ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Session III

It does raise the question — to what extent should autistic athletes be allowed to compete in mainstream athletics? I don’t have the answer, and it’s a complex issue for sure. That said, if he’s done this sort of thing previously, the NCAA needs to keep track, discipline him appropriately (as with any wrestler, acrostic or not), and possibly remove him altogether if he’s unable to control his behavior that could injure opponents.

I’m not aware of any autistic D1 wrestlers in the past. Maybe there have been some, but I haven’t noticed any in 40+ years. Probably a new issue, and a tricky one.

My guess is that all is well as long as he’s winning, but precautions may need to be taken if he isn’t. Of course the same could be said of some wrestlers who are just knuckleheads and not autistic at all, but his mental illness would seem to predispose him to some extra off-the-wall behavior. I’ve certainly never seen a Kimura employed in a wrestling match with an apparent intent to inflict injury .
i would love to see a replay of this match; i wish it were easy to do so

i do think there needs to be some sort of 2 strikes and you are suspended type of thing; but not sure if even that would work for this individual

Not as many as you might think. 3 adv points. 7 bonus points makes 10. Then add in 6th place points (6pts) gives you 16. But in retrospect, that is almost a third of our total :)

But it really gives you some insight to the benefits of bonus point wrestlers and why PSU has been so hard to beat the past 7years
He only has 5 bonus pts. 2 techs and a pin

1 Ohio State 80.5
2 Penn State 67.0
3 Michigan 59.5
4 Iowa 53.5
5 NC State 44.0

1 Ohio State 80.5
2 Penn State 67.0
3 Michigan 59.5
4 Iowa 53.5
5 NC State 44.0
I'm usually a glass half full guy ... I can't lie ... it's tough seeing Iowa behind the likes of Michigan ... and even further behind OSU and PSU ... I love the young guys we have ... we just need a lot more of them ... Go Hawks and finish strong ... Lee is amazing to watch ... Bull ... kudos ...

I'm usually a glass half full guy ... I can't lie ... it's tough seeing Iowa behind the likes of Michigan ... and even further behind OSU and PSU ... I love the young guys we have ... we just need a lot more of them ... Go Hawks and finish strong ... Lee is amazing to watch ... Bull ... kudos ...
Keep in mind a lot the teams ahead got their 6th place pts and we have 4 who if they win their next rd will get pts for 8th and then hopefully more after that. We have a lot more to gain if Brandon and Kem get 3rd. Stoll has a good shot at 5th as well.

You hold them accountable the same as anyone else, no free passes...
What should happen in that situation (illegal hold), per the rules? Obviously, the refs need to stop action; but what else?

I agree with you; simply apply the rules.

And if someone has a disability that prevents them from abiding by the rules, they can't participate. But how many strikes do you get before you are banned?

tOSU 6 Semis 3 Conso
PSU 5 Semis 3 Conso
Mich. 5 Semis 0 Conso
Hawks 2 Semis 4 Conso
NC St. 3 Semis 2 Conso
Miss. 2 Semi 4 Conso

Lots of scheduled head to head and potential head to head in consolation side to determine 3 through 6 in team standings.

Reactions: Dagboi
Michigan max points is 134.5, Iowa is 161.5, so room to make up 6 is still there. But little margin for error as Coon and Micic will almost certainly make the finals, and Lee and Bull are toss ups.

Michigan max points is 134.5, Iowa is 161.5, so room to make up 6 is still there. But little margin for error as Coon and Micic will almost certainly make the finals, and Lee and Bull are toss ups.

Not sure Bull is a toss up match. I love how he wrestles and will gladly be wrong but Imar is a pretty strong favorite here I'd think.

Iowa should get at least one win between Lee and Kem (very possibly two), Sorenson and Stoll. Marinelli and Wilcke both likely done, but you don't know what Wilcke/Moore may show up so that one could be winnable though unlikely. Iowa should cement its place in 4th unless NC State and Mizzou start making big moves with lots of guys.

tOSU 6 Semis 3 Conso
PSU 5 Semis 3 Conso
Mich. 5 Semis 0 Conso
Hawks 2 Semis 4 Conso
NC St. 3 Semis 2 Conso
Miss. 2 Semi 4 Conso

Lots of scheduled head to head and potential head to head in consolation side to determine 3 through 6 in team standings.

Based on the semi/conso distribution, the matchups, and number of points on the board, Hawks can definitely catch Michigan for third but the margin of error is slim. We are positioned well for a trophy though. With 4 in the consos the upcoming blood round will be huuuuuge for the team race as well as the individuals involved.

I’m glad to see someone post with experience on the subject at hand. Wwddm is one of my favorite posters but has me scratching my head with his comments here.
Not sure why you’re calling me out here, pal, but whatever trips your trigger.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Iowa should get at least one win between Lee and Kem (very possibly two), Sorenson and Stoll. Marinelli and Wilcke both likely done, but you don't know what Wilcke/Moore may show up so that one could be winnable though unlikely. Iowa should cement its place in 4th unless NC State and Mizzou start making big moves with lots of guys.
Curious, what would our team score be if we had gross? I know, don’t get mad, just wondering and I’m lazy.

That's interesting if true. I would never have guessed that, and certainly not questioning you, but it does seem odd with Michigan having 5 guaranteed AA's and us only 2.

That's interesting if true. I would never have guessed that, and certainly not questioning you, but it does seem odd with Michigan having 5 guaranteed AA's and us only 2.
I believe it is true. Michigan has already collected the AA points. We still need to get to AA status to collect those points.

A big thing to remember is that all of the Michigan wrestlers left (5) already have their placement points for 6th. I could see 3 of the 5 placing 5 or 6. So very little additional points.

Yeah Turk neutral was right. How soon some forget, Turk got ridden out 4 different matches on the bottom at Big10. No excuse for losing to Red though. Pitiful.

Red was considered to be better all year and was a higher end recruit.

Not sure why you’re calling me out here, pal, but whatever trips your trigger.

I’m calling you out because I respect and admire you. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the discussion we’re having. I’m sorry if I offended you.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Not as many as you might think. 3 adv points. 7 bonus points makes 10. Then add in 6th place points (6pts) gives you 16. But in retrospect, that is almost a third of our total :)

But it really gives you some insight to the benefits of bonus point wrestlers and why PSU has been so hard to beat the past 7years

EDIT. should be 14 points. Only 5 bonus instead of 7

My bad
Last number is the number of points

Iowa 53.5
(3) Spencer Lee (IOWA) 17-2 14

Vincent Turk (IOWA) 13-8 3.5
(2) Brandon Sorensen (IOWA) 21-2 3
(6) Michael Kemerer (IOWA) 22-1 6
(5) Alex Marinelli (IOWA) 16-3 13
Joseph Gunther (IOWA) 16-7 0
Mitchell Bowman (IOWA) 12-11 4
(14) Cash Wilcke (IOWA) 18-7 4