ADVERTISEMENT

How this ends

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
I predict Kirk and Brian are gone at the end of this season.

Even if Iowa finishes the regular season 11-1, a real possibility, Kirk Ferentz has to realize the retirement door is wide open and there may be no better time to walk through it. The B1G changes dramatically next year. No more weak B1G West with its familiar doormats, no more early season patsies to pad the record. Competition in the league will be much stiffer with the addition of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon. Iowa is going to need a complete team effort in order to compete -- one that scores points and doesn't just prevent the other guy from scoring or having good field position -- something Iowa does not have now.

I believe Kirk is smart enough to realize the field will be significantly more challenging next season. It may be to his advantage to retire now and go out on top. But it would not surprise me if he tries to leverage that with Beth Goetz.

Iowa's offense is a national laughingstock, a distraction from an otherwise elite product on the field in defense and special teams. The "schemes" are out of date and predictable to opponents. Under Brian Ferentz, Iowa has not been able to attract the kind of skill players -- either out of high school or through the transfer portal -- to create even an average offense. Beyond linemen, Iowa seems unable to develop locally-grown 3-star talent on offense as it does with other positions.

Goetz will have no choice but to fire Brian or to at least demote him and tell Kirk to hire a new Offensive Coordinator. It's at that point that Brian's Dad will try to stand up for him and threaten to quit if Goetz doesn't back down. But that may be all a ruse to extract more severance money, both for Kirk and for Brian. To avoid a messy departure, Goetz will have no choice but to come up with it.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Even if Iowa finishes the regular season 11-1, a real possibility, Kirk Ferentz has to realize the retirement door is wide open and there may be no better time to walk through it. The B1G changes dramatically next year. No more weak B1G West with its familiar doormats, no more early season patsies to pad the record. Competition in the league will be much stiffer with the addition of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon. Iowa is going to need a complete team effort in order to compete -- one that scores points and doesn't just prevent the other guy from scoring or having good field position -- something Iowa does not have now.

Iowa believe Kirk is smart enough to realize the field will be significantly more challenging next season. It may be to his advantage to retire now and go out on top. But it would not surprise me if he tries to leverage that with Beth Goetz.

Iowa's offense is a national laughingstock, a distraction from an otherwise elite product on the field in defense and special teams. The "schemes" are out of date and predictable to opponents. Under Brian Ferentz, Iowa has not been able to attract the kind of skill players -- either out of high school or through the transfer portal -- to create even an average offense. Beyond linemen, Iowa seems unable to develop locally-grown 3-star talent on offense as it does with other positions.

Goetz will have no choice but to fire Brian or to at least demote him and tell Kirk to hire a new Offensive Coordinator. It's at that point that Brian's Dad will try to stand up for him and threaten to quit if Goetz doesn't back down. But that may be all a ruse to extract more severance money, both for Kirk and for Brian. To avoid a messy departure, Goetz will have no choice but to come up with it.

Prove me wrong.
Ok

I honestly don’t believe that Kirk Ferentz is going to voluntarily leave early, unless it’s so Brian can take over as head coach. Might as well gear up for another six seasons of the Kirk and Brian show (and pray that nothing happens to Phil Parker).

Iowa believe Kirk is smart enough to realize the field will be significantly more challenging next season. It may be to his advantage to retire now and go out on top. But it would not surprise me if he tries to leverage that with Beth Goetz.

Prove me wrong.

Tldr

Reactions: AlvySinger
I honestly don’t believe that Kirk Ferentz is going to voluntarily leave early, unless it’s so Brian can take over as head coach. Might as well gear up for another six seasons of the Kirk and Brian show (and pray that nothing happens to Phil Parker).
I would honestly rather have Brian be the next head coach if it means he never calls another offensive play at iowa. It’s that bad.

Next year's schedule is manageable. The 2025 schedule is daunting.
I think KF will be here for at least one more year.
Not so sure about BF.

I would honestly rather have Brian be the next head coach if it means he never calls another offensive play at iowa. It’s that bad.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Prove me wrong.

I'm going with a bit of a wild card prediction, an asteroid hits the earth before the end of the year. Can't wait to start a "reap it" thread!

I'm going with a bit of a wild card prediction, an asteroid hits the earth before the end of the year. Can't wait to start a "reap it" thread!
Which has a better chance of happening: asteroid hitting the earth or the Middle East erupting in all-out nuclear war?

Pick one.

How many millions of reasons are there for Ferentz to stay at least 1 more year?
I’d say at least 6 or 7 million.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Prove me wrong.
Those high powered West Coast offenses won’t hunt in the Midwest in October. A year of tough Big Ten Defense on your players bodies will beat them up as well. Give those West Coast teams a year, they will change their game.

I dont think Kirk is afraid of a more challenging Big 10 conf. These coaches relish the challenge. I think your premise is flawed. Kirk might leave after a great year because this is his 25th year, quite a good record at Iowa, and he is about 68 years old.

Kirk has enough money that none of his kid's have to worry about being poor.

Reactions: Mister Plow
After a 11-3 season, they tell Kirk that he will either have to demote Brian, or let him go. After a few weeks finding Brian a new spot in the NFL, they then announce Kirk will stay on in some type of mentor role with the new staff.
He also replaces Corso on Gameday putting on the Herky head every Saturday attracting stars from the movie and music industry each week.

I thinkif Brian is forced out Kirk will hang it up. I think after coaching with his son he won't want to without him.

I'm afraid Parker will leave when Kirk retires.

I'm fully on board with Kirk staying, as long as he shows his son the door.

Brian has to go. There's no other coach in all of college football that would retain him.

I don't think KF has any expectation that BF will replace him. He's powerful but not a moron. If he's retiring, his influence will go down immediately.

I think that this is BF's last season. No matter what happens, I think that BF or KF will say that the noise is a distraction and he's leaving. Whether KF follows him out the door...that's what I'm wondering.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I don't think KF has any expectation that BF will replace him. He's powerful but not a moron. If he's retiring, his influence will go down immediately.

I think that this is BF's last season. No matter what happens, I think that BF or KF will say that the noise is a distraction and he's leaving. Whether KF follows him out the door...that's what I'm wondering.
Concur. I think Brian exits voluntarily. Kirk picks a new OC. My guess would be LeVar would be bumped into it.

The only thing I care about is if it's their last year, fine, but retain Parker at all cost. Something like the AD tells each candidate, in advance, it's Parker's show on D. Period. And if that's even a slight problem, don't bother to apply.

Reactions: Bullethawk31
I can see this being KF's last season. The reason is more likely to be not wanting to bother traveling west all the time. If we can win 10+ games and get to the BTT, he could well see it as a good high on which to end.

I could also see him coaching until he's 100, so who knows.

Prove me wrong.
They will run from what is coming up. Watching Oregon vs Washington and having that inept pillow fight between two just awful teams Whisky and Iowa on a the same time. Was like watching the NFL vs high school. The level of difference in the level of play was laughable. Real offense, real athletes vs punt punt punt.
Hawks better blow the Big 10 West, that 41-3 loss to Michigan the last time, will be a halftime score. Minus the 3.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I'm afraid Parker will leave when Kirk retires.

I'm fully on board with Kirk staying, as long as he shows his son the door.

Brian has to go. There's no other coach in all of college football that would retain him.
Parker doesn't want anything to do with the new schedule anymore than KF. Leave while you have everyone fooled. The D guru will go away when Oregon, PennSt, OhioSt, Michigan, Washington, USC, and UCLA start throwing up 40 plus four times a year. Old saying ... know when to get out, before they throw you out.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I can see this being KF's last season. The reason is more likely to be not wanting to bother traveling west all the time. If we can win 10+ games and get to the BTT, he could well see it as a good high on which to end.

I could also see him coaching until he's 100, so who knows.
If he coaches until he’s 100 his offensive play book will be 50 years behind the rest of college football.🥺

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT