ADVERTISEMENT

Gambling news: ISU attorneys file motion to suppress

How about this then? Should every single person that had their privacy violated in any way by the illegal search then sue? Wouldn’t those that did nothing wrong have an even stronger reason since they were innocent of any and all wrong doing at any level and still had their privacy violated? Why would those who actually did break rules be entitled to more?

The straight up truth is these guys aren’t where they are because of the illegal search. They are there because they broke rules. Now, I 100% believe the rule is archaic and the penalties were even more ridiculous. But, I simply do not see the government needing to pay people because they used the wrong procedures to find out that you broke those rules…
Just because you don’t like it and or don’t understand it doesn’t mean it’s not right. This is the way our legal system works.

What recourse would the citizens have if you couldn’t sue the government in a court of law? There are punitive damages to disuade the government to do the illegal actions again. If there is no punishment the government will just keep doing it again and again with no repercussions.

The right to privacy is a right that every American should hold dear.
The government cannot use their power to deny us our constitutional rights. You keep saying they broke rules. Who gives a shit, rules are not laws, which by the way it seems the government has broken in this case.

I can guarantee you if others that were in the dorms at the time of the warrantless search can prove that their constitutional rights were violated, there will be plenty of “innocent” people hiring lawyers to sue the government.

Brenna Bird is the kingpin whose office authoritized the entire investigation.

Of course we know she doesn't have the integrity to admit the mistake.

Hopefully, some voters hold her accountable.
We are going to see if her office is the legal council that ok'd the illegal searches. Who authorized the searches will be a key piece of what the lawsuit will try to find out.

Sure, but that’s a tough sell to a jury.

I did something wrong and was punished. But you did something wrong to prove that I did something wrong, so I shouldn’t have been punished. So you owe me penalties for wrongfully proving I was being bad.

Add to the fact that all of them cooperated and admitted that they did the wrong deed, I would be pretty shocked if any of them pursue this route.
I don’t think it’s a tough sell at all. You violated my rights and in doing so collected evidence against me. This is the exact reason why DAs drop cases….because LE officials occasionally collect evidence illegally. Great grounds for a lawsuit and I think we will see some.

AND those that keep saying "They broke the rules" GIVE IT A BREAK OK!!!!! They make these young athletes SIGN AWAY THEIR LIFES!!! They are even doing it to my son in HS where i live.

I am 100% sure they have NO DRINKING, NO SMOKING, NO DRUGS ETC...... My guess would be 99.9% of ALL college athletes ARE BREAKING THE RULES about something or another!!!

Hell we use to sneak into the food hall to scrounge a free meal. Some kids I know made a profession out of sneaking in. I do not know a single kid on my college team that did not drink from time to time. How about a little "help" lets say on tests, papers, reports etc.....

This was ALL about the POS NCAA making some sort of BS statement to protect their pocketbook and nothing more. You know they would not go after a big time college football team right? I mean how did they decide to go after IOWA WRESTLING/ WRESTLERS?????

You going to tell me some SCUMBAG had nothing better to do and decided to F**K a bunch of athletes from IOWA ONLY???? Somewhere we are NOT getting what in hell happened, why it happened, who "pushed it" to happen etc.....

FOLLOW THE $$$$$!!!!!

What can they sue for???? REALLY???? Most of these kids have been wrestling almost their entire lives! These are TOP athletes, maybe in the 1 out of 10,000 range who make it to this level. Forget about money they may have lost. It would certainly be a MENTAL ANGUISH suit for me.

1000s of house, tons of sacrifice looking to accomplish a life long goal. Plus my teammates, coaches, fans, family. OK, I bet, suspend me for a match, make me do some volunteer work/community service. Who appointed some COCKROACH KING and gave them a "death sentence!?!?!?"

The POS NCAA can KISS MY ASS!!!! ANY respect I might have still had for them is L O N G gone!!!! I hope ALL these kids get a boat load of money from them and all who screwed them!!!

Just because you don’t like it and or don’t understand it doesn’t mean it’s not right. This is the way our legal system works.

What recourse would the citizens have if you couldn’t sue the government in a court of law? There are punitive damages to disuade the government to do the illegal actions again. If there is no punishment the government will just keep doing it again and again with no repercussions.

The right to privacy is a right that every American should hold dear.
The government cannot use their power to deny us our constitutional rights. You keep saying they broke rules. Who gives a shit, rules are not laws, which by the way it seems the government has broken in this case.

I can guarantee you if others that were in the dorms at the time of the warrantless search can prove that their constitutional rights were violated, there will be plenty of “innocent” people hiring lawyers to sue the government.
Seriously? You honestly believe the government having to pay money is punitive, let alone a deterrent in any way? They are already printing money at a record pace. What is punitive is actually punishing the perpetrators and putting rules in place so it doesn’t happen again.

Again, the issue should be with the NCAA for the severe punishment. But, saying I should get money because I lost something very important ONLY because the group that told on me did it illegally seems like something a reasonable jury wouldn’t say yeah you deserve a million dollars…

Seriously? You honestly believe the government having to pay money is punitive, let alone a deterrent in any way? They are already printing money at a record pace. What is punitive is actually punishing the perpetrators and putting rules in place so it doesn’t happen again.

Again, the issue should be with the NCAA for the severe punishment. But, saying I should get money because I lost something very important ONLY because the group that told on me did it illegally seems like something a reasonable jury wouldn’t say yeah you deserve a million dollars…
The fact that the government conducted the search illegally gives the athletes standing to sue, period. They will do so and win. As far as how much they’ll receive in damages, we’ll have to wait and see

Also defamation of character they smeared these kids names. The NCAA and the legal case aren't tied together. The universities self report these things. So the NCAA won't change the punishment. The state will be paying theses kids for sure sad part is it's the taxpayers $

So, let’s say a murderer had his time murdering more people taken away due to an illegal search. Should he be able to sue?

Look, the real issue is with the NCAA for levying such a heavy penalty. Suing the government for using the wrong methods to find out you broke rules doesn’t make sense to me. Should everyone that did the illegal search lose their jobs? Sure. Should you get money from the government for it? I can think of a ton of better reasons to get money from them than that…
Yes!

Seriously? No, you shouldn’t gain squat for screwing your boss’s wife and losing your job NO MATTER who told him. Should the NSA guy lose his job? Absolutely, Should the NSA do some type of full fledged revamping of protocol so it hopefully doesn’t happen? no doubt. Should you benefit from someone telling on you for doing something monumentally stupid that would really hurt you if a certain party found out? I shouldn’t even have to answer that…
You can keep stating the same question over and over. It has been answered several times. An illegal activity by a government agency caused damage to Iowa athletes. Thus, the government agency is responsible to pay damages to the affected parties.

you are totally wrong! Repeating your dumb statements will not make it true.

Who were the perpetrators? The athletes were thought to be, however it’s now the Iowa DCI and any other branch of the Iowa Government who colluded with them. They are the ones who were harmful, acted illegally and were immoral.
There are laws in place to protect citizens from witch-hunts.
The DCI’s actions were most definitely punitive, they intended to do harm by targeting only a few select individuals athletes at Iowa and Iowa State. The attorneys are not going to have a difficult time proving the motive was targeted by the DCI. They knew full well if they coerced a statement of guilt from the individuals they interrogated, the Universities would have to report it to the NCAA. They also knew the NCAA would hand down banishment from participation and how long each individual would be suspended based on the type of bets they placed. This is irrefutable evidence of punitive and defamatory conduct towards the individuals they pressed charges against.
Do you seriously think a jury is not going to believe beyond a reasonable doubt these actions were not punitive and defaming in nature?

Last edited:
You can keep stating the same question over and over. It has been answered several times. An illegal activity by a government agency caused damage to Iowa athletes. Thus, the government agency is responsible to pay damages to the affected parties.

you are totally wrong! Repeating your dumb statements will not make it true.
Thank you for this response. It is the exact type I look for from an opposing point of view.

What is the information about various activities out there publicly, I do not believe a person is immune from certain civil consequences. Even it is deemed the government used illegal means to produce the evidence.

In a local case, it was suspected by some students that a teacher was a pervert, spying on girls in the locker room. There were rumors that he had videotapes of girls changing or showering.

Some boys from the school broke into his home, found the videotapes, and had them over to police. The man was arrested, tried and convicted, because the police did not illegally obtain the tapes. Even though the actions of breaking into someone’s home was illegal. The evidence was allowed.

This man was fired from his job. Information about certain activities is out there in the public you’re not necessarily immune from various civil penalties. Especially if these penalties violate the rules of an organization like the NCAA.

So, let’s say a murderer had his time murdering more people taken away due to an illegal search. Should he be able to sue?

Look, the real issue is with the NCAA for levying such a heavy penalty. Suing the government for using the wrong methods to find out you broke rules doesn’t make sense to me. Should everyone that did the illegal search lose their jobs? Sure. Should you get money from the government for it? I can think of a ton of better reasons to get money from them than that…
Dude go back to school and take a civics class or read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Keep reading until you understand what our rights are.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Dude go back to school and take a civics class or read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Keep reading until you understand what our rights are.
I never once said they don’t have the “right” to sue. I simply said I do NOT see the damages necessary to deserve significant monies for what happened.

They weren’t wrongly indicted for a crime they didn’t commit. They weren’t wrongly incarcerated. All the government did was turn over information showing they broke rules, of which the athletes did not deny.

So, the only way they were wronged by the government was HOW they acquired that information. I have already said that the actual people that were responsible should lose their jobs and the offices involved add steps and procedures so it doesn’t happen again.

Finally, what we are actually only arguing is one simple thing. Who thinks anyone and everyone deserves money from the government for the way they broke that privacy? Anything and everything that happened to them after that violation was because of what the athletes actually did.

Our fundamental difference appears to be over who is actually responsible for the “damages” that resulted after the illegal search. To me those damages are the athletes’ fault and then inevitably the NCAA’s for using an archaic rule to levy such an over the top ridiculous penalty…

I never once said they don’t have the “right” to sue. I simply said I do NOT see the damages necessary to deserve significant monies for what happened.

They weren’t wrongly indicted for a crime they didn’t commit. They weren’t wrongly incarcerated. All the government did was turn over information showing they broke rules, of which the athletes did not deny.

So, the only way they were wronged by the government was HOW they acquired that information. I have already said that the actual people that were responsible should lose their jobs and the offices involved add steps and procedures so it doesn’t happen again.

Finally, what we are actually only arguing is one simple thing. Who thinks anyone and everyone deserves money from the government for the way they broke that privacy? Anything and everything that happened to them after that violation was because of what the athletes actually did.

Our fundamental difference appears to be over who is actually responsible for the “damages” that resulted after the illegal search. To me those damages are the athletes’ fault and then inevitably the NCAA’s for using an archaic rule to levy such an over the top ridiculous penalty…
That's all true, but still the rules were broken and this won't change the NCAA suspensions. The government can be wrong in how they obtained information but once it's in public you re not immune from any penalties such as civil penalties.

A Madam has her client list illegally leaked due to an illegal search warrant. Maybe you won't be found guilty of solicitation but your wife will still divorce your ass.

Again you repeat the same incorrect information about lawsuits. The athletes not only have the right to sue, they have suffered damages because of that illegal activity by the government; thus, they will most likely win their suit and win money as a result. You obviously have not spent time in court, have you?

It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. Evidence was collected illegally and promises were subsequently made to get confessions and not kept. The illegal actions by authorities directly led to defamation and loss of income (NIL) as well as loss of eligibility to participate in wrestling.

Brenna Bird is the kingpin whose office authoritized the entire investigation.

Of course we know she doesn't have the integrity to admit the mistake.

Hopefully, some voters hold her accountable.
That’s a lie & you know it.

Again you repeat the same incorrect information about lawsuits. The athletes not only have the right to sue, they have suffered damages because of that illegal activity by the government; thus, they will most likely win their suit and win money as a result. You obviously have not spent time in court, have you?
Nothing I have said is incorrect. I literally gave my opinion. As far as time in court goes, I have probably spent more time than anyone on here that isn’t a litigator. Granted, most of it is as an expert witness in my field vs. any lawsuit remotely similar to this in nature.

I guess we will see what happens. With that said, what I actually expect will happen is, if enough do bring a suit forward, the government will quickly settle as long as no one asks for an exorbitant sum…

Reactions: el dub
It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. Evidence was collected illegally and promises were subsequently made to get confessions and not kept. The illegal actions by authorities directly led to defamation and loss of income (NIL) as well as loss of eligibility to participate in wrestling.
I really am not arguing against nearly all of what you said. My argument is simply about them deserving money for it. When it comes to criminal law, I am quite liberal. However, when it comes to suits, I lean heavily towards the damages NEEDING to happen when the plaintiff has done nothing wrong and yet was significantly wronged. That would sway me HEAVILY as a juror…when you deserve everything that happened to you EXCEPT for how the evidence was found, I would be considerably less sympathetic and would think many level headed people would think the same.

It's the truth and YOU know it.
Iowa currently has the most corrupt political leadership that I've ever seen since I was old enough to vote.

The Iowa AG is in way over her head.
Good Lord you’re a drama queen lol.
And please don’t tell a lie and then try to tell me it’s the truth and that I know it.

How about this then? Should every single person that had their privacy violated in any way by the illegal search then sue? Wouldn’t those that did nothing wrong have an even stronger reason since they were innocent of any and all wrong doing at any level and still had their privacy violated? Why would those who actually did break rules be entitled to more?

The straight up truth is these guys aren’t where they are because of the illegal search. They are there because they broke rules. Now, I 100% believe the rule is archaic and the penalties were even more ridiculous. But, I simply do not see the government needing to pay people because they used the wrong procedures to find out that you broke those rules…

So your argument is this...the athletes broke the rules, it should cost them eligibility and $$$ because they knowingly did so even if said rules are dumb. I agree. However, you don't agree that those who knowingly violated their Constitutional rights and and threw away procedural law in doing so should not be punished? In this case, you are holding our wrestlers, who broke no laws, to a higher standard than the state. IMO, the Constitution is a bit more sacred than the NCAA guidelines and the only way to keep lawmakers and those that enforce it honest is to have the right to redress it. Accountability works both ways here. You seem conservative....you should get this.

So while this may have served as a warning shot across the bow to athletes and gambling initially, the state of Iowa's absolute clusterf*ck of an investigation also serves as a warning to states and ambitious lawyers who want to make hay off the back of the college jocks in their jurisdiction. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

I really am not arguing against nearly all of what you said. My argument is simply about them deserving money for it. When it comes to criminal law, I am quite liberal. However, when it comes to suits, I lean heavily towards the damages NEEDING to happen when the plaintiff has done nothing wrong and yet was significantly wronged. That would sway me HEAVILY as a juror…when you deserve everything that happened to you EXCEPT for how the evidence was found, I would be considerably less sympathetic and would think many level headed people would think the same.
But when you throw out the illegally obtained evidence and look at the false promises made to procure confessions, you’re looking at damages to those whose careers were cut short due to illegal searches.

So your argument is this...the athletes broke the rules, it should cost them eligibility and $$$ because they knowingly did so even if said rules are dumb. I agree. However, you don't agree that those who knowingly violated their Constitutional rights and and threw away procedural law in doing so should not be punished? In this case, you are holding our wrestlers, who broke no laws, to a higher standard than the state. IMO, the Constitution is a bit more sacred than the NCAA guidelines and the only way to keep lawmakers and those that enforce it honest is to have the right to redress it. Accountability works both ways here. You seem conservative....you should get this.

So while this may have served as a warning shot across the bow to athletes and gambling initially, the state of Iowa's absolute clusterf*ck of an investigation also serves as a warning to states and ambitious lawyers who want to make hay off the back of the college jocks in their jurisdiction. The juice is not worth the squeeze.
I get this. But do I seem conservative to you? The law should have nothing to do with politics.

Read some of my responses more closely. I absolutely said those that perpetrated the illegal searches should be punished. I said they should lose their jobs and I would hope criminal charges happen as well. I also said steps should be taken and procedures changed, so that it never happens again.

Honestly, my only issue here is the wrestlers actually benefitting from it financially. To me, the fact that the ISU kids actually did break the law, they are benefiting more than enough by having their charges dropped…

Last edited:
Like I said earlier… drama queen
I REALLY, REALLY hope that all the details of the entire investigation are made public during this potential lawsuit.

But I think, to protect themselves, there will be some negotiated settlement from the State of Iowa to spare certain elected officials the embarrassment and bury the blame.

I'll be more than willing to apologize if proven wrong.

That is a criminal thing, however you are not immune to civil penalties or consequences for your illegal activities even if they information was not gathered legally. Think of a bust at a brothel and your name is released. Maybe you can sue for damages but your wife is still taking you to the cleaners for infidelity. You know private detectives don't need warrants necessarily for what they do?

Read some of my responses more closely. I absolutely said those that perpetrated the illegal searches should be punished. I said they should lose their jobs and I would hope criminal charges happen as well. I also said steps should be taken and procedures changed, so that it never happens again.

With state jo

Honestly, my only issue here is the wrestlers actually benefitting from it financially. To me, the fact that the ISU kids actually did break the law, they are benefiting more than enough by having their charges dropped…
With state it'll be a slap on the wrist. And again , civil penalties can still apply. Civil penalties could be sanctions by an organization for example.

I'll say it again , years ago in my area there was a rumor that a coach or gym teacher, a male was video taping young female students in the changing room or shower. Some guy from the school broke into his house based on this rumor, which is a crime. However since they were not LE or prompted to do this by LE, the tapes they found were used against him. I do recall his lawyer arguing that the evidence was obtained illegally, but that objection was tossed. Now imagine if the judge said it was and they couldn't use it? Should he still be fired?

I'd argue yes.

That is a criminal thing, however you are not immune to civil penalties or consequences for your illegal activities even if they information was not gathered legally. Think of a bust at a brothel and your name is released. Maybe you can sue for damages but your wife is still taking you to the cleaners for infidelity. You know private detectives don't need warrants necessarily for what they do?
These weren’t private detectives. They were public servants. And the laws they broke are more serious than the subsequent gambling charges brought forth by their illegal search.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT