ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier salute

a
While I agree about someone needing to host, there’s a big difference between Chattanooga, Chicago, and Iowa City for visiting teams. Maybe it doesn’t matter much to the wrestlers since they won’t see much outside the venue, but I would think it more difficult to attract other fan bases to commit over the holidays.

I never went to the Midlands when it was at NW…went 3 times where they are currently holding it at Hoffman Estates. The location is fairly close to O’Hare (cheaper to fly to) and in an area with a lot of hotels within driving distance. There is one hotel within walking distance IIRC. It’s also got a Cabelas right by it. Other than one or two restaurants, you have to drive to get to anywhere else for food. This means you either have to drive or rent a car.

I don’t know if you have been to the venue in Coralville but they have 3 large hotels within walking distance and I believe one is connected to it. The IRL has a lot of food, shopping, and places to drink between rounds. Most are right across the street from the Arena. If flying in, you really don't have to rent a car.

I haven't been to the Scuffle so I don't know the logistics at UTC.

gonna be a uphill climb for SS to become a top tourney with major teams already committing to others, but it’s a start.

This may be blasphemy to Northwestern fans, but if Midlands continues to decline or stagnate and SS gets stronger, I could foresee Midlands Soldier Salute merging at some point. Iowa and Northwestern co-host and share receipts. One big tournament again vs. two small ones. Better competition, better venue, probably more revenue, half the cost.

This may be blasphemy to Northwestern fans, but if Midlands continues to decline or stagnate and SS gets stronger, I could foresee Midlands Soldier Salute merging at some point. Iowa and Northwestern co-host and share receipts. One big tournament again vs. two small ones. Better competition, better venue, probably more revenue, half the cost.
Anyone know when brackets come out so we can see who’s competing?? Also, someone mentioned wanting to see Block, but doubt that happens if he’s recovering from ACL surgery.

Was pointed out to me that 8 schools have SS on their schedule. Those would probably be the most likely to send starters:

SDSU, Minn, UNI, Columbia, UNC, Wyoming, VMI, and Bellarmine

The rest of the schools on SS website are:

ISU, Mizzou, Navy, Naval Academy prep school?, Oregon State, and Virginia

Guessing only select wrestlers from those schools will participate, but no concrete info on that.
Mizzou is showing 16 registered for SS and 2 registered for Midlands. I know things can change quickly, however, it looks good for SS. Neb has 16, Navy 14, Oregon St. 11, ISU 10. Purdue looks to be split between the two tournaments with 10 at each.

While I agree about someone needing to host, there’s a big difference between Chattanooga, Chicago, and Iowa City for visiting teams. Maybe it doesn’t matter much to the wrestlers since they won’t see much outside the venue, but I would think it more difficult to attract other fan bases to commit over the holidays.
Plus i think other programs dont want to see anything hawk related prosper. For whatever reason. With NW or chatt their programs arent us nationally, historically or successful. Jmo

Reactions: CaliHawkFan
Mizzou is showing 16 registered for SS and 2 registered for Midlands. I know things can change quickly, however, it looks good for SS. Neb has 16, Navy 14, Oregon St. 11, ISU 10. Purdue looks to be split between the two tournaments with 10 at each.
If Mizzou, Nebby, Navy and Oreg St send starters, were looking good. Will make it much more competitive. Personally, I doubt we see ISU starters out of that 10 but that would likely put it as a must see tournament if they did.

I am looking forward to seeing some of the Hawks wrestle each other, should it come to fruition.
We no longer have wrestle offs, which is a bummer. I’d like to see in no particular order.
Schriever, Teske, Peterson
Woods, Ditka, Block
VV, Rathjen, Ferrari, Block or
Ferrari vs. Franek
Kennedy vs. Caliendo or Arnold
Glazier, Ferrari, Franklin
Hill, Fleshman, Gage
Anxiously awaiting Keuter’s arrival.

Hopefully we see progress on finishing Takedowns, riding, mat returns.
Alot of nice matchups. Schreiver and Teske will likely be for starter going forward. I dont really care to see Ferrari v VV again, just let me know who won with a 3rd period takedown. I think theyre pretty even and Brands will go with Ferrari, VV just cant finish a takedown against good wrestlers. PK against either Cali or Arnold is the one I dont want to miss, that will be good stuff if PK is getting his lungs.

That would be a big change as currently the Iowa wrestling program does not run the Soldier Salute. It is run by the Iowa City Sports commission and the beneficiaries are the USO and women’s wrestling. It exists with Iowa’s endorsement, blessing, and commitment but it isn’t directly tied to the program. I believe this is different from Midlands which is run by jNW.

This also makes it easier to swallow for opposing teams who are concerned about something benefitting Iowa.

Alot of nice matchups. Schreiver and Teske will likely be for starter going forward. I dont really care to see Ferrari v VV again, just let me know who won with a 3rd period takedown. I think theyre pretty even and Brands will go with Ferrari, VV just cant finish a takedown against good wrestlers. PK against either Cali or Arnold is the one I dont want to miss, that will be good stuff if PK is getting his lungs.
Why would Cali go up to 174 ??

Reactions: el dub
I think attendance is very attractive to non Iowa wrestlers in that they get to preform in front of a loud crowd with lots of excitement.

A lot of people on here are judging the SS off of just 1 tournament. Gotta let it grow. Plus if the people that talk a big game actually want their shot at Iowa, here they are. Open to everyone and anyone is welcome.

A lot of people on here are judging the SS off of just 1 tournament. Gotta let it grow. Plus if the people that talk a big game actually want their shot at Iowa, here they are. Open to everyone and anyone is welcome.
If ever there was a year where the Hawks need a tournament like the Soldier Salute to work things out, this is it. A descent amount of D-1 competition, some D-1 backups and some in room competition. Rough B10 schedule on the horizon, time to get ready!

What’s the seating situation like for this event Saturday? How early do I need to get there to have decent seats?

Thinking about bringing my second grader down to watch some of the action.

Reactions: el dub
Listed on trackwrestling, the headings are off but the number to the right of the abbreviations is the number of wrestlers currently registered.

Team​
Season Team
Abbr​
Count
Points​
1​
Bellarmine, KYBellarmine, KY (GET)
BU​
0.0​
1​
Columbia, NYColumbia, NY (GET)
COL​
0.0​
1​
Iowa State, IAIowa State, IA (GET)
ISU​
0.0​
1​
Iowa, IAIowa, IA (GET)
IOWA​
0.0​
1​
Minnesota, MNMinnesota, MN (GET)
MINN​
0.0​
1​
Missouri, MOMissouri, MO (GET)
MIZZ​
0.0​
1​
Navy Academy Prep School, RINo Match (GET)
NAPS​
0.0​
1​
Navy, MDNavy, MD (GET)
NAVY​
0.0​
1​
Nebraska, NENebraska, NE (GET)
NEB​
0.0​
1​
North Carolina, NCNorth Carolina, NC (GET)
UNC​
0.0​
1​
Northern Iowa, IANorthern Iowa, IA (GET)
UNI​
0.0​
1​
Oregon State, OROregon State, OR (GET)
ORST​
0.0​
1​
Purdue, INPurdue, IN (GET)
PUR​
0.0​
1​
South Dakota State, SDSouth Dakota State, SD (GET)
SDSU​
0.0​
1​
Unattached, NYNo Match (GET)
UNAT​
0.0​
1​
Virginia, VAVirginia, VA (GET)
UVA​
0.0​
1​
VMI, VAVMI, VA (GET)
VMI​
0.0​
1​
Wyoming, WYWyoming, WY (GET)
WYO​
0.0​

Hopefully Perdue, O st and Navy bring up those entries. This is going to be a very solid tournament this year, hopefully it keeps gaining steam. In a few more years this could very easily be the top in season tournament.

From a Flo article about Nelson Brands:

Soldier Salute Lineup​

Brands said he expected 27 Iowa wrestlers, including three who will wrestle unattached, will compete in this weekend’s Soldier Salute in Coralville.

Brands hopes the tournament could help solidify Iowa’s lineup heading into the final three months of the season.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT