ADVERTISEMENT

"I have seen it first hand." JBo talks about the corrupt officiating

Not a good look for you JBO. You lost a great deal of respect with that conspiracy bs.
He wants to be taken seriously and he's just casually throwing it out there that there is rampant fixing of games. If true, then shouldn't he be making a much bigger deal out of it than sharing it on a podcast?

Good luck in the professional career with this.

It's just JBO's opinion, not fact. If the coaching staff had any inkling that the games were fixed, wouldn't you think they would be the first to raise concerns about the legitimacy of the officiating? Not saying it doesn't happen, but referees are human and mistakes are made during every game, but yes, there are some referees that work the Big Ten that make you shake your head and wander.
Fran has gone off on some Big Ten referees for blatant disregard for game fairness, but in every instance he didn't come out and actually accuse anyone for stealing and throwing a game, has he?
OK, he's been mad as hell and has called a few of them word redacted!

I didn't listen, but could he have perhaps meant "biased" instead of corrupt? I could see where one would think certain officials are predisposed to be against certain teams/coaches/programs. As someone pointed out, officials are human and despite best efforts may let their feelings cause a whistle to blow....or not blow.

He's not saying anything new.... heck Bobby Knight said as much 30 plus years ago. officials have way to much control over outcomes and margins and have very little oversight at the collegiate level.

If you don't think there is corruption in the officiating ranks and just want to hate on JBo some more we know who you are.

Made me think of the game a few years ago.....I think Ohio State, where Fran got in trouble for "confronting" the official in the tunnel? Might have threatened him?

Throwing out an accusation like this without citing any evidence is an amateur move, something you would expect from a high school kid recording his first podcast in his parents' basement, not something you would expect from a college graduate who is seemingly trying to base part of his professional career on this kind of thing.

I wonder what percentage of the games we won during his time at Iowa were fixed?

Reactions: dean_oliver222
At Rutgers last year was extremely suspect. No question it happens, particularly in this age of online betting.

It's funny/weird/disappointing how much hate JBo gets from even Iowa fans despite all of the positive moments he provided in his career.
Its not about hating the kid. Its just his DEAL. Even now, its all about him, and remaining somehow relevant. Please explain how just throwing this out there with no way to back any of this up does anything for anyone except to once again keep him, and his persona, (JBO) out in the public conscience.

There are a lot of bad officials because (1) they just suck at it and get the calls wrong; or (2) they are corrupt/have something against Fran/like being on TV (Ted Valentine).

Remember in last year's NCAA tournament game when Kris clearly got fouled on a 3 pointer late in the game and nothing was called? IIRC, Providence then went the other way, we fouled, and they made 2 FTs. A potential 5 point swing right there. Did the ref or refs just suck in that game? Probably.

There are a lot of bad officials because (1) they just suck at it and get the calls wrong; or (2) they are corrupt/have something against Fran/like being on TV (Ted Valentine).

Remember in last year's NCAA tournament game when Kris clearly got fouled on a 3 pointer late in the game and nothing was called? IIRC, Providence then went the other way, we fouled, and they made 2 FTs. A potential 5 point swing right there. Did the ref or refs just suck in that game? Probably.
I think the refs just sucked in the Richmond game. That said, ever since the Tim Donaghy thing, my distrust of refs has gone way up.

Its not about hating the kid. Its just his DEAL. Even now, its all about him, and remaining somehow relevant. Please explain how just throwing this out there with no way to back any of this up does anything for anyone except to once again keep him, and his persona, (JBO) out in the public conscience.
Well, yeah, he's been clearly trying to build his talking head/social media presence for years, and this is what they do. You don't get noticed and views saying nothing controversial. I don't like it, but people saying he lost a great deal of respect or reason #23,876 they won't cheer for him, because of this? Seems a little over the top.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Well, yeah, he's been clearly trying to build his talking head/social media presence for years, and this is what they do. You don't get noticed and views saying nothing controversial. I don't like it, but people saying he lost a great deal of respect or reason #23,876 they won't cheer for him, because of this? Seems a little over the top.

there's been at least 1 official where Iowa requested that he not officiate Iowa games. I guess that example would fall under (2) that official was corrupt/had something against Fran/liked being on TV (Ted Valentine).

Anyone that doesn't think that there are refs out there that are biased has their heads in the sand.

Having said that, saying 20% of games with no supporting evidence to back that up is BS. We've seen it happen with our own eyes over the years. We've seen our own coach call it out. Heck, there's a reason that we don't play at UNI anymore. But if you're going to make the claim you better stand up and point to your evidence.

I’m amazed more people don’t agree with JBo. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that some college officials are corrupt. I’ve thought it was pretty obvious for years now. With the increase in betting opportunities throughout the country, I have a hard time believing that there aren’t refs making easy money fixing games/spreads.

Last edited:
I’m amazed more people don’t agree with JBo. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that some college officials are corrupt. I’ve thought it was pretty obvious for years now. With the increase in betting opportunities throughout the country, I have a hard time believing that there aren’t refs making east money fixing games/spreads.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure to some degree it does. I just think his comments, (without throwing out some actual evidence), help no one, and are just him keeping "JBO" out there.

Just from watching the games the refs call a bunch of fouls against one team in the first half and then call the game totally different in the second half to keep the fouls looking even.
So the refs work together as a crew to fix games?

lol

JBo sounds like every other gum flapping turd warming up a barstool in Rubeville, USA. We lost. It’s fixed! Evidence? …..uuuhhhh….We lost. What more evidence do you need?

Just pathetic.

I’m not speaking for or against JBO…but my impression after listening was not that he thought every game they lost was the result of corruption…..his comment was basically that off the top of his head maybe 20% of the losses were affected by crooked refs. While that’s an astounding statement and number it’s just the opinion of that young man. I find it hard to believe….. but wow officiating has been terrible.

So the refs work together as a crew to fix games?

lol

JBo sounds like every other gum flapping turd warming up a barstool in Rubeville, USA. We lost. It’s fixed! Evidence? …..uuuhhhh….We lost. What more evidence do you need?

Just pathetic.
Watch college basketball games more closely this year and you'll see.

I’m not speaking for or against JBO…but my impression after listening was not that he thought every game they lost was the result of corruption…..his comment was basically that off the top of his head maybe 20% of the losses were affected by crooked refs. While that’s an astounding statement and number it’s just the opinion of that young man. I find it hard to believe….. but wow officiating has been terrible.

What I find interesting is that Fran, after that Ohio State loss, didn't tell the ref that he sucks at his job. Instead, Fran, to that ref's face, called him a a cheating mother "bleeper".

And now we have a player who also didn't simply say that the refs are terrible. He said that some are actually corrupt.

So, we have a coach and a player alleging corruption based on what they saw up close, on the court.

Ever since that Ohio State incident, Fran has been very careful not to say anything wrong in order to avoid a fine and suspension.

I think what we are seeing in this thread is that people who didn't care for JBo are immediately reacting negatively to his comments.

I am not saying either Fran or JBo is right or wrong because I don't know. But I do find it interesting that both a coach and a player have alleged cheating has been going on and I am not simply going to shoot the messenger based on whether I like them or not.

I’m amazed more people don’t agree with JBo. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that some college officials are corrupt. I’ve thought it was pretty obvious for years now. With the increase in betting opportunities throughout the country, I have a hard time believing that there aren’t refs making east money fixing games/spreads.

they are simply shooting the messenger

Watch college basketball games more closely this year and you'll see.
See what? Crews working together to fix a game? lol

How “closely“ will I have to watch? What specifically should I be focusing on? Do you have to skip your meds for a day or two before the game in order to watch it “closely?”

Ever seen a non-Iowa game that was fixed? Ever seen a non-Iowa game period?

This sh*t is embarrassing. Yes, basketball is the easiest game to fix. Yes out of thousands and thousands of games over the course of decades, I’m sure that it’s happened (not entire crews working together, though…that’s stupid af for many different reasons), but if you’re going to start slinging specific accusations around (”at least 20% of losses fixed by corrupt refs”) without offering even one shred of objectively verifiable evidence, you’re going to look like a pathetic loser. ….And that cute new bartender down at Tommy’s Dipsh*t Pub thinks you’re annoying and should bathe more often.

Just the way it is.

With the money out there these days it would be naïve to think lines in certain games are not fixed by refs and players at times. We had a rash of point shaving instances over 2 decades ago when the money involved was a pittance of what it is today.

Is JBO spewing hyperbole, most likely, and I would agree it's often more incompetence than corruption. That said i'm sure corruption happens more frequently than anyone would like.

In bball, overcome bad officiating by playing smart, knowing what the refs are looking at and looking for by asking them, not yelling or rolling eyes at them or accusing them of bias.

Also, refs can’t control if a ball goes into the hoop. If the game is out of reach, then refs have little effect on the game.

Reactions: natchrlman
See what? Crews working together to fix a game? lol

How “closely“ will I have to watch? What specifically should I be focusing on? Do you have to skip your meds for a day or two before the game in order to watch it “closely?”

Ever seen a non-Iowa game that was fixed? Ever seen a non-Iowa game period?

This sh*t is embarrassing. Yes, basketball is the easiest game to fix. Yes out of thousands and thousands of games over the course of decades, I’m sure that it’s happened (not entire crews working together, though…that’s stupid af for many different reasons), but if you’re going to start slinging specific accusations around (”at least 20% of losses fixed by corrupt refs”) without offering even one shred of objectively verifiable evidence, you’re going to look like a pathetic loser. ….And that cute new bartender down at Tommy’s Dipsh*t Pub thinks you’re annoying and should bathe more often.

Just the way it is.
Good God you're a stupid ****.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT