ADVERTISEMENT

Duke finished 94th in total offense in 2023.

You did it again….its only posters like you, who project that on me, gee I wonder if their might be a reason why, hmmmm….🤔

Could it be purposeful…..🤫
What A Dork GIF by The Bachelor Australia

Some notes from his Duke Bio -

In just one season under Johns, the Blue Devils went from last in the ACC in 2021 to fifth, fifth, and seventh in scoring offense, total touchdowns and passing touchdowns, respectively. In addition, Duke improved in pass efficiency (11th in 2021 to fifth in 2022) and total offense (seventh in 2021 to fourth in 2022).

Johns came to Durham after serving three seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Memphis. While there, Johns helped the Tigers earn three bowl invitations, including a 25-10 win over Florida Atlantic in the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. During each of his three seasons, Memphis was among the top five in the American Athletic Conference in scoring offense, including averaging 30.1 points this past season. The Tigers also finished last year second in the AAC in passing offense (298.8), third in offensive yards (435.8), third in first downs (22.5), and third in third down conversion percentage (71-of-174 for 40.8 percent).

Before Memphis, Johns spent the 2018 season as the offensive coordinator/inside wide receivers and tight ends coach at Texas Tech University. He guided a Red Raiders offense that ranked fourth in the country with 352.6 passing yards per game and 12th with 485.2 total yards per game. Texas Tech also averaged 37.3 points per game that season, which was the fourth-best mark in the Big 12.

From 2011-16, Johns spent six years at Indiana, the final three as the program’s sole offensive coordinator. He also assisted with coaching the quarterbacks and wide receivers after arriving as a co-offensive coordinator in 2011. The Hoosiers rewrote 54 school records during Johns’ time there, including season marks for points, total yards, passing yards and rushing yards. In 2015, Indiana had a 3,500-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and a 1,000-yard receiver, en route to leading the Big Ten in scoring offense at 36.5 points per game. Two years prior, Indiana had five 1,000-yard receivers playing at the same time.

Johns served a second stint on staff at Northwestern University from 2004-10 in a variety of different roles after a three-year tenure from 1999-2001 as an offensive graduate assistant.

This guy has a GREAT bio for an OC. Has coached at Duke, Memphis, Texas Tech, Indiana and Northwestern, and he's still only 48.

But, gosh, he wasn't great in 2023! Probably not good enough for the Hawks.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: thunderstruck1
When KJ was at Indiana:

During his tenure, the Hoosiers offense has set 54 school records, including points, total yardage, passing yardage and rushing yardage in a single season.

• Topped the Big Ten in passing offense in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

• Over the past four years, IU is first in the Big Ten in passing yardage, second in total yardage, and fourth in rushing yardage per game. Indiana is the only conference team to rank in the top four in passing, rushing and total offense.

Beat us 1x in 2012 24-21 and averaged 26pts vs IOwa in three games.
Whats more remarkable about that is they didn't get to do that in the West division. They had to play Michigan,OSU,PSU .Imagine having to play in that gauntlet every year.

Reactions: obfuscating
Whats more remarkable about that is they didn't get to do that in the West division. They had to play Michigan,OSU,PSU .Imagine having to play in that gauntlet every year.
We had these beauties until 2014

LEGENDS: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern

LEADERS: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Is that enough to move the needle for Hawkeye fans?
That would be a heck of a good improvement from 130th. Let's see, that puts Iowa in the 3rd quartile with a jump of 36 ranking spots. That would make for easier wins over the likes of ISU and the old West Div foes. Might mean scoring some points and keeping the beatdowns against top teams to almost being a chance for a victory

remind me why we are talking about Brian in this thread?
Because this thread is about hiring a guy that is 94th in offense. And after what we’ve been through the past years, we can only dream about what an offense like that looks like. We win the majority of the seven games we’ve lost to anyone outside the big ten big three and tennesseee the past three years, with a 94th ranked offense.

Because this thread is about hiring a guy that is 94th in offense. And after what we’ve been through the past years, we can only dream about what an offense like that looks like.
Because you want to bitch in another thread about Brian. There are reasons it was the 94th offense last year, and you are too lazy to even scroll up to identify what those reasons are.

Sure. $25. Just go through your last 2 days on here and count how many posts weren't complaining about or directed at other posters. Its pretty much all you do. Easily 8 out of 10. Easiest money I ever made. PM me for my Venmo #

1st…no chance I’m putting in that kind of effort.

2nd….fvck, if we are narrowing it down to your parameters, why not just make it my last post….doh!!

I’ll change when the board does…friend 🤷‍♂️

When KJ was at Indiana:

During his tenure, the Hoosiers offense has set 54 school records, including points, total yardage, passing yardage and rushing yardage in a single season.

• Over the past four years, IU is first in the Big Ten in passing yardage, second in total yardage, and fourth in rushing yardage per game. Indiana is the only conference team to rank in the top four in passing, rushing and total offense.

Hell just looking at his work getting passing games to go go maybe Johns should be first on kirks list

Because this thread is about hiring a guy that is 94th in offense. And after what we’ve been through the past years, we can only dream about what an offense like that looks like. We win the majority of the seven games we’ve lost to anyone outside the big ten big three and tennesseee the past three years, with a 94th ranked offense.

And does that guarantee more wins?

Because you want to bitch in another thread about Brian. There are reasons it was the 94th offense last year, and you are too lazy to even scroll up to identify what those reasons are.
You cannot look at 94th in a vaccuum. The majority of power 5 fans would shriek in horror at bringing in someone in charge of that type of offense. But after the last three years of offense in Iowa City, that offensive production would look like a combo of the 2020 Chiefs/1999 St Louis Rams offenses to iowa fans.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
You cannot look at 94th in a vaccuum. The majority of power 5 fans would shriek in horror at bringing in someone in charge of that type of offense. But after the last three years of offense in Iowa City, that offensive production would look like a combo of the 2020 Chiefs/1999 St Louis Rams offenses to iowa fans.
There is not looking at 94th in a vacuum. They lost Riley Leonard midway through the season. He had 352 rushing yards and over 1000 years passing. As a team they had almost 2200 yards rushing. Their passing was down for an obvious reason, they lost their starter.

Yes. Absolutely. Can you rewind time, put in anyone other than Brian at offensive coordinator starting with 2021 Indiana at Kinnick?!? Can you guarantee that for us?

You might want to rethink that question… I asked if that guarantees more wins meaning going forward and you want me to “guarantee“ something going backwards explain that to me if you would?

😂

There is not looking at 94th in a vacuum. They lost Riley Leonard midway through the season. He had 352 rushing yards and over 1000 years passing. As a team they had almost 2200 yards rushing.
The question is, would that move the needle for Hawkeye fans? And that’s an absolute yes, from me, based on what we’ve had.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
The question stands.

Well if “anything“ could be guaranteed going backwards I would definitely guarantee it… Now your turn😊

Actually, now that I think about it, in fact, I can guarantee something… Since it’s in the past and can’t be changed, I guarantee it will always stay the same lol…

Moving on, if our offense improves to the 90s will it guarantee us more wins?

They scored 20 more TD's than Iowa last year and out gained them by 100yds a game...that would have won Iowa a few more games.

Thing is, Iowa will be a upgrade in talent that KJ is used to. So while I can see where cautious optimism is always warranted,
Some notes from his Duke Bio -

In just one season under Johns, the Blue Devils went from last in the ACC in 2021 to fifth, fifth, and seventh in scoring offense, total touchdowns and passing touchdowns, respectively. In addition, Duke improved in pass efficiency (11th in 2021 to fifth in 2022) and total offense (seventh in 2021 to fourth in 2022).

Johns came to Durham after serving three seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Memphis. While there, Johns helped the Tigers earn three bowl invitations, including a 25-10 win over Florida Atlantic in the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. During each of his three seasons, Memphis was among the top five in the American Athletic Conference in scoring offense, including averaging 30.1 points this past season. The Tigers also finished last year second in the AAC in passing offense (298.8), third in offensive yards (435.8), third in first downs (22.5), and third in third down conversion percentage (71-of-174 for 40.8 percent).

Before Memphis, Johns spent the 2018 season as the offensive coordinator/inside wide receivers and tight ends coach at Texas Tech University. He guided a Red Raiders offense that ranked fourth in the country with 352.6 passing yards per game and 12th with 485.2 total yards per game. Texas Tech also averaged 37.3 points per game that season, which was the fourth-best mark in the Big 12.

From 2011-16, Johns spent six years at Indiana, the final three as the program’s sole offensive coordinator. He also assisted with coaching the quarterbacks and wide receivers after arriving as a co-offensive coordinator in 2011. The Hoosiers rewrote 54 school records during Johns’ time there, including season marks for points, total yards, passing yards and rushing yards. In 2015, Indiana had a 3,500-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and a 1,000-yard receiver, en route to leading the Big Ten in scoring offense at 36.5 points per game. Two years prior, Indiana had five 1,000-yard receivers playing at the same time.

Johns served a second stint on staff at Northwestern University from 2004-10 in a variety of different roles after a three-year tenure from 1999-2001 as an offensive graduate assistant.

This guy has a GREAT bio for an OC. Has coached at Duke, Memphis, Texas Tech, Indiana and Northwestern, and he's still only 48.

But, gosh, he wasn't great in 2023! Probably not good enough for the Hawks.

:rolleyes:
I agree, he would be a great fit. He brings in his own wr coach and we might just be cooking. I think our TE's and RB's (and those rooms) are more then capable. Probably the most talented he has ever had at those positions. (for the most part). If he and his WR coach can recruit a little, they might be able to pull in more talent then they have been able to at other stops as well. Yeah, I think fans should be over the moon about this hire if it happens. (better start getting that OL back to the old standards).

They scored 20 more TD's than Iowa last year and out gained them by 100yds a game...that would have won Iowa a few more games.

I’ve always wondered about these static scenarios, where we score more points, and seemingly the other team doesn’t…sounds good though.

Hopefully will score more than the 17 points they scored against Troy🤷‍♂️

I’ve always wondered about these static scenarios, where we score more points, and seemingly the other team doesn’t…sounds good though.

I don't even care about the scoring more stats. Look at his 3rd down conversion rate. That is complementary football. Hard to score much if you can't stay out on the field.

There is not looking at 94th in a vacuum. They lost Riley Leonard midway through the season. He had 352 rushing yards and over 1000 years passing. As a team they had almost 2200 yards rushing. Their passing was down for an obvious reason, they lost their starter.
I’m also not particularly worried as much about total offensive stats on their own. Points per game, offensive efficiency matter a great deal more for the style of play Kirk will want.

I’m also not particularly worried as much about total offensive stats on their own. Points per game, offensive efficiency matter a great deal more for the style of play Kirk will want.
Just watching the game film alone gives me hope. My one concern, is the routes that the WRs are running, it does still appear to be a ton of 5 yard outs/curls. I just hope it is Johns that is the target at this point.

Just watching the game film alone gives me hope. My one concern, is the routes that the WRs are running, it does still appear to be a ton of 5 yard outs/curls. I just hope it is Johns that is the target at this point.
Admittedly I haven’t watched much Duke film, mostly just their game vs Clemson at the start of the season. Philosophically it seemed to be in line what the spirit of what Kirk wants from his offense if he’s willing to accept that it would look a bit different .

When KJ was at Indiana:

Just came here to post this when I heard the news. He put up a good amount of points on us, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. Got them to two straight bowls his last two years at Indiana, including putting up over 40 points in the Pinstripe. Not an easy place to recruit or win either. I'll take it.

Troy's defense was ranked 16th in the nation in adjusted efficiency this year. Iowa only played 2 games vs teams ranked higher and averaged zero points and 115 yards vs those opponents. Duke scored 17 points and racked up 333 yards of offense in this game. Iowa exceeded 300 yards of offense in only two games this year and failed to score 17 or more points on 8 occasions.

Troy's defense was ranked 16th in the nation in adjusted efficiency this year. Iowa only played 2 games vs teams ranked higher and averaged zero points and 115 yards vs those opponents. Duke scored 17 points and racked up 333 yards of offense in this game. Iowa exceeded 300 yards of offense in only two games this year and failed to score 17 or more points on 8 occasions.

Hmmm….well their that 😊

• Haha
Reactions: Drinkin Buddy

Early this year Duke curb stomped Clemson, Northwestern and NC State. Lost by 7 to Notre Dame.

Then lost their starting QB,

Last edited:
Why didn't he go with Elko to A and M? He hired Klein for OC. Usually a head coach drags their old staff along.

Why didn't he go with Elko to A and M? He hired Klein for OC. Usually a head coach drags their old staff along.
That's really a question for Elko. They were only together for two seasons, so it isn't like they were tied to the hip.

Not a damn thing wrong with Colin Klein. He's much younger and could be seen as potentially a better recruiter in the SEC, which is paramount to success as an OC down south.

I understand why Diaz brought Brewer on board as OC @ Duke, as the two worked together at Miami. Brewer also did a fine job at SMU last season.

These things are fluid, and there are no hard feelings or harsh words. The money is big and the stakes are high, so ya gotta get your guys.

Neither circumstance should necessarily be a poor reflection on Kevin Johns. It's just the business.

Duke won 17-10. Up 14-0 at half with a backup QB against a damn good defense.

Iowa was down 14-0 at half with a frozen tub of butter behind center against a decimated Tennessee team.

Last edited:
Do you think KF was drawing the plays that MUST be installed on a napkin today at the hotel?

• Haha
Reactions: hahkize
How about not until it’s fixed.

How about it’s not actually a problem? Every single offense has routes like this? Whether it’s as simple as a check-down, or by design to get yards after the catch. This is literally a route that every single offense you’ll ever see has incorporated into its passing game.

If nothing else a qb needs that short pass option to get rid of the ball and avoid the big sack, potential fumble or any number of bad outcomes because they were forced to hold on to the ball too long.

Of all complaints about our offense - most of which are warranted, this one is just dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT