ADVERTISEMENT

Drake #1 per FloWrestling...

HWT shows Ben Kueter, so I don't know. If and when it gets updated, hopefully it gets posted. Majoring the reigning Big Ten champion is quite a big deal.
It's updated, they do all weights simultaneously.
Yes, Allred is the B1G champ, but he also failed to reach the podium last year, which hurts the conference.

197 is attacked, but unfortunately it's full of non-con guys. Guys ahead of him will need to start losing for him to gain ground.

A mid-season #1 ranking is cool- a h/t to recognize the success Drake is currently having on the mat. He really impressed me last night with his quick finishes on a guy that typically gave him fits.

He certainly has come a long way from the guy that was getting buried on here after the Kaylor loss.

I'm obviously hoping Drake can run the table from here on out. But even if he takes a loss, or two, or even three before NCAAs, I'm not too concerned. 125 may be the most volatile weight in recent memory. Good chance whomever wins the weight has multiple losses on the year.

Every match from r16 to finals will be a tough matchup. Seed really doesn't matter(currently) for the weight this year. Drake has proven that he is a threat to win it all in March.

tldr; Drake is good, it's just a ranking, hope he wins it all

14bm.gif

#1 is not a good place to be at 125 this year. Just sayin’
With you on that. Definitely like how he responded after giving up TD. Strong finish - I think he knows he can beat anyone at the weight class on a given day. But to your point, 125 is like the NFL this year.

Reactions: AFHawk86
InterMat has him #2...with the way 125 has been I think 2 is a bit high but we know how good he can be and he's a guy Drake will probably face 2-3x this year.

Let's get a feel for him now!
Agreed. Trying to rank 125 is a crap shoot. Drake just needs to continue on the path he’s on and he should finish high on the podium in March.

125 is going to be the bracket that determines the winner of our NCAA pool this year. We always do 2 pools. One where we draft wrestlers to fill out a line up. Of course everyone wants the clear #1 guys but picking the dark horse that comes through is the guy that often wins the pool. We then do a pick'em where you can only pick one #1 seed, one #2 seed and so on. After #8 you can pick all the guys you want. Again picking the clear #1 is generally pretty easy. A #2 guy that has a chance to upset. O'toole is one. Then finding the upsets and predicting them through is the real fun. This year the guy that picks the 125 guy that comes through or the 165 upsets in that dog fight is going to be sitting pretty.

There are any 6-8 that could win it at 125. It will come down to who gets hot, who manages the weight cut, who is completely healthy and who has their head in the game. I love watching weights with some mystery and parity in them. For years it was Spencer (when mostly healthy) and the rest of the pack at 125.

Ramos didnt beat him, his knee/health did.
Excuses are for wusses. Ramos did beat him. Even Spencer gave Ramos credit. The version of Ramos that day was better than the version of Spencer that wrestled that day. Ramos did not wrestle the legend of Spencer that day, just the Spencer who was, all of his history (good and bad, injury or healthy) included.

To not give Ramos credit for the win and to view him as the biggest threat in the weight outside of Fix/Vito sucking down is foolish IMO. Ramos is powerful and has plenty of tricks. I would put my $ on Ramos today at 125. Ayala has really progressed though and Ramos on paper has regressed, this will be Drakes biggest test all season.

To not give Ramos credit for the win and to view him as the biggest threat in the weight outside of Fix/Vito sucking down is foolish IMO. Ramos is powerful and has plenty of tricks. I would put my $ on Ramos today at 125. Ayala has really progressed though and Ramos on paper has regressed, this will be Drakes biggest test all season.
I think this is a preview to the Semi's or finals come the national tournament.

Ramos is not in Spencer's league. It's really sad that Spence has had the medical issues.
Ramos with a healthy Spencer is a ragdoll room guy to Lee.
Fact.

I don't know, Ramos put a scare into him right in the middle of the season last year when Spencer was wrecking everyone and looked as healthy as we'd ever seen him. He still pinned Ramos afterwards but Ramos showed he had some tools and wasn't intimidated. Whatever Spencer had wrong with him down the stretch wasn't evident during the Purdue dual and he almost got pinned there too. Spencer was kind of like Mike Tyson in that a lot of guys were probably beat before the whistle blew and then smashed in seconds, while other guys like Ramos and Rivera didn't have those same reservations.

I don't know, Ramos put a scare into him right in the middle of the season last year when Spencer was wrecking everyone and looked as healthy as we'd ever seen him. He still pinned Ramos afterwards but Ramos showed he had some tools and wasn't intimidated. Whatever Spencer had wrong with him down the stretch wasn't evident during the Purdue dual and he almost got pinned there too. Spencer was kind of like Mike Tyson in that a lot of guys were probably beat before the whistle blew and then smashed in seconds, while other guys like Ramos and Rivera didn't have those same reservations.
Agreed, Ramos has the funk and strength, his skill level though and head to head match comparison shows he's not in Spencer's league.
Spencer needs to game plan better for him and realize he's a unique challenge.

Reactions: MSU158 and TarpHawk
Agreed, Ramos has the funk and strength, his skill level though and head to head match comparison shows he's not in Spencer's league.

On paper he's definitely not in Spencer's league, but styles make fights. Just like DeSanto couldn't figure out RBY after he had handled him twice pretty easily. But DeSanto was still getting better against everyone else so it was just that one match up. Or flip that and Vito destroying RBY last year in the final. You wouldn't think that was even the same guy out there it looked so lopsided, but he could still beat everybody else so it wasn't like he had a drop off in his own game just ran into a bad matchup.

Ramos wrestles best when he has nothing to lose whereas he's a decent conventional wrestler. The arrogance of elite wrestlers is that they think big moves can't happen to them...they are the predators, not the prey. Hence it's why SL went wandering into Ramos's wheelhouse. A guy like Drake has been in those situations (not very much) and he knows what positions he wants to be in. I look for it to be close but Drake wins it in the third with his tank.

Aside from a tense few seconds moments in a scramble — I think Ayala, Ayala, Ayala.

Ayala avenging Spencer at Carver is must-see TV, over-the-top ironic, and a natural finale. Start the dual at 133.

Reactions: el dub
I'm curious if Spence will have a difficult time cheering for Drake.
My brother sat behind the Lee family at the SS Saturday night. Said it seemed to him like they were there just to watch and cheer on Drake. Before the match started Larry was yelling something at Drake hyping him up and Drake looked up and acknowledged him. From that interaction it seems like the Lee’s are 1 of Drakes biggest fans. My brother said it was a pretty cool interaction to witness

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT