ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Beverly (currently with the Bucks) talks about the WNBA hate for Caitlin

Love it. Thanks for the clip Fran!

I think this all boils down to OLDER women being jealous of another YOUNGER woman.

These old hags can't be happy about:

* The reports that Caitlin made over $3M this past year.
* CC broke a ton of records
* She sold out almost every arena she played in
* She is a 2x National Player of the Year.
* INDIANA FEVER tickets are selling like hot cakes

This make 0 sense.
Stewart would not have taken any team like iowa to a title. Womens college basketball has a few allstar teams competing with the rest have far far inferior talent. Winning a title when 90% of your roster is a mcdonalds all american should be expected. The fact she won 4 is nowhere near a stretch of the imagination.
And nowhere in my post did I mention Stewart's college career or compare it to Clark's

I'll say this about Breanna Stewart. She actually is a decent person, and I think the comment she gave about Clark needing a title was more of her getting caught in the moment with a microphone in her face.

Whether or not anyone thinks she's the greatest player in women's basketball history is definitely debatable. But she is probably the greatest winner in women's basketball history, given her list of accolades.

Joe Montana doesn't even rank in the top 15 in career passing yards, but he is widely regarded as one of the greatest winners in NFL history next to Tom Brady (and really 'Brady before Brady').

However, to yours and most others' point about the UConn teams Breanna Stewart played on in comparison to Iowa's:

(Obviously won national championship every year)

2012-2013: 35-4, actually finished 2nd in the Big East behind #2 Notre Dame, who was led by Skyler Diggins. They only lost to 2 teams that year (#1 Baylor and #2 Notre Dame x3). UConn would finally get their revenge though in the Final Four against the Irish, and then cruised to an easy title game win over Louisville, who had upset Baylor in the Sweet 16.

UConn had 2 seniors on that team, one of which was a 1st Rd pick in the WNBA draft.

**Fun side note- that Notre Dame team defeated Iowa in the 2nd Rd of the NCAA Tournament, in a game played in Iowa City, in front of a crowd of just under 4,800 people..................

2013-2014: 40-0, probably one of, if not the greatest women's teams of all-time. Swept AAC championships, rolled to their 2nd straight NCAA title and never won a game by LESS than 10 pts........

Their closest contest came in the middle of the season in a 66-55 win AT Baylor. They beat #2 Notre Dame by 19 in the Finals.

That was a massive blow to women's college basketball as a whole and set the game back years, because it was evident that it was UConn.........a few teams that earned the privilege of playing UConn in big games................and everybody else. It was bad.

Again, UConn had just two seniors on the team and both were 1st Rd draft picks in the WNBA.

2014-2015: 38-1, swept AAC championships again. Only loss came in second game of the season AT #6 Stanford, 88-86 in OT to snap their winning streak.
From there, though, they would go on to dominate everyone else, again not winning another game by LESS than 10 pts. They defeated #2 Notre Dame again in the Finals, 63-53.

**That Stanford team fizzled out and ended up a 4 seed in Iowa's region, losing to Notre Dame in the Sweet 16. Iowa, led by Samantha Logic, would lose the other Sweet 16 game against Baylor.

Once again, UConn had just two seniors, and both were selected in the 1st Rd of the WNBA draft, including Iowa native Kiah Stokes.

2015-2016: 38-0, swept AAC championships once again, only team to play them within 10 pts was then-#3 Notre Dame, 91-81. This was not quite as dominant, though, as their 40-0 season, as I would argue the competition was lacking more in this particular season, and it would be evident in the NCAA Tournament, as 3 other teams made their first-ever appearance in the Final Four to feed UConn easy wins en route to a 4th straight title.

All 3 other 1 seeds lost in or before the Elite 8 (Notre Dame to Stanford who lost to 7 seed Washington, Baylor lost to Oregon State, South Carolina lost to 4 seed Syracuse)

UConn's "end of an era" team had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd players taken in the WNBA Draft, including obviously Breanna Stewart at #1. It was the first and only time thus far that a college team has had the top 3 players taken in a major professional sports league draft.

So to recap, they had the following 1st Rd draft picks in Stewart's 4 seasons at UConn:

11th
6th, 7th
3rd, 11th
1st, 2nd, 3rd

That's 7 other 1st Rd draft picks that she played with in her 4 years at UConn, and that's not even counting the ones that would get drafted in the following years, who were a part of those 4 teams.

Caitlin Clark had Monika Czinano, who was a 3rd Rd pick, and potentially Hannah Stuelke (and maybe an outside shot at Kate Martin getting picked up).......................and that's it (not to take away from what the rest of those women did to help Iowa accomplish what they did)

Sorry for the TL;DR
I'd watch a 2013-2014 UConn team vs. a 2023-2024 South Carolina team game.

Getting drafted is one thing but how does Kate make the roster when there's only 144 total jobs in the WNBA?

12 roster spots x 12 teams = 144 jobs
I don't know that she'll make the roster, but I've seen several mocks that have her going to Indiana with Caitlin. They've done the same thing with each of their last two first round picks, picking another player from the same team to smooth the transition process. At least a couple of the insiders think she can get a roster spot at Indy for a year too, just based on her play this year and Indiana's weakness at the bottom of the roster.

I think this all boils down to OLDER women being jealous of another YOUNGER woman.

These old hags can't be happy about:

* The reports that Caitlin made over $3M this past year.
* CC broke a ton of records
* She sold out almost every arena she played in
* She is a 2x National Player of the Year.
* INDIANA FEVER tickets are selling like hot cakes

That does have to sting. Women like Diana Taurasi probably took 10 years to acquire $3 million.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT