ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa / Rutgers PBP

What a match for the Bull! Super impressed with his effort and all the attacks!! Looked strong as hell too.

Curious, you thought AM looked strong? I saw someone who had a lot of heart, but was lacking in strength struggling to finish even when he was getting in deep. Maybe Lewis is freakish strong?

No. No it isn’t.

K. You can do what everyone is doing and write it off. The possibility is there. Is it a high possibility? No. But it definitely exists. OSU and PSU are both battle injuries with returning champs as well.

For people to write off a team with Lee, Sorensen, Kem, Marinell, PD3, Stoll, Warner in the line up is crazzzzzy to me.

OSU and PSU would still be heavy favorites. I just don't get the insistence that Iowa couldn't be competitive in the team race this season. All depends on if Lee and Warner want to and are ready to go this year. If they are both healthy and eager to go, why the fk hold them back.

Let me ask you this Spooner, do you think it's more likely that PSU repeats with 5 champs or gets less than 5 champs this season? My money is on <5.

Curious, you thought AM looked strong? I saw someone who had a lot of heart, but was lacking in strength struggling to finish even when he was getting in deep. Maybe Lewis is freakish strong?

The Marinelli match was a nice win against the Lewis, ranked #7, and a recent U23 FS World champ. Alex was wrestling his first match in a hostile arena. I'm pretty happy with the result.

That said, Lewis is pretty slick and has nice counters. This match reminded me a bit of Alex's matches against Mark Hall, where Alex would get in deep, looking like a possible takedown, but then got cautious or stalled out, and couldn't finish. Not sure if that's a strength issue or being overly cautious.

Yeah your the only one on here that knows the rules thanks for info but they were out and it was fleeing.. If you dont understand that 99.9 % of the refs and calls in that position are looking at the feet and not if half a guys butt cheek is over the imaginary cylinder that extends to the ceiling then you clearly have no idea what your talking about. But yet again thanks for pointing out to all of us that your the only one on this board that knows anything. And if my grammer is bot correct nobody gives a shit!!! Go Hawks nice win!

Of course I’m not the only one who knows the rules. Several others posted it as well. I was watching the meet with a college ref of 10+ years and he agreed whole heartedly with the call. Refs most definitely are not taught to only look at feet on the edge, especially in a scoring situation. The official called by the book and exactly as they are taught. Sorry that you’re a completely clueless imbecile. Not my fault.

The Marinelli match was a nice win against the Lewis, ranked #7, and a recent U23 FS World champ. Alex was wrestling his first match in a hostile arena. I'm pretty happy with the result.

That said, Lewis is pretty slick and has nice counters. This match reminded me a bit of Alex's matches against Mark Hall, where Alex would get in deep, looking like a possible takedown, but then got cautious or stalled out, and couldn't finish. Not sure if that's a strength issue or being overly cautious.

I wasn't knocking, and I think your assessment is fair. I just wouldn't say he looked "strong". Dude never stopped going though, that's for sure.

Ok I'm old lol can someone explain to me how after all the talk in Bull's match they put the score 2-2?
1st period ending 2-1 Ruthers , Bull escape so 2-2 , then he gets takedown so 4-2 and then Lewis tries to escape they out of bounds then throw the brick...Bull got screwed out of 2 points IMO should maybe not even gone overtime. If Ruthers had a point coming it should have been 4-3 not 2-2 have to watch replay.

Last edited:
K. You can do what everyone is doing and write it off. The possibility is there. Is it a high possibility? No. But it definitely exists. OSU and PSU are both battle injuries with returning champs as well.

For people to write off a team with Lee, Sorensen, Kem, Marinell, PD3, Stoll, Warner in the line up is crazzzzzy to me.

OSU and PSU would still be heavy favorites. I just don't get the insistence that Iowa couldn't be competitive in the team race this season. All depends on if Lee and Warner want to and are ready to go this year. If they are both healthy and eager to go, why the fk hold them back.

Let me ask you this Spooner, do you think it's more likely that PSU repeats with 5 champs or gets less than 5 champs this season? My money is on <5.

I agree that is a really good team but your comment was on another level. My money is also on less than 5 PSU champs but my money is also on those 5 guys scoring a ton of points regardless of whether they win an individual title.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Ok I'm old lol can someone explain to me how after all the talk in Bull's match they put the score 2-2?
1st period ending 2-1 Ruthers , Ball escape so 2-2 , then he gets takedown so 4-2 and then Lewis tries to escape they out of bounds then throw the brick...Bull got screwed out of 2 points IMO should maybe not even gone overtime.

I thought he had the two.

Reactions: Dagboi
1st period ending 2-1 Ruthers , Ball escape so 2-2 , then he gets takedown so 4-2 and then Lewis tries to escape they out of bounds then throw the brick...Bull got screwed out of 2 points IMO should maybe not even gone overtime.

The takedown got overturned if thats what you are wondering.

I meant I felt it was a strong showing overall, not necessarily that he looked physically strong (my mistake). I didn't really see him not finishing those shots simply b/c Lewis was freakishly strong (which I bet he is) but also because it looked like he threw in some "funk" or unorthadox counters to those attacks that Alex wasn't used to. I thought he looked real strong getting to those leg attacks, multiple leg attacks I might add (that was nice to see). His head inside single looked tough as hell, keep getting better at finishing and he's going to be one tough S.O.B. I also felt his conditioning looked on point, even though Lewis benefitted from lots of extra lung time. I'd say he looked strong in strategy too as I bet the plan was to stalk and take ground and not let Lewis wrestle from space. I just enjoyed seeing a guy stalk, take ground and attempt to score and push the pace like we all want to see....and doing so against a world champion....freestyle or not.

I probably missed it but apparently Rutgers used up all their challenge bricks. So are there like 3 per dual?

Crazy how we're seemingly solid in the middle weights + Stoll on the back end but so poor in the light weights. Of course Lee will solve 125 next year but 133 and 141 are up in the air.

I agree that is a really good team but your comment was on another level. My money is also on less than 5 PSU champs but my money is also on those 5 guys scoring a ton of points regardless of whether they win an individual title.

My comment was on another level?

You don't see any outcome of the Iowa team I mentioned winning a title this year? Of course OSU and PSU would still be the favorites. I don't get the insistence that there is no chance Iowa could win this year.

I probably missed it but apparently Rutgers used up all their challenge bricks. So are there like 3 per dual?

He challenged the takedown in the Marinelli match and it was overturned. They then had a riding time glitch that they needed to fix in that match that took forever. He then challenged the no control head throw early in the Gunther match, he lost that one and then lost his challenge so couldn't use it on the out of bounds call.

I believe you get 1 challenge in college wrestling duals and can use it until you are wrong.

Sounds like the Hawks beat the Scarlet Knights, Mr. McCormick, the timers, and the Jersey fans. Good thing they were rasslin' in a high school gym or they would have had more people to beat. We (the realists among us anyway) got called whiners this week. What's that make the Rutgers coaches then? Do have to give them credit though, they've learned how to throw the brick when they need a lung timeout.

Though I think he thought “strong” in the grander sense, AM did successfully power through several offensive attacks by Lewis.

I agree. Telford if pretty darn good to listen to. Always updates time, score, etc,

I actually liked Telford announcing better than Ironside. Ironside is a passionate Hawkeye, so you gotta appreciate his perspective and devotion to hawkeye wrestling, but he is over the top a bit for my taste with his announcing and comes across too negative. He's still in that mentality that every hawkeye wrestler should be NCAA championship caliber and be able to win every match. Its ridiculous to have those expectations for everyone in the line-up. For example, Stickley is basically a walk-on true freshman and he's obviously overmatched but he's working hard and doing his best. Telford praised the hard work of Stickley. You can't expect a walk-on true freshman to beat #2 Suriano. I was pleased that he avoided getting pinned.

Seriously?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT