ADVERTISEMENT

"I have seen it first hand." JBo talks about the corrupt officiating

So the refs work together as a crew to fix games?

lol

JBo sounds like every other gum flapping turd warming up a barstool in Rubeville, USA. We lost. It’s fixed! Evidence? …..uuuhhhh….We lost. What more evidence do you need?

Just pathetic.
You’re blind if you haven’t seen gross imbalance officiating in college basketball games. It’s comical how obvious the corruption is in some games. It’s a bit naive to just chalk up those games as ref incompetence.

I didn't listen, but could he have perhaps meant "biased" instead of corrupt? I could see where one would think certain officials are predisposed to be against certain teams/coaches/programs. As someone pointed out, officials are human and despite best efforts may let their feelings cause a whistle to blow....or not blow.
Biased, mistaken, poor angle - there are many reasons for bad officiating, either on an individual call or an entire game. Corrupt is also on the list of possibilities, but I'm not going to go there until someone with facts steps up.

Show me the money.

Reactions: perryhawk

lol

JBo sounds like every other gum flapping turd warming up a barstool in Rubeville, USA. We lost. It’s fixed! Evidence? …..uuuhhhh….We lost. What more evidence do you need?

Just pathetic.
you wouldn’t be the same herklejerk that was on the WUW call in show would you?

Biased, mistaken, poor angle - there are many reasons for bad officiating, either on an individual call or an entire game. Corrupt is also on the list of possibilities, but I'm not going to go there until someone with facts steps up.

Show me the money.
There’s a doc on Netflix right now of a full time, well compensated NBA ref that fixed games. College refs are not full time which in my opinion invites the possibility of corruption to a greater degree.

I come down more on the sides of incompetence, and in some cases bias. These officials, whether we like to think so or not, are graded after the games and if there is a pattern of abuse or any indication of trying to directly control the outcome of games, it's going to show up. But if a ref doesn't like a particular coach or player, he could easily make sure that any close 50/50 calls usually go against their target, which in the long run, could affect the outcome of a game here or there.

I come down more on the sides of incompetence, and in some cases bias. These officials, whether we like to think so or not, are graded after the games and if there is a pattern of abuse or any indication of trying to directly control the outcome of games, it's going to show up. But if a ref doesn't like a particular coach or player, he could easily make sure that any close 50/50 calls usually go against their target, which in the long run, could affect the outcome of a game here or there.
graded by who?

Reactions: 2432Hawk
I haven't seen it recently, but the conferences in the past had at least one person at the game in person grading the officials for them. I know one of the guys that at least used to do that.

From personal experience in the past officiating high school ball (I did that 15 years) basketball is so much different that umpiring baseball or doing football.
  • In basketball, for every time I would make the decision to blow the whistle, I had probably made close to 10 decisions not to blow the whistle.
  • As a referee, your job is to keep the game fair as outlined by the rules and to watch out for player safety.
  • Our whistle interrupts the flow of the game, so we prefer not to use it if not needed. Many times you will see an official talking to the players rather to prevent blowing the whistle, then stepping in with the call if the players don't adjust (ex. physical play in the post).
  • Checking the balance of fouls is not a reliable indicator of the fairness of the officiating. Equal does not always equate to fair, especially when two teams play very different styles.
  • Most of the time I was reffing in a community I didn't live in so wasn't a "homer".
  • In Iowa, the coaches actually rate the officials on the back of the score sheet after the game. Those ratings are one of the factors that impact which officials get to work tournaments. Because we wanted more positive ratings, we typically didn't work more than two dates at any one school per season.
  • In some places the Athletic Director's hire the officials so what they think of you determines repeat opportunities. However in the bigger conferences such as the large Metro conference schools, the conferences assigned the officials, so accountability was there.
  • We actually took a workshop where they video taped us in some games then we met with a senior official for feedback.

Last edited:
How many attempts at a podcast is this guy gonna take? Seems to me he had a different one a few years ago which contained 'premium content' which was just a hilarious thought.

People need to realize, he is only somewhat relevant in the state of Iowa. Also, since the state is split by 2 different fanbases, that makes him somewhat relevant in 50% of the state of Iowa. Probably 12 people listen to this podcast!

See what? Crews working together to fix a game? lol

How “closely“ will I have to watch? What specifically should I be focusing on? Do you have to skip your meds for a day or two before the game in order to watch it “closely?”

Ever seen a non-Iowa game that was fixed? Ever seen a non-Iowa game period?

This sh*t is embarrassing. Yes, basketball is the easiest game to fix. Yes out of thousands and thousands of games over the course of decades, I’m sure that it’s happened (not entire crews working together, though…that’s stupid af for many different reasons), but if you’re going to start slinging specific accusations around (”at least 20% of losses fixed by corrupt refs”) without offering even one shred of objectively verifiable evidence, you’re going to look like a pathetic loser. ….And that cute new bartender down at Tommy’s Dipsh*t Pub thinks you’re annoying and should bathe more often.

Just the way it is.
Are you a ref? Asking for a friend.

Show me the money.
Money is in the refs pockets.

• Haha
Reactions: Herklejerk
What I find interesting is that Fran, after that Ohio State loss, didn't tell the ref that he sucks at his job. Instead, Fran, to that ref's face, called him a a cheating mother "bleeper".

And now we have a player who also didn't simply say that the refs are terrible. He said that some are actually corrupt.

So, we have a coach and a player alleging corruption based on what they saw up close, on the court.

Ever since that Ohio State incident, Fran has been very careful not to say anything wrong in order to avoid a fine and suspension.

I think what we are seeing in this thread is that people who didn't care for JBo are immediately reacting negatively to his comments.

I am not saying either Fran or JBo is right or wrong because I don't know. But I do find it interesting that both a coach and a player have alleged cheating has been going on and I am not simply going to shoot the messenger based on whether I like them or not.

Fran went ape chit because his kid CMAC got at elbow and should have drawn a foul. That game at OSU, Iowa lost fair and square because they didn't play defense and some nobody Ahren's or whatever his name had career game from 3pt line since no one was guarding him.

There is bad officiating---no doubt. It takes place because certain coaches get better whistle (Izzo vs Iowa in BTT years ago). Also, after players become "stars" they get a better whistle than when they were nobodies......Keegan Murray is an example..Freshman year couldn't stay on court despite many clean bocks/steals/rebounds....Sophomore he becomes a star and very different whistle.

• Love
Reactions: dean_oliver222
What I find interesting is that Fran, after that Ohio State loss, didn't tell the ref that he sucks at his job. Instead, Fran, to that ref's face, called him a a cheating mother "bleeper".

And now we have a player who also didn't simply say that the refs are terrible. He said that some are actually corrupt.

So, we have a coach and a player alleging corruption based on what they saw up close, on the court.

Ever since that Ohio State incident, Fran has been very careful not to say anything wrong in order to avoid a fine and suspension.

I think what we are seeing in this thread is that people who didn't care for JBo are immediately reacting negatively to his comments.

I am not saying either Fran or JBo is right or wrong because I don't know. But I do find it interesting that both a coach and a player have alleged cheating has been going on and I am not simply going to shoot the messenger based on whether I like them or not.
As I said already, I don't disagree that its possible. I wouldn't be even a little surprised. I just don't see any reason that he even comes out and says that unless its to put the spot light once again on himself, as he's done so many times before. He revels in the attention, and now that he's not playing I'm sure he'll regale us with all kinds of juicy stories.....

As I said already, I don't disagree that its possible. I wouldn't be even a little surprised. I just don't see any reason that he even comes out and says that unless its to put the spot light once again on himself, as he's done so many times before. He revels in the attention, and now that he's not playing I'm sure he'll regale us with all kinds of juicy stories.....

I just find it interesting in the words used by a coach and by a player who have a close up view on what is happening on the court.

When JBo said he saw corrupt officials first hand I didn't roll my eyes and take it as him trying to shine a spot light on himself; to me, it seemed like he was simply putting a spot light on the issue. I also just took it as a topic that they were discussing, where he literally had unique information to share. IMO, I don't think he was making stuff up for ratings or shock value.

I just find it interesting in the words used by a coach and by a player who have a close up view on what is happening on the court.

When JBo said he saw corrupt officials first hand I didn't roll my eyes and take it as him trying to shine a spot light on himself; to me, it seemed like he was simply putting a spot light on the issue. I also just took it as a topic that they were discussing, where he literally had unique information to share. IMO, I don't think he was making stuff up for ratings or shock value.
So he can read their minds? If he has specific information, he should share it with NCAA. Is he the only one who “saw it?” What did he “see?”

Given his background, it’s all about attention and being a poor loser.

In bball, overcome bad officiating by playing smart, knowing what the refs are looking at and looking for by asking them, not yelling or rolling eyes at them or accusing them of bias.

Also, refs can’t control if a ball goes into the hoop. If the game is out of reach, then refs have little effect on the game.
so you think refs are consistent with what they are "looking for" during a game

and refs can't dictate the game because they "can't control if ball goes in hoop". Like they couldn't call more fouls on star player. Or they couldn't call more fouls to up total points on the over? There are so many ways they can have a massive impact on game

Reactions: Franisdaman
So he can read their minds? If he has specific information, he should share it with NCAA. Is he the only one who “saw it?” What did he “see?”

Jbo saw stuff close up, on the court. So have his teammates and his coaches. The coaches and players obviously all talk to each other but what they are thinking about the officiating rarely gets passed on to reporters in interviews.

Like I said, Fran said that one ref was not simply bad at his job; he said he was a cheating m'fer. He/Gary have asked the B1G at least 1 time for a ref to never referee an Iowa game again.

JBo is obviously more outspoken on issues than others. But we have seen other Iowa players come out after a game & say the officiating was ridiculously bad. One example is the game at Rutgers in January, where Iowa was a 3 point favorite. The phantom call on Keegan Murray with 2 seconds left in the game sent Ron Harper Jr. to the FT line, where he made both, and instead of the game going to OT, Rutgers won in regulation, 48-46.

Some people don't like Fran. Others don't like JBo. Instead of shooting the messengers, maybe we should listen to the messages and realize there's probably more going on with officiating than officials simply being bad at their jobs.

Reactions: hooper56 and F5n5
Jbo saw stuff close up, on the court. So have his teammates and his coaches. The coaches and players obviously all talk to each other but what they are thinking about the officiating rarely gets passed on to reporters in interviews.

Like I said, Fran said that one ref was not simply bad at his job; he said he was a cheating m'fer. He/Gary have asked the B1G at least 1 time for a ref to never referee an Iowa game again.

JBo is obviously more outspoken on issues than others. But we have seen other Iowa players come out after a game & say the officiating was ridiculously bad. One example is the game at Rutgers in January, where Iowa was a 3 point favorite. The phantom call on Keegan Murray with 2 seconds left in the game sent Ron Harper Jr. to the FT line, where he made both, and instead of the game going to OT, Rutgers won in regulation, 48-46.

Some people don't like Fran. Others don't like JBo. Instead of shooting the messengers, maybe we should listen to the messages and realize there's probably more going on with officiating than officials simply being bad at their jobs.
Because Fran and JBo say so?

lol smh

Embarrassing...

So you're saying as an Illini fan, you have never seen suspicious officiating? Really?

Reactions: Franisdaman

Again, I never said it is or is not happening, and I'm not shooting the messenger. You say we should listen and realize this is going on. To what end? Is him commenting going to make something come of this? NO, its not, and thats as clear as the bright blue sky. Fran blew a gasket on this very subject a few years ago. Anything result from that. Well yes, Fran not only got suspended, but he gets the shit calls probably more then any other coach in the league. Do you think the BIG or the NCAA wants someone shouting this from the rooftops, or that anything will be done about it? Hell they got the goods from the FBI on numerous coaches cheating and not much has been done with any of that either. Unless he's got the goods and he wants to parade evidence on national TV or something, this will do nothing but further inflame the fans, and as I said keep him out there for everyone to talk about.....

Show me the money.
Not only that, but if 1 out of 5 losses is due to corruption, does he have a figure on how many wins were due to Iowa getting the benefit of that corruption?

No need to attribute poor calls to malice (in most cases) when incompetence/poor officiating skills is just as likely.

what a nation of crybabies we’ve become….. don’t win a game it was the officials

don’t win an election it was rigged….. it goes on and on……

“ excuses are for wussies”
Spencer Lee after winning a national title with no acls
You just insulted your own intelligence. You’ve got skills.

Anyone that doesn't think that there are refs out there that are biased has their heads in the sand.

Having said that, saying 20% of games with no supporting evidence to back that up is BS. We've seen it happen with our own eyes over the years. We've seen our own coach call it out. Heck, there's a reason that we don't play at UNI anymore. But if you're going to make the claim you better stand up and point to your evidence.
Lol. The world's leaders are lying sacks of crap(for example)and you think JBo should have a portfolio of factual information.
Human beings lie, cheat and steal all fat everyday and the people who want to bash an individual try to use the need for "proof" as their reasoning.
Being alive is the proof.
People can put on their Mr Clean purity persona all they want but the stain of the truth is branded to them for life.

Reactions: F5n5 and WSC72

lol

Just pathetic.

That sounds like the game thread from every basketball game we ever lose on this board :)

It's just JBO's opinion, not fact. If the coaching staff had any inkling that the games were fixed, wouldn't you think they would be the first to raise concerns about the legitimacy of the officiating? Not saying it doesn't happen, but referees are human and mistakes are made during every game, but yes, there are some referees that work the Big Ten that make you shake your head and wander.
Fran has gone off on some Big Ten referees for blatant disregard for game fairness, but in every instance he didn't come out and actually accuse anyone for stealing and throwing a game, has he?
OK, he's been mad as hell and has called a few of them word redacted!

Yes he has accused an official of throwing the game. Yes he has named officials he doesnt want doing Iowa games.

Yes the league has its preferred winners and yes officials throw games for various reason$$$$

Don’t be naive.

How about that game at Minnesota, 2/8/17?

Yep, definitely cheating official in that game. No doubt in my mind.

How do you just refuse to call a timeout and then watch as a bystander?

Then nothing is said or done after the fact. By anyone? Not the conference, not the officials organization, nothing happened. Unbelievable. Well aside from corruption. Then it is believable.

Reactions: F5n5
The inability to see corruption in college BBall, including officiating is simple naivete. It's not a conspiracy, it is a business model and a very successful one at that. The growth of legal on line gambling feeds the same kind of conduct so there's a good day for everybody.

Billions of dollars change hands based on the results of major college games. Everyone from the degenerate gambling addict to the CEO of some mega media conglomerate make money off the status quo. Somehow, in the end, someone pays someone else more money for an implicit result that is mutually beneficial. Didn't the B!G just land a monster TV contract? Was Iowa a selling point, or tOSU and USC, Indiana and the Legend of Bob Knight? Think of the volume of money involved in just P5 and then ask yourself, do I truly believe there is no corruption or game fixing? To harbor such a belief you must necessarily believe that major college athletics is the one human economic endeavor in which those involved would not put a thumb on values scale in favor of pecuniary gain.

People are willing to do much worse for very much less money.​

Reactions: F5n5
From personal experience in the past officiating high school ball (I did that 15 years) basketball is so much different that umpiring baseball or doing football.
  • In basketball, for every time I would make the decision to blow the whistle, I had probably made close to 10 decisions not to blow the whistle.
  • As a referee, your job is to keep the game fair as outlined by the rules and to watch out for player safety.
  • Our whistle interrupts the flow of the game, so we prefer not to use it if not needed. Many times you will see an official talking to the players rather to prevent blowing the whistle, then stepping in with the call if the players don't adjust (ex. physical play in the post).
  • Checking the balance of fouls is not a reliable indicator of the fairness of the officiating. Equal does not always equate to fair, especially when two teams play very different styles.
  • Most of the time I was reffing in a community I didn't live in so wasn't a "homer".
  • In Iowa, the coaches actually rate the officials on the back of the score sheet after the game. Those ratings are one of the factors that impact which officials get to work tournaments. Because we wanted more positive ratings, we typically didn't work more than two dates at any one school per season.
  • In some places the Athletic Director's hire the officials so what they think of you determines repeat opportunities. However in the bigger conferences such as the large Metro conference schools, the conferences assigned the officials, so accountability was there.
  • We actually took a workshop where they video taped us in some games then we met with a senior official for feedback.

Well, you were officiating incorrectly.

You need to sit in the stands or watch on TV. At home is best because you get lots of replays from different angles. Then you get to determine if a foul should be called.

Also, you are a brave soul to admit to being a basketball ref, cause everyone knows they are either incompetent idiots or corrupt.

:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
The inability to see corruption in college BBall, including officiating is simple naivete. It's not a conspiracy, it is a business model and a very successful one at that. The growth of legal on line gambling feeds the same kind of conduct so there's a good day for everybody.

Billions of dollars change hands based on the results of major college games. Everyone from the degenerate gambling addict to the CEO of some mega media conglomerate make money off the status quo. Somehow, in the end, someone pays someone else more money for an implicit result that is mutually beneficial. Didn't the B!G just land a monster TV contract? Was Iowa a selling point, or tOSU and USC, Indiana and the Legend of Bob Knight? Think of the volume of money involved in just P5 and then ask yourself, do I truly believe there is no corruption or game fixing? To harbor such a belief you must necessarily believe that major college athletics is the one human economic endeavor in which those involved would not put a thumb on values scale in favor of pecuniary gain.

People are willing to do much worse for very much less money.
So we are naïve for not thinking the officials are committing felonies without any proof?

I'm ok with that.

And, there are still people in this world that follow the rules.

Well, you were officiating incorrectly.

You need to sit in the stands or watch on TV. At home is best because you get lots of replays from different angles. Then you get to determine if a foul should be called.

Also, you are a brave soul to admit to being a basketball ref, cause everyone knows they are either incompetent idiots or corrupt.

:rolleyes: ;)
I resemble those remarks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT