ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Davidson scores a lot...gives up a lot

Davidson will be a tough game. We will need to match up with their shooters. They shoot 40% as a team from the 3 pt line and have made 337 threes this year. We need to treat them like Northwestern the 2nd time around and run them off the three point line and make them drive the ball. We should (like nearly every other game this year) have an advantage inside.

33e3n0g.jpg

Originally posted by IACentralHawk73:
Treat them like Indiana, they play just like Indiana too.
That will work too. The good thing about the matchup is that they don't seem too interested in playing defense, so we don't need to worry about another team like Penn St. who really uglies the game up.

Originally posted by Wordel:
What kind of size do they have? Will our length bother them?
They will be undersized in this game. They have a few 6'7 and a 6'9. But their guards are their strength on paper. They shoot it well. We need to make their posts beat us.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Looks like one guy @ 6'11 then 6'8 and smaller on the rest of the roster
6'11 doesn't play much. 6'9 kid (Belford) started and played their first 6 games, but must of got hurt. So they will struggle to match our size.

Navyrules-

The thing is though that they'll certainly play with the same sense of urgency that PSU played with. That fearless, ready to throw everything at you and it will work attitude that usually results in Iowa standing with their thumbs up their butt while watching it happen just because they're not "mean" enough to say "nah f*** you and your over-zealousness...gtfo out of my tournament."

I'm not too fond of the idea of possibly being another Davidson faux-Cinderella "victim".

Originally posted by navyrules:

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Looks like one guy @ 6'11 then 6'8 and smaller on the rest of the roster
6'11 doesn't play much. 6'9 kid (Belford) started and played their first 6 games, but must of got hurt. So they will struggle to match our size.
Only problem we have is that Woody plays like he is 6'4

We need to play our best D and use our length to disrupt and contend shots. Then use our size advantage to rack up points in the paint.

Davidson -- All Offense, No Defense. Our length should help us, little nervous about our guard play but think Gesell and Clemmons will do fine. Definitely nervous for this first round game though. Got to play a hell of a lot better than we did against PSU.

Funnel through the post. Funnel through the post. Funnel through the post.

I see a lot of people saying use our size to bury them, but how many times do we actually use our size? not a troll post.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
Navyrules-

The thing is though that they'll certainly play with the same sense of urgency that PSU played with. That fearless, ready to throw everything at you and it will work attitude that usually results in Iowa standing with their thumbs up their butt while watching it happen just because they're not "mean" enough to say "nah f*** you and your over-zealousness...gtfo out of my tournament."

I'm not too fond of the idea of possibly being another Davidson faux-Cinderella "victim".
Evil-

I'm not saying it's a shoe-in for us. Far from it, we will have to play well to win. Davidson has been there before and will give us a good shot. What I'm implying that it's much tougher to get kids to play the way PSU plays because of the physical/mental toughness it takes. While I'm nervous, I also like the fact that Davidson gives up 70 a game and let Montana put up 99 on em. I just think that's a much better match up for Iowa than a lot of teams out there. Regardless, if Iowa shoots a similar percentage as the PSU anomaly we will assuredly lose. I personally don't see that happening, but of course I could be wrong

Originally posted by yerpHAWK:
I see a lot of people saying use our size to bury them, but how many times do we actually use our size? not a troll post.
Not a troll answer ..... but our three leading scorers (White, Uthoff, and Olesani) are all 6'9 or better.

They're in it and they've got a match up with a better than average chance to win.
That's about as much as they could have asked for.

It's the NCAA tournament. The overwhelming likelihood is that you'll end up against some team with good guards that shoot a nice percentage from 3. We are the exception to the rule

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
It's the NCAA tournament. The overwhelming likelihood is that you'll end up against some team with good guards that shoot a nice percentage from 3. We are the exception to the rule
While what you say is true. Davidson is the 2nd best in makes per game in the country and 13th in %. So even among NCAA tourney teams they are elite. We need to run them off that line, which is easier said than done.

Originally posted by yerpHAWK:
Every game. We led the Big Ten if offensive rebounding. We really use it on defense. Our half court trap, our zone and our ability to defend the paint. We often out score teams in the paint.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It won't be easy, but we'll have a definite size/rebounding advantage. Looks like a smaller team that does a lot of run and gun, and 3 pt shooting. They were the regular season Atlantic 10 champs, and won there last 10 in a row before losing to VCU. Loses to North Carolina and Virginia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT