ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

Definitely need a point in the portal.
Or two! Hawks have literally no PG to start the season. Stremlow might work into that spot, but a lot to ask from a frosh. I have a fantasy that Olivia Miles might like the job, but more likely an outside chance at Kaitlyn Chen from Princeton, who has actually declared to the portal. She's a Cali girl, so she may have her mind set on Stanford, UCLA, USC, etc. But Iowa would be be a great fit for both. Speaking of Notre Dame; they just lost their 3 best bench players to the portal. Any idea what's happening there? Oregon 2.0?

Mackenzie Holmes and Liz Kitley both had to leave games early today bc of knee injuries. VTech lost to Virginia (pretty bad loss), Indiana still beat Maryland (who still haven’t locked up a NCAA tourney berth).

Last edited:
This probably won't matter because the BTT will settle it, but the Bracketology consensus seems to have Ohio State > Iowa still for seeding and looking at their resumes I have no idea why.

Iowa's best wins are (I'm using AP rankings): 4- Ohio State, 11-Virginia Tech, 12- Indiana, 16-Kansas State, 27-Michigan State.

Ohio State's are: 3- Iowa, 12-Indiana, 27-Michigan State, 27-Michigan State

Iowa has the higher NET ranking and strength of schedule. Ohio State has 1 more Quad 1 win, but Iowa has 4 more Quad 2 wins.

The only thing pointing in Ohio State's favor are their losses to 5-USC and 7-UCLA are slightly better than Iowa's to 12-Indiana and 16-Kansas State. It seems crazy that you would give more weight to quality losses than quality wins. Even using the eye test, Iowa was the better team in 7 of the 8 quarters the two teams played.

Mackenzie Holmes and Liz Kitley both had to leave games early today bc of knee injuries. VTech lost to Virginia (pretty bad loss), Indiana still beat Maryland (who still haven’t locked up a NCAA tourney birth).
Didn't Holmes battle some knee issues last season also?

This probably won't matter because the BTT will settle it, but the Bracketology consensus seems to have Ohio State > Iowa still for seeding and looking at their resumes I have no idea why.

Iowa's best wins are (I'm using AP rankings): 4- Ohio State, 11-Virginia Tech, 12- Indiana, 16-Kansas State, 27-Michigan State.

Iowa has the higher NET ranking and strength of schedule. Ohio State has 1 more Quad 1 win, but Iowa has 4 more Quad 2 wins.

The only thing pointing in Ohio State's favor are their losses to 5-USC and 7-UCLA are slightly better than Iowa's to 12-Indiana and 16-Kansas State. It seems crazy that you would give more weight to quality losses than quality wins. Even using the eye test, Iowa was the better team in 7 of the 8 quarters the two teams played.
Agree wholeheartedly. I don't blame the bracketologists necessarily because they are just going off of the committee's recent "Top 16 Reveal." It's the committee I have an issue with. I think Iowa is being unfairly penalized for Ayoka Lee not remaining healthy. If KSU had continued their trajectory to the top of the Big 12 that would have given us a huge resume boost.

Sunday’s Ohio State-Iowa women’s college basketball game averaged a 1.9 rating and 3.39 million viewers on FOX, marking the largest audience for a regular season women’s game on any network since UConn-Tennessee in January 1999 (3.88M). The Hawkeyes’ win, which peaked with 4.42 million from 3 PM ET through the conclusion, obliterated the previous season high of 1.86 million for the first Iowa-Ohio State game this season, which aired on NBC in January.

Reactions: shikreto
Agree wholeheartedly. I don't blame the bracketologists necessarily because they are just going off of the committee's recent "Top 16 Reveal." It's the committee I have an issue with. I think Iowa is being unfairly penalized for Ayoka Lee not remaining healthy. If KSU had continued their trajectory to the top of the Big 12 that would have given us a huge resume boost.
Yeah it feels like the Committee has been very inconsistent with injuries. Stanford hasn't been docked much for losses without Brink, but Kansas State has been a ton for losses without Lee.

Committee would probably argue OSU is playing better now. Iowa's losses are more recent.

Committee would probably argue OSU is playing better now. Iowa's losses are more recent.
That probably would be their rationale, but seems to ignore almost completely:

1) Davis only played 2 minutes in the Nebraska loss, and
2) Ohio State never had to play at Indiana

I realize they can't just decide solely on numbers, but even with the eye test Iowa has looked like a better team than Ohio State except in the 4th quarter and overtime of game 1.

Glad to see that Clark was a unanimous POY selection by the 14 coaches, as well as the BIG media. Wasn’t sure Clark was ever going to get Teri Moren’s vote. Last year, Clark was not unanimous by either the coaches or the media.

True, BUT she would have been outed as a stooge if she didn't give it to Clark this year.....

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
True, BUT she would have been outed as a stooge if she didn't give it to Clark this year.....
Agreed, but still hard to get all coaches to agree about anything. Since 2001, the period of time for which there are accurate BIG records, the only unanimous POY winners as selected by the coaches are Gustafson in 2019 and Clark in 2024. Seems strange to me that none of the Ohio State gauntlet of Jessica Davenport (3-time POY), Jantel Lavender (4-time POY) or Kelsey Mitchell (3-time POY) were ever unanimous by the coaches (though Davenport was unanimous by the BIG media one year).

Agreed, but still hard to get all coaches to agree about anything. Since 2001, the period of time for which there are accurate BIG records, the only unanimous POY winners as selected by the coaches are Gustafson in 2019 and Clark in 2024. Seems strange to me that none of the Ohio State gauntlet of Jessica Davenport (3-time POY), Jantel Lavender (4-time POY) or Kelsey Mitchell (3-time POY) were ever unanimous by the coaches (though Davenport was unanimous by the BIG media one year).
Understood, but just like the NPOTY years awards this year. Given the sheer Gravity of what Clark has done growing the game, its unfathomable that anyone else could win those awards even before her once AGAIN leading all of college basketball by a wide margin in points AND assists......

The biggest growth in the team's game over the past two years has been in overall defense, rebounding, and toughness/grit. This is why Iowa can have a relatively poor shooting night and still win by 30 over a quality team.

Question for all: How far do you think the Hawks have to go in the NCAA tourney to qualify as a "great" season for Iowa women's hoops? By the way, shout out to the women's wrestling team. Has any collegiate team ever won a natty in their first year of existence?

Question for all: How far do you think the Hawks have to go in the NCAA tourney to qualify as a "great" season for Iowa women's hoops? By the way, shout out to the women's wrestling team. Has any collegiate team ever won a natty in their first year of existence?
Elite 8 feels like an expectation, right? Even in the preseason? So Final 4 makes it "great", seems to me. And that Elite 8 game will be tough - projected #2 seeds are really good teams as of this morning (UCLA, LSU, Texas)

Elite 8 feels like an expectation, right? Even in the preseason? So Final 4 makes it "great", seems to me. And that Elite 8 game will be tough - projected #2 seeds are really good teams as of this morning (UCLA, LSU, Texas)
I agree the elite 8 does feel like an expectation. But I would still consider it great making it to the elite 8. Anything less than a sweet 16 and I’m pretty bummed but that wouldn’t change the fact that we won the big ten tourney, had some great wins over good competition, and CC did historic things. The fact that this team and CC have literally changed women’s basketball makes it special regardless.

I agree the elite 8 does feel like an expectation. But I would still consider it great making it to the elite 8. Anything less than a sweet 16 and I’m pretty bummed but that wouldn’t change the fact that we won the big ten tourney, had some great wins over good competition, and CC did historic things. The fact that this team and CC have literally changed women’s basketball makes it special regardless.
I agree hoping for Elite 8 as worst-case scenario and will be disappointed with anything less. But it has already been a great season. IMO

This has somehow fallen under the radar but Kennise has confirmed on TikTok that she tore her ACL. That means she certainly won’t play next season and BOTH our true PG options for next year will be unavailable at least most of the year and probably all of it. We absolutely need a PG from the portal. I hope Bluder has reached out to Chen from Princeton.

How many times can I hit the "like" button for Shikreto's comments. Please, let Princeton come to Iowa's first round, so she can experience Carver.

It's been written she's got a wish list of UConn, UCLA and Stanford. UConn's point, Nika Muhl, has stated she's not coming back next year. Chen is from the LA area, so UCLA is really close; Stanford in the same state. I've seen her play and would love to have her, but not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: shikreto
Wow. Our 3 pt % is off the charts.
  • Stuelke 50% (lol)
  • McCabe 48.6%
  • Affolter 41.3% (!!!)
  • Davis 40.7%
  • Martin 38.7%
  • Clark 38.1% (despite her missing at least 30 in the tourney lmao)
  • Marshall 35.1%
And guess which shooter not named Clark has the most made 3s on the season? Believe it or not, none other than Gabbie Marshall…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT