ADVERTISEMENT

New Wrestling facility

Where did you think the tunnel would lead to? I thought this was the big thing from day 1.

Just curious.

I knew there was going to be a tunnel to carver. I didn't realize that meant the second you exit the tunnel you'd be directly on the arena floor. I assumed they'd have to walk through the back areas in Carver first.

I haven't followed the building plans closely from day 1 other than the recent discussion over natural lighting.

Except he wrestled in the Iowa room when it also had no windows. Also, there is no natural light coming in the arenas during dual meets or at nationals so I am not sure how he copes with that. It’s actually beneath a head college coach to be trolling on social media.
Had he not attached a picture of unquestionably the ugliest, most run-down room in the country, you may have a point. It was good tongue in cheek humor.

Also, our head assistant was caught on a hot mic calling him a giant pu$$y not long ago, he owed us one.

Back in the day, 1970s just as the Iowa wrestling dynasty was taking form, the practice facility was a relatively small room with matts from wall to wall. You entered thru (what felt like a crawl-space) door. The odor in the room was, let's say, "manly" .The room had a single bench on each of the four walls which as I recall was also padded. Let's just say, the wrestling room could only be appreciated by a certain type of guy... maybe, why the dominance began!

Funny thing is Schwab chose to wrestle at Iowa (where there are currently no windows) over UNI out of high-school. So those windows must not have persuaded him too much....that said, well done Doug! Made me laugh.

Last edited:
Inconceivable!
jackie GIF

Nevermind. This is no longer happening. ISU is no longer buying this facility.

I also didn’t realize they were going to sell bonds to pay for it, versus Iowa funding it’s facility with donations.
They’re scraping the whole project? Where did you get this information?

College Football Playoff money? Sounds like an excuse.
He pulls this shit all the time. He’s savvy. I don’t know many times the guy has whined about something, and begged for their fans to write checks. It’s how he operates. It happens more often than he gets kicked out of high school basketball games.

He cries about Iowa and the B1G, but I don’t see him begging for the Big XII to make sure the Sun Belt is on equal footing…

Reactions: Bold_Crow

College Football Playoff money? Sounds like an excuse.

He pulls this shit all the time. He’s savvy. I don’t know many times the guy has whined about something, and begged for their fans to write checks. It’s how he operates. It happens more often than he gets kicked out of high school basketball games.

He cries about Iowa and the B1G, but I don’t see him begging for the Big XII to make sure the Sun Belt is on equal footing…

In the past College Football Playoff (CFP) structure, the 5 major Power conferences (SEC, B1G, Big 12, ACC, PAC 12) mostly split evenly 80% of the CFP’s $460M in revenue. The PAC 12 no longer exists, of course, so now they are calling the SEC & B1G the Power 2 and the Big 12 and the ACC "the Other 2."

The Power 2 flexed their muscles and starting in 2026 SEC teams will earn as much as $23M annually from the CFP, the B1G $21M, the ACC around $13.7M and the Big 12 around $12.3M. Group of 5 teams are expected to earn a figure just south of $2M.

Click on the football helmet to take you to the full story:

In the past College Football Playoff (CFP) structure, the 5 major Power conferences (SEC, B1G, Big 12, ACC, PAC 12) mostly split evenly 80% of the CFP’s $460M in revenue. The PAC 12 no longer exists, of course, so now they are calling the SEC & B1G the Power 2 and the Big 12 and the ACC "the Other 2."

The Power 2 flexed their muscles and starting in 2026 SEC teams will earn as much as $23M annually from the CFP, the B1G $21M, the ACC around $13.7M and the Big 12 around $12.3M. Group of 5 teams are expected to earn a figure just south of $2M.

Click on the football helmet to take you to the full story:

I wasn’t suggesting what he said was false, it’s not. I’m suggesting he’s using it to squeeze his donor base. It’s how he works, and it does work.

Care to share any thoughts?
I’ve talked a little about it in the past, but I can give a bit of an update. Knocking the important thing out of the way first; no natural light coming through windows……just kidding that isn’t a big deal for me lol. But it does give off a dark vibe in there but I’m assuming that’s what they wanted because almost everything is either black or grey. Lockers, mats, weights, most of the walls that aren’t precast-black. Flooring and precast walls-grey. It’s actually kind of gives off a cool vibe.
I get the feeling the person that designed it doesn’t know Iowa wrestling cause there’s only two athletic tables off to the side of the mat in a small little area and my initial thought was if they watched Iowa wrestling they would’ve added about another 15 tables 😉.
I kind of stated in the past it’s awesome that it’s a stand alone building and the mat area is pretty damn big, but it is what it is and that’s a wrestling room and it’s really hard to make one stand out from another to big time recruits. I mean if your selling point is we have fresher paint then their wrestling room great but I don’t feel this moves the needle a whole lot for recruiting. However I do feel like it was much needed and will be awesome.

And honestly if anyone wants to look at it any Joe Blow could go tour it before it officially opens up. Grab yourself a $15 hard hat and a 5 gallon bucket and just go walk around the place. Just look confident and act like you belong there…….how do you think I get in lol

Room appears to be completely done.

Reactions: eb05
Room appears to be completely done.
Why did they remove Nicolls' name from the room? In the pic, it just says Bob and Kathy, and it's off center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT