ADVERTISEMENT

I picked up Rocco Welsh this weekend.

LVCabChronicles

Scout Team
Feb 16, 2015
Though I don't drive a cab in Vegas anymore I still drive Uber when I don't have other work things going on. (I'm a real estate agent these days) While I was bummed I wasn't able to make it over to the Orleans to check out any of the Open I did manage to pick up Rocco Welsh from the Southpoint going to the airport that Sunday night after the competition. While I know a few things about the wrestling world I didn't recognize him. But after helping him and his partner with their bags into my trunk it was clear he was a wrestler. When you know you can spot it easily you know? I noticed the OSU tag on his luggage and after we climbed in I asked if there were in town for the Open and he said he was and i asked him how it went for him and he said he finished 2nd in the U20 and I was thinking they were about the same size so I asked him if he wrestled Arnold and he said he did. He was surprised that I knew who that was. He was obviously disappointed after his loss but he wasn't beating himself up over it. He did mention that he had beaten Arnold before and hoped to get the opportunity again.

I didn't realize he was from PA and soon to be a Buckeye and he mentioned he was in Young Guns and he was very suprised that I knew about that and Strittmatter and all that. I told him I was a big Iowa fan and so the conversation centered on some guys he knew like Kemerer, and Lee and I think Young? We talked about Desanto a bit and his 2nd place finish too and I mentioned how big of a fan I was of his and how the Iowa fans will always love that kid. We talked about HS a bit and he mentioned he actually was in attendance for both Lee vs Desanto matches in the HS finals. I thought that was pretty cool. Naturally we talked about Lee a while and it's not much different than the things discussed here. But Welsh was hopeful that Lee can come back.

We talked about OSU a bit and I asked why he ended up deciding on OSU, figuring he had quite a few options to consider. He said he grew up an Iowa fan for his whole life actually and that was his first choice but he thought the recruiting part of it was left up to him more than him actually being pursued by Iowa. He said Iowa had reached out to him initially and indicated their interest but after that he said it just seemed like he was the driving force behind things rather than them. I won't speculate any about the why's here but that was what he shared with me. I told him I wished him well at OSU and that I'll be pulling for him anytime he's not up against a guy in a black singlet.

Overall he's seemed like a really genuine kid. Measured. Put together. Obviously hard working. Level headed. He's really going places I get the feeling. Seems like the Buckeyes got a good one.

Lastly, though this wasn't as cool as the time I got to drive Mark Perry around, that thread is still here I imagine if anyone wants to dig it up, it was really nice to get a one on one with a competitor and get in the head a bit even if only for 15 minutes. Good shit. Chonicles, out.

It does seem like there are a lot of wrestlers that grew up Iowa fans that end up elsewhere. The story of us losing recruits from perceived lack of interest and not being pursued hard enough in recruiting is not new. We almost lost Gilman because he didn’t feel the love from the Iowa staff.

While I personally don’t like the used car salesman approach, and would like a little space to make my own level headed decision, it seems like these kids want to be fawned over, heavily pursued and want a great deal of attention from staffs. It sure seems like PSU, tOSU, etc do a better job of doing this than our staff.

How much better would we feel if we had Arnold and Welsh to man 174/184?
I see your point, but that wasn't my point. At some point Iowa needs to put some stock in these stories, very recently AOC & now Welsh. Iowa seems to let the wrestler recruit themselves too often. I think it gets masked by the die hards that just say, "Well we didn't want/need him anyway." That just prolongs the problem. If Iowa had a recruiting coordinator to wrap their arms around the process 24/7/365 I see improvement. Look at tOSU. Iowa seems to have the money they have. Why isn't Iowa gaining ground in the recruiting process?

I know that when my son was recruited by some teams, it was important to feel the team wanted him. He was a walk on type kid to the top tier programs and a scholarship type to the mid range teams. The money was a definite indicator that the program was interested, but contact was also important.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I hate hearing this over and over, especially after Larry gave us the binder.

We should have done a complete overhaul of our recruiting process at that point in time.

Just because the program has aspects that practically sell themselves, we can't rely on that. We have to have a great program AND sell the 💩 out of it!

No champions, no World Team members, two huge strikeouts in the portal. Meanwhile out east...it's frustrating.

after reading this and some other stories from Recruits who both joined the Hawkeyes and some who went elsewhere I am always reminded of the Kem Dawg story and how he had his bad visit and then Tom drove overnight in his truck to meet with Kem and seal the deal. I would honestly like to see us employ a recruiting director who was free of coaching duties and was directly involved with TNT- and their team needs. He could recruit on all the different levels and if it was off season and Hawkeye wrestlers were free he could make arrangements for them to be their on campus connection for practices or tours. I think most HS kids would thoroughly LOVE a tour with Spencer or The Bull as his guide. I think it would be making the best use of some of our bigger name wrestlers who would be great on campus ambassadors... just my Thursday ramble and rant.

after reading this and some other stories from Recruits who both joined the Hawkeyes and some who went elsewhere I am always reminded of the Kem Dawg story and how he had his bad visit and then Tom drove overnight in his truck to meet with Kem and seal the deal. I would honestly like to see us employ a recruiting director who was free of coaching duties and was directly involved with TNT- and their team needs. He could recruit on all the different levels and if it was off season and Hawkeye wrestlers were free he could make arrangements for them to be their on campus connection for practices or tours. I think most HS kids would thoroughly LOVE a tour with Spencer or The Bull as his guide. I think it would be making the best use of some of our bigger name wrestlers who would be great on campus ambassadors... just my Thursday ramble and rant.

I'm very supportive of the recruiting coordinator idea but we do need to keep in mind that they would not be allowed to recruit off campus. That doesn't mean they couldn't bring value in many other ways.

The last part of your post is standard recruiting actions that have taken place since forever. That's not the area that appears to need help.

Reactions: MSU158
I'm very supportive of the recruiting coordinator idea but we do need to keep in mind that they would not be allowed to recruit off campus. That doesn't mean they couldn't bring value in many other ways.

The last part of your post is standard recruiting actions that have taken place since forever. That's not the area that appears to need help.
Cant they attend State Wrestling championship weekends in the various states on different weekends and coordinate with the Iowa coaches to make sure that an Iowa presence is felt when recruits are in action on the mat ? By coordinator i would imagine them as a person who plans the work then he works the plan and makes sure that all the possible recruits would feel that they in fact are getting our attention. I think our best plan is to be PROACTIVE rather than REACTIVE.

That sounds good, but the coach and asst. coach and the guys on the team are the ones who convince a kid. Not some mouthpiece in a suit who says he represents the coach etc. They already have someone who coordinates travel etc in the Bull's wife. She could easily set yup the travel for recruits etc, but it is up to the coaches and the team members to sell the program.

Reactions: artradley
Cant they attend State Wrestling championship weekends in the various states on different weekends and coordinate with the Iowa coaches to make sure that an Iowa presence is felt when recruits are in action on the mat ? By coordinator i would imagine them as a person who plans the work then he works the plan and makes sure that all the possible recruits would feel that they in fact are getting our attention. I think our best plan is to be PROACTIVE rather than REACTIVE.

Yes. And they can maintain communication with them and interact on campus, they can't just make home visits. I don't think they can meet with them at their high school, either but not sure. I'm a proponent of this, for the record.

That sounds good, but the coach and asst. coach and the guys on the team are the ones who convince a kid. Not some mouthpiece in a suit who says he represents the coach etc. They already have someone who coordinates travel etc in the Bull's wife. She could easily set yup the travel for recruits etc, but it is up to the coaches and the team members to sell the program.

They aren't a "mouthpiece in a suit" nor are they they buying plane tickets and booking hotel rooms. A recruiting coordinator is part of the program and a member of that team, not some 3rd party. It sounds like consistent communication is lacking in some areas and they could plug that gap.

Yes. And they can maintain communication with them and interact on campus, they can't just make home visits. I don't think they can meet with them at their high school, either but not sure. I'm a proponent of this, for the record.

They aren't a "mouthpiece in a suit" nor are they they buying plane tickets and booking hotel rooms. A recruiting coordinator is part of the program and a member of that team, not some 3rd party. It sounds like consistent communication is lacking in some areas and they could plug that gap.
I believe in the recruitment of Abe Assad, they purposely gave him space. Not sure how much of this is being done purposely vs prioritizing time for other recruits.

No offense to the younger folks but it feels like in the age of social media that there’s a lot more emphasis on staying connected and maybe that’s a needed philosophy change from how Iowa is recruiting now, whether or not a recruiting coordinator is brought in.

I see your point, but that wasn't my point. At some point Iowa needs to put some stock in these stories, very recently AOC & now Welsh. Iowa seems to let the wrestler recruit themselves too often. I think it gets masked by the die hards that just say, "Well we didn't want/need him anyway." That just prolongs the problem. If Iowa had a recruiting coordinator to wrap their arms around the process 24/7/365 I see improvement. Look at tOSU. Iowa seems to have the money they have. Why isn't Iowa gaining ground in the recruiting process?
oh i’m on your side. i think the repeated “it didn’t feel like the staff really wanted me” stories are frustrating.

These stories are recurring. Gilman felt the same way. Brands has to change his ways. He’s not good at certain things. We need to help him.

From my perspective, and I fully admit that it might be off as I sit in a Smashburger booth after finishing my lunch & not in the wrestling offices is that Iowa and its staff needs organization. A big board of current assets and needs. A list of all the prospects that fit the needs. A timeline to recruit within the NCAA guidelines and ways to toe the line as well. Connections to all of those "assets" as far as coaches, family, etc. Constant contact within the rules. Lastly someone that is a chameleon. Someone who doesn't say this is how I recruit, but how am I going to figure out how to recruit to the athlete. Iowa vary well may have all of these, but the last sentence it seems. I'd be surprised. I do think that it is too much to ask M* to do all of this all season every season. He needs help. Judging by how we are falling behind in recruiting, how it seems we recruit to our available money. I.e. every four to five years, rely on the portal, have less than stellar recruiting football game weekends I think my gut has some truth to it.

He said he grew up an Iowa fan for his whole life actually and that was his first choice but he thought the recruiting part of it was left up to him more than him actually being pursued by Iowa. He said Iowa had reached out to him initially and indicated their interest but after that he said it just seemed like he was the driving force behind things rather than them.

Seems to be the "Iowa Way" as football is no different.

Ferentz is basically a "Here's what we have to offer, take it or leave it."

Not much frills and thrills to it.

Reactions: DewHawk
These stories are recurring. Gilman felt the same way. Brands has to change his ways. He’s not good at certain things. We need to help him.
In the interview that was posted with the new recruit Estrada, he basically says Morningstar texted him and that TNT don't do much with recruiting. Our recruiting results definitely support that. If the head coach wants to have recruiting success they should be selling their program and actively involved in the process.

The fact our coaches are having such a difficult time selling the Iowa program is alarming. Iowa City should be one of the easiest places to recruit in terms of wrestling.

It sounds like we need someone in the building who actually understands the game of recruiting and are willing to put in the effort. I am sick of hearing these stories about stud recruits growing up Iowa fans and hardly being recruited by our coaching staff.

Seems to be the "Iowa Way" as football is no different.

Ferentz is basically a "Here's what we have to offer, take it or leave it."

Not much frills and thrills to it.
This couldn't be farther from the truth with related to football recruiting. Our approach in football is very candid and direct....but if we like a player, there is consistent communication.

I won't jump to a conclusion based on a few interviews or interactions. They may very well be true but I can't do it.

what I can say is that I don't think recruiting is even up to Iowa standards. Forget PSU. I just don't understand why there isn't at least one blue chipper every class. I think that is unacceptable. I have felt this way a long long time.

Something is wrong. There is no way they can contend for championships if they keep missing out out the elite talent.

People sometimes respond that "only 10 can score" in response to PSU stacking talent. I agree, but Iowa isn't even getting the 4 or 5 needed to keep pace.

The fact our coaches are having such a difficult time selling the Iowa program is alarming. Iowa City should be one of the easiest places to recruit in terms of wrestling.

It sounds like we need someone in the building who actually understands the game of recruiting and are willing to put in the effort. I am sick of hearing these stories about stud recruits growing up Iowa fans and hardly being recruited by our coaching staff.
HWC is the Problem. The good recruits have higher aspirations.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
I won't jump to a conclusion based on a few interviews or interactions. They may very well be true but I can't do it.

what I can say is that I don't think recruiting is even up to Iowa standards. Forget PSU. I just don't understand why there isn't at least one blue chipper every class. I think that is unacceptable. I have felt this way a long long time.

Something is wrong. There is no way they can contend for championships if they keep missing out out the elite talent.

People sometimes respond that "only 10 can score" in response to PSU stacking talent. I agree, but Iowa isn't even getting the 4 or 5 needed to keep pace.
You realize Iowa has the number 1 overall pfp the last 3 years right? You saying we aren’t getting a blue chip every year is just plain untrue. We also had the number 1 class this last year.

There's a lot of butthurt in this thread about a guy our recruit just beat. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches feel like they have the right guy for 174. As it stands, it looks we have the better guy right now. Yet out come the crybabies, because Welsh wasn't heavily recruited - per him.

There's a lot of butthurt in this thread about a guy our recruit just beat. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches feel like they have the right guy for 174. As it stands, it looks we have the better guy right now. Yet out come the crybabies, because Welsh wasn't heavily recruited - per him.
Because it's a recurring theme. And Welsh and Arnold could easily go 184/174. It wouldn't be a stretch for either to be either weight (especially Arnold at 184)

Missing out on O'Connor and Sasso? Simply because we didn't 'recruit' them? that's just asinine.

Because it's a recurring theme. And Welsh and Arnold could easily go 184/174. It wouldn't be a stretch for either to be either weight (especially Arnold at 184)

Missing out on O'Connor and Sasso? Simply because we didn't 'recruit' them? that's just asinine.
Arnold is too short to be effective at 184 and perhaps Welsh doesn't want to go 184 or the staff didn't think he would fit in there at that time.

Iowa backed off Sasso for specific reasons. It wasn't laziness.

Reactions: snotknockerhawk
Arnold is too short to be effective at 184 and perhaps Welsh doesn't want to go 184 or the staff didn't think he would fit in there at that time.

Iowa backed off Sasso for specific reasons. It wasn't laziness.
How about Gable Steveson? We had the in there too at one point. The parents would drive to IC for duals and named their kid after our legendary coach.

When it came down to recruitment, Minnesota gave his brother a little scholly money and Iowa didn’t. It was pretty well known early on that Gable wanted to be with his brother and we didn’t play ball. Looking at our scholly heavyweights from 2015-2018 makes the whole thing even worse.

Recruiting is chess, not checkers.

Exactly part of the problem. I'll call it the scorned girlfriend syndrome. Once you don't have him you never wanted him anyway. Why start recruiting if you don't want? Besides there are opportunities to settle in at 74, or 84. I believe Iowa only has one top tier recruit for weights 74 thru 97. He was a top 5 pfp recruit for christ sakes & justifiably higher ranked at the time, fellas......

Last edited:
Reactions: tosal563
How about Gable Steveson? We had the in there too at one point. The parents would drive to IC for duals and named their kid after our legendary coach.

When it came down to recruitment, Minnesota gave his brother a little scholly money and Iowa didn’t. It was pretty well known early on that Gable wanted to be with his brother and we didn’t play ball. Looking at our scholly heavyweights from 2015-2018 makes the whole thing even worse.

Recruiting is chess, not checkers.
You may as well bring up recruiting misses from 10 years ago while you're at it. Tom admitted they needed to improve their recruiting 4-5 years ago. Better served to direct the recruiting complaints to current events.

Reactions: snotknockerhawk
I'd like to see where you are pulling these stats. Keep in mind one of the classes is also minus Jesuroga now.
Cody Chittum, Ben Kueter, Angelo Ferrari. Not hard to pull the stats. For someone who thinks he should be a recruiting coordinator because it’s the most crucial position and you’re the best for the job you don’t seem to know shit.

The common complainers would be whining that we have two guys for 174.

This is still TBD.
Well, recently we had Young, Marinelli, Kemerer and Brands for 165 and then Kennedy came also. 165 was all of their natural weights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT