ADVERTISEMENT

I picked up Rocco Welsh this weekend.

Spare me the righteous indignation. Sasso graduated in 2018. Stoll had the fun incident in June of 2018.

Tom wasn’t exactly running the tightest ship back then.
I already explained Tom felt recruiting needed improved to another living in the past.

Reactions: Gobblin
You realize Iowa has the number 1 overall pfp the last 3 years right? You saying we aren’t getting a blue chip every year is just plain untrue. We also had the number 1 class this last year.
We are not getting a blue chip every year. The summary I posted shows that. Going back 3 years the 2022 class had zero blue chips and Riggins in the 30s was the highest rated. We did not have the #1 pfp in 2021. Drake was the highest and was not #1 pfp.

Cody Chittum, Ben Kueter, Angelo Ferrari. Not hard to pull the stats. For someone who thinks he should be a recruiting coordinator because it’s the most crucial position and you’re the best for the job you don’t seem to know shit.
Flo has Ben #3 on their most recent 2023 Big Board. Pretty safe to say I don't agree with that ranking but just providing some info. I am not sure where Willie has him ranked but I didn't think it was #1 overall. Regardless, I still think we got the best guy.

Here is the latest Flo 2023 Big Board from November 22, 2022:

Screenshot-2023-05-04-at-5-47-13-PM.png

Flo has Ben #3 on their most recent 2023 Big Board. Pretty safe to say I don't agree with that ranking but just providing some info. I am not sure where Willie has him ranked but I didn't think it was #1 overall. Regardless, I still think we got the best guy.

Here is the latest Flo 2023 Big Board from November 22, 2022:

Screenshot-2023-05-04-at-5-47-13-PM.png
Ah. My mistake. He was #1 pfp because Shapiro and Carroll weren’t doing their high school seasons.

Ah. My mistake. He was #1 pfp because Shapiro and Carroll weren’t doing their high school seasons.
I hope you’re right about Angelo, he isn’t a hawk yet, don’t jinx us. Ben is primarily a football player for millions of reasons. As far as Rocco is concerned, they may not have wanted to that much money into two guys whose ideal weight is 174, and they liked Gabe more. We seen what happens when you put a natural 174 up at 184 with Nelson. If Rocco was 197, they would have been on him like white on rice.

You realize Iowa has the number 1 overall pfp the last 3 years right? You saying we aren’t getting a blue chip every year is just plain untrue. We also had the number 1 class this last year.

Chittum I know of. He committed to another school and changed his mind. I'm excited about him. He is a hammer and exactly the type of recruit they need.

Who else? Keuter? I think he could be an all timer but football may disrupt that.

I don't know of a 3rd guy.

FWIW my concerns go all the way back to 2010. Top 10 at weight or top 30-50 overall guys hasn't and isn't going to get it done.

The number one overall class is heavy on those guys. Plus Chittum which is awesome. Kueter great if he sticks with wrestling.

I'd like to see where you are pulling these stats. Keep in mind one of the classes is also minus Jesuroga now.
Cody Chittum, Ben Kueter, Angelo Ferrari. Not hard to pull the stats. For someone who thinks he should be a recruiting coordinator because it’s the most crucial position and you’re the best for the job you don’t seem to know shit.
according to FLO Big Board:

2024:
#1 Ferrari - (uncommitted?)
#2,5,6,8,9 - all going to Penn St

2023:
#1 Shapiro - Cornell
#2 Carroll - Okla St
#3 Kueter - Iowa
#7 N Jesuroga

2022:
#1 Feldman - tOSU
#2 Swiderski - ISU
#3, #4 - to tOSU

2021:
#1 Figeroa - ASU
#2 Facundo - PSU
#3 Gallagher - tOSU

Chittum is not listed, but he was considered #1 for class of 2023, and Iowa got him. That's a legit #1, imho.
Kueter is a blue chip prospect, but was beat handily by Carroll in FS iirc. Plus he'll be playing football, which is
his prerogative, but that can make the crystal ball less clear. Nate Jesuroga, is not going to wrestle, but joining
military (correct me if I'm wrong)?
Ferarri has not yet committed, so hard to count him as a Hawk just yet.

They way I see it, is Iowa has only 1 top ranked p4p in Chittum. Ferarri gives Iowa a chance for another, but not there yet.

Honest question...what does this ^^ mean?

Didn't the Lee family give TnT a full run down of all the ways other programs were negatively recruiting against us?

I swear I've heard Tom or someone else refer to it as "The Binder"

It was from a Media Day 2017 interview with Tom. Video snippet here. Beginning of that thread contains a link to the full transcript (recruiting and binder discussion at the end).

Be warned — some things have not changed much in 6 years.

Arnold is too short to be effective at 184 and perhaps Welsh doesn't want to go 184 or the staff didn't think he would fit in there at that time.

Iowa backed off Sasso for specific reasons. It wasn't laziness.
Looks like they were wrong on the Sasso assessment. Ferrari good; Sasso bad.

Reactions: tiltman
Hmmm, I guess I missed where Ferrari was the #1 pfp recruit and that he had committed to Iowa. Along with Kueter being #1 pfp. I also missed where Iowa had the #1 recruiting class anytime recently. Go ahead and keep missing on the "facts" you are trying to spew and picking pissing matches with progress & improvement. It appears you are the one that doesn't know shit, is content with one title in 13 years and doesn't have the balls to point out where improvement can & needs to happen.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I guess I missed where Ferrari was the #1 pfp recruit and that he had committed to Iowa. Along with Kueter being #1 pfp. I also missed where Iowa had the #1 recruiting class anytime recently. Go ahead and keep missing on the "facts" you are trying to spew and picking pissing matches with progress & improvement. It appears you are the one that doesn't know shit, is content with one title in 13 years and doesn't have the balls to point out where improvement can & needs to happen.

Strictly in the spirit of accuracy:

Ferrari is the top recruit for 2024 by Flo. But as you noted, not currently committed to Iowa. The chicken hasn’t hatched, so don’t count it.

Iowa has the #1 class for 2023 per Flo. Granted, that included Jesuroga. However, it also didn’t include Chittum (top 2-3 PFP type) or Anthony Ferrari (top 15 PFP type). Given the net gain, fairly reasonable to still consider Iowa #1.

Willie had Kueter as the #1 overall recruit three months ago. No idea if that’s still true.

Strictly in the spirit of accuracy:

Ferrari is the top recruit for 2024 by Flo. But as you noted, not currently committed to Iowa. The chicken hasn’t hatched, so don’t count it.

Iowa has the #1 class for 2023 per Flo. Granted, that included Jesuroga. However, it also didn’t include Chittum (top 2-3 PFP type) or Anthony Ferrari (top 15 PFP type). Given the net gain, fairly reasonable to still consider Iowa #1.

Willie had Kueter as the #1 overall recruit three months ago. No idea if that’s still true.
Ferrari #1 via Flo & #4 via Willie. Not committed to Iowa, yet.

Flo Recruiting Class Rankings:
2024: not ranked yet. Ferrari would go here.
2023: #1 with Jesuroga.
2022: #4 Chittum graduated high school here.
2021: #3
2020: #2
2019: HM
2018: #9
2017: #2

Keuter #2 via Flo & #6 via Willie.

"Strictly in the spirit of accuracy:"

Appreciate you trying to stay unbiased here.

"However, it also didn’t include Chittum (top 2-3 PFP type) or Anthony Ferrari (top 15 PFP type). Given the net gain, fairly reasonable to still consider Iowa #1."

I don't know how you can mix your perspective in and consider it "accurate". To me accuracy equals facts and nothing else. That's might just be me though.

I am a central PA guy. The rumors here is The Brands brothers didn’t like the term PA Pipeline. Boosters wanted rid of that reputation or being mostly PA wrestlers. I bumped into Strittmatter at a youth tournament this season and we talked about this topic. I asked him about the connection with Iowa. He said there was one and he doesn’t understand why it stopped. He mentioned Welsh, Vinny Kilkreary and Jaxson Arrington were all huge Iowa fans. He said all three would have went to Iowa but they weren’t recruited. It looks like Tan Tom and Popolizzio jump in.

"Strictly in the spirit of accuracy:"

Appreciate you trying to stay unbiased here.

"However, it also didn’t include Chittum (top 2-3 PFP type) or Anthony Ferrari (top 15 PFP type). Given the net gain, fairly reasonable to still consider Iowa #1."

I don't know how you can mix your perspective in and consider it "accurate". To me accuracy equals facts and nothing else. That's might just be me though.

That’s fine. Take out my perspective and Flo has Iowa #1.

What’s the difference?

That’s fine. Take out my perspective and Flo has Iowa #1.

What’s the difference?
With Jesuroga, so in essence they are no longer #1. Not the battle I'm trying to make though. Just the one others are choosing to have with me. Iowa needs to catch PSU. To do so Iowa needs to improve recruiting to not have to rely on the portal and continue to move to endow the HWC. One aspect that will help this would be adding a recruiting coordinator.

With Jesuroga, so in essence they are no longer #1.

That's you doing what you said I was doing--mixing in your perspective and considering it accurate.

It's also why I mentioned the two guys (Chittum and Ferrari) who were both highly ranked and reclassifed as 2023 recruits. (If you want to say that Chittum then shouldn't be counted in 2022. I would completely agree with you.)

As for the rest of your post, we both think Iowa should improve recruiting (and other areas). I just thought you were a wee bit harsh on @UndercoverHawk, and only wanted to bring perspective.

That's you doing what you said I was doing--mixing in your perspective and considering it accurate.

It's also why I mentioned the two guys (Chittum and Ferrari) who were both highly ranked and reclassifed as 2023 recruits. (If you want to say that Chittum then shouldn't be counted in 2022. I would completely agree with you.)

As for the rest of your post, we both think Iowa should improve recruiting (and other areas). I just thought you were a wee bit harsh on @UndercoverHawk, and only wanted to bring perspective.
I kindly disagree. Jesuroga is no longer in the #1 class. Taking out the #7 pfp will move them down. Willie did just that with his rankings, but Rokfin is hard to navigate, or that information was simply taken off the website, so I couldn't reference. Chittum is in the 2022 class. Ferrari is in the 2024 class. All facts. No assumptions.

UH was harsh with me to start. Kindly scroll up. To the fact that I didn't know shit & wanted to assume the recruiting coordinator role myself. Guy needs to learn how to have adult conversations.

Last edited:
I kindly disagree. Jesuroga is no longer in the #1 class. Taking out the #7 pfp will move them down. Willie did just that with his rankings, but Rokfin is hard to navigate, or that information was simply taken off the website, so I couldn't reference. Chittum is in the 2022 class. Ferrari is in the 2024 class. All facts. No assumptions.

UH was harsh with me to start. Kindly scroll up. To the fact that I didn't know shit & wanted to assume the recruiting coordinator role myself. Guy needs to learn how to have adult conversations.
So you're just going to ignore the FACT (not an assumption) that Anthony Ferrari and Cody Chittum are enrolling and beginning their eligibility at the same time as the rest of the 2023 class? That's your prerogative, just know you're being disingenuous about the 2023 class. You can add them to the 2022 class if it makes you feel better about having the 2023 class #2, but that doesn't change the facts.

Reactions: IAChief32

But again, that's your perspective. Flo still has them #1.

But adding our perspectives and mixing in facts, Chittum isn't 2022--he reclassified to 2023 as he doesn't start college until the fall. Iowa also added Anthony Ferrari who was #24 in 2022 but also reclassified to 2023. Those two are a net gain over the loss of Jesuroga.

It is fair if he was harsh to you.

I am a central PA guy. The rumors here is The Brands brothers didn’t like the term PA Pipeline. Boosters wanted rid of that reputation or being mostly PA wrestlers. I bumped into Strittmatter at a youth tournament this season and we talked about this topic. I asked him about the connection with Iowa. He said there was one and he doesn’t understand why it stopped. He mentioned Welsh, Vinny Kilkreary and Jaxson Arrington were all huge Iowa fans. He said all three would have went to Iowa but they weren’t recruited. It looks like Tan Tom and Popolizzio jump in.
It seems odd that they got a number of people from PA in a short time period and then very little after. I'm not sure why but I'm going to assume it's a non factual rumor that people would have an issue with a pipeline to good talent as that would be just idiotic thinking.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
We are not getting a blue chip every year. The summary I posted shows that. Going back 3 years the 2022 class had zero blue chips and Riggins in the 30s was the highest rated. We did not have the #1 pfp in 2021. Drake was the highest and was not #1 pfp.
The comments made by RW and how he felt with the Iowa approach to HIS recruiting experience has been far too familiar for far too long, imo.

Reactions: kkhawk
So you're just going to ignore the FACT (not an assumption) that Anthony Ferrari and Cody Chittum are enrolling and beginning their eligibility at the same time as the rest of the 2023 class? That's your prerogative, just know you're being disingenuous about the 2023 class. You can add them to the 2022 class if it makes you feel better about having the 2023 class #2, but that doesn't change the facts.
I'm referring to Angelo, not Anthony as neither Willie, nor Flo has included. To me Anthony is an unknown. Not enrolled yet and been off several years. Happy to have him though.

But again, that's your perspective. Flo still has them #1.

But adding our perspectives and mixing in facts, Chittum isn't 2022--he reclassified to 2023 as he doesn't start college until the fall. Iowa also added Anthony Ferrari who was #24 in 2022 but also reclassified to 2023. Those two are a net gain over the loss of Jesuroga.

It is fair if he was harsh to you.
Spoons, I'm not doing my own rankings here. I'm just relaying what Flo and Willie are doing. You are correct with Jesuroga Iowa is #1. Happy? We are getting in the weeds about things that really don't matter. My point isn't about the rankings. It's about recruiting and improving it. The proof is in the performance, not the rankings.

Chittum reclassification had to do with high school graduation, not enrollment at Iowa. He is taking classes at Iowa, just not a full load to be considered a true freshman next year. Similar to a grey shirt in football. Willie and Flo handled differently with their rankings. One ranked in this year's class and one ranked in last year's.

Anthony didn't reclassify either. He graduated when he graduated. Then went to OSU. He will potentially be at Iowa starting in the fall. We'll see. I anticipate he will, but with that family you never know. Neither Willie, nor Flo included him in any of Iowa's classes.

I don't get where your beef is with me by saying UH is right with being short with me. I think that has more to do with some thoughts you have in regards to me and your taking a similar childish jab same as him. ......but I'm sure you'll have some response to me per the usual that I hope to have enough sheer will power to simply ignore.

Last edited:
Spoons, I'm not doing my own rankings here. I'm just relaying what Flo and Willie are doing. You are correct with Jesuroga Iowa is #1. Happy? We are getting in the weeds about things that really don't matter. My point isn't about the rankings. It's about recruiting and improving them. The proof is in the performance, not the rankings.

I don't get where your beef is with me by saying UH is right with being short with me. I think that has more to do with some thoughts you have in regards to me and your taking a similar childish jab same as him. ......but I'm sure you'll have some response to me per the usual that I hope to have enough sheer will power to simply ignore.

I'm not happy or unhappy in either case. I just thought, despite his tone, his points were better than he was being credited/acknowledged for.

It seems odd that they got a number of people from PA in a short time period and then very little after. I'm not sure why but I'm going to assume it's a non factual rumor that people would have an issue with a pipeline to good talent as that would be just idiotic thinking.
Iowa donors were mad and told brands they didn’t want Pa wrestlers. I am sure Iowa would have been Happy Getting Welsh, Arrington etc. Strittmatter said they both would have committed on the spot. Donors wanted Iowa kids and to break up the Pa pipeline.

Iowa donors were mad and told brands they didn’t want Pa wrestlers. I am sure Iowa would have been Happy Getting Welsh, Arrington etc. Strittmatter said they both would have committed on the spot. Donors wanted Iowa kids and to break up the Pa pipeline.
I can't believe that to be true. Donors like winning above all else and that scenario isn't good for winning.

This is nonsense. Iowa fans/donors loved all the PA kids. The one PA guy who may have received criticism is now the coaches son in law…

That’s insane, the talent in the state is a big reason Cael is there.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
How about Gable Steveson? We had the in there too at one point. The parents would drive to IC for duals and named their kid after our legendary coach.

When it came down to recruitment, Minnesota gave his brother a little scholly money and Iowa didn’t. It was pretty well known early on that Gable wanted to be with his brother and we didn’t play ball. Looking at our scholly heavyweights from 2015-2018 makes the whole thing even worse.

Recruiting is chess, not checkers.
There may some truth to your last paragraph but this sounds eerily like something overheard in pompous HappyValleyLand.

Glen, have you been lurking?

Somehow this sounds like a rumor that was started and did exactly what was intended. Cause doubt in the minds of recruits and those who advise them. Once a story gets started by the time it evolves it is almost never anywhere near the truth.

Somehow this sounds like a rumor that was started and did exactly what was intended. Cause doubt in the minds of recruits and those who advise them. Once a story gets started by the time it evolves it is almost never anywhere near the truth.

There's simply no way it's true. LOL. Iowa fans considered it a badge of honor to have that many PA natives on the roster, and it lead to so much success. Just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Right or wrong, there's another reason Iowa hasn't been as active in PA in recent years.

There may some truth to your last paragraph but this sounds eerily like something overheard in pompous HappyValleyLand.

Glen, have you been lurking?
Lol, no. The Gable blunder was pretty well known around here. Most thought Minnesota was was his destination as soon as Bobby got to campus.

FRL was talking about him being the greatest American wrestler of all time this week. We messed that one up big time.

Reactions: Bones Malone
There's simply no way it's true. LOL. Iowa fans considered it a badge of honor to have that many PA natives on the roster, and it lead to so much success. Just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Right or wrong, there's another reason Iowa hasn't been as active in PA in recent years.
Ok what is the reason?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT