ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Session 1 Thread

Everybody needs to chill a little. Rathjen lost to a good wrestler and has a decent wrestleback path. PK is the only disaster. This is not a championship team and have looked decent to start imo.
You guys do remember that PK is a 165 pounder wrestling at 174, right? That is tough to do and it is tough to out condition a bigger guy. It is quite an accomplishment to be successful up a weight in D1. A few stellar athletes can do that and they are few and far between.

That isn't the point. All I am saying is the guy is giving it his best and he is up a weight. If you expect him to tear the field up, you are just setting yourself for disappointment.

i can’t speak for anyone else but the frustration stems more about how he lost that match. it was plain as day that the other guy was gassed but pk didn’t do anything the entire 3rd period to take advantage and he gave the other guy a chance to regroup.

that’s the only match that really surprised me all morning. oh well, onward

No matter what happens ppl will come on here and defend those two foreve

That isn't the point. All I am saying is the guy is giving it his best and he is up a weight. If you expect him to tear the field up, you are just setting yourself for disappointment.
I would have liked to see Gabe at 174 this season.

You guys do remember that PK is a 165 pounder wrestling at 174, right? That is tough to do and it is tough to out condition a bigger guy. It is quite an accomplishment to be successful up a weight in D1. A few stellar athletes can do that and they are few and far between.
Okay, but we also have a sample size of what he is capable of at 174 given those limitations and his performance today was far below that. The disaster isn't that he lost. It's that he had an amazing draw and blew it.

Does the next round go consi's, Round of 16, consi's, or consi's Round of 16?

His loss was more mental than physical.

Would you disagree?
I cannot say for sure. They go hand in hand.
It still seems that he is wrestling up a weigh and that is his biggest problem. Now, I agree, that 165 is loaded and he probably is not good enough to dominate at that weight either. But, he is every bit as good of a wrestler as - say a Mike Evans was. He is just too small for 174 and in a much tougher weight at 165.

Plain and simple Kennedy has not preformed to his high recruit level. He was a huge get for Iowa and he may never be an AA. He has certainly been a bust.
I agree that he has not lived up to expectations, but he should get a little slack since he is wrestling up a weight. JMHO

It still seems that he is wrestling up a weigh and that is his biggest problem. Now, I agree, that 165 is loaded and he probably is not good enough to dominate at that weight either. But, he is every bit as good of a wrestler as - say a Mike Evans was. He is just too small for 174 and in a much tougher weight at 165.
He isn’t good enough to beat Caliendo. That’s all that matters here.

Effing Kennedy tried sitting on the riding time lead. Unbelievable. Eichens was exhausted to start the 3rd, Kennedy could have taken him down at will. Puke!!
That shit there was Alex Marinelli 101 at NCAAs!! Hate that style!! Love Alex, who was a beast until he went into that 1 TD and pray for a win mode. I do not want that style in our room!!!

We've seemed to recruit shorter guys at so many weights over the years and it's one of my uninformed beefs.

Guys shoot, opponent spawls, and we're stuck underneath.

My fear is Gabe has the same issues with elite guys next season and beyond.
Hope to hell I'm wrong on GA.

Kennedy - Facundo - Both huge recruits.

Facundo doesn’t AA as Redshirt Freshman - replaced.

Kennedy loses first round, it’s a weight issue and he should cut to 157 next year.

I see a problem
Penn State can afford some big recruits not panning out because they almost always have another incoming big name recruit or a transfer lined up. We cannot afford those same misses.

We’re better off with Caliendo at 65, Siebrecht at 57, and Kennedy on the bench.
Siebrecht has the funk to end a match at any time but him and Rathjen and Kennedy are pretty much RD12 guys.

We need a handful of high level transfers at 33, 41, 49 and 57.

I'm good with Mikey, Gabe, Nelson, Glazier (or he who shall not be named) and BK on the back end.

For being a “recruiting guru” Star is not that good of a recruiter.
Yes, thought that was the reason he was on the staff, for his recruiting prowess. That is where PSU really separates itself, and even a hand full of other team are passing us up in this area. I can’t believe some of you were wondering why tnt were/are going after the Ferrari’s. They want to win, but at this time, PSU is going to get the guys who are the whole package more than we are. We have a few young ones like that, with Gabe , Deluca, hopefully Angelo, but need to fill in with riskier guys like older Ferrari’s until we can get 2-3 guys like the ones I mentioned in each class. If that means attracting young bigger name assistants, great. I hope Glazier’s last 2 matches finally convinces some of you he is NOT better than AJ as a wrestler. Him and Colby were fun feel good stories, but both started reverting back to themselves at the end of the year. Hope Zach can AA, but now going to have to pull big upset to do it. This also gives Nebraska 197 an easier match tonight, unless he chokes too.

Reactions: xjohnx
I think the unfortunate reality is that too many people are still hanging onto PK's recruiting ranking. He's never been that in college.

Through 4 years, he has 2 wins over AA's. One was Cam Amine, who then beat him the next week when it counted. The other is Jackson Turley at Big Tens this year. Turley was a flukey AA out of the 26 seed 3 years ago. Sub-500 last year. I don't really count that as a true AA win if we're being fair.

You just compared him to another overrated guy in high school who didn’t have the athleticism to be elite in college.

I think the unfortunate reality is that too many people are still hanging onto PK's recruiting ranking. He's never been that in college.

Through 4 years, he has 2 wins over AA's. One was Cam Amine, who then beat him the next week when it counted. The other is Jackson Turley at Big Tens this year. Turley was a flukey AA out of the 26 seed 3 years ago. Sub-500 last year. I don't really count that as a true AA win if we're being fair.
Didn’t he beat then top 5 Ruth of Illinois this year or was I watching a different Iowa team. I’m not sure about your stat line…

He doesn’t deserve to!! That was horrible wrestling and he should have to beat Star or Lewis to deserve to advance. What a letdown of a career by such an amazing athlete!
He was a hard nosed guy who matured early, which let him look good in high school, but was never an amazing athlete. If he was , he would have lived up to the hype

I am officially worried about that match. I hope Drake is ready to go!

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT