ADVERTISEMENT

Sticking around for another season

2nd rd after injury vs top 15. They are trying to discern where he goes, so it isn’t a no brainer!

And if the rumor I heard was correct the extra snaps on offense is when he was injured so that not likely happening again ?
Definitely not a no brainer and he's a diehard Hawk who didn't love getting injured to end his year (which no one does but...). That was the rumor but not sure that necessarily matters. I would say you could use him for 10-15 plays on O, keep him at PR and then just sub in a few extra plays on D so he gets the necessary breathers.....again, not saying they would play him more but if he would come back and want to make a Heisman run, that's probably his only chance unfortunately.

2nd rd after injury vs top 15. They are trying to discern where he goes, so it isn’t a no brainer!

And if the rumor I heard was correct the extra snaps on offense is when he was injured so that not likely happening again ?
Since the injury was a noncontact injury, I would bet the injury was going to happen at some point no matter what side of the ball he was on. It did happen while he was on the offensive side though.

Since the injury was a noncontact injury, I would bet the injury was going to happen at some point no matter what side of the ball he was on. It did happen while he was on the offensive side though.

Extra reps, leads to more exposure which leads to more injuries

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Coming back is a big decision for these guys because it is such a grind. This isn't a program for the weak of heart and mind. One of Kirk's asks is that if you come back, you are all in, 100% commitment. After 4-5 years in the program, there has to be a strong motivator to come back and commit to another season.

I think the 2 biggest motivators are improving draft stock and being part of a potentially special team. I do believe these are big enough motivators to (hopefully) bring 3-4 of these guys back. Highly unlikely for all 6. I think 4 back is the ceiling. 2 is the floor.

Definitely not a no brainer and he's a diehard Hawk who didn't love getting injured to end his year (which no one does but...). That was the rumor but not sure that necessarily matters. I would say you could use him for 10-15 plays on O, keep him at PR and then just sub in a few extra plays on D so he gets the necessary breathers.....again, not saying they would play him more but if he would come back and want to make a Heisman run, that's probably his only chance unfortunately.
Doesn’t a 2 time consensus All American get their name on the stadium? That could mean something to an Iowa kid.

This could be true, but I feel like if we have a team good enough to make the playoffs, it will be one of those special years where we can legitimately beat anyone and making a conference title game wouldn't be a detriment. I also don't believe a conference title game loss will be as damaging when they are taking twelve teams. A team like Georgia would get in this year. If it's done right, it will be better to play in the title game and lose than to finish third and hope for the best.
2002 was the closest we came to “being able to beat anyone” and we got thrashed by USC. We have not had a year under Kirk where we could legitimately say we could win it all. It is what it is. Now, I’m certain we will make the playoffs some day, but I expect an early exit when we do.

2002 was the closest we came to “being able to beat anyone” and we got thrashed by USC. We have not had a year under Kirk where we could legitimately say we could win it all. It is what it is. Now, I’m certain we will make the playoffs some day, but I expect an early exit when we do.
That 2002 team in November was able to beat anyone in the country. After taking almost 7 weeks off before its next game, plus enjoying the Orange Bowl festivities too much, they played with many uncharacteristic mistakes against USC. Missed Scoring opportunities and an inability to stop a drive by a defense that was weak against the passing game. That game was tied at halftime and turned into a route in the 2nd half.

In the playoff system, they’ll have a few weeks off at most before their next game. That would have been a world of difference for that particular team.

With Castro already getting late round feedback and Harris likely a UFA they both should return, Higgins comes back He is one of the favorites for the Butkus and at best He would be a round 5-7 player this Year, He should return, Lachey is facing a very strong TE class coming off an injury which would slide Him into Day 3 , He should return and ball out and get that round 1/2 area next Year . Jackson comes back if the NCAA approves the Year or why would Iowa have made the petition in the first place if He wanted to enter the Draft, Schulte should return as well He would be a UFA , Cooper if He feels will not drop to round 2 should go but He has been dropping in all the mocks lately and People stereotyping Him to Safety , If He gets the feel He will be pushed to Safety and round 2 He should return .If CB and round 1 go. Just My take .Iowa gets a bulk of that Defense back and there will be hell to pay
I think as far as Jackson he wanted the option to do either or. He may be a late rounder which would bring him back but maybe he has good workout #'s that bump him up.
I'm a Dallas fan but I was happy/shocked they took Anthony Hitchens in the 4th round years ago.

I think the 2009 team was as good as any. Ton of NFL talent on the Oline and every level of defense.

Meh…. I’m not even sure that was Kirk’s best team.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
That 2002 team in November was able to beat anyone in the country. After taking almost 7 weeks off before its next game, plus enjoying the Orange Bowl festivities too much, they played with many uncharacteristic mistakes against USC. Missed Scoring opportunities and an inability to stop a drive by a defense that was weak against the passing game. That game was tied at halftime and turned into a route in the 2nd half.

In the playoff system, they’ll have a few weeks off at most before their next game. That would have been a world of difference for that particular team.
lol, make all the excuses you want bro.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
I think the 2009 team was as good as any. Ton of NFL talent on the Oline and every level of defense.
Maybe, but we got the most favorable opponent imaginable in the orange bowl, and we really didn’t impress if you’re being honest. Either way, that team wasn’t NC caliber.

Maybe, but we got the most favorable opponent imaginable in the orange bowl, and we really didn’t impress if you’re being honest. Either way, that team wasn’t NC caliber.
Maybe not but I'd take either the '02 or '09 team in a 4 team playoff. '15 we would have got killed I can admit that.

Reactions: Birky and SolarHawk
Per Dochterman and Leistikow, it sounds like the staff is confident on getting some of the guys to return. Jackson doesn't sound likely, Cooper likely gone as well. The rest though Higgins, Schulte, Castro, Lachey, Harris sound promising.
Hope your info on Cooper is wrong! I would like to see Iowa hype him for the Heisman. 😉

He's going to wait and listen to advice from several sources after the bowl game. And all of those sources, probably including Kirk, are going to tell him to go, as they should.
I hope Coop does what HE wants to do.

Might want to take another look at that 2002 USC roster.
Just sayin.

I thought I read/heard that the injury WAS contact-related, i.e., another player falling on Cooper’s leg?

Where they going lol ... portal to Drake
Actually, there’s a level of football beyond college called the “NFL”. They’re professionals, it’s where the best of the best play. We kind of take it for granted, since Iowa actually has a lot of players end up there.

I can see where a Nebraska fan would get confused. Hope this helps!

I think Iowa will be more active in the May 2024 portal than the current window. New OC and offensive system will be installed, spring ball will reset the depth chart pecking order and likely more guys will be leaving, freeing up schollies.

You had me until you said "new" offensive system.

• Haha
Reactions: INXS83
Random thought, I was young but wasn't it '02-05 we finished top 10?

Sometimes I feel KF dropped the ball on keeping that success running especially adapting to the game is it evolved. Maybe we could be on a perennial level like a Oregon or something.

Idk I could be talking out of my ass also.

Sometimes I feel KF dropped the ball on keeping that success running especially adapting to the game is it evolved. Maybe we could be on a perennial level like a Oregon or something.

I believe we finished #8 each of those years.

Iowa actually did a good job recruiting off of those years. Have that 05’ class with a bunch of highly ranked guys. However as many know the down fall to getting some guys was the City Boyz debacle with guys like dominque Douglas. along with the saterfield/Everson sexual assault ordeal. Led to the bad 06/07 seasons. Kirk then shifted recruiting philosophy and less inclined to take guys with questionable character.

As for adapting to the times he kind of did. He let Parker do it with cash position using more guys rotating on DL, raider package etc. more focus on used a coaching spot full dedicated fully to special teams that has paid off with woods. Obviously one side of the ball he never really changed over his tenure is on offense side for whatever reasons he’s so much more stubborn to change.

I think the 2009 team was as good as any. Ton of NFL talent on the Oline and every level of defe
If You could give Me the 2002 Offense with the Iowa Defense this Year it is a Natty , every other Team as was constructed falls short. I am sure every top25ish program could mix and match units and claim the same.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If You could give Me the 2002 Offense with the Iowa Defense this Year it is a Natty , every other Team as was constructed falls short. I am sure every top25ish program could mix and match units and claim the same.
I agree with that. I'm only 31 and was in HS for the '09 year so I'm pretty partial to that team.
If I'm being honest I think the most fun and resilient season of my lifetime was '04.

True. At a program like Iowa it is very hard to have a top two deep units and special teams to win it all and do it fairly easily. I think Kirk had better defenses on some other teams, 2004 and 2008, and these latest 3 years of defense where if they were paired with the 2002 offense might have been a super team.

It took Fry 7 years to reach #1 which I was never really expecting to happen then they had to play in the shoe in a monsoon. But even the 2002 and 1985 squads would not be able to overcome several key injuries.

Watching that game, it seemed like they were trying to have the game be Banks vs Palmer. They ran the ball well in the first half and then it seemed like they threw it a ton in the second half.

I’m just of the opinion that if you can’t realistically compete for a conference title you have a 0.0% chance of advancing in the playoffs anyways….so why bother?

If you just sneak in you will be playing a top 6 team….and then let’s say you win that you immediately get destroyed by one of the top seeds.
"Why bother" if your a team like Iowa you have a chance in any game you play on the field, so thats why.....

It was interesting that Tyler Barnes said he was not spending much time on the portal. His main focus was trying to get six players to return. I think those six are (Higgins, Lachey, Castro, Harris, Jackson and Schulte). I think All and Super Cooper are heading to the draft for sure.
Hmm, since Coop has said HE'S not sure, I'm not certain how your convinced yet.....

I was at the '03 Orange Bowl. An awesome few days until the second half. To me, I agree that the 7 week layoff wasn't helpful and that the team and coaches had a little "fat cat" mentality creep in, but I also believe if you give any good defensive coordinator more than a couple weeks to prepare for any Iowa offense, it's going to be tough for us. SC players commented after the game how easy it was to scout us and how we didn't do anything different during the course of the game.

That being said, that Iowa team is still, to me, Kirk's best team.

I'm sorry, but is Harris returning really considered a positive?
Of course it is. Experience in Phil’s system and the guy has made some plays for us. He was excellent against Michigan in the championship game.

I was at the '03 Orange Bowl. An awesome few days until the second half. To me, I agree that the 7 week layoff wasn't helpful and that the team and coaches had a little "fat cat" mentality creep in, but I also believe if you give any good defensive coordinator more than a couple weeks to prepare for any Iowa offense, it's going to be tough for us. SC players commented after the game how easy it was to scout us and how we didn't do anything different during the course of the game.

That being said, that Iowa team is still, to me, Kirk's best team.
USC was starting to head to their big run under Carroll. We were as loaded as Iowa will ever be on both sides of the ball but look at that USC roster. They were just to good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT