ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Wieskamp # 16 on ESPN

Looks to be an outstanding get. Here's to hoping Coach Cal doesn't come calling two years down the road for a swoop. I think having the McCaffery brothers as extra recruiters on the AAU circuit will pay dividends the next couple years. Patrick especially will have a large influence on upcoming classes.

That's pretty impressive. Very least good recruiting publicity for Iowa snagging him already.

See in 2017 Connor is #53. Saw there were 6 kids from IL in top 60 and another one from MN in top 10. Midwest with lot of talent in this class.

Looks to be an outstanding get. Here's to hoping Coach Cal doesn't come calling two years down the road for a swoop. I think having the McCaffery brothers as extra recruiters on the AAU circuit will pay dividends the next couple years. Patrick especially will have a large influence on upcoming classes.
The only coach I'd be worried about having any pull from him away from Iowa would have been Roy Williams before the recent UNC scandal.

That's pretty impressive. Very least good recruiting publicity for Iowa snagging him already.

See in 2017 Connor is #53. Saw there were 6 kids from IL in top 60 and another one from MN in top 10. Midwest with lot of talent in this class.

Only down side in that is Iowa only has 1 scholarship left for 2017 and 0 left for 2018.

Interesting that they show Weiskamp as committed but not Connor.

Only down side in that is Iowa only has 1 scholarship left for 2017 and 0 left for 2018.

That is assuming nobody leaves. While I couldn't point to any one of them specifically, it's tough to keep 13 scholarship players happy and we've routinely seen 1 at least every year or 2 transfer due to wanting more PT.

This article answers questions that have been brought up about Wieskamp.

http://iowa.247sports.com/Bolt/2018...ecision-to-Commit-to-Iowa-Basketball-37680507

Here are some quotes:

"Like a dream come true," when asked his feelings on the commitment. "I've grown up liking the Hawks and have dreamed of playing for them, so it's great to officially say that I'm a Hawk."

"Proximinity to home was a big key for me. Being able to have my family and friends come up and watch," Weiskamp explained. "I knew that's where I wanted to go, so I kept telling myself, 'why wait?'. Go be a part of something special."

Weiskamp is listed as a small forward, but right now he says the Hawkeyes can see him playing shooting guard. He says that could change, though.

"Could vary between some point and small forward depending on growth and how I progress as a player," the newest Hawkeye commit explained.

Reactions: nu2u
Joe looks like a great get. In a recent 3pt shooting contest, he hit 79 of 100 on one try. Then 91 out of 100, with 39 straight 3s. That is pretty amazing for shooting free throws, not to mention 3 pointers!

Wasn't Peter Jok rated this high three years before coming to Iowa? A lot can happen in a kid's formative years. Hopefully this guy avoids the injury bug and grows a few inches.

I see little downside to the kid being rated this high early. He is probably going to keep growing and getting better. Pretty big fish in a pretty small pond would be my only concern.

wow I am very pleasantly surprised. A lot of time between now and when he is at iowa but this is great news. Good day for hawk fans

Wasn't Peter Jok rated this high three years before coming to Iowa? A lot can happen in a kid's formative years. Hopefully this guy avoids the injury bug and grows a few inches.

Not meaning to piss in everyone's cereal, but JR Angle was rated in the top 25 as a freshman and look how he turned out at Iowa.

Hopefully the same will not happen to Wieskamp.

It is hilarious to watch isu fans to nuts on cyclone fanatic about this topic.

Perkyforherky and others are really slapping them around.

Not meaning to piss in everyone's cereal, but JR Angle was rated in the top 25 as a freshman and look how he turned out at Iowa.

And conversely Lebron James was probably that highly rated too. And look how he turned out. Isn't this fun?

I'll take my chances with a kid currently ranked 16th. That works for me much better than a kid currently ranked................. say 16,000th or so.

It is hilarious to watch isu fans to nuts on cyclone fanatic about this topic.

Skimmed through over there. This little gem stuck out to me:

CyTwins
Re: Joe Wieskamp 2018

FWIW I don't think Fran is on the hot seat at all and would like him to coach in IC for as long as possible. As long as he keeps Iowa near the bubble he'll get a statue put up outside Carver.

Pretty good slam considering there's a statue of Johnny Orr at Hilton, a coach who was just over .500 at ISU, never won more than 22 games in a season there, and took them to the Sweet 16 exactly once in 14 years (only made it past the first round twice).

CyTwins

FWIW I don't think Fran is on the hot seat at all and would like him to coach in IC for as long as possible. As long as he keeps Iowa near the bubble he'll get a statue put up outside Carver.

Pretty good slam considering there's a statue of Johnny Orr at Hilton, a coach who was just over .500 at ISU, never won more than 22 games in a season there, and took them to the Sweet 16 exactly once in 14 years (only made it past the first round twice).

Like I said isu fans over there are hilarious.

Joe looks like a great get. In a recent 3pt shooting contest, he hit 79 of 100 on one try. Then 91 out of 100, with 39 straight 3s. That is pretty amazing for shooting free throws, not to mention 3 pointers!
I thought I heard it was in a drill. A drill where you go full speed off of picks etc. Maybe not but either way, impressive

guys like Jok and Angle were far more physically developed as freshmen. no way to know for sure, but looking at Joe it seems like he has a lot of physical maturing ahead of him.

guys like Jok and Angle were far more physically developed as freshmen. no way to know for sure, but looking at Joe it seems like he has a lot of physical maturing ahead of him.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think we've seen the best of what Jok has to offer yet. While the knee is obviously fully recovered at this point, he really lost 2-3 years of development due to the injury. He simply still had enough size and talent to still flourish at the HS level, but playing on 1 leg for 2 years has to hamper development in a lot of areas (and it didn't help that Horner didn't really require him to play defense in fear of him getting in foul trouble). He's never going to have elite lateral quickness (and really never did), but I think we could continue to see significant improvements over the next 2 years.

You would think isu fans would be getting use to 4-5 star players turning them down.

No worries, bee or Farmer will tell us soon enough how it really is.

obviously joks injury was severe but we will really never know how much of his regression was due to to his knee and how much was attributable to the rest of his class catching up to him.

I think we will eventually know, just that it's going to be in hindsight based on what he does over the next couple years. He really wasn't an athletically elite dunking machine prior to the injury. I think it's been more about being able to focus on conditioning again and learning to play good position defense. Last year his conditioning had improved, but you would still see him start out hot often and then backslide (on both ends of the court) as he began to tire.

And conversely Lebron James was probably that highly rated too. And look how he turned out. Isn't this fun?

I'll take my chances with a kid currently ranked 16th. That works for me much better than a kid currently ranked................. say 16,000th or so.

Apples and oranges, Copernicus.

CyTwins

Do you mean the Johnny Orr that had a losing record in the Big 8/12? I remember him. Iowa does have a statue of a Heisman at Kinnick, and Gable outside Carver, a coach who dominated the clones while he was coaching.

I think we will eventually know, just that it's going to be in hindsight based on what he does over the next couple years. He really wasn't an athletically elite dunking machine prior to the injury. I think it's been more about being able to focus on conditioning again and learning to play good position defense. Last year his conditioning had improved, but you would still see him start out hot often and then backslide (on both ends of the court) as he began to tire.
I thought I remembered reading that Jok suffers from asthma issues as well. If that's the case, I don't know how much better I would expect him to get from a conditioning standpoint. At some point the lungs just work against you, even if the legs are in great shape.

Not to mention there was nothing like the modern AAU circuit back then. Kids have to really shine against very good opponents early these days.

JR Angle was basically the same size he was in eighth grade as when he graduated college. This kid looks like he's going to put some more bulk on his frame.

JR unfortunately had zero athleticism and no dribble drive game. Probably a good player in game of H-O-R-S-E but not in game of basketball at Div1 level.

I think quick release, ability to shoot at odd angles, broad array of shots, dribbling skills, raw athleticism are going to determine how good Wieskamp is at Div1 level. I have never seen him play, but certainly the has impressive credentials and I'll definitely be rooting for him. Nice to see and Iowa kid stick around. .

There's no big downside here, barring injury. Getting guys in the top 25 of any class is good. It attracts the interest of top flight players in every way from social media to AAU and HS friends of the recruit. That's ESPN #53 in 2017 and #16 in 2018. Most importantly guys in the top 100 are just statistically more likely to become top flight players than guys that aren't in the top 100.

The fact that a similarly ranked recruit that didn't pan out just makes it statistically more likely that the next top 20 freshman will pan out pretty big. Doesn't guaranty it but does make star performance statistically more likely.

Reactions: RocknRollface
The fact that a similarly ranked recruit that didn't pan out just makes it statistically more likely that the next top 20 freshman will pan out pretty big. Doesn't guaranty it but does make star performance statistically more likely.

The lack of one person panning out doesn't increase the odds of someone else panning out or "make star performance statistically more likely".

But yes, it's never bad to get a highly rated recruit. Only quibble is I'm not sure what rankings even mean for freshmen players. I'd be interested to see some kind of breakdown between top 25 kids after their freshman season compared to after their senior season. How many are still there? 20%? 60%? Because being top 25 after your freshman season is nice, but not nearly as nice as after your senior season. 5 star HS seniors have a very high likelihood of ending up as high end college players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT