ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci Offered $1.25 Million to Wrestle for PSU Next Year

No one was thinking a "few thousand". Chael specifically stated $400k just to compete in the post season next year. That is two tournaments. That's a lot of money for a niche sport. To treat that nonchalantly and act like people are crazy for suggesting that's a lot of money when 95% of programs simply have no NIL market for their wrestlers whatsoever is ****ing crazy.

Comparing it to celebrity endorsements is laughable. NIL isn't being used primarily as a mechanism to profit off athletes endorsing products. It's being used as a means of buying athletes to compete at your school in a sport that mostly doesn't generate profit. You keep talking about it as if there is economic value and ROI to these NIL deals. That's rarely the case with wrestling. It's mega rich men throwing money at athletes so their favorite sports team can win. They aren't doing it to get a financial ROI.
why do we think chael has any idea what he's talking about?

psu is notoriously tight-lipped about these things
chael has a history of saying wild shit to get people to pay attention to him
chael has a podcast and a financial interest in creating content (a huge disincentive to keep anything he hears to himself)

considering all that...we think chael sonnen is the guy to finally get a leak from a relatively trusted/close to the program source as to a specific number for a wrestler (something that i don't think has ever really come out before)?

Reactions: goldenanimal
According to you , a person who has no idea about this. You haven’t seen the numbers, roi, or anything like that. So you don’t know.

And if you’re basing it on numbers, show them.

You're a 🤡. I'm not the one making numerical claims. The people claiming Truax was offered less by PSU can post numbers or shut the **** up. It's a pointless claim unless we see the numbers on each side.

Last edited:
why do we think chael has any idea what he's talking about?

psu is notoriously tight-lipped about these things
chael has a history of saying wild shit to get people to pay attention to him
chael has a podcast and a financial interest in creating content (a huge disincentive to keep anything he hears to himself)

considering all that...we think chael sonnen is the guy to finally get a leak from a relatively trusted/close to the program source as to a specific number for a wrestler (something that i don't think has ever really come out before)?

I've said to take it with a grain of salt because it's coming from Chael. Purpose of thread is to discuss the topic. And half the PSU people in this thread talk as if $400k is a drop in the bucket and not at all a surprise lol.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I questioned what PSU paid Truax. For some reason the "insiders' are perfectly fine leaking that Iowa offered Truax $250k, but no one will speak up on what PSU paid Truax. It seems like a way of slighting Iowa. Leak that Iowa is throwing big $$$ at guys as if PSU isn't doing the same, and also make Truax seem honorable or PSU better b/c he chose PSU despite less money.

None of that commentary means anything unless we know the pay difference. If PSU offered him $100k for example, then it'd be a notable difference. If it was $240k, then it's an insignificant difference, but they still get to make the claim "he went to PSU for less money".

I really don't understand why the leakers are comfortable giving a number that one team offered, but not the other team. @smalls103

IMO, at minimum NIL deals need to be fully public/transparent. It's literally the only sports structure I can think of where the payments are completely uncapped and lack any transparency. Complete wild west.
if you recall, it wasn't me that 'leaked' the number. it was out there and some people said it wasn't true. i simply replied that it was. i have a screenshot (somewhere) with the figure, which, if i recall correctly, was a shade under $250k. (though i don't remember the details i.e. if that included cost of tuition etc.)

what he got from PSU i'm not aware. i had heard that it was less than that and Bernie said something to suggest that in an interview but i have no significant intel on it.

i can assure you i didn't post anything regarding bernie to 'make iowa look bad'.

and i 100% agree with you that NIL figures should be public, should be detailed, and should be legit. but have zero optimism that will ever happen in our lifetime.

Re: Truax.

I already posted this else where but I’ll say it again:

His family is absolutely loaded. Like, owns a construction company that gets large contracts with the federal government.

I won’t claim to know the offers he got but if there’s a kid in college wrestling who can look at an extra $100k from one school and go to another that he views as a better opportunity, it’s Truax.

Re: Truax.

I already posted this else where but I’ll say it again:

His family is absolutely loaded. Like, owns a construction company that gets large contracts with the federal government.

I won’t claim to know the offers he got but if there’s a kid in college wrestling who can look at an extra $100k from one school and go to another that he views as a better opportunity, it’s Truax.

That tidbit was left out by all the people boasting that Truax chose PSU over Iowa despite being paid less. It's a pretty important point as is how much he's been paid by PSU.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
if you recall, it wasn't me that 'leaked' the number. it was out there and some people said it wasn't true. i simply replied that it was. i have a screenshot (somewhere) with the figure, which, if i recall correctly, was a shade under $250k. (though i don't remember the details i.e. if that included cost of tuition etc.)

what he got from PSU i'm not aware. i had heard that it was less than that and Bernie said something to suggest that in an interview but i have no significant intel on it.

i can assure you i didn't post anything regarding bernie to 'make iowa look bad'.

and i 100% agree with you that NIL figures should be public, should be detailed, and should be legit. but have zero optimism that will ever happen in our lifetime.
Maybe you should post your bank statements , your tax returns etc etc before you post online. Laughs in SCOTUS😂😂😂😂

Because kids in college can be in a band, write a novel, develop an app, invent something like those early computer fellows. They can make billions. The schools can make billions from their efforts and now SCOTUS has decided they can make money off their name, image, and likeness. And the NCAA can’t do crap about it.

The old school amateur ideals that came from British aristocracy are dead, cremated, and the ashes are scattered somewhere where no one cares.

Reactions: hlstone
Maybe you should post your bank statements , your tax returns etc etc before you post online. Laughs in SCOTUS😂😂😂😂

Because kids in college can be in a band, write a novel, develop an app, invent something like those early computer fellows. They can make billions. The schools can make billions from their efforts and now SCOTUS has decided they can make money off their name, image, and likeness. And the NCAA can’t do crap about it.

The old school amateur ideals that came from British aristocracy are dead, cremated, and the ashes are scattered somewhere where no one cares.
They must be scattered somewhere in Iowa!!

Saying 7 figures for Carter to come back. Yikes. Good for him.
That five time thing is huge and he gives good clicks, so it makes sense for him to stay and get paid. Better have them withhold the taxes though lol, because I think he's going to lose about 420 k or so to Uncle Sam.

No one was thinking a "few thousand". Chael specifically stated $400k just to compete in the post season next year. That is two tournaments. That's a lot of money for a niche sport. To treat that nonchalantly and act like people are crazy for suggesting that's a lot of money when 95% of programs simply have no NIL market for their wrestlers whatsoever is ****ing crazy.

Comparing it to celebrity endorsements is laughable. NIL isn't being used primarily as a mechanism to profit off athletes endorsing products. It's being used as a means of buying athletes to compete at your school in a sport that mostly doesn't generate profit. You keep talking about it as if there is economic value and ROI to these NIL deals. That's rarely the case with wrestling. It's mega rich men throwing money at athletes so their favorite sports team can win. They aren't doing it to get a financial ROI.
It’s what many teams, especially the big money sports, have been doing illegally for years, they just made it legal now.

$1.25m is certainly a big number, probably exorbitant for a non-revenue sport, but Starocci is coming back for a chance to be the only ever 5-time champ. This is a one-of-a-kind quest. That's a pretty big deal across all of college sports.

Reactions: LOTOlion
$1.25m is certainly a big number, probably exorbitant for a non-revenue sport, but Starocci is coming back for a chance to be the only ever 5-time champ. This is a one-of-a-kind quest. That's a pretty big deal across all of college sports.

This justification is weird.

1) the only reason that he'd be the only ever 5 time champ is because he's one of the very few to be given 5 opportunities at it. It's dumb imo to speak as if it's a legitimate distinguishable accomplishment. Starocci highlighting that it wouldn't ever be broken just emphasizes how absurdly they handled covid by taking a year away from Lugo's/Vincenzo's class and giving an extra year to Starocci.

2) why would a booster care about that individual achievement to the extent that they'd be willing to spend 7 figures on it? Talk about living vicariously. PSU doesn't need Starocci to win a team title again next year. If you have the level of wealth where you can afford to spend 7 figures for an athlete to compete in a couple of tournaments, you're quite frankly too rich for your own good.

Caitlin Clark single handedly put asses in seats and increased the economic market for women's basketball significantly. There is a significant ROI behind her NIL.

How many people are buying Starocci apparel? How many tickets is he individually driving? NCAA tournament viewership went down last year. Is he doing commercials for Fortune 100 companies?

The reality is it's a few mega rich old men who live vicariously through these wrestlers. That's not solely specific to PSU either, but they have the wealthiest donors by a good margin.

Last edited:

1) the only reason that he'd be the only ever 5 time champ is because he's one of the very few to be given 5 opportunities at it. It's dumb imo to speak as if it's a legitimate indistinguishable accomplishment. Starocci highlighting that it wouldn't ever be broken just emphasizes how absurdly they handled covid by taking a year away from Lugo's/Vincenzo's class and giving an extra year to Starocci.

2) why would a booster care about that individual achievement to the extent that they'd be willing to spend 7 figures on it? Talk about living vicariously. PSU doesn't need Starocci to win a team title again next year. If you have the level of wealth where you can afford to spend 7 figures for an athlete to compete in a couple of tournaments, you're quite frankly too rich for your own good.

Caitlin Clark single handedly put asses in seats and increased the economic market for women's basketball significantly. There is a significant ROI behind her NIL.

How many people are buying Starocci apparel? How many tickets is he individually driving? NCAA tournament viewership went down last year. Is he doing commercials for Fortune 100 companies?

The reality is it's a few mega rich old men who live vicariously through these wrestlers. That's not solely specific to PSU either, but they have the wealthiest donors by a good margin.
It’s cool when Hawk money chases less accomplished talent. Got it. And yes, PSU needs those team points about as much as a BMW driver needs a turn signal, unless you’re talking getting to 180…

It’s cool when Hawk money chases less accomplished talent. Got it. And yes, PSU needs those team points about as much as a BMW driver needs a turn signal, unless you’re talking getting to 180…

When did I say that it's different when Iowa does it? I explicitly said PSU isn't the only one doing it. Learn to read and comprehend.

Reactions: hawk224
He has said it about pretty much every PSU wrestler every single yea

1) the only reason that he'd be the only ever 5 time champ is because he's one of the very few to be given 5 opportunities at it. It's dumb imo to speak as if it's a legitimate indistinguishable accomplishment. Starocci highlighting that it wouldn't ever be broken just emphasizes how absurdly they handled covid by taking a year away from Lugo's/Vincenzo's class and giving an extra year to Starocci.

THIS IS A HOMERUN OF A POST.... we might not agree on everything but damn old boy.... you got this one right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I might add that some of the wealthiest donors... never saw the mat as a wrestler but they want to be in on whatever is the " latest and greatest "

Looks like Davis and Haines will both RS this year. So better safe then sorry I guess.
I'd peg PSU at 145-150 points next year and at this very early stage even if you lose Davis and Haines. They pick up Lillendahl and SVN to possibly more than compensate for the loss of those two. The two questions for PSU next year are the scoring potential of 174 and 184 with Ryder/Facundo and Barr respectively. That combo will be extremely hard pressed to reach the 32.5 points Carter/Truax scored.

So I don't think they needed the Carter insurance policy. They should win by 50 next year. NIL is truly like a bag of money. SMU got the death penalty for doing exactly what NIL is doing.

Reactions: redghost1974
I'd peg PSU at 145-150 points next year and at this very early stage even if you lose Davis and Haines. They pick up Lillendahl and SVN to possibly more than compensate for the loss of those two. The two questions for PSU next year are the scoring potential of 174 and 184 with Ryder/Facundo and Barr respectively. That combo will be extremely hard pressed to reach the 32.5 points Carter/Truax scored.

So I don't think they needed the Carter insurance policy. They should win by 50 next year. NIL is truly like a bag of money. SMU got the death penalty for doing exactly what NIL is doing.

So, is it

Lilledahl
Nagao
Bartlett
Kasak
VanNess
Messenbrink
Facundo
Barr
Starocci
Kerk

It’s horseshit that anyone has the opportunity to win 5 championships. It’s not a quest it’s the result of the ncaa doing what it always does….make terrible decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT