ADVERTISEMENT

NC State dual

I won’t apologize for being wrong. Im gonna talk some crap and root for Iowa above all else. That includes you and your team. If they could lose every time out I’d be the happiest wrestling fan in America. Ponder that as long or as little as you need to. See ya in a little bit!
I was hoping to see the battle at bigs tonight...that was a big letdown...
Honestly I think Kerk wouldn’t have been quite ready after his little flu bug setback against a horse in Schultz. Hopefully by March Cass, Schultz and Kerk are settled in.

yep, as vulnerable as they've looked at times too, there was no question who the more impressive team was today.

tons of questions moving forward with their lineup and whether the hawks start shifting into gear soon.
Disagree, I think this NC State team takes Penn State to the woodhouse. They were out for blood. ASU isn't near the dual team that NC State is, and I think if the tables were flipped we're talking about how terrible PSU looked and how great we performed.

Kerk looks great right now. Much quicker than I thought he would be to be honest. Cass "looks" amazing but I'm not sure this transformed Cass is better on the mat; still TBD. Maybe it's just me, but had he wrestled the backup from NC State last year I think he would have throttled him. As it was, he didn't throttle him at all...and almost got turned for the second time this year. I'm hopeful he's just getting used to this new and improved physique. Being 20-30 pounds lighter he can't do the things he's been capable of in the past. Looking forward to see how Cass, Kerk and Parris look against each other come Midlands or January duals...

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
Disagree, I think this NC State team takes Penn State to the woodhouse. They were out for blood. ASU isn't near the dual team that NC State is, and I think if the tables were flipped we're talking about how terrible PSU looked and how great we performed.
My friend, I would love to agree with you, but that dog just aint huntin. I think this NC State team would have felt the same pain ASU experienced against PSU last night. That said, I would have liked to have seen the Hidlays against Star and Brooks, just to see how close they are. But no, I think it would have been a similar ass beating to what ASU experienced. Some close matches, but not so close score at the end.

Nobody in the Hawk camp can ever complain about the officiating again. Wow. Tom and Terry intimidate the officials to that win. Sad. There is no other coaches in the country that could get away with what they do. Absolutely disgusting and shameful.
John Smith literally got an official to add back a team point against Wyoming.

Kerk looks great right now. Much quicker than I thought he would be to be honest. Cass "looks" amazing but I'm not sure this transformed Cass is better on the mat; still TBD. Maybe it's just me, but had her wrestled the backup from NC State last year I think he would have throttled him. As it was, he didn't throttle him at all...and almost got turned for the second time this year. I'm hopeful he's just getting used to this new and improved physique. Being 20-30 pounds lighter he can't do the things he's been capable of in the past. Looking forward to see how Cass, Kerk and Parris look against each other come Midlands or January duals...
Tony didn't get turned the first time out, he was turning the guy and he got to high and got rolled through. That was a fluke. Results so far say Tony still only has 1 loss, which again was a fluke, and the real test will be when he faces Parris. He, nor anybody, is beating Gable.

Reactions: 24 so far
My friend, I would love to agree with you, but that dog just aint huntin. I think this NC State team would have felt the same pain ASU experienced against PSU last night. That said, I would have liked to have seen the Hidlays against Star and Brooks, just to see how close they are. But no, I think it would have been a similar ass beating to what ASU experienced. Some close matches, but not so close score at the end.
I think you are selling NCState short, while also ignoring the fact that Iowa's clear #2 wrestler in Kemerer still wasn't wrestling.

If you look at how NCState wrestled, they ABSOLUTELY would have been considerably more competitive with PSU than ASU was. And I say that being a fan of ASU, having known Zeke for quite some time.

125: Camacho gets bonus. NCState 4-0
133: RBY gets bonus. Tied 4-4
141: Lee gets bonus PSU 8-4
149: Wilson wins comfortably PSU 8-7
157: Scott wins comfortably NCState 10-8 Could he have got the pin here as well?
165: Bullard wins comfortably NCState 13-8
174: Starocci wins a close one NCState 13-11 If Foca almost beat him lets not act like Hayden couldn't.
184: Brooks wins a close one PSU 14-13 If one of the Hidlays pull it out they win the dual.
197: Dean wins PSU 17-13 Trumble is TOUGH. I don't see him winning but he would be competitive
285: Kerk wins comfortably PSU 20-13

NCState is a LEGIT dual team. Which is why they are number 2 in wrestlestat.com rankings. In fact, I would say they have a better chance to beat PSU than Iowa based on the matchups. They were able to steal an upset win at 157 by FALL and still couldn't win. In the above, there is not ONE upset and they still win the same amount of matches as they did against Iowa, without Kemerer wrestling.

On top of that, 174 and 184 are definitely matches they could win, without it being a surprise. 149-165 are all strong weights for NCState, while 157 and 165 are NOT for PSU and 149 would still be a man against boy match up for Wilson against Bartlett. Hell, even once Hildebrandt goes for PSU, it would still be a 50/50 matchup.

I think you are selling NCState short, while also ignoring the fact that Iowa's clear #2 wrestler in Kemerer still wasn't wrestling.

If you look at how NCState wrestled, they ABSOLUTELY would have been considerably more competitive with PSU than ASU was. And I say that being a fan of ASU, having known Zeke for quite some time.

157: Scott wins comfortably NCState 10-8 Could he have got the pin here as well?
174: Starocci wins a close one NCState 13-11 If Foca almost beat him lets not act like Hayden couldn't.
184: Brooks wins a close one PSU 14-13 If one of the Hidlays pull it out they win the dual.
197: Dean wins PSU 17-13 Trumble is TOUGH. I don't see him winning but he would be competitive

NCState is a LEGIT dual team. Which is why they are number 2 in wrestlestat.com rankings. In fact, I would say they have a better chance to beat PSU than Iowa based on the matchups. They were able to steal an upset win at 157 by FALL and still couldn't win. In the above, there is not ONE upset and they still win the same amount of matches as they did against Iowa, without Kemerer wrestling.

On top of that, 174 and 184 are definitely matches they could win, without it being a surprise. 149-165 are all strong weights for NCState, while 157 and 165 are NOT for PSU and 149 would still be a man against boy match up for Wilson against Bartlett. Hell, even once Hildebrandt goes for PSU, it would still be a 50/50 matchup.
my one disagreement is wilson winning comfortably. that would be a close match. bartlett beat parco last night.

Reactions: Cali_Nitt
Tony didn't get turned the first time out, he was turning the guy and he got to high and got rolled through. That was a fluke. Results so far say Tony still only has 1 loss, which again was a fluke, and the real test will be when he faces Parris. He, nor anybody, is beating Gable.
Thank you for correcting me, Augie...and you are correct, it was a roll-thru...that surprised me as much as I'm sure it did everyone else, including Big Tony. And to be honest, I think that was just a matter of Cass getting used to his new weight. WRT Gable, as much as I dislike the man he is incredibly impressive. However, I still remember the way Cassar beat him in the semifinals back in 2019, and I think Kerk is capable of a similar result. The Kerk I watched during the duals is much quicker than I thought he would be and I think he could have something for Steveson. In the end I hope they both get DQ'd for unauthorized wrestling gear so Cass has a chance of winning NCAAs and PSU gets zero points at HWT.

Thank you for correcting me, Augie...and you are correct, it was a roll-thru...that surprised me as much as I'm sure it did everyone else, including Big Tony. And to be honest, I think that was just a matter of Cass getting used to his new weight. WRT Gable, as much as I dislike the man he is incredibly impressive. However, I still remember the way Cassar beat him in the semifinals back in 2019, and I think Kerk is capable of a similar result. The Kerk I watched during the duals is much quicker than I thought he would be and I think he could have something for Steveson. In the end I hope they both get DQ'd for unauthorized wrestling gear so Cass has a chance of winning NCAAs and PSU gets zero points at HWT.
The Steveson that Cassar beat, would get majored or worse against the current Steveson. Using that match as a reference point is nearly the equivalent of going back to high school results to pick a DI match up years later...

I'm not going to disagree with you too much, though Bullard did not take the mat against us at 165, it was his backup, Cates. Since Bullard didn't start, I'm taking PSU's 165 pounder who wrestled Valencia pretty darn well. I think the Bull could have easily cut and scored on Cates, but he was going for the fall. I don't see Cates beating the youngster from PSU, so I'm thinking NC State scores 10 points just like ASU did. And I'm certainly not downplaying NC State. My point to GoHawk, who said he thought this NC State team would take Penn State to the woodhouse, was that he's way off the mark.

Just as you alluded to and as I mentioned in my post to GoHawk, I see some close matches, but not a close final score.

The Steveson that Cassar beat, would get majored or worse against the current Steveson. Using that match as a reference point is nearly the equivalent of going back to high school results to pick a DI match up years later...
And back then nobody thought Cassar had a chance of beating Steveson and most were confident Steveson would run the table every year and become a 4 time champion. I'm not downplaying Steveson, but at the same time I'm not downplaying Kerk either. Kerk is really fricking quick and the moves Gable pulls on Mason and Cass won't be so easy against Kerk IMO.

And I think Wilson is considerably better than Parco and a stylistic nightmare for Bartlett. Styles make matchups!
i don’t see the style nightmare personally. bartlett is really good at holding position. wilson only got to siebrecht’s legs a couple times and he’s not even a good defensive wrestler. that match screams 1 takedown to me.

the other thing is that wilson can be streaky. sometimes he’s an attacking machine and others he looks very average.

I'm not going to disagree with you too much, though Bullard did not take the mat against us at 165, it was his backup, Cates. Since Bullard didn't start, I'm taking PSU's 165 pounder who wrestled Valencia pretty darn well. I think the Bull could have easily cut and scored on Cates, but he was going for the fall. I don't see Cates beating the youngster from PSU, so I'm thinking NC State scores 10 points just like ASU did. And I'm certainly not downplaying NC State. My point to GoHawk, who said he thought this NC State team would take Penn State to the woodhouse, was that he's way off the mark.

Just as you alluded to and as I mentioned in my post to GoHawk, I see some close matches, but not a close final score.
How is it possible to take a team to the woodshed when it has 4 returning NCAA champions. Would love to hear that explanation. Sure they could lose, but woodshed?

How is it possible to take a team to the woodshed when it has 4 returning NCAA champions. Would love to hear that explanation. Sure they could lose, but woodshed?
I guess it is theoretically possible if the team had guys at each weight that could beat those 4 and then good guys at every weight....Still, I don't think there is a team like that nor a team good enough to handily beat PSU. But, NCState probably matches up as well with PSU as anyone other than Iowa and possibly Michigan.

• Haha
I guess it is theoretically possible if the team had guys at each weight that could beat those 4 and then good guys at every weight....Still, I don't think there is a team like that nor a team good enough to handily beat PSU. But, NCState probably matches up as well with PSU as anyone other than Iowa and possibly Michigan.
Cornell came up an escape short of beating PSU yesterday.

That's why I responded to his post when he said that. I wasn't downplaying NC State's team, but at the same time, like you, knew their was no chance for any "woodshed" action or anything close to it. :)

It is December freaking 21st. That is all. We are a long way from March. Everyone take a deep effing breath...

177f.gif

Of course you think that, you're so far up PSU's ass you couldn't possibly see them having any weakness.

Reactions: wasdt21
Really? That's your comeback to me for calling you out for being so far out there - implying that NC State was going to take PSU to the woodshed? Your complete disdain for PSU has affected your ability to see what's right in front of you. I'm no fan but I'm not going to tell everyone how bad PSU sucks when they don't. And they do have weaknesses just like the rest of us, but their weaknesses aren't such that NC State is going to take them to the woodshed. Some of you think I'm "so far up PSU's ass" because I'm calling it like I see it. What's wrong with that? And so sorry, but I'm not going to dislike people I don't know because of the college they decided to attend or the state they live(d) in...that's just plain dumb.

Really? That's your comeback to me for calling you out for being so far out there - implying that NC State was going to take PSU to the woodshed? Your complete disdain for PSU has affected your ability to see what's right in front of you. I'm no fan but I'm not going to tell everyone how bad PSU sucks when they don't. And they do have weaknesses just like the rest of us, but their weaknesses aren't such that NC State is going to take them to the woodshed. Some of you think I'm "so far up PSU's ass" because I'm calling it like I see it. What's wrong with that? And so sorry, but I'm not going to dislike people I don't know because of the college they decided to attend or the state they live(d) in...that's just plain dumb.
Lol it wasn't disdain blinding me to PSU's Holy Glory..

PSU almost lost to Cornell, and showed they have multiple weaknesses, as do we. NCSt was out for blood, and if you made me bet money on who was going to win, I would've put it on NCSt over PSU.

Obviously they weren't going to blow out PSU, it's a figure of speech, though I think it's funny that you decided to keep focusing on that one sentence.

Lol it wasn't disdain blinding me to PSU's Holy Glory..

PSU almost lost to Cornell, and showed they have multiple weaknesses, as do we. NCSt was out for blood, and if you made me bet money on who was going to win, I would've put it on NCSt over PSU.

Obviously they weren't going to blow out PSU, it's a figure of speech, though I think it's funny that you decided to keep focusing on that one sentence.
Brother: I promise I wouldn't have focused if you wouldn't have said it; and if it was rhetorical I apologize. I stated that I thought the matches would be close so wasn't downplaying NC State's abilities, and like you I think NC State clearly has a very impressive team. But it's hard to bet against schools like Iowa or PSU that are loaded with talent.

This ^^^ is the definition of homerism and delusion.

I don't know I didn't see it. But what does that have to with Tom and Terry bullying the officials every match?
You're pretending like they are the only ones who do it, and that's wrong. The officials are grown adults, maybe Target your whining at them.

I'm not pretending anything. Every coach gets after officials. But what those little tyrants do is borderline assault.
You Flat out said they are the only Coaches that get away with it. As another poster pointed out John Smith literally got the official to GIVE BACK a Team point that he had taken away from OKST against Wyoming
Nobody in the Hawk camp can ever complain about the officiating again. Wow. Tom and Terry intimidate the officials to that win. Sad. There is no other coaches in the country that could get away with what they do. Absolutely disgusting and shameful.

Reactions: moug
I'm not sure if I can simplify this any better. No coaches treat officials the way Tom and Terry Brands do. Not 1.
What are you looking for here? IOW, what response would make you go away? I’m guessing nothing so carry on beating your drum if it makes ya feel better. Whatever………

Reactions: johnyt9
What are you looking for here? IOW, what response would make you go away? I’m guessing nothing so carry on beating your drum if it makes ya feel better. Whatever………
Troll boy needs to be removed.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
The truth is hard sometimes. But I will be the honest one.
You’re honestly a d bag. Sleep well under your bridge troll. How do you have the energy to be such a an insufferable ass all the time. Welcome to my very short ignore list. It’s so short I’m not sure how to do it, but I’m bound and determined to figure it out for your dumb ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT