ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's new "religious freedom" law

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Under Iowa's new law:

Exercising one's religion includes the ability to refuse to do anything "substantially motivated by one's sincerely held religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief", as defined in the bill, allowing for a broad legal interpretation.

Just sent my sophomore (no pics) at the University of Iowa a form letter to give to her professors. Reads something like this: "I sincerely believe that only God possesses the right to judge people's actions, including my actions. Therefore, your grading system violates my sincerely held religious beliefs. I hereby demand that you refrain from grading my performance in class. I will attend classes and you will give me the requisite hours of credit for my attendance."

Sounds crazy?

Before answering . . . please tell me how individuals can use "religious exemptions" to avoid becoming vaccinated.

I would absolutely love to read stories of people "flipping the coin" and taking advantage of the legislature's broad statute in ways that will infuriate the legislature.

Do or don't do anything you want, just claim Jesus is against it and you get off scott free.

I can't wait for the fit throwing the first time a member of the Church of Satan or a Muslim discriminates and claims religious freedom and Evangelicals scream "Wait, that doesn't count!!!"

Under Iowa's new law:

Exercising one's religion includes the ability to refuse to do anything "substantially motivated by one's sincerely held religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief", as defined in the bill, allowing for a broad legal interpretation.

Just sent my sophomore (no pics) at the University of Iowa a form letter to give to her professors. Reads something like this: "I sincerely believe that only God possesses the right to judge people's actions, including my actions. Therefore, your grading system violates my sincerely held religious beliefs. I hereby demand that you refrain from grading my performance in class. I will attend classes and you will give me the requisite hours of credit for my attendance."

Sounds crazy?

Before answering . . . please tell me how individuals can use "religious exemptions" to avoid becoming vaccinated.

I would absolutely love to read stories of people "flipping the coin" and taking advantage of the legislature's broad statute in ways that will infuriate the legislature.
My god told me not to pay taxes.

Just like the federal law that Clinton signed. But ya know... that's not fun to bitch about.

From what I have read about this is it is a way for Rs to discriminate against gays and trans, which definitely Kim and crew like to do. Reminds me of our church we went to for years, largest in town with many families and kids and fairly young pastor with young kids. We liked to go to the casual service and the praise band was excellent, especially a female vocalist. If I wasn't in church I may have even noticed beautiful things besides her voice, but of course I didn't in the Lord's house. All of the sudden she was no longer in the band nor in church. Turned out the elders and pastor had found out she was gay and had told her if she needed to, she was welcome to continue to attend services, but of course she couldn't ever be on stage or sing in the band or say anything in church as she was living her life of sin. My wonderful wife said we would never set foot in the church again and we didn't. I then understood finally why the pastor was always going on that "we don't have to see eye to eye, but we can still walk side by side" as attendance dropped.

From what I have read about this is it is a way for Rs to discriminate against gays and trans, which definitely Kim and crew like to do. Reminds me of our church we went to for years, largest in town with many families and kids and fairly young pastor with young kids. We liked to go to the casual service and the praise band was excellent, especially a female vocalist. If I wasn't in church I may have even noticed beautiful things besides her voice, but of course I didn't in the Lord's house. All of the sudden she was no longer in the band nor in church. Turned out the elders and pastor had found out she was gay and had told her if she needed to, she was welcome to continue to attend services, but of course she couldn't ever be on stage or sing in the band or say anything in church as she was living her life of sin. My wonderful wife said we would never set foot in the church again and we didn't. I then understood finally why the pastor was always going on that "we don't have to see eye to eye, but we can still walk side by side" as attendance dropped.
Well, you know no one ever heard of the disciple named George, either…..that’s because the night before Christ was going to introduce him to the other Boyz, He found out George was gay…..Christ told George he could follow He and the Boyz on the road but he had to follow them at a respectable distance and couldn’t associate with any of them in an official manner. Precedence was set a long time ago……and we all know, Churches just do God’s work. ;)

Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT