ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg's tournament record

No, but the ruling here in the past was that ISU never won a division title. In fact, when a Cyclone fan pointed out that there was a trophy, he/she was roundly ridiculed. I'm OK with whatever we decide, but it has to be consistent.

LC you mean like the Directors Cup matters in certain and select times and only when isu fans say so?

No, but the ruling here in the past was that ISU never won a division title. In fact, when a Cyclone fan pointed out that there was a trophy, he/she was roundly ridiculed. I'm OK with whatever we decide, but it has to be consistent.
So in the past and talking about a completely other sport with a completely different set up something was said that applies to this? Just not seeing how it matters to this but if you do continue on.

So in the past and talking about a completely other sport with a completely different set up something was said that applies to this? Just not seeing how it matters to this but if you do continue on.
It doesn't matter to me except for consistency, because it isn't possible to have a semi-intelligent conversation if one of the parties keeps changing the definitions.

It doesn't matter to me except for consistency, because it isn't possible to have a semi-intelligent conversation if one of the parties keeps changing the definitions.

Changing the criteria or sport is the first line of defense used by isu fans. Funny how all of a sudden this has LC up in arms.

So in your quest for consistency you decide to change the sport and the criteria that was being used in this thread? Hopefully you understand my confusion with that tactic.

Using the tactic that you are complaining about to support your cause?
Seriously, this isn't complex. If you tie for a championship, does it count as a championship? The answer should be the same regardless of the sport or school, don't you think?

Of course, I could have eliminated this whole discussion by adding the word "outright," but it's too late for that now.

It is easy, if you are set up in a conference with no divisions and you tie for a title then you have a conference championship, if you are in a conference with divisions and you win your division but don't share your conference title then no you don't get to say you are a conference champion because you aren't. Division is not the same as a conference, it's typically about half of a conference. Does the conference list them as a conference champion?

It is easy, if you are set up in a conference with no divisions and you tie for a title then you have a conference championship.
Yet Hawkeye fans on this board
It is easy, if you are set up in a conference with no divisions and you tie for a title then you have a conference championship, if you are in a conference with divisions and you win your division but don't share your conference title then no you don't get to say you are a conference champion because you aren't. Division is not the same as a conference, it's typically about half of a conference. Does the conference list them as a conference champion?
Maybe you should read what I wrote. It will embarrass you, but it might make things easier for you to understand.

Look.

First, I have said I should have eliminated this whole discussion by using the adjective "outright" in the first place. My bad.

Second, I have made it very clear in all my posts when I was speaking of a conference championship and when I was speaking of a division championship.

Third, the interpretation should be the same regardless of whether we are talking about a conference championship, a division championship, basketball, football, Squamish, Iowa or Iowa State.

Fourth, in view of these facts, is it safe for me to assume that you agree ISU has won a division football championship in the Big XII?

Last edited:
I have read what you wrote and I am fairly certain I am not embarrassed. I attempted to point out that you were muddying up the thread using a tactic that you claim not to like.
First, you made a mistake, glad you admitted it, but then you kept going back to it.
Second you were clear, it didn't really apply to this thread and again is a tactic you state to not like.
Third it should be the same interpretation, not sure how it applies to this thread. Pretty certain that if Iowa wins the Big Ten West division they won't hang a conference championship banner
Fourth, ISU shared a division football championship. They are the division football co champs. Not certain how it applies to this thread.

Did you know Iowa has a football national championship? Yup and it applies about the same as the division championship you are writing about. Just way more impressive.

I have read what you wrote and I am fairly certain I am not embarrassed. I attempted to point out that you were muddying up the thread using a tactic that you claim not to like.
First, you made a mistake, glad you admitted it, but then you kept going back to it.
Second you were clear, it didn't really apply to this thread and again is a tactic you state to not like.
Third it should be the same interpretation, not sure how it applies to this thread. Pretty certain that if Iowa wins the Big Ten West division they won't hang a conference championship banner
Fourth, ISU shared a division football championship. They are the division football co champs. Not certain how it applies to this thread.

Did you know Iowa has a football national championship? Yup and it applies about the same as the division championship you are writing about. Just way more impressive.
To answer your last question first, yes; in fact, when others on this board have said Iowa doesn't have a national championship in the modern era, I pointed out the '58 title awarded by the Football Writers, which at the time had a lot of credibility because it was the only one voted upon after the bowl games AND it was voted upon only by sportswriters who covered football.

The definition I'm trying to pry out of you applies to this thread because this thread is where people have repeatedly said that ISU did not win a conference football divisional championship. My point not only applied to this thread, it went to the heart of the post criticizing my comment. If sharing a title is winning it, then Iowa has won basketball titles since 1970 and ISU has won a divisional football title. If not, not. You still be appearing to try to have it both ways.

In terms of hanging banners, ISU has not hung a banner for the divisional title -- nor for the basketball tournament titles, for that matter. We won't know how Iowa handles the football division matter until the Hawkeyes win one.

You may want to retrace this thread a little bit and see how the divisional concept was introduced.

So in a quest for consistency you made several factual errors early and then decided to bring another sport and a completely different concept into the conversation, I can see where you would think that would work. Brilliant.

Reactions: Steve.Jones
So in a quest for consistency you made several factual errors early and then decided to bring another sport and a completely different concept into the conversation, I can see where you would think that would work. Brilliant.
I think you need a timeout.

So Iowa

So Iowa State has won a divisional football championship in the Big XII? Got it.

Sure. Hang the banner and tell the Big XII you want the trophy. Raise it up the flag pole in September when you host Iowa. I promise we will do our best to keep a straight face.

Sure. Hang the banner and tell the Big XII you want the trophy. Raise it up the flag pole in September when you host Iowa. I promise we will do our best to keep a straight face.
Are you people really as stupid as you appear on here from time to time?

Says the guy who made multiple errors in the thread and changed the criteria? I think you may need to look in the mirror to see who is struggling here. Nice attempt at a diversion though. In all honesty I expect better from you, this hasn't been your best work.

Says the guy who made multiple errors in the thread and changed the criteria? I think you may need to look in the mirror to see who is struggling here. Nice attempt at a diversion though. In all honesty I expect better from you, this hasn't been your best work.
ROFL.....I made one error in this thread: I assumed the same criteria for claiming a championship would apply to Iowa that was applied to Iowa State. As I said, that was a mistake. I should have known better. And I guess I also should have known better than to expect a logical conversation, so if you count that, it makes two errors.

And when TJ's wife played basketball in Washington, so that is another one. As far as the criteria being the same for Iowa and Iowa State it is. You chose to do a division/conference comparison which is not the same. I typically expect you to provide a well thought out series of posts. You did not in this thread, multiple mistakes and a faulty comparison. Difficult to provide a logical approach to your poor effort in this thread. Maybe this helps .. ISU won a football division championship, happy now? And no it's not the same as sharing a conference championship.

Reactions: hwksforlife
And when TJ's wife played basketball in Washington, so that is another one. As far as the criteria being the same for Iowa and Iowa State it is. You chose to do a division/conference comparison which is not the same. I typically expect you to provide a well thought out series of posts. You did not in this thread, multiple mistakes and a faulty comparison. Difficult to provide a logical approach to your poor effort in this thread. Maybe this helps .. ISU won a football division championship, happy now? And no it's not the same as sharing a conference championship.
Was the comment about Allison in this thread? Wow. Additional proof the thread is too long.

You are wrong about the division/conference comparison being inappropriate, and that is one of the reasons I said it was difficult to carry on a logical conversation. I never suggested a division title and a conference title were equivalent (or identical). Moreover, no rational person would make that claim. My comment was addressed solely (and clearly) at the question of whether a shared championship can be counted as a championship. It is irrelevant whether the championship in question is a conference championship, a divisional championship, a football title, or basketball title, or a tiddlywinks title.

This started over the question of how long it has been since Iowa won a conference basketball championship. I said 45 years because in the past, posters on this board have taken the position that a shared championship is not a championship. It is nonsense to say the criteria should be different based on the team, sport, or level of competition.

So you decided to go back and forth with me over things that other people have said in the past on this board? Sounds like you are trying to pick a battle for little to no reason. Let's see if I can sum this up, one poster has been factually wrong a couple of times and decides to argue with someone who hasn't been wrong and agrees on the division question and then decides to say they can't have a logical conversation..... And then you have me. I stand behind my posts and accuracy in this thread. I really like you playing the logic card when I agreed that ISU had tied for a division title. They however do have a conference championship record similar to the Cubs ..... Did that since it seems it's okay to throw a random sport in.

So you decided to go back and forth with me over things that other people have said in the past on this board? Sounds like you are trying to pick a battle for little to no reason. Let's see if I can sum this up, one poster has been factually wrong a couple of times and decides to argue with someone who hasn't been wrong and agrees on the division question and then decides to say they can't have a logical conversation..... And then you have me. I stand behind my posts and accuracy in this thread. I really like you playing the logic card when I agreed that ISU had tied for a division title. They however do have a conference championship record similar to the Cubs ..... Did that since it seems it's okay to throw a random sport in.
OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT