ADVERTISEMENT

Duke finished 94th in total offense in 2023.

Is that enough to move the needle for Hawkeye fans?
Well, it’s about 40 spots better than the Hawks. BF would have killed to have been ranked in the 90s.

With an offense ranked in the 90s, Hawkeyes would have likely beat Minnesota and performed competitively in our other three losses by reducing the number of “three and outs”, have more opportunities to score, and rested our defense, thereby holding opponents to fewer points.

Well, it’s about 40 spots better than the Hawks. BF would have killed to have been ranked in the 90s.

With an offense ranked in the 90s, Hawkeyes would have likely beat Minnesota and performed competitively in our other three losses by reducing the number of “three and outs”, have more opportunities to score, and rested our defense, thereby holding opponents to fewer points.
Brian would have. If game 1 Hawks finished 90th in offense, and throughout the season ended 90th in offense, do you think Hawk fans would have been happy and Brian keeps his job?

No matter who we hire I think it's inevitable that KF's brain will melt once he's informed that you don't have to run the ball up the back of our G for a three-yard loss on first down.

Brian lost his job because of Purdue, Wisconsin, and Kentucky in 2021. Because of Iowa State, Illinois and Nebraska in 2022. And because of Minnesota in 2023. Seven games that Iowa should have won with a slightly below average offense. Forget about trying to beat then Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State’s of the world right now.
remind me why we are talking about Brian in this thread?

Brian lost his job because of Purdue, Wisconsin, and Kentucky in 2021. Because of Iowa State, Illinois and Nebraska in 2022. And because of Minnesota in 2023. Seven games that Iowa should have won with a slightly below average offense. Forget about trying to beat then Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State’s of the world right now.
Without divisions, that's off the table. Iowa HAS to compete with these teams on the field, even if they can't compete with their resources.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
No matter who we hire I think it's inevitable that KF's brain will melt once he's informed that you don't have to run the ball up the back of our G for a three-yard loss on first down.
Oh that duke offense still does that, it just adds in a slight wrinkle of maybe the QB still has the ball..lol

Reactions: millah_22
Agree. Brian lost his job because he just isn't good at it. Totally unqualified. I would've been happy to keep him as the OL/TE coach. But no way the guy is an OC. It's not easy, not everyone can do it. KF shouldn't have ever put his son in that position.

I saw the same thing, then did more digging and come to find out their starting QB went down and they lost other starters. KJ was very proficient in his previous gigs at Memphis and Indiana as well. THe 94 ranking is a little deceiving considering they put up 20 vs FSU's defense...

Appreciate your response.

We have NO reason to believe otherwise, but, carry on with your endless optimism that isn’t supported by anything at all.
Season 2 Tarot Cards GIF by HBO

Yes. But I would say we go against better defenses on average than Duke would have, but we also have greater resources than Duke would have had.
When KJ was at Indiana:

During his tenure, the Hoosiers offense has set 54 school records, including points, total yardage, passing yardage and rushing yardage in a single season.

• Topped the Big Ten in passing offense in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

• Over the past four years, IU is first in the Big Ten in passing yardage, second in total yardage, and fourth in rushing yardage per game. Indiana is the only conference team to rank in the top four in passing, rushing and total offense.

Beat us 1x in 2012 24-21 and averaged 26pts vs IOwa in three games.

Memphis finished #8 in scoring offense in 2019, 44th in 2020 and 52nd in 2021.
Norvell was the playcaller in 2019 when they were 8th. Then they regressed when Johns took over play calling in 2020/2021. I believe they were better again in 2022/2023 after Johns left. Could have been due to a number of factors, but not a great sign on its face.

Anything has to be better than what we’ve seen the last few years but who knows. Every time I’d say it can’t get any worse, the Iowa offense said hold my beer. I’ll be happy to see change on that side of the ball. How much, we shall see.

Anything has to be better than what we’ve seen the last few years but who knows. Every time I’d say it can’t get any worse, the Iowa offense said hold my beer. I’ll be happy to see change on that side of the ball. How much, we shall see.
I think having an actual QB coach will be an instant boost to the O.

My wishful thinking is having an actually somewhat decent playcaller to make the O a little less predictable will make the O line better. Hoping this helps Barnett as well.

I think having an actual QB coach will be an instant boost to the O.

My wishful thinking is having an actually somewhat decent playcaller to make the O a little less predictable will make the O line better. Hoping this helps Barnett as well.
I wonder if he brings in a WR coach, or who Iowa will target for that position.

Reactions: millah_22
Duke was #65 in scoring offense. 27.1 ppg...12 more ppg than Iowa.

Think Iowa could win a couple more here and there with their defensive prowess and 12 more points per game?

Total offense 2023: Ohio State #47. Penn State #53. Michigan #67.

Total offense is a sucker stat.

I'll take 44 or 52.......vs 133. With this defense we are playoff bound with those numbers. Not saying it will happen BUT he has a pretty good track number for awhile now.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
I wonder if he brings in a WR coach, or who Iowa will target for that position.

I"m guessing it will be similar to 2012 when Greg Davis was brought in as OC. He brought in WR coach Bobby Kennedy to have another coach speaking his language. So I can see the OC hire more or less choosing the WR hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT