ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St Match Thread

Now I know why Gilman fits in so well in State College. Most places when a guy comes in with a strong history of success the fans show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo a national champ prior to a match. I've heard it when a guy show boats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, most arenas the fans are awesome

If that national champ was a PSU guy--consider the source:) I was sitting by a referee, and he said those calls might not have been called in a high school match--no way in College. The bar that was being run after the first tilt would have been a fall and the referee stopped it. That was a terrible call. Totally bogus and homer feeling.... The referee was the most biased I have seen in my 10-years of following college wrestling. I've seen bad calls, I've watched Angel be terrible time and time again, but never before did I believe an official had an active bias as strong as the one on Friday night displayed. If a guy is bad, but bad both ways, okay. This guy had an intent, and it was obvious. Cael was so sad in the corner whining the entire two minutes. Thats illegal, that's illegal... I hope his voice is okay as much as he was crying in the corner--if you can't stop something, don't take the approach of coaching the guys up--change the rules, buy an official ....
100%, he wasn't a bad ref, he was a biased ref. And he was brash enough to not even try to hide it. He was NOT going to let Spencer get that pin. I'm okay with 90% of the stall calls against Iowa, but none against Bartlett? Not even a token stall against Haines or Starocci or Kerk? I haven't seen anything like that before.

100%, he wasn't a bad ref, he was a biased ref. And he was brash enough to not even try to hide it. He was NOT going to let Spencer get that pin. I'm okay with 90% of the stall calls against Iowa, but none against Bartlett? Not even a token stall against Haines or Starocci or Kerk? I haven't seen anything like that before.

I would have been very frustrated as an iowa fan seeing Spencer called for PD when looking for his usual moves.

Ultimately none of the reffing issues impacted the outcome of the dual, but there were a few head scratchers.

Reactions: depelland
You’re a strange one talking about me being a girl. Are you hoping I’m a girl, weirdo? You must be a Megan’s law offender.
I mean, you keep calling people bitches which seems kinda teenage girl angsty. If the impression you have projected is incorrect, my sincere apologies.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Now I know why Gilman fits in so well in State College. Most places when a guy comes in with a strong history of success the fans show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo a national champ prior to a match. I've heard it when a guy show boats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, most arenas the fans are awesome

If that national champ was a PSU guy--consider the source:) I was sitting by a referee, and he said those calls might not have been called in a high school match--no way in College. The bar that was being run after the first tilt would have been a fall and the referee stopped it. That was a terrible call. Totally bogus and homer feeling.... The referee was the most biased I have seen in my 10-years of following college wrestling. I've seen bad calls, I've watched Angel be terrible time and time again, but never before did I believe an official had an active bias as strong as the one on Friday night displayed. If a guy is bad, but bad both ways, okay. This guy had an intent, and it was obvious. Cael was so sad in the corner whining the entire two minutes. Thats illegal, that's illegal... I hope his voice is okay as much as he was crying in the corner--if you can't stop something, don't take the approach of coaching the guys up--change the rules, buy an official ....
I agree with you 100%. Can you image a HOME GROWN wrestler of Lee's caliber being booed!??!? It is not only how good he is either. It is also about who he is, what he has given, the adversity he has conquered, and the class he has shown!!!!

I will say it once again. I do not understand the state of PA? No doubt the finest HS wrestling in the country. Maybe a majority of the true wrestling fans from PA don't like F*** st either? Certainly 15K hardcore wrestling fans were not in that building, because they would not be booing SL!

Also I said it right away as soon as it happened live in the match. It was very obvious what the plan was from the great conniving sneeky SOB fale. Something had to have been said to that POS ref prior too. I have seen Lee's bar arms, and yes he and just about everyone else runs it into a wing where the hand goes up past 90.

It is almost impossible not to run it that way honestly as it is the natural movement. When Lee has gotten stopped in the past, it was when his hand was really heading up toward the shoulder. Sometimes you may still be shaking your head, but you can somewhat understand the Refs position on trying to protect the poor kid getting killed!

With that being said, I went back and re-watched the match. I don't even think a HS Ref would have stopped it either time honestly! I also agree he was bias and it does appear that is the case in happy F*** st land all the time. No one is talking about how Woods took I thing 5 shots to zero in his match and NO stall calls made. How about The Ketchup kid FLEEing the mat!?!?!?

Like you said, bad is one thing but clearly favoring one team is another? Not sure how the Refs are chosen for each dual? Clearly though, all other teams should make it a point that "outside" officials need to be brought in!

I would have been very frustrated as an iowa fan seeing Spencer called for PD when looking for his usual moves.

Ultimately none of the reffing issues impacted the outcome of the dual, but there were a few head scratchers.
Agree that the no calls didn't impact the outcome of the dual, but at 174 no stall call at the end when he was fleeing the mat... Again, wouldn't have changed the outcome, but he was not going to call PSU for stalling and he didn't the entire evening. I hope the coaches have a mechanism to file a complaint and have the dual reviewed. That guy should not be at Big 10's or nationals. Maybe the State College Little Lions Youth tournament would be a better fit. He could stay at Cael's house to save hotel expenses.

Last edited:
This dual absolutely wasn't a great showing for either team. Iowa won 4 matches, but nothing past 165. 2 takedowns is not a good night, even with 4 wins. PSU doesn't have much to be excited about either though. 5 weights with no takedowns (should have been 6 with 125) and 2 more with only 1 takedown isn't exactly lighting the wrestling world on fire. 133, 174, 184, 197, and 285 are very good, but trying to win 1 takedown matches consistently is a good way to get upset. Their hammers are no where near as dominant as the Nolf, Nickal, Ruth, and Zain days. PSU is the clear favorite this year, but they are 1 injury away from anyones game in March.
Yea, except for the 5 national champion last year they have no hammers? Come on man!

• Haha
Reactions: GlenHawk
Yea, except for the 5 national champion last year they have no hammers? Come on man!
Apparently your definition of a wrestling hammer is very different. Brooks certainly is (along the tradition of Nolf, Retherford, Nickal, Nick Lee). However, Starocci, Dean, Kerkvliet and even Bravo-Young are NOT hammers. Yes they win most of the time, but being a hammer is the style of wrestling that is employed, dominating and enforcing your will on your opponent.

Apparently your definition of a wrestling hammer is very different. Brooks certainly is (along the tradition of Nolf, Retherford, Nickal, Nick Lee). However, Starocci, Dean, Kerkvliet and even Bravo-Young are NOT hammers. Yes they win most of the time, but being a hammer is the style of wrestling that is employed, dominating and enforcing your will on your opponent.

You are 100% correct. The guys you mentioned are not hammers at all.

They are more like screwdrivers. They dismantle their opponents one step at a time and take them apart until they’re lying on the ground in pieces.

(inb4 any low hanging fruit “you’re a tool” quips)

Reactions: Petch and PSUer1989
I mean, you keep calling people bitches which seems kinda teenage girl angsty. If the impression you have projected is incorrect, my sincere apologies.
One person. My apologies if you can’t figure it out why I’ve said it. Ignorance truly is bliss. You spend a lot of time over here policing the psu slants. It must be a real shocker to you that on this board it happens in the first place. Don’t you have your wife’s spitter to empty or something? Talk about me being a female yet here you are on an Iowa board trying to push back Iowa fans and their fanaticism about Iowa wrestlers. And all of this while defending psu or anyone or anything not Iowa? Sounds like a sad existence and futile fight but you do your best to convince hawk fans that Spencer isn’t that good and that psu fans, coaches and wrestlers are great etc. Bitch.

One person. My apologies if you can’t figure it out why I’ve said it. Ignorance truly is bliss. You spend a lot of time over here policing the psu slants. It must be a real shocker to you that on this board it happens in the first place. Don’t you have your wife’s spitter to empty or something? Talk about me being a female yet here you are on an Iowa board trying to push back Iowa fans and their fanaticism about Iowa wrestlers. And all of this while defending psu or anyone or anything not Iowa? Sounds like a sad existence and futile fight but you do your best to convince hawk fans that Spencer isn’t that good and that psu fans, coaches and wrestlers are great etc. Bitch.

tl;dr

You are 100% correct. The guys you mentioned are not hammers at all.

They are more like screwdrivers. They dismantle their opponents one step at a time and take them apart until they’re lying on the ground in pieces.

(inb4 any low hanging fruit “you’re a tool” quips)
Interesting way to describe it, but I definitely don't agree. Do they "game plan" in the big matches, yes, and they do it well. But I've never seen them dismantle and take apart highly ranked opponents. Guess it depends, again, on how you define those words. ;)

Interesting way to describe it, but I definitely don't agree. Do they "game plan" in the big matches, yes, and they do it well. But I've never seen them dismantle and take apart highly ranked opponents. Guess it depends, again, on how you define those words. ;)
What do you mean? You must’ve missed how rby picked apart ragusin. Stallrocci did the same to Lewis and brands. Riveting 2 and 1 point wins. Absolute hammers this year.

No shit Sherlock. Is that what we were discussing? They’re boring wrestlers.
Don't necessarily agree that they're all boring wrestlers. RBY is definitely boring... dance, counter, happy to win 3-1 no matter who it's against. I was surprised that Brooks could only get one turn on our backup 165 pounder, and that Starr did hardly anything against a banged up Nelson.

I would rather have 5 NCAA champs win by one point each than one champ tech fall everyone. It works well for us if we keep fading our five to your one- deal?
And in 2021 you claimed all were happy not to win the team title in exchange for the Sat night wins. All about moving the goalposts as necessary, even if it means throwing in the towel in 2015 and 2020. Got lucky in 2020 your 4th place B1G finish was essentially erased from everyone’s memories.

They only have 4 champs returning and I didn't say they aren't hammers. Brooks and RBY are pretty much a sure thing. Carter is a favorite. but not a sure thing. Dean and Kerk are not sure fire champs by any means. Not as dominant as past hammers is what I said and it really isn't close.
I would rather have 5 NCAA champs win by one point each than one champ tech fall everyone. It works well for us if we keep fading our five to your one- deal?
Who are your 5 champs? I only count 4.

Wow what a pathetic mindset
I made the prediction the last time Cass beat him. So far it's holding true. It would give me tremendous pleasure for Cass to throttle him.

NEVER? You write that as if it's 100% certain. Apparently you haven't watched much wrestling over the years.
100% certain? Obviously, only God knows, so it's only a prediction. And I wouldn't be saying I wanted Cass to try harder to go upper body if I didn't think there was a chance. Right?

And, btw, I've been to the last 27 NCAAs, even being one of the handful of people allowed to attend 2021. I watched the match and firmly believe he could have tried upper body more than he did.

They only have 4 champs returning and I didn't say they aren't hammers. Brooks and RBY are pretty much a sure thing. Carter is a favorite. but not a sure thing. Dean and Kerk are not sure fire champs by any means. Not as dominant as past hammers is what I said and it really isn't close.

Who are your 5 champs? I only count 4.
Your right it's only 4 ,penn st has so many its hard to count sometimes, it's easy for use guys you start and stop at 1.

Reactions: Vic Vaselino
I've only been to 14 NCAAs (during the past 31 years) so there's no way I compare with you! :rolleyes:
Oh, that definitely compares. I've been to 29 during the past 43 years, if not were not counting in a row. I so wish I had the means to do so more when I was younger.

Reactions: therod
Don't necessarily agree that they're all boring wrestlers. RBY is definitely boring... dance, counter, happy to win 3-1 no matter who it's against. I was surprised that Brooks could only get one turn on our backup 165 pounder, and that Starr did hardly anything against a banged up Nelson.
3/4 are boring. Stall, ribeye and maxed out do the bare min against anyone with a pulse. Nelson brands is not a super stud, ragusin is not a super stud, 90% of 197 are not even studs. Brooks wrestles like a beast. The others you couldn’t pay me to go watch. Their resumes are exceptional but I don’t think their talent matches their output. Good for them for exposing the system but if I didn’t know who any of them were and I watched them wrestle those matches and you said they were champs 1x, 2x, 2x I would laugh and call you a liar. At least one or two of them are going down this year. I know history says I’m wrong but we get to find out.

I know this is way late and irrelevant that this point but I just watched the match and I have BB with 5 shots to 4 for Woods. Go count.
Hahaha. Now let me put some context to this.

1st period (3 mins.) = ZERO shots by Bartlett
2nd period (2 mins.) = ZERO shots by Bartlett
3rd period = FINALLY, with 1:44 left in the match, Bartlett takes his first shot. He attempts another at :58, at :21, and :02. The last two were desperation shots, so I don't count those as pertinent to the discussion.
So...it took Bartlett 5:16 to take his first shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT