ADVERTISEMENT

State Wrestling 2024

don’t know anything about how good his opponent is but voinovich looked really good. very polished.

Reactions: el dub
Pretty physical wrestling at 150 in 1a. Both were hand fighting and moving each other around. Pretty polished wrestling. I don’t know how good either of those kids were but I was impressed at how damn physical it was. Fun to watch. Just goes to show that there is quality wrestling at every corner of this state. That’s part of what makes this tournament so damn good.

Reactions: WildTurk
Mickel vs Slade has been a good one. 1 point match with a min to go.

Wow! Slade gives up the stall to make it 4-4 and immediately gets a takedown to win

I wish Iowa could get Ross from Fort Dodge. 3 tds in 30 secs to start his finals match

And the 1st period pin to win. Looks like his has a big shoulder wrap on aswell. He is only a sophomore with big time talent
He's got plenty of time to continue to grow into his body. The only thing is that he's so long that it may take him some getting use to the heaviest weight, which is ultimately where he'll have to wrestle.

There's zero chance he could drop to 197.

Reactions: vhsalum
I would like one giant cage match with all the champs.
Animated GIF

Hard to judge based on the talent level he faced at 285 in Iowa. That is not an especially talented weight class.
FLO has him #9 in the nation. He won a couple California titles aswell.

His opponent in the finals was significantly smaller but he still looked very fluid in his movements for a big man

I would like to congratulate my cousin "Little" Hesston Johnson on his finals appearance tonight. 2 losses this year. 1 to the previously mentioned Maganya and the other to his opponent tonight. My uncle "Big" Hesston wrestled 165 at UNI in the early 2000s. As a senior he was the only wrestler to beat his opponent when they wrestled Iowa in a dual. I believe he beat Cole Pape. Even though he was my uncle it was tough not rooting for a Hawkeye.
I sat behind a bunch of kids from his school and a couple of parents. Very nice people and we helped cheer on Hess.

@el dub Orabies got a title tonight at 190 2-A. Kory Roos' son. 1st title since Josh Ihnen who went on to AA at Nebraska.

Reactions: el dub
Kid could be a Kueter type isn’t he a big football recruit as well?
Yes.

He was 235 lbs for football and had to cut to make 215.

Gonna be interesting to see how he grows. I see him in the vein of a taller Kyle Snyder. "Undersized" Heavyweight, but technically better than his peers, and that's where he can take advantage.

Anyone care to explain how that 1A kid from Denver was 41-0 coming into state and ended up the 11 seed? How can that possibly be?
Technically it is not a “true” seedling like they do at tournaments during the season.

It is a points based seeding that is very heavily weighted towards older kids.

You get points for being a state qualifier, state placer, state champ… Then there are other criteria that freshman can get, but they will most likely always fall behind older kids with state experience.

It is not unlike how they seed Worlds and the Olympics.

What's funny? Do you think I'm making up his national level performances? Because these are easily to find online and stand on their own.

Great. Sounds like an interesting program. Has nothing to do with why he's not a high level D1 recruit.

It's interesting that the post you replied to no longer exists.

It says you don't understand what we are talking about. Magayna isn't a high level D1 recruit and NDSU isn't a high level D1 program. Are you actually trying to claim otherwise? Because that's the point you're arguing against.
You read me wrong.

Reactions: SPOONER
Am I the only one that would love to see round robin matches of all the champs at each weight to crown a all class champ?
I used to. It's never going to happen. When and where?
Didn't there used to be something a few weeks after the state tournament where some of those matchups happened? In Charles City? May have only been two classes then. Not sure everyone trained for those.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT