ADVERTISEMENT

Scherff 23 reps

Bench press is overrated. There's better lifts that are much more explosive using the majority of your body.

yeah not sure why they still do bench press? It seems like so many of the things they do at the combine provide little actual value for evaluating recruits

I believe the NFL uses the bench more as a indication of who the workout warriors are. I think the Incline press would be a much better indicator of strength that would carry to the field.

While I agree there may be other measurements of strength that would prove to be as valuable or even more valuable, the bench press is still used as a measurement of overall strength. Donnal finished tied for dead last among OL at 17 and Scherff's 23 was below average. Upper body strength is important and cannot simply be discounted because Iowa players do not excel at it. Maybe Mr. Doyle needs to put more emphasis in this area, because we most certainly are not the bullies of the Big Ten anymore when it comes to dominating the line of scrimmage.

From an Iowa perspective including one of the best in the NFL - he did very well:

Gettis: 20
Reiff: 26
Bulaga: 27
Yanda: 23
Gallery: 24

Originally posted by CuttyDoesIt:
Pretty sure I've heard Doyle say his kids hardly ever barbell bench
This is probably pretty true. We had a Doyle disciple as a strength coach and while there was some barbell bench, it was not a huge focus. Varying degrees of db bench and others.

They focus more on the explosive movements like snatch and clean and others.

Dang only 23 I guess there goes all the misguided hype from the ESPN writers that he would challenge the record. Shows how much they know about weightlifting.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Originally posted by UNIowaHawk:
He ran a 4.88

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Damn that's good
Why wasn't Scherff carrying the ball on those stretch plays?
You could definitely see the speed when he took the pitch on the final play of regulation - had he trucked the Nebraska d-back I believe they would still be digging the kid out of the ground.

Originally posted by Herky the Uruk-hai:
Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Originally posted by UNIowaHawk:
He ran a 4.88

Damn that's good
Why wasn't Scherff carrying the ball on those stretch plays?
You could definitely see the speed when he took the pitch on the final play of regulation - had he trucked the Nebraska d-back I believe they would still be mopping him from the turf.
FIFY

I don't know for sure why they don't max one rep, but I think it has to do with endurance rather than explosion. You play a long game, not one play.

He benched the same reps as Yanda who is a top 3 OL in the NFL. Iowa has never emphasized bench press and is more concerned with functional strength. The bench press is the most overrated combine drill.

Scherff should have put the straps on!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I think the bench press remains largely because it is about the only upper body strength measurement at the combine. You have the broad jump, 10 yard splits, vertical jump, to all measure lower body explosion. As far as lifting for max. I think that would prove to be a fiasco. Do you let guys move up each time they attain a weight, move down if they fail? Plus, I think you would witness more injuries as guys tried extend or beat a weight they had not achieved.

Your team is soft and plays soft. Kirk has ruined Iowa Football - if he ever wins 9 games again he might start to cry.

Originally posted by Baseballa33:
He benched the same reps as Yanda who is a top 3 OL in the NFL. Iowa has never emphasized bench press and is more concerned with functional strength. The bench press is the most overrated combine drill.
You got it wrong its "the most overrated lift period."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT