ADVERTISEMENT

Penn PBP

They went out and got two AA transfers. Possibly have 2 more coming in next semester. They attempted to get Nagao and Truax and lost out to PSU. I’m not sure exactly when they knew Jeseroga was out for sure but it’s not like top 5 pfp 125 recruits grow on trees. I’m not sure how u expect them to replace that right away.

If you’re setting PSU recruiting as the standard then you’ll be upset for the foreseeable future. They are the hot hand. They have the best room, the best coaches, the best RTC, the most money. Iowa was set up 12 months ago to be a solid second and compete for titles.

I would like to see them get in the good graces at AWA however. They are churning out talent and Iowa is missing out.

At 133 I would think Ayala would be a candidate to move up and be solid. He’s tall and looks sucked. Could be the reasons for his lack of power and stamina.

PSU standard isn't even part of the discussion at this point, we are not in the same area code. Big name recruit after big name recruit commit places and it's far too often not Iowa and Iowa not even a legit consideration for most of them. Take away in state kids that have yet to produce much for them and it's slim pickens. National recruiting has been poor. We got Arnold and the youngest Ferrari but a high risk move sprung from desperation with the family helped that out with Ferrari. They have had years to find a follow up to ADS and with nothing to show for it and really they dropped the ball before Spencer got him to come as we were starting a walk on the season before at 133. There have been a number of 125 prospects available since Jesuroga and zippo. Who is our stud 141 next year? Block out hurt, can he even make 141? 149???? I don't see anything beyond possible future low AA on the team for 149. Franek is definitely not a sure fire AA and a 1 year patch. 197 has had little planning, hoping AJ gets out of legal trouble is not solid planning. Failed attempts to get transfers to cover poor recruiting in the first place is weak as an excuse. That's just the recruiting and nothing about the on the mat deficiencies that seem to be a constant problem like being bad in scrambles, terrible at finishing shots, lacking big move capability etc.

Reactions: drunkengoat
PSU standard isn't even part of the discussion at this point, we are not in the same area code. Big name recruit after big name recruit commit places and it's far too often not Iowa and Iowa not even a legit consideration for most of them. Take away in state kids that have yet to produce much for them and it's slim pickens. National recruiting has been poor. We got Arnold and the youngest Ferrari but a high risk move sprung from desperation with the family helped that out with Ferrari. They have had years to find a follow up to ADS and with nothing to show for it and really they dropped the ball before Spencer got him to come as we were starting a walk on the season before at 133. There have been a number of 125 prospects available since Jesuroga and zippo. Who is our stud 141 next year? Block out hurt, can he even make 141? 149???? I don't see anything beyond possible future low AA on the team for 149. Franek is definitely not a sure fire AA and a 1 year patch. 197 has had little planning, hoping AJ gets out of legal trouble is not solid planning. Failed attempts to get transfers to cover poor recruiting in the first place is weak as an excuse. That's just the recruiting and nothing about the on the mat deficiencies that seem to be a constant problem like being bad in scrambles, terrible at finishing shots, lacking big move capability etc.
Well losing 5 starters when you’re a pretty good bet for a second place finish after last season will make for desperation moves. And yes I think many on this board feel if we don’t have 3-4 top 20 recruits every year it’s a fail.

This years class would have had Jeseroga, block, Arnold, Kueter. Pretty good haul. Next year has Angelo.

I always thought Ayala would be a 133 as soon as this year.

I don’t disagree that I’d like things to be better. Just not as doom and gloom.

Reactions: Whytehawk
Iowa needs to recruit scramblers or hire a coach like Askren who can coach funk and technique. That is how we become more offensive. Pace and hand fighting are not going to get Iowa on top again.

If a probe like this went nationwide there would be a nationwide leadership failure.
Does that make it right. The rules are crystal clear and leadership needed to enforce and stress it. Guarentee its a non issue at psu cornell etc. this gambling bs is on leadership. I think i read nelson said he skipped meeting on gambling or something like that. Not sure if factual

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
More Askren Wrestling Academy, Blair Academy, Izzy Style ,and Wyoming Seminary kids, less Sebolt kids. We're not getting anyone away from M2.

Reactions: Hawkgma and MVPFAN
Does that make it right. The rules are crystal clear and leadership needed to enforce and stress it. Guarentee its a non issue at psu cornell etc. this gambling bs is on leadership. I think i read nelson said he skipped meeting on gambling or something like that. Not sure if factual
You guarantee it's not happening at those schools? I'd make the strong assumption that it definitely was.
Perhaps not now considering what we just went through, but I guarantee some student athletes on those rosters have bet on sports.

We can point the finger at the leadership for a majority of our issues, but sports gambling ain't one of them.

These have been hard rules for 50+ years, no one was oblivious to it.

Ultimately that falls on the athlete to not put themselves in those situations. No coach in the country can control their team 100% of the time, 24/7.

It's beyond absurd that you think otherwise.

I’m not excusing the athletes behavior. And I have no idea if it goes on there. But two schools were probed and they found violations. It would not be uncommon if every school was investigated. It’s just like PEDs. NCAA is turning a blind eye.

Askren asked his HS kids how many had gambling accounts….he said many hands went up.

Well losing 5 starters when you’re a pretty good bet for a second place finish after last season will make for desperation moves. And yes I think many on this board feel if we don’t have 3-4 top 20 recruits every year it’s a fail.

This years class would have had Jeseroga, block, Arnold, Kueter. Pretty good haul. Next year has Angelo.

I always thought Ayala would be a 133 as soon as this year.

I don’t disagree that I’d like things to be better. Just not as doom and gloom.

Iowa should be getting a top 10 overall pretty much every year and 2-3 top 20 overall should absolutely be attainable at a school with the tradition and resources Iowa has. I would be more lenient about having to scramble and make desperation moves due to the gambling if having to scramble had not already been a necessity before that. Strong recruiting requires an organized and detailed effort that includes going to events, networking with coaches and putting in the kind of one on one effort with the kids themselves that is needed these days. A couple phone calls on recruiting day isn't going to cut it. Besides Gabe what out of state big time recruits have we landed that we didn't have some kind of "in" on lately?

You guarantee it's not happening at those schools? I'd make the strong assumption that it definitely was.
Perhaps not now considering what we just went through, but I guarantee some student athletes on those rosters have bet on sports.

We can point the finger at the leadership for a majority of our issues, but sports gambling ain't one of them.

These have been hard rules for 50+ years, no one was oblivious to it.

Ultimately that falls on the athlete to not put themselves in those situations. No coach in the country can control their team 100% of the time, 24/7.

It's beyond absurd that you think otherwise.
Yes they can and do. Guarntee CS has a handle on it. Its certainly on athletes but when 4-6 got busted im guessing brands wasnt doing his job good enough to educate. And in his own family. My kid doesnt and never has gambled! Raised right!

We are better at 157 and 165 because of suspensions. If we put Arnold at 174, then it’s just 184 and Heavyweight adversely affected by suspensions, right? Obviously 2 important holes, but those holes don’t excuse lackluster performances at other weights. And, let’s be honest, we’d be even more pissed if Assad was wrestling because he’s be losing or barely winning.

What we have coming back next year, and with what we have coming in thus far, it’s going to be more of the same. I think fans understand the suspensions may have hurt the team this year. But the overall product likely isn’t changing next year, even with the possible addition of the Ferraris. We are still going to have holes that aren’t planned for, poor match strategy, and lack of offense for most of our guys. Yes, we might place top 3-5, but we won’t have many (if any) finalists, and I think everybody agrees we have zero shot of catching PSU next year or the next several years. We’ve had many years to try and the gap has widened.

TNT have many strengths and may be good coaches, but they aren’t aren’t catching PSU. Hoping, wishing, whatever, I think most can see that it’s not happening. Like the Iowa football offense—something has to change. Yes..we like our guys…Tom, Terry, Brian F…..but something has to change and they’ve all had plenty of chances to figure it out.
We just beat Penn State in 2021 and would have won the title in 2020 too… That was not that long ago. This current PSU team is very good but we will see what happens in the next few years.

Reactions: Whytehawk
Iowa should be getting a top 10 overall pretty much every year and 2-3 top 20 overall should absolutely be attainable at a school with the tradition and resources Iowa has. I would be more lenient about having to scramble and make desperation moves due to the gambling if having to scramble had not already been a necessity before that. Strong recruiting requires an organized and detailed effort that includes going to events, networking with coaches and putting in the kind of one on one effort with the kids themselves that is needed these days. A couple phone calls on recruiting day isn't going to cut it. Besides Gabe what out of state big time recruits have we landed that we didn't have some kind of "in" on lately?
Stop moving the goalposts. Jeseroga, Arnold, Kueter all top 10. Block just outside 20. Ferrari is 2.

I don’t know what they do with recruiting and I agree if they aren’t doing those things they should. You seem so have a dislike of this staff.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I’m not excusing the athletes behavior. And I have no idea if it goes on there. But two schools were probed and they found violations. It would not be uncommon if every school was investigated. It’s just like PEDs. NCAA is turning a blind eye.

Askren asked his HS kids how many had gambling accounts….he said many hands went up.

Stop moving the goalposts. Jeseroga, Arnold, Kueter all top 10. Block just outside 20. Ferrari is 2.

I don’t know what they do with recruiting and I agree if they aren’t doing those things they should. You seem so have a dislike of this staff.
I like staff as wrestlers and people. Just think time for refresh/reboot.

Reactions: drunkengoat
I wouldnt classify it as bad things. Coaches made decisions on Ferraris and lost chittum over it and some fan base. Then the gambling was a leadership shortfall.
Pretty sure the Ferrari thing was just an excuse for Chittum leaving. He wanted more $. One might say Brands should have directed more $ to Chittum, but I’m defending Brands on this one. I don’t think there was anything he could do. He got more $ from ISU.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Pretty sure the Ferrari thing was just an excuse for Chittum leaving. He wanted more $. One might say Brands should have directed more $ to Chittum, but I’m defending Brands on this one. I don’t think there was anything he could do. He got more $ from ISU.
Good point. Your probably right(no sarcasm)

They went out and got two AA transfers. Possibly have 2 more coming in next semester. They attempted to get Nagao and Truax and lost out to PSU.
Other than AJ, who is the other rumored AA transfer next semester? That would be great, but I haven’t heard of anybody else. And I get losing Nate J hurts, but who do we have that’s going to be good at that weight next year? Certainly could have found some good HS kid for this year to back up and one stud to come in next year.
If you’re setting PSU recruiting as the standard then you’ll be upset for the foreseeable future. They are the hot hand. They have the best room, the best coaches, the best RTC, the most money.
Why can’t we have the best room and best coaches?

I like staff as wrestlers and people. Just think time for refresh/reboot.
I’ll be excited when that time comes..

Names not Spencer Lee or former Hawks that I like. Because of what they’ve built or rejuvenated not that they would be candidates.

Pat Pop
Rob Kohl
Damian Hahn
Bryan Smith
Chris Pendleton
David Taylor

Reactions: MAGAman and MVPFAN
Yes they can and do. Guarntee CS has a handle on it. Its certainly on athletes but when 4-6 got busted im guessing brands wasnt doing his job good enough to educate. And in his own family. My kid doesnt and never has gambled! Raised right!
Your last sentence says it all. YOUR kid.

I'd blame the parents before blaming the coaches. So if you want to put Terry's feet to the fire, fine, but you shouldn't be crucifing the rest of the staff.

And you saying PSU has a handle on it so matter of factly is laughable. Even the great Cael can control that with 100% certainty.

I'm not moving anything. 3 in state kids, Jesuroga never even finished his senior year of highschool, Kueter is playing football and his future contributions are uncertain, Block is promising but not a can't miss and out hurt. The list of in state guys who have churned out high AA finishes for us recently is very short. 2017 with Clark, Gilman and Sorensen was the last. Ferrari is a different class and his brother coming here helped out there. The other issue besides recruiting is a poor record winning big individual matches. Losing in the finals, losing in high profile all start matches. When the national eyes are on us we don't win enough big matches.

Other than AJ, who is the other rumored AA transfer next semester? That would be great, but I haven’t heard of anybody else. And I get losing Nate J hurts, but who do we have that’s going to be good at that weight next year? Certainly could have found some good HS kid for this year to back up and one stud to come in next year.

Why can’t we have the best room and best coaches?
I meant we have two possible recruits next semester in the Ferraris x2 which are upgrades at 149 and 197.

I guess I don’t know how long it takes to get another solid 125 on board. They just didn’t get it taken care of in the 2023 or 24 class.

Im jot saying things can’t improve but fans should be realistic thinking the PSU train is running off the track anytime soon. They have a stacked deck currently that is hard to overcome. I’m sure super studs will take a little less to go there and train with the best.

Reactions: MVPFAN
As far as I'm concerned losing Chittum leaving was a blessing in disguise. The coaching staff decides who is on the team not other members of the team and certainly not parents. Especially when that guy has not even wrestled yet. Is Chittum talent yes but he in his family seem like a cancer to me.

I would like to see them get in the good graces at AWA however. They are churning out talent and Iowa is missing out.
Agree. How many D1 All Americans has Sebolt Academy had? I think the answer is zero, although I could be wrong.

Reactions: ff141
There is no way you can blame Brands for the gambling thing. Absolutely no way. The assertion that it is in any way Brands fault is wrong. I will defend Brands to the end on this. Kids on every team are gambling
100% agree. I would bet my left nut at least three guys that have all Americaned for PSU in the last three years have gambled.

I'm not moving anything. 3 in state kids, Jesuroga never even finished his senior year of highschool, Kueter is playing football and his future contributions are uncertain, Block is promising but not a can't miss and out hurt. The list of in state guys who have churned out high AA finishes for us recently is very short. 2017 with Clark, Gilman and Sorensen was the last. Ferrari is a different class and his brother coming here helped out there. The other issue besides recruiting is a poor record winning big individual matches. Losing in the finals, losing in high profile all start matches. When the national eyes are on us we don't win enough big matches.
Sure. First they can’t get top recruits now they have to be from out of state.

I agree they need top level national recruits but you also have to get top 10 guys when they’re in your back yard. Do you pass on Kueter? When Jeseroga is committed how long do you think it takes to get in on another comparable recruit. Who’d they whiff on to fill his void?

I don’t know is three top 20s attainable every year at Iowa? We don’t have the resources PSU has nor the room or staff.

We just beat Penn State in 2021 and would have won the title in 2020 too… That was not that long ago. This current PSU team is very good but we will see what happens in the next few years.
Yes, we did win. Once in last how many years? If gap wasn’t widening by far, I don’t think we’d be as concerned. We’ve been hearing for years…wait until Ruth et al are gone, Wait until Taylor gone, wait until Mark Hall gone, Wait until Starocci gone.

So I say let’s not see what happens the next few years. We are going to see continued dominance, champs, AA by Penn State. There is nothing to make me think something is going to change. It’s foolish to expect different results,

Reactions: Bones Malone
There is no way you can blame Brands for the gambling thing. Absolutely no way. The assertion that it is in any way Brands fault is wrong. I will defend Brands to the end on this. Kids on every team are gambling

Well I think that the brothers Brands bear some blame for allowing Nelson to skip his gambling compliance training.

Well I think that the brothers Brands bear some blame for allowing Nelson to skip his gambling compliance training.
Okay so they shoulder 1% of the blame.
The fact that Nelson knew he skipped it tells me he knew gambling was wrong.

They don't have gambling compliance training if it's allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT