ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs psu

Cael. I don't think champs produced before either Brands' or Cael's tenure are relevant. Cael has Varner and Taylor. Terry has Cejudo.

"PSU doesn't produce world champs" is an all-time self-own when they have more than Iowa under the current regimes.

Tom coached Bill Zadick. So it's two golds apiece.

And, Cael has coached five world team members - Varner,(silver & gold) Ruth, Molinaro, Zain, and Taylor (gold).

But the Brands have eight - Mike Zadick (silver), Bill Zadick (gold), Henry Cejudo (gold), Schwab, Ramos, Dennis, Gilman (silver), and Metcalf.

You shouldn't be so ashamed of your team. Stepping on rakes and all.

Half/ more of that came from other programs!!! Not penn st.
My point was never about what room a wrestler came from. Check the title of the thread... “Recruiting vs PSU.” My point is if you’re a kid that has been told all his life he could be a champion, he wants to go where the champions are. That’s current PSU, regardless of weight.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
It’s well documented that every wrestler in the PSU room gets “something.” Even the 4th string practice partner gets something. It’s also well documented that there are no full rides in the PSU room. Bo Nickal didn’t get anywhere near a full ride. Most kids are willing to spend $10-$20k over fours years (in the form of accepting less scholarship money) to become a national champion and/or world champion.
You're probably right but you forgot to mention that all their athletes can work at the NLWC for one summer and make enough to pay off all their student loans. Just one way to beat the system. Will someday make great politicians...

You really have no idea what’s currently in State College, do you? Here’s a quick medal count when a potential recruit walks into the Penn State practice room. I might have missed a few, so I apologize in advance...

29 NCAA Gold medals
4 Olympic Gold
1 Olympic Silver
5 World Gold
4 World Silver
5 World Bronze

Does that qualify as a list?
My challenge to you... give me the list of what’s currently in the Hawkeye room when a recruit walks in? “Hey look! There’s Spencer! And over there is... umm... hey did I mention Spencer?”
So... 3 NCAA Gold medals?

Edit: I forgot about the Brands Bros medals. So I looking at another 5 freestyle medals and 4 NCAA Golds? My bad.

The question I was responding to asked for a list of Penn state wrestlers that are world/Olympic champs. Once again, the list is David Taylor. If you'd like to address another Penn State wrestling metric - fine. But don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about. David Taylor is the only Penn State world champ - period. That's a fact.

My point was never about what room a wrestler came from. Check the title of the thread... “Recruiting vs PSU.” My point is if you’re a kid that has been told all his life he could be a champion, he wants to go where the champions are. That’s current PSU, regardless of weight.

Huh.... I could have sworn that the Hawkeyes were the current champions.:cool:
I have to be honest. PA makes no sense to me. How/why their HS Wrestling is so great is a bit of a mystery. 1st off, you do not seem to have the right kind of people in the state. 2nd, their knowledge and understanding of the sport just seems to be very low as a whole.

Maybe it is just to much of a sample out of the fools who come on here? The state though, just seems to be overrun with corruption, and those living a lie!

I mean they just keep saying the same stupid crap!!!! IOWA was on a 3 year run before the f*** dodge ball bael teams run. Why weren't ALL the recruits beating down our door? If you look back at history. you can see many teams that went on a run, but never a line of top talent coming in like we are seeing at happy place. We are on another run now. 2 years of domination, and will be ranked #1. When should we expect ALL the top talent to come?

More than likely, it had to do with common sense. Top recruits and all others look for the best opportunity and offer.

The team
The coaches
The School
Cost
etc, all play a role.

Obviously if one school can offer more then all others, the field tilts in that direction. 660K "camp expenses" seems to indicate that is certainly what is taking place, because you would think that part of the reason to run camps is to MAKE $$$$$. Why anyone would run camps and have to dip into their slush fund for $660,000, just does not seem to make much sense? What happened to all the money they took in on top of this amount that they took out?

So once again, PA/F*** state wanna be wrestling fans etc.... Just be honest and say. The great saelsman, found a way to beat the system. So far, no one has said what is going on is illegal.

As far as champions. Someone posted they, the bad guys, had 10 age group national or world champions in just the last handful of years. Not sure how many they have had in the kael era? Lets just say 15? Now out of that, how many went on to win world/olympic titles again? Not too sure that if I "wanted to win" that these numbers and odds make me say. "Yep, i'll give up $100,000s to play dodge ball with you!?!?!?

Cael. I don't think champs produced before either Brands' or Cael's tenure are relevant. Cael has Varner and Taylor. Terry has Cejudo.

"PSU doesn't produce world champs" is an all-time self-own when they have more than Iowa under the current regimes.
Listen buddy, you're going down in flames, the psu dude said they commit to PSU for less money to become National and world champs.
Since he made the claim that psu wrestlers become world champs, pointing out their lack of world Champs plural isn't a self own or even a comparison. I can't believe I actually had to explain that....

Last edited:
You really have no idea what’s currently in State College, do you? Here’s a quick medal count when a potential recruit walks into the Penn State practice room. I might have missed a few, so I apologize in advance...

29 NCAA Gold medals
4 Olympic Gold
1 Olympic Silver
5 World Gold
4 World Silver
5 World Bronze

Does that qualify as a list?
My challenge to you... give me the list of what’s currently in the Hawkeye room when a recruit walks in? “Hey look! There’s Spencer! And over there is... umm... hey did I mention Spencer?”
So... 3 NCAA Gold medals?

Edit: I forgot about the Brands Bros medals. So I looking at another 5 freestyle medals and 4 NCAA Golds? My bad.
Lol, PSU people always are off by a year (when saying Beard graduated in 2019) or short T&T saying they won 4 NCAA titles between them. Tom 3, Terry 2. 3+2 =4. Lol, it ruins your credibility when you all err to your benefit. If they're honest mistakes we would see examples both benefitting and hurting your point. That isn't the case.

Also,included in your HUGE list wouldn't be you taking credit for Gomez (Michigan & Puerto Rico), Jaime Espinal (Olympic silver BEFORE the NLWC & Jack since for a decade) Bekzod (Clarion college, 2 world bronzes again BEFORE joining NLWC) is now an MMA fighter, or Thomas Gilman's silver, Snyder's hardware etc. Again, it shows u have a lot of money, but let's keep it real David Taylor's the only athlete PsU developed.

660K "camp expenses" seems to indicate that is certainly what is taking place, because you would think that part of the reason to run camps is to MAKE $$$$$. Why anyone would run camps and have to dip into their slush fund for $660,000, just does not seem to make much sense?

Because it is a non-profit charitable organization. That means it can't be profit driven. Hosting camps is consistent with the mission.

What would you propose such an organization do with its financial resources?

Lol, PSU people always are off by a year (when saying Beard graduated in 2019) or short T&T saying they won 4 NCAA titles between them. Tom 3, Terry 2. 3+2 =4. Lol, it ruins your credibility when you all err to your benefit. If they're honest mistakes we would see examples both benefitting and hurting your point. That isn't the case.

Also,included in your HUGE list wouldn't be you taking credit for Gomez (Michigan & Puerto Rico), Jaime Espinal (Olympic silver BEFORE the NLWC & Jack since for a decade) Bekzod (Clarion college, 2 world bronzes again BEFORE joining NLWC) is now an MMA fighter, or Thomas Gilman's silver, Snyder's hardware etc. Again, it shows u have a lot of money, but let's keep it real David Taylor's the only athlete PsU developed.

There have been 7 US Freestyle wrestlers in the last 10 years who have become world champions / Olympic gold medalists. Cael Sanderson, PSU's head coach, can claim full credit for developing two out of seven of these individuals. Three out of seven of these individuals currently are wrestling in the PSU room. Three out of six of the US Olympic Freestyle Wrestling Team are currently in the PSU room.

For wrestlers that are seeking to become world champions, the foregoing credentials are not matched anywhere and are incredible recruiting tools. Arguing that Jake Varner shouldn't count because Jake Varner wrestled for Iowa State is not a strong argument because Cael was his coach and Jake Varner followed Cael to PSU. Obviously, Cael cannot take any credit for Snyder's past success but his presence in the room is a great recruiting tool (see Kerk).

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Listen buddy, you're going down in flames, the psu dude said they commit to PSU for less money to become National and world champs.
Since he made the claim that psu wrestlers become world champs, pointing out their lack of world Champs plural isn't a self own or even a comparison. I can't believe I actually had to explain that....
Listen buddy, recruits probably do go there for less (just like they do for Iowa) with the idea that it's their best shot to become a world champ.

You act like developing 2 world champs is a low number. It's the best in the country. Now they've added a 3rd to room along with a few world medalists. They also used to have an Olympic champ from Japan in the room. They have two Olympic champs on their coaching staff.

If your number 1 goal is to be a world champ, the school/coaching staff that has produced the most of them would be appealing. I can't believe I actually had to explain that....

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Listen buddy, recruits probably do go there for less (just like they do for Iowa) with the idea that it's their best shot to become a world champ.

You act like developing 2 world champs is a low number. It's the best in the country. Now they've added a 3rd to room along with a few world medalists. They also used to have an Olympic champ from Japan in the room. They have two Olympic champs on their coaching staff.

If your number 1 goal is to be a world champ, the school/coaching staff that has produced the most of them would be appealing. I can't believe I actually had to explain that....

Actually, Ohio State has better numbers than PSU - Kyle Snyder (2 world titles; one Olympic Gold) and Logan Stieber (world champ).

And, as I stated before, the Brands have developed two.

BTW, nobody has developed more at a school than Kyle Dake. He is very near the best wrestler in the world. I'd assume many top recruits are looking hard at Cornell.

Your Penn State bias is a little over the top.

Last edited:
Actually, Ohio State has better numbers than PSU - Kyle Snyder (2 world titles; one Olympic Gold) and Logan Stieber (world champ).

And, as I stated before the Brands have developed two.

BTW, nobody has developed more at a school than Kyle Dake. He is very near the best wrestler in the world. I'd assume many top recruits are looking hard at Cornell.

Your Penn State bias is a little over the top.
I'm going on number of champs, not championships. How many guys could you take to that level? tOSU and PSU both have 2. If we're going on number of titles, it's actually Nebraska, but they're all from one guy. I give the tie break to PSU because Stieber's was in the weird non-olympic championships in 2016 and was never able to medal again. Either way, they still have the most champs at 2.

As to your claim about Dake, he did come a long way, but Burroughs probably developed the most. 1x state champ, .500 type guy as a freshman to the P4P king of the world in his prime. Dake came in and won a title after a few months in the Cornell room. He was quite a bit ahead of Burroughs as a true freshman.

I don't have PSU bias. I root against them every time they step on the mat. It doesn't change the fact they've dominated the last 10 years and it doesn't make me love the hawks any less to acknowledge that. I'm not a fair weather fan. I don't have to lie to myself about rivals to maintain my support for my team.

Iowa has a chance to turn the tide in the next few years. They need to win again next year and preferably with at least one upper weight champ. They also just need individual champs in general. Since this thread is about recruiting, nothing is more important than individual champs. Recruiting is probably 75% of the battle and the top kids don't dream of taking 3rd. They dream of titles. PSU has clearly shown themselves to be the best place to do that and it's not close. As long as they keep doing so, they're going to keep dominating recruiting which will make it an uphill battle. It's amazing Brands has been as competitive as he has. A testament to his coaching ability.

I have to be honest. PA makes no sense to me. How/why their HS Wrestling is so great is a bit of a mystery. 1st off, you do not seem to have the right kind of people in the state. 2nd, their knowledge and understanding of the sport just seems to be very low as a whole.

Maybe it is just to much of a sample out of the fools who come on here? The state though, just seems to be overrun with corruption, and those living a lie!

I mean they just keep saying the same stupid crap!!!! IOWA was on a 3 year run before the f*** dodge ball bael teams run. Why weren't ALL the recruits beating down our door? If you look back at history. you can see many teams that went on a run, but never a line of top talent coming in like we are seeing at happy place. We are on another run now. 2 years of domination, and will be ranked #1. When should we expect ALL the top talent to come?

More than likely, it had to do with common sense. Top recruits and all others look for the best opportunity and offer.

The team
The coaches
The School
Cost
etc, all play a role.

Obviously if one school can offer more then all others, the field tilts in that direction. 660K "camp expenses" seems to indicate that is certainly what is taking place, because you would think that part of the reason to run camps is to MAKE $$$$$. Why anyone would run camps and have to dip into their slush fund for $660,000, just does not seem to make much sense? What happened to all the money they took in on top of this amount that they took out?

So once again, PA/F*** state wanna be wrestling fans etc.... Just be honest and say. The great saelsman, found a way to beat the system. So far, no one has said what is going on is illegal.

As far as champions. Someone posted they, the bad guys, had 10 age group national or world champions in just the last handful of years. Not sure how many they have had in the kael era? Lets just say 15? Now out of that, how many went on to win world/olympic titles again? Not too sure that if I "wanted to win" that these numbers and odds make me say. "Yep, i'll give up $100,000s to play dodge ball with you!?!?!?
Lots of words for a post that doesn't have a coherent point anywhere in it

The team
The coaches
The School
Cost
etc, all play a role.

What on earth does this mean?

What on earth does this mean?
Look at all the things that make up great wrestlers. Things like Sportsmanship, honor, courage, discipline, which all goes hand in hand with morals and values. Then look at the turds you have posting here!!!! As I have said, it is a very tiny sample, but these are suppose to be Wrestling fans, wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, etc......

Stay the hell on your own crappy board!!! OR come here to read, spread good info, and maybe learn about the sport.

Reactions: innercircle287
Look at all the things that make up great wrestlers. Things like Sportsmanship, honor, courage, discipline, which all goes hand in hand with morals and values. Then look at the turds you have posting here!!!! As I have said, it is a very tiny sample, but these are suppose to be Wrestling fans, wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, etc......

Stay the hell on your own crappy board!!! OR come here to read, spread good info, and maybe learn about the sport.
Have you ever left your hometown?

Look... I stated in a previous post... my original point was NOT who gets credit for what medals. You got me there. All you said is 100% accurate. This is is a thread about recruiting “Recruiting vs PSU.” My point, again, is that when PSU is recruiting, be it a HS kid or a freestyle world champ, all they need to do is open the doors at the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex and let them take a peek inside at a practice. There are medals filling the room everywhere you look. My point, again, is that’s what Iowa and others are recruiting against. The HWC currently has memories filling their room. The Ohio RTC currently has one world medalist, who is on their roster in name only.
And yes... I did shortchange TNT on their medals. I was exhausted researching all those medals in the NLWC room and was going strictly by memory.

I'm thrilled you believe PSU has the best room in the country. I don't doubt it's a draw for recruits. They typically recruit 20 top 10 recruits a year but again you either didn't read the entire thread or assumed it was a pissing match about who had more world champs in which case I'd agree with your take. The point is psuman brought it on himself by misquoted stats. That is the crux of the argument and why you caught my ire. Harsh maybe but I was pissed.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
There have been 7 US Freestyle wrestlers in the last 10 years who have become world champions / Olympic gold medalists. Cael Sanderson, PSU's head coach, can claim full credit for developing two out of seven of these individuals. Three out of seven of these individuals currently are wrestling in the PSU room. Three out of six of the US Olympic Freestyle Wrestling Team are currently in the PSU room.

For wrestlers that are seeking to become world champions, the foregoing credentials are not matched anywhere and are incredible recruiting tools. Arguing that Jake Varner shouldn't count because Jake Varner wrestled for Iowa State is not a strong argument because Cael was his coach and Jake Varner followed Cael to PSU. Obviously, Cael cannot take any credit for Snyder's past success but his presence in the room is a great recruiting tool (see Kerk).
I concur, but your colleague was leading the reader to in inaccurate conclusion and I'll jump on that correction all day.. This should have been the argument in the first place.

And the room also has:
606b932fa1c80.image.jpg

Reactions: tabenn and wasdt21
#7 seed is legit title contender.
He certainly wasn't a scrub, but he also wasn't a legit title contender while at Drexel.
If you can't acknowledge that he's progressed then you need a brain transplant.
To be honest, he has progressed about as much as someone might have predicted, given his pedigree. It’s not like coming to Iowa has suddenly made him elite. He was the 6 seed heading into nationals last year. The 4 seed this year. Not much better than what he did at Drexel, all things considered.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN

To be honest, he has progressed about as much as someone might have predicted, given his pedigree. It’s not like coming to Iowa has suddenly made him elite. He was the 6 seed heading into nationals last year. The 4 seed this year. Not much better than what he did at Drexel, all things considered.
You're telling me while he was at Drexel you thought he'd be a legit finals contender and would be ranked #1 at some point in his career?

Damn dude. You're something special. Maybe you should take over Willie's crystal ball.

And he made it to R12 in 2018.
Simply a natural progression doesn't get you to 3rd, especially against that field.

Reactions: OKCRockHawk
You're telling me while he was at Drexel you thought he'd be a legit finals contender and would be ranked #1 at some point in his career?

Damn dude. You're something special. Maybe you should take over Willie's crystal ball.

And he made it to R12 in 2018.
Simply a natural progression doesn't get you to 3rd, especially against that field.
Well he’s a PSU fan so being ranked #1 after Gulibon was.....................nevermind it’s not worth explaining how Gray’s mind works.

Of course he progressed. You're brain dead if you don't recognize he was a high end transfer.
Classic case of you all are right. Except gray, he’s all the way wrong, all the time. Haha. Desanto should’ve AA’d at drexel but as it is, he didn’t. He has improved his placement every year. He was a highly sought after transfer and he has shown why. He wasn’t the number one or two p4p type of transfer...or 3rd at NCAA’s or a finalist for that matter...but in all seriousness, the guy downplaying it will say desanto was a 1x state champ and rd of 12 before Iowa and the guy overstating it will say he beat Spencer Lee to win that state title and was a hiccup away from AA’ing as a true frosh and should’ve received a full ride for his transfer. In reality, he was somewhere in between. His upside was huge and his gas tank even bigger. He has exceeded my expectations since coming to Iowa. He has beaten at least 3 ncaa champs and just took 3rd. That’s pretty good considering...

Classic case of you all are right. Except gray, he’s all the way wrong, all the time. Haha. Desanto should’ve AA’d at drexel but as it is, he didn’t. He has improved his placement every year. He was a highly sought after transfer and he has shown why. He wasn’t the number one or two p4p type of transfer...or 3rd at NCAA’s or a finalist for that matter...but in all seriousness, the guy downplaying it will say desanto was a 1x state champ and rd of 12 before Iowa and the guy overstating it will say he beat Spencer Lee to win that state title and was a hiccup away from AA’ing as a true frosh and should’ve received a full ride for his transfer. In reality, he was somewhere in between. His upside was huge and his gas tank even bigger. He has exceeded my expectations since coming to Iowa. He has beaten at least 3 ncaa champs and just took 3rd. That’s pretty good considering...
That's a realistic interpretation. F#$ it pains me to compliment someone who's named iowabandwagon.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
Yah, #7 seed as a true freshman. DeSanto was a scrub before he transfered to Iowa.
That high seed was due to him beating an injured micic his freshman year. Micic smoked him when he was healthy, but anyone who's trying to imply he hasn't developed at Iowa is either a moron or a psu homer who can't cope with the simple truth that Iowa has been good for him. In your defense though I think you're just a moron.

Last edited:

Like I told your esteemed colleague (still can't believe you guys get off getting into pissing matches on HR but some people have a pathetic gene I hear) his #7 seed was due to beating an injured micic.

That high seed was due to him beating an injured micic his freshman year. Micic smoked him when he was healthy, but anyone who's trying to imply he hasn't developed at Iowa is either a moron or a psu homer who can't cope with the simple truth that Iowa has been good for him. In your defense though I think you're just a moron.

Dumbass, can't even spell moran correctly.
morans.jpg

Reactions: pml_dad and Gray52

Although I don't really believe this, you do realize this dumbass observation could also apply to nearly ever Penn State wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT