ADVERTISEMENT

One Interesting American behavior

Curious to get some opinions.....

I lived overseas for a number of years and have noticed one interesting thing since repatriating.

Why do so many Americans routinely take shots at so many other parts of the country? On one hand, Americans consistently boast their perceived status as the 'greatest country in the world' but then turn around and bash someone for being from Florida or Detroit or Arkansas or the East Coast or the West Coast, etc. etc. Obviously, the size of the country plays a factor but it's pretty bad.

I can honestly say I never once heard anyone in Australia, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Thailand and so many other places say anything negative about people in other parts of the country. In fact, people often spoke with great pride about different parts of the country. "You should really visit Chiang Mai. The festivals are amazing and the scenery is wonderful". "Definitely take time to visit Wakayama and Kobe while you're in Osaka. You'll really enjoy it and the food is terrific."

Visit America.......'What the hell are visiting Oklahoma for? There's nothing to see and people are backwards hillbillies". "Don't waste your time in California. It's way over-priced and the people are a-holes". Etc. Etc.

The only time I've noticed this abroad is the South Vietnamese talking about the North and the Canadians commenting on Quebec.

I don't know.....it just always gets my attention. I love America and the diversity of the place. An incredible country. Just don't understand all the bashing.
Australia >> People hate on Melbourne residents and Tasmanians
Japan >> People make fun of Nagoya because there's nothing there, they think Kyotoites are snooty, urbanites look down on countryside dwellers and vice versa
Canada >> Obviously anglophones' opinions of Quebec aren't universally positive but the same can be said of the Quebecois' opinions themselves

Reactions: goldmom
Curious to get some opinions.....

I lived overseas for a number of years and have noticed one interesting thing since repatriating.

Why do so many Americans routinely take shots at so many other parts of the country? On one hand, Americans consistently boast their perceived status as the 'greatest country in the world' but then turn around and bash someone for being from Florida or Detroit or Arkansas or the East Coast or the West Coast, etc. etc. Obviously, the size of the country plays a factor but it's pretty bad.

I can honestly say I never once heard anyone in Australia, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Thailand and so many other places say anything negative about people in other parts of the country. In fact, people often spoke with great pride about different parts of the country. "You should really visit Chiang Mai. The festivals are amazing and the scenery is wonderful". "Definitely take time to visit Wakayama and Kobe while you're in Osaka. You'll really enjoy it and the food is terrific."

Visit America.......'What the hell are visiting Oklahoma for? There's nothing to see and people are backwards hillbillies". "Don't waste your time in California. It's way over-priced and the people are a-holes". Etc. Etc.

The only time I've noticed this abroad is the South Vietnamese talking about the North and the Canadians commenting on Quebec.

I don't know.....it just always gets my attention. I love America and the diversity of the place. An incredible country. Just don't understand all the bashing.
I heard a lot of that kind of thing travelling in Ireland. Culchies vs Jackeens/ West Brits of Dublin. Everyone's County is clearly superior to the other Counties. Fueled by GAA sports I suppose.

A perplexing trend emerges among Americans who proudly tout the nation's greatness while disparaging various regions within it, a phenomenon absent in many other countries, leaving a person puzzled by the widespread negativity despite America's diversity and greatness. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: goldmom
Our foreign exchange student would cry every single day and at the time I always wondered why.

Imagine being from Tokyo and you have to spend a whole year in population 1600 NW Iowa. I'd f*ckin cry too.
I used to work for a company that was a foreign exchange program placing high school kids with families. It was challenging sending Asian kids to America.

When they returned, they were always very nice and complementary so you really had to push them to get honest opinions.

The number one complaint was food…..followed by small towns. Ugh.

It’s amazing how many low income families in mid-America will take in a student just for the income. They do nothing to help the child and provide basically McDonalds and PB&j sandwiches for nutrition. Talk about culture shock.

You’ve got to get kids into a good situation so they will not only enjoy the experience but thrive and learn. They’re paying a lot for those programs.

I used to work for a company that was a foreign exchange program placing high school kids with families. It was challenging sending Asian kids to America.

When they returned, they were always very nice and complementary so you really had to push them to get honest opinions.

The number one complaint was food…..followed by small towns. Ugh.

It’s amazing how many low income families in mid-America will take in a student just for the income. They do nothing to help the child and provide basically McDonalds and PB&j sandwiches for nutrition. Talk about culture shock.

You’ve got to get kids into a good situation so they will not only enjoy the experience but thrive and learn. They’re paying a lot for those programs.
The family she stayed with hosted a student every year for a couple decades. I think they had a geniuine interest in the program and prob understood that these kids were having some major culture shock coming to small town Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT