging the hole and start climbing out.

The State is going to settle.

If it's determined lawful by the courts then "the ACLU and a whole bunch of civil rights activists and lawyers" are going to be shit out of luck. How can you have "4th amendment rights violations" if it's concluded by the courts that the action was lawful/constitutional?

Doesn't matter what criminal court decides. Civil court is what we are talking about. I don't see this fight happening in criminal court. It will be decided in civil court. Again, the State is going to pay

Doesn't matter what criminal court decides. Civil court is what we are talking about. I don't see this fight happening in criminal court. It will be decided in civil court. Again, the State is going to pay
100%.

DCI fvcked up and the State will pay in civil court.

Shit, they have the governor on record in a press conference supporting the DCI in this matter. And now this widely reported revelation.

Politics 101: When you find yourself having dug a hole, first thing you do is stop digging.

Time to sharpen pencils.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT