ADVERTISEMENT

State Wrestling 2024

3A 120 bracket should be good to see who comes out on top of the trio Jake Knight, Dru Ayala, and Carter Pearson
3A 157 has Kael Voinovich
3A 215 has Dreshaun Ross
3A 285 has Herrera (Iowa St. commit was 2x state champ in cali)

3A 120 bracket should be good to see who comes out on top of the trio Jake Knight, Dru Ayala, and Carter Pearson
3A 215 has Dreshaun Ross
How is Ross doing with that shoulder injury?
I had a major dislocation in HS and had to get surgery, it screwed my career up good for the next few years and it never was 100%. Given this was in the late 80’s so I hope his process has been much more advanced and successful.

How is Ross doing with that shoulder injury?
I had a major dislocation in HS and had to get surgery, it screwed my career up good for the next few years and it never was 100%. Given this was in the late 80’s so I hope his process has been much more advanced and successful.
When did he suffer the shoulder injury?

3A 215 has Dreshaun Ross
From what I've been told and seen, Herrera will win state. He's very good but had to sit out until late January due to questions about his transfer from California.

Another matchup to watch is Slade from SEP potentially meeting Mickel from Ames in the 3A 190 final. Slade used to live in Ames and last year was one of the favorites to win state but was DQ'd for an illegal move. He's committed to Campbell University. Mickel transferred to Ames from PA last year, is supposedly related to Paniro Johnson, and the word is he was "brought" to Ames by ISU.

From what I've been told and seen, Herrera will win state. He's very good but had to sit out until late January due to questions about his transfer from California.

Another matchup to watch is Slade from SEP potentially meeting Mickel from Ames in the 3A 190 final. Slade used to live in Ames and last year was one of the favorites to win state but was DQ'd for an illegal move. He's committed to Campbell University. Mickel transferred to Ames from PA last year, is supposedly related to Paniro Johnson, and the word is he was "brought" to Ames by ISU.
They not the only ones who have done that...

All the wrestlers mentioned here are on to the semifinals. Mickey had a tough 2-1 win the quarterfinals.
Have there been any upsets?
I thought I seen Jayden Renkin (spelling?) got upset. I think he was a #2 seed and a returning champ? He medical forfeited after the loss too I see. I haven't seen or heard of many other big upsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inthecircle
Am I correct that that if I have YouTubeTV in Eastern Iowa, my only option to watch is by purchasing a pass to the Iowa Highschool streaming app (since I don't have Flo)? Or will finals be broadcast on any of the local networks?

Am I correct that that if I have YouTubeTV in Eastern Iowa, my only option to watch is by purchasing a pass to the Iowa Highschool streaming app (since I don't have Flo)? Or will finals be broadcast on any of the local networks?
I believe you are correct and will need to purchase the IHSSN pass

Last edited:
Reactions: blcoach80

He is Paniro's cousin. Had a rough upbringing and home life in Erie, PA. He was supposed to go to prep school (Sem?), but couldn't get in because of a fight or similar issue he got in when he was in grade school. His club coach and the prep school coach were the ones making a push to get him out of Erie, because his home situation and neighborbood were so bad there was thought he might not live through HS if he stayed there. Ended up moving in with a nice family in Ames, his adoptive mother is the dance team coach at ames high school and coached my niece. Some of the stories we have heard secondhand are pretty heartbreaking. Sounds like he is thriving at ames high. I am rooting for him.

Last edited:
You have to pay for semis this year? It was a free stream in the past I thought.
IHSSN started charging for all the sports broadcasts this school year. Football, baseball, wrestling, track, and basketball all were free for years. Not anymore. They are in a lawsuit with the Iowa High School Athletic Association over charging for the streams as it was supposed to be free, but IHSSN has the exclusive rights currently so until that changes or the lawsuit gets settled you have to buy a tournament pass for each sport to watch them anymore. Sucks.

You have to pay for semis this year? It was a free stream in the past I thought.

If you have Flo semis are also free there.

IHSSN started charging for all the sports broadcasts this school year. Football, baseball, wrestling, track, and basketball all were free for years. Not anymore. They are in a lawsuit with the Iowa High School Athletic Association over charging for the streams as it was supposed to be free, but IHSSN has the exclusive rights currently so until that changes or the lawsuit gets settled you have to buy a tournament pass for each sport to watch them anymore. Sucks.

It’s ridiculous this wasn’t spelled out in black and white in the contract. What an absolute joke. Complete dereliction of duties from the guys in Boone.

He is Paniro's cousin. Had a rough upbringing and home life in Erie, PA. He was supposed to go to prep school (Sem?), but couldn't get in because of a fight or similar issue he got in when he was in grade school. His club coach and the prep school coach were the ones making a push to get him out of Eerie, because his home situation and neighborbood were so bad there was thought he might not live through HS if he stayed there. Ended up moving in with a nice family in Ames, his adoptive mother is the dance team coach at ames high school and coached my niece. Some of the stories we have heard secondhand are pretty heartbreaking. Sounds like he is thriving at ames high. I am rooting for him.
Minor correction...she used to coach dance. Got into a little trouble. Her adoptive daughter was coaching dance/cheer for a few years recently but I believe stopped doing that as well.

Danarii is a good kid, and as with most kids that went through what he did, needed some structure, routine, love, etc. When he first got to Ames, he told a coach, "my friends call me 'Muscles'." :)

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that whole fiasco was going on.

Reactions: blcoach80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT