ADVERTISEMENT

Sticking around for another season

If we can get Higgins, Castro and either Lachey or All back, I would be a happy camper. Anything more than that is incredible.

Our 2024 schedule is not that daunting. I don’t EXPECT it, but we can be a playoff team next season.
All is done isn't he?

If we can get Higgins, Castro and either Lachey or All back, I would be a happy camper. Anything more than that is incredible.

Our 2024 schedule is not that daunting. I don’t EXPECT it, but we can be a playoff team next season.
I think the sweet spot for a team like Iowa is to do well enough to lose a tiebreaker for the Big Ten Championship game. Don't risk the extra loss and hold out for one of those last at-large slots.

Obviously everyone wants to win the conference, but we've seen how difficult that is - and will only be getting more challenging.

I think the sweet spot for a team like Iowa is to do well enough to lose a tiebreaker for the Big Ten Championship game. Don't risk the extra loss and hold out for one of those last at-large slots.

Obviously everyone wants to win the conference, but we've seen how difficult that is - and will only be getting more challenging.
This could be true, but I feel like if we have a team good enough to make the playoffs, it will be one of those special years where we can legitimately beat anyone and making a conference title game wouldn't be a detriment. I also don't believe a conference title game loss will be as damaging when they are taking twelve teams. A team like Georgia would get in this year. If it's done right, it will be better to play in the title game and lose than to finish third and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24 and Torg
Per Dochterman and Leistikow, it sounds like the staff is confident on getting some of the guys to return. Jackson doesn't sound likely, Cooper likely gone as well. The rest though Higgins, Schulte, Castro, Lachey, Harris sound promising.
Where they going lol ... portal to Drake

• Wow
Reactions: LukaDuka
Thought I remember seeing somewhere that All said he was coming back.
That would be a major surprise given his injury history and a new baby. Hopefully he gets some NIL money. Also with the emergence of Ostrenga and early enrollment of Hoffman.

Per Dochterman and Leistikow, it sounds like the staff is confident on getting some of the guys to return. Jackson doesn't sound likely, Cooper likely gone as well. The rest though Higgins, Schulte, Castro, Lachey, Harris sound promising.
Higgins, Harris & Lachey returning would be sweet. Castro returning would be icing on the cake.

I'm confident Harrell & Sharar are ready to fill in for Higgins and Jackson if it falls that way.

Reactions: squeezebox
Getting some combination of those guys back for another season would be better than almost anything we could get out of the portal.

Getting some combination of those guys back for another season would be better than almost anything we could get out of the portal.
I think Iowa will be more active in the May 2024 portal than the current window. New OC and offensive system will be installed, spring ball will reset the depth chart pecking order and likely more guys will be leaving, freeing up schollies.

With the multiple transfer loophole still open right now, I hope a guy like Brown isn't headed to the portal. I do wonder if Marco surpasses Deacon in spring if he enters.

With Castro already getting late round feedback and Harris likely a UFA they both should return, Higgins comes back He is one of the favorites for the Butkus and at best He would be a round 5-7 player this Year, He should return, Lachey is facing a very strong TE class coming off an injury which would slide Him into Day 3 , He should return and ball out and get that round 1/2 area next Year . Jackson comes back if the NCAA approves the Year or why would Iowa have made the petition in the first place if He wanted to enter the Draft, Schulte should return as well He would be a UFA , Cooper if He feels will not drop to round 2 should go but He has been dropping in all the mocks lately and People stereotyping Him to Safety , If He gets the feel He will be pushed to Safety and round 2 He should return .If CB and round 1 go. Just My take .Iowa gets a bulk of that Defense back and there will be hell to pay

So wait….you would prefer we not go to the conference title game because we would lose….so we can get into the playoff and play a conference champion….and lose?

This playoff is the end all logic is getting bonkers to me…

If All had a full healthy season next year, he should have a shot at a top 3 round pick. A great season could push him up into big bucks. Is he a 3rd round or higher pick right now? Coming off a major injury, plus the significant injury he had at Michigan, I could see a lot of teams not even spending a pick on him and just waiting for UDFA status. Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe he’s decided to move on from football because of the injury history.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
If All had a full healthy season next year, he should have a shot at a top 3 round pick. A great season could push him up into big bucks. Is he a 3rd round or higher pick right now? Coming off a major injury, plus the significant injury he had at Michigan, I could see a lot of teams not even spending a pick on him and just waiting for UDFA status. Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe he’s decided to move on from football because of the injury history.
I think both of the tight ends stand the most to gain if either comes back and is the main guy (as in the other guy left). Sounds like that could be Lachey. All the defensive guys have been so well coached and developed I don’t see how another year really impacts their draft status, maybe it could help Higgins.

Reactions: littlez
So wait….you would prefer we not go to the conference title game because we would lose….so we can get into the playoff and play a conference champion….and lose?

This playoff is the end all logic is getting bonkers to me…
Nope, not what I said.

If you want to make the playoffs, I think the easiest route to get in the door is a 11-1 or 10-2 with good wins at-large, rather than a 11-2 or 10-3 conference runner-up.

Winning a conference championship should always be a goal of every program, but recent history seems to suggest Iowa isn't really built to pull that off. If enough things change to make that possible, great!

Starting next year, I think for Power-4 teams, this will be the order of what teams will want to strive for:

1. National Championship
2. Final Four
3. Conference Championship
4. Playoff Quarterfinals (NY6 Bowls)
5. Just getting in the playoffs
6. Conference Runner-Up
7. Make a bowl

If you think 1-3 is a realistic goal for Iowa in the next couple of years, that's great. I love your optimism.

Nope, not what I said.

If you want to make the playoffs, I think the easiest route to get in the door is a 11-1 or 10-2 with good wins at-large, rather than a 11-2 or 10-3 conference runner-up.

Winning a conference championship should always be a goal of every program, but recent history seems to suggest Iowa isn't really built to pull that off. If enough things change to make that possible, great!

Starting next year, I think for Power-4 teams, this will be the order of what teams will want to strive for:

1. National Championship
2. Final Four
3. Conference Championship
4. Playoff Quarterfinals (NY6 Bowls)
5. Just getting in the playoffs
6. Conference Runner-Up
7. Make a bowl

If you think 1-3 is a realistic goal for Iowa in the next couple of years, that's great. I love your optimism.
#5 should be the number one goal every season.

I’m just of the opinion that if you can’t realistically compete for a conference title you have a 0.0% chance of advancing in the playoffs anyways….so why bother?

If you just sneak in you will be playing a top 6 team….and then let’s say you win that you immediately get destroyed by one of the top seeds.

Need to score more than 10 to do that.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
I’m just of the opinion that if you can’t realistically compete for a conference title you have a 0.0% chance of advancing in the playoffs anyways….so why bother?

If you just sneak in you will be playing a top 6 team….and then let’s say you win that you immediately get destroyed by one of the top seeds.
No.

cooper gone? was that mega thread about cooper himself refuting this bogus? watching him play is a pleasure, would love to see him come back for one more year...with a real OC and a Cooper led D we could lay waste to the b1g :)

Reactions: Bishop-71
cooper gone? was that mega thread about cooper himself refuting this bogus? watching him play is a pleasure, would love to see him come back for one more year...with a real OC and a Cooper led D we could lay waste to the b1g :)
He's going to wait and listen to advice from several sources after the bowl game. And all of those sources, probably including Kirk, are going to tell him to go, as they should.

Reactions: desihawk
It was about Cooper not being a sure bet to leave. Nobody, including him has ever said he’s coming back.

I think it’s always been likely he’ll leave, but he is at least considering staying.

It's possible all 6 return although CDJ should probably be advised to go unless they really want to utilize him in all 3 phrases to make a Heisman run. I certainly would love to have him back though.

My guess is that 4-5 of them return.

2 big ones would be Lachey and Higgins. Lachey I could see coming back in to increase his draft stock. Not sure if would be projected a day 2 pick or not because bowers from UGA only 1st rd guy after that not sure how te class falls into place. Higgins as a true sr after year he had easy to say probably nfl bound. However between way his dad is and Jay himself the Higgins family has a lot of love for IC more than the avg player. With NIL too just never know chance he comes back.

Castro possible late rd and Harris/schulte fall into the same boat of most likely udfa. Castro more than other 2 stay and improve chances or go and start nfl clock now. 2 perfect examples of success are geno stone and merriweather last year. Late rd and udfa both made right decision to go.

It's possible all 6 return although CDJ should probably be advised to go unless they really want to utilize him in all 3 phrases to make a Heisman run. I certainly would love to have him back though.

My guess is that 4-5 of them return.

2nd rd after injury vs top 15. They are trying to discern where he goes, so it isn’t a no brainer!

And if the rumor I heard was correct the extra snaps on offense is when he was injured so that not likely happening again ?

Per Dochterman and Leistikow, it sounds like the staff is confident on getting some of the guys to return. Jackson doesn't sound likely, Cooper likely gone as well. The rest though Higgins, Schulte, Castro, Lachey, Jackson, Harris sound promising.
It was interesting that Tyler Barnes said he was not spending much time on the portal. His main focus was trying to get six players to return. I think those six are (Higgins, Lachey, Castro, Harris, Jackson and Schulte). I think All and Super Cooper are heading to the draft for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT