ADVERTISEMENT

**NEW** Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Thread

It seemed like there was a group off to the side talking the whole time, seemed like they were having fun. I don't remember seeing Lewis with that group, but Greenway and Bjorn seem to have met up with her.

Lewis got in on a paid ticket...so would not have had the access that others did. Notice on the photo posted she did not have the access badge.

Reactions: hawkod
Did anyone in attendance today get an eye on Deal? It was an interesting day for her in particular bc Ohio State is certainly high on her list. I think her top 4 are likely Iowa, LSU, Stanford, Ohio State. Could anyone tell if she was cheering for the home team??
Addie sar a few rows in front of us. She seemed like she was into the hawks!

Resort to name calling...classic diversion tactic. But you are still incorrect.
What a stupid, petty thing to argue about. The coaches know a heck of alot more about how to recruit these young ladies, than you both do. They know how to balance their time and attention on each. FWIW, time is spent before and after the game with these young ladies. Something we don't see.

Getting them to Iowa City is a big deal. Carver was loud and proud, probably like nothing they have ever witnessed. Great campus and facilities, weather was nice and Iowa City is a nice community. I truly appreciate what coach Bluder and her staff feels is important besides basketball - preparing these young women for the next 40 years.

What a stupid, petty thing to argue about. The coaches know a heck of alot more about how to recruit these young ladies, than you both do. They know how to balance their time and attention on each. FWIW, time is spent before and after the game with these young ladies. Something we don't see.

Getting them to Iowa City is a big deal. Carver was loud and proud, probably like nothing they have ever witnessed. Great campus and facilities, weather was nice and Iowa City is a nice community. I truly appreciate what coach Bluder and her staff feels is important besides basketball - preparing these young women for the next 40 years.
Just going by what I was witnessing. And no, I wasn't behind the scenes to see how much attention was spent on the other recruits. But what I witnessed was pretty telling who they are recruiting the hardest out of all the recruits that were there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGHAWK

I understand that the focus of these threads is around finding the best hoop prospects and winning games. As much as I occasionally question Bluder's decisions, I absolutely admire her perspective around recruiting great students and young women of character. She understands that "student" comes before "athlete", and that she is helping to prepare those in her charge for the world, not just for the WNBA.

The overall excitement around the Iowa program, and the insane atmosphere in these games has to be an incredible recruiting tool for a program that might otherwise be a tough sell. I'll be a bit shocked if the past two seasons doesn't swing a few major recruits our direction.
I’m shocked that it hasn’t already paid huge dividends. Really we’ve only received one commitment that is what I would call unusual for our program to this point in Ava Heiden. Hopefully the upcoming classes change that.

I’m shocked that it hasn’t already paid huge dividends. Really we’ve only received one commitment that is what I would call unusual for our program to this point in Ava Heiden. Hopefully the upcoming classes change that.
And Heiden, like O’Grady, has family connections to the State of Iowa that made the Hawkeyes an easier sell.

Reactions: Torg
I believe the next two classes (25&26) will determine whether Iowa truly takes the next step in becoming a true elite program, Lisa and staff realize they may have a once in a lifetime chance to truly elevate the program to be on a UConn/S.Carolina/LSU level in the near future, The iron will never be hotter in regard to positive energy and media surrounding the program. I guess for me the one X factor when going after the truly elite players is how much of a factor will NIL play.

I believe the next two classes (25&26) will determine whether Iowa truly takes the next step in becoming a true elite program, Lisa and staff realize they may have a once in a lifetime chance to truly elevate the program to be on a UConn/S.Carolina/LSU level in the near future, The iron will never be hotter in regard to positive energy and media surrounding the program. I guess for me the one X factor when going after the truly elite players is how much of a factor will NIL play.
I agree-- I think being competitive in the NIL space and our team's performance this postseason will have a significant impact.

Side Note:
It would be great if the SWARM could provide an option to donate any amount directly to the WBB team rather than only allowing donations of $1K or more. More people would be willing to donate if a more affordable donation option was available. Additionally, I hope they will make more of an effort to promote donations to the Swarm for WBB, especially during this post-season when our program will be most visible. Our WBB team has a legitimate chance to become a top-tier program post-Clark if we approach this properly. Otherwise, it may be too little, too late.

Furthermore, I feel like once we secure a big-name recruit from out of state in the 2025 class (looking at you, Addie Deal), the rest of the recruits will be more inclined to commit. If we get a commitment from her and another top recruit, we may have a chance at landing Lewis, Greenway, and Bjorn, as they clearly seem to be friends and have already visited the campus a lot.

I believe the next two classes (25&26) will determine whether Iowa truly takes the next step in becoming a true elite program, Lisa and staff realize they may have a once in a lifetime chance to truly elevate the program
Well said, and I respect the obvious stepped-up effort Bluder, Jensen & staff are making on the recruiting trail. I also agree with the calculated risk they are taking in not offering a player like Zediker, and letting her go to Creighton. But even with all the momentum in the program, the recruiting hill is still steep for Iowa.

I’ve been skeptical that they can up their recruiting game and attract McDonald AA tier players, which is what it takes to have any kind of staying power as an elite WBB team. It’s hard after 24 years to become something new. But if ever there was a time to try, it’s now.

Well said, and I respect the obvious stepped-up effort Bluder, Jensen & staff are making on the recruiting trail. I also agree with the calculated risk they are taking in not offering a player like Zediker, and letting her go to Creighton. But even with all the momentum in the program, the recruiting hill is still steep for Iowa.

I’ve been skeptical that they can up their recruiting game and attract McDonald AA tier players, which is what it takes to have any kind of staying power as an elite WBB team. It’s hard after 24 years to become something new. But if ever there was a time to try, it’s now.

Yes - but can be done. South Carolina made their first Final Four in 2015.

The skill level of girl's/women's hoops has exploded over the past decade. Exciting for recruiting, but with so many potentially great players on the way, where do you focus?

Reactions: cmhawks99
After what has transpired with cc, the publicity, the iowa fans, the national championship game, just everything that has happened the last few years if we don't get some high, high level recruits to come we never will

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT