ADVERTISEMENT

Gambling news: ISU attorneys file motion to suppress

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but have any Iowa athletes lawyered up to initiate a case?
What would they lawyer up for? None of them were charged with any crimes. Even in civil I don’t know what they would sue for and who exactly would they sue?

No matter how the NCAA received the information(mind you the NCAA was in no way involved in the questionable fact finding itself) the fact remains that they broke the rules. I admittedly don’t care for the rules and think the punishment was too severe, but I just don’t see what would be gained from any legal proceedings….

What would they lawyer up for? None of them were charged with any crimes. Even in civil I don’t know what they would sue for and who exactly would they sue?

No matter how the NCAA received the information(mind you the NCAA was in no way involved in the questionable fact finding itself) the fact remains that they broke the rules. I admittedly don’t care for the rules and think the punishment was too severe, but I just don’t see what would be gained from any legal proceedings….
Could you not sue the state for NIL loses and future loses from defamation? They could argue loses of money because of wrongful and illegal searches and invasion of privacy. I'm not a legal guy by any means but this witch hunt, if illegal, should be held responsible.

Sweet Google-Moogley! I just liked a MSU158 post! 🤪

giphy.gif

Could you not sue the state for NIL loses and future loses from defamation? They could argue loses of money because of wrongful and illegal searches and invasion of privacy. I'm not a legal guy by any means but this witch hunt, if illegal, should be held responsible.
The problem is they broke rules from a separate governing body. That can’t be disputed. So they would gain nothing on that end and it makes it really hard for me to see anything going in their favor over NIL monies.

Now, I guess I could see something from the illegal search and privacy violations, but I am just not a fan of suing the government and expecting to come out ahead. It is harder and much less likely to win than many think…

While I agree with you here, didn't an Illinois judge recently rule that an Illinois B-Ball player could not be suspended (accused of rape) because it may affect future earning potential? You could make the same type of case with these wrestlers, though future earning might not be the angle you pursue.

While I agree with you here, didn't an Illinois judge recently rule that an Illinois B-Ball player could not be suspended (accused of rape) because it may affect future earning potential? You could make the same type of case with these wrestlers, though future earning might not be the angle you pursue.
I don’t think that sets any precedent in this situation. They violated a very clear rule, which is very different than just an accusation.

I can see a judge ruling for due process prior to suspension, but in the case of the “gamblers” they aren’t disputing the violations…

The problem is they broke rules from a separate governing body. That can’t be disputed. So they would gain nothing on that end and it makes it really hard for me to see anything going in their favor over NIL monies.

Now, I guess I could see something from the illegal search and privacy violations, but I am just not a fan of suing the government and expecting to come out ahead. It is harder and much less likely to win than many think…
I agree

Prob not. They were not defamed, they admitted they broke the rules.

This is basically only relevant in any criminal proceedings.

Also civil. Their rights were violated and they lost something tangible.
Sure, but that’s a tough sell to a jury.

I did something wrong and was punished. But you did something wrong to prove that I did something wrong, so I shouldn’t have been punished. So you owe me penalties for wrongfully proving I was being bad.

Add to the fact that all of them cooperated and admitted that they did the wrong deed, I would be pretty shocked if any of them pursue this route.

Sure, but that’s a tough sell to a jury.

I did something wrong and was punished. But you did something wrong to prove that I did something wrong, so I shouldn’t have been punished. So you owe me penalties for wrongfully proving I was being bad.

Add to the fact that all of them cooperated and admitted that they did the wrong deed, I would be pretty shocked if any of them pursue this route.
Well, if the SCUMBAGS who went after these kids did so ILLEGALLY. Then what is not to say they also did not proceed in a manner that is unethical? I have to assume that these kids were under the impression that this was NOT going to END their careers!!!

"OK guys just admit that you did this and we will give you a 1 match suspension and it will all be over" is likely what happened. Why else in ALL HELL would they say, "yea we bet!?!?!?"

That is where you could really put the SCREWS to these POS!!! ILLEGAL search to obtain information and then using it to get a "confession" maybe with the understanding that it would not be a big deal. Also the punishment does not seem in line with the "violation" as NO WHERE have I seen or heard they did ANYTHING truly wrong?

They did not FIX GAMES or SHAVE POINTS etc.... THIS is the ONLY thing the COCKROACHES care about. So THEIR $$$$$$ does not get effected.

If someone wants to show me where they were doing ANYTHING more then placing bets on OTHER teams then the ones they were on? Then I would like to see that evidence! Otherwise get a GOOD HARD NOSE PITBULL of a LAWYER and start SUEING EVERYONE!!!

• Haha
Reactions: NitFan53

They will lawyer up to sue the DCI, the agents involved and the NCAA. Matt and Van are going to set these DCI agents and their bosses on fire. Mark my words. People will get fired, people will retire. It's coming.

They will lawyer up to sue the DCI, the agents involved and the NCAA. Matt and Van are going to set these DCI agents and their bosses on fire. Mark my words. People will get fired, people will retire. It's coming.
People getting fired or forced retirement is immaterial to me. What I am saying is what will the wrestlers themselves gain from suing? That is the part I have a hard time seeing...

Well they will probably get money. Thats nice to have.
How and for what? That type of answer gives nothing to the conversation. Please feel free to explain the argument, damages and valuations for said damages...

How and for what? That type of answer gives nothing to the conversation. Please feel free to explain the argument, damages and valuations for said damages...

i’m not a lawyer but i would say damages for loss of nil, scholarships?, future earnings due to loss of the senior seasons, etc. the argument would be violation of their 4th amendment due to illegal search and seizure.

i’m not a lawyer but i would say damages for loss of nil, scholarships?, future earnings due to loss of the senior seasons, etc. the argument would be violation of their 4th amendment due to illegal search and seizure.
But, how do you blame the government for those losses? They weren't sanctioned by the government. They broke rules they agreed to with a separate governing body(NCAA). Suing the government is not easy. I just don't find it nearly as easy or as sure of a thing as many seem to think...

Reactions: Fatmarc
People getting fired or forced retirement is immaterial to me. What I am saying is what will the wrestlers themselves gain from suing? That is the part I have a hard time seeing...
The DCI illegally gathered this information on innocent people. They didn’t get warrants. People lost a year of college eligibility and were charged with crimes after being lied to. The DCI has egg on its face and that won’t go well with the people at the top.

But, how do you blame the government for those losses? They weren't sanctioned by the government. They broke rules they agreed to with a separate governing body(NCAA). Suing the government is not easy. I just don't find it nearly as easy or as sure of a thing as many seem to think...
A DCI agent already said under oath that what happened was illegal and he asked to be put on another case as did several other agents. When the Division of Criminal Investigation breaks the law to convict innocent college kids there will be heads that roll. Stay tuned….

A DCI agent already said under oath that what happened was illegal and he asked to be put on another case as did several other agents. When the Division of Criminal Investigation breaks the law to convict innocent college kids there will be heads that roll. Stay tuned….
I am not arguing against any of that. Just simply what would the Iowa wrestlers sue for and gain from it?

Dude this isn’t hard.

An illegal search was conducted by the DCI which took away their time on the mat. Period. There will be damages.
So, let’s say a murderer had his time murdering more people taken away due to an illegal search. Should he be able to sue?

Look, the real issue is with the NCAA for levying such a heavy penalty. Suing the government for using the wrong methods to find out you broke rules doesn’t make sense to me. Should everyone that did the illegal search lose their jobs? Sure. Should you get money from the government for it? I can think of a ton of better reasons to get money from them than that…

So, let’s say a murderer had his time murdering more people taken away due to an illegal search. Should he be able to sue?

Look, the real issue is with the NCAA for levying such a heavy penalty. Suing the government for using the wrong methods to find out you broke rules doesn’t make sense to me. Should everyone that did the illegal search lose their jobs? Sure. Should you get money from the government for it? I can think of a ton of better reasons to get money from them than that…

bad example.

let’s say you are having an affair with the ceo of your company’s wife. some bored nsa guy illegally accessed your email and gets the pictures then sends them to the ceo. ceo fired you. you think the government has no culpability in the loss of wages that were a result of their illegal search?

bad example.

let’s say you are having an affair with the ceo of your company’s wife. some bored nsa guy illegally accessed your email and gets the pictures then sends them to the ceo. ceo fired you. you think the government has no culpability in the loss of wages that were a result of their illegal search?
Seriously? No, you shouldn’t gain squat for screwing your boss’s wife and losing your job NO MATTER who told him. Should the NSA guy lose his job? Absolutely, Should the NSA do some type of full fledged revamping of protocol so it hopefully doesn’t happen? no doubt. Should you benefit from someone telling on you for doing something monumentally stupid that would really hurt you if a certain party found out? I shouldn’t even have to answer that…

Seriously? No, you shouldn’t gain squat for screwing your boss’s wife and losing your job NO MATTER who told him. Should the NSA guy lose his job? Absolutely, Should the NSA do some type of full fledged revamping of protocol so it hopefully doesn’t happen? no doubt. Should you benefit from someone telling on you for doing something monumentally stupid that would really hurt you if a certain party found out? I shouldn’t even have to answer that…

ok agree to disagree.

Reactions: el dub
I am not arguing against any of that. Just simply what would the Iowa wrestlers sue for and gain from it?

I don't even play a lawyer on TV but I imagine if the state illegally violates your rights and reports said findings to your de facto employer, that will hold sway with juries. The Iowa wrestlers did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law and yet they still got reported. The state of Iowa really does not want this to get to a jury in this state.

How about this then? Should every single person that had their privacy violated in any way by the illegal search then sue? Wouldn’t those that did nothing wrong have an even stronger reason since they were innocent of any and all wrong doing at any level and still had their privacy violated? Why would those who actually did break rules be entitled to more?

The straight up truth is these guys aren’t where they are because of the illegal search. They are there because they broke rules. Now, I 100% believe the rule is archaic and the penalties were even more ridiculous. But, I simply do not see the government needing to pay people because they used the wrong procedures to find out that you broke those rules…

How about this then? Should every single person that had their privacy violated in any way by the illegal search then sue? Wouldn’t those that did nothing wrong have an even stronger reason since they were innocent of any and all wrong doing at any level and still had their privacy violated? Why would those who actually did break rules be entitled to more?

The straight up truth is these guys aren’t where they are because of the illegal search. They are there because they broke rules. Now, I 100% believe the rule is archaic and the penalties were even more ridiculous. But, I simply do not see the government needing to pay people because they used the wrong procedures to find out that you broke those rules…
Bust a deal, face the wheel..

Reactions: 12tdsaw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT