ADVERTISEMENT

The Cupboards Are Bare

All other teams deal with injures/opt-outs/transfers. Just look at today’s opponent: missing its starting QB, two leading rushers, starting defensive end, six defensive backs, two wide receivers, two linebackers, and an offensive lineman. And they still whipped the shit out of Iowa 35-0.
Yeah, FSU and OSU scored 2 field goals between them. They " delt " with it alright...

if memory serves, everyone was also very excited about the 'WR room' last Spring....lol
I seriously question if Iowa uses a juggs machine to give their wr’s reps or what. They don’t even need to make the great catch. Just catch the ones thrown right at ya.

Your critiquing him when he had his 3 rd string QB, and receiving core? U can’t be that dmb?
Damn your such a KF a$$ kisser.
It’s unreal how you defend this sh!t show. They’ve stunk for three years without injuries, so stop using that crutch. It’s an antiquated scheme, combined with terrible coaching and sub par recruiting. Just stop w the KF defense… it’s embarrassing

Last edited:
1998 all over again.

No. I know it feels bad now, but the 2 situations are different
Maybe not 1998, but it's not far off of December 31, 1997, the date of the Iowa Sun Bowl loss to ASU.

Hayden stubbornly started his injured senior to play the game, and the result was 3 1/2 quarters of sh!te on the offensive side of the ball.

The offense got a pulse when Reiners came in late and made some plays (sound familiar). We may have won the game if he'd have started.

About 11 months later, Iowa announced its new head coach.

Reactions: Bruceman44
Maybe not 1998, but it's not far off of December 31, 1997, the date of the Iowa Sun Bowl loss to ASU.

Hayden stubbornly started his injured senior to play the game, and the result was 3 1/2 quarters of sh!te on the offensive side of the ball.

The offense got a pulse when Reiners came in late and made some plays (sound familiar). We may have won the game if he'd have started.

About 11 months later, Iowa announced its new head coach.

Fry admitted later he should have retired after that year.

Oh well. I cant be mad at him.

Absolute coaching malfeasance by Kirk on the offensive side of ball. Just look at the recruiting and player “development” over the past three seasons and objectively ask yourself (1) where this staff has earned its paychecks and (2) which groups give you optimism going into next season:

Tight end group = one of the best in the nation and doesn’t get enough credit for blocking effectively

Running back group = meh. Some potential but Johnson wasn’t himself this year. Williams certainly had some bright moments this year.

Quarterbacks = worst in the country

Offensive line = worst in the country

Wide receivers = worst in the country
Don’t forget those embarrassing non existent safetys ... and those soft Dlinemen
A real schedule and this team is 4-8, just like last year
35-0
26-0
31-0
54-10
28-10
42-3
vs teams with actual talent past few years.
Not even competitive.

Absolute coaching malfeasance by Kirk on the offensive side of ball. Just look at the recruiting and player “development” over the past three seasons and objectively ask yourself (1) where this staff has earned its paychecks and (2) which groups give you optimism going into next season:

Tight end group = one of the best in the nation and doesn’t get enough credit for blocking effectively

Running back group = meh. Some potential but Johnson wasn’t himself this year. Williams certainly had some bright moments this year.

Agreed! No one is coming in the recruiting classes who can save the sinking ship.

Agree, the entire OLine could leave and no one would miss them.

Multi year starters that haven't improved, and in some cases, have regressed.

Imagine how pathetic the backups must be. And one portal guy that never saw the field.
Are we suppose to take their word for it because I don’t believe a word they say with back ups based upon years of playing the wrong players in 25 plus years.

Reactions: SCKCtb93
I’m probably one of the few, but I think this group of OL could be good with a different position coach and OC.

I have zero doubt that those coaches are out there and attainable. I have much doubt that we’ll end up with any of them.

We showed zero improvement the entire season. We were dogcrap offensively from game 1 to 14. I have no faith Kirk has the answers for this.
Nor should you. The only hope is that by some miracle Cade comes back healthy and Kirk hires an OC with the latitude to make some changes. In lieu of both of those occurring, the Iowa offense will again be one of the worst in the nation.

If people are happy with 7-8-9 win seasons and occasionally 10 win seasons (which KF seems to) then not much will change. With no more divisions it will be harder for everyone to make the B1G championship.

Since the East vs West championship no B1G champ has been worse then 25th in OFF efficiency. If you look at all playoff teams since inception I only found 3 that were worse then 20th in OFF efficiency (worst was 42). Most teams DEF efficiency was top 30 as well. All offensives at all levels are changing to RPO or QBs that can move.

It takes a great offense and a good/ above avg defense to win championships. Iowa has the DEF they just need the OFF.

Reactions: hoythawk and AEG82
Yeah, the OL remains a huge problem. It needs to be blown up but there’s nobody better in the program. I highly doubt we can solve that problem via the portal. This year, Feth was average at best and Parker didn’t even play.

Highly ironic that our HC’s forte has become such a disaster.
Unfortunately it’s very difficult to find high quality OL men in the portal. Or at least one’s willing to come to Iowa.

Are we suppose to take their word for it because I don’t believe a word they say with back ups based upon years of playing the wrong players in 25 plus years.
What I think happens are guys like DeJong are taking schollies that could actually be used for younger players that could actually contribute.
We hear stories about KF having discussions with guys about going pro and advising them accordingly.
Would he not also have discussions with a penalty prone upperclassmen that isn't even a starter?

The problem is, just like this year, KF will have very good feelings about the OL experience we have coming back and will be optimistic. There is no development of this line. We will likely have 3 and 4 year starters not get drafted. That says an awful lot.
This line desperately needs just 1 ass kicker somewhere so they can shuffle around the next best 4 but unfortunately they don't have it. Once again I will say the last half of the year I thought our run game was more consistent with Elsbury on the field over Jones but it seems like this staff just desperately wants the Logan Jones project to work over actual production.
My last issue is if Dunker isn't hurt then whoever has the idea to rotate Dejong in at Tackle needs to be takin for a drive to middle of nowhere.

If people are happy with 7-8-9 win seasons and occasionally 10 win seasons (which KF seems to) then not much will change. With no more divisions it will be harder for everyone to make the B1G championship.

Since the East vs West championship no B1G champ has been worse then 25th in OFF efficiency. If you look at all playoff teams since inception I only found 3 that were worse then 20th in OFF efficiency (worst was 42). Most teams DEF efficiency was top 30 as well. All offensives at all levels are changing to RPO or QBs that can move.

It takes a great offense and a good/ above avg defense to win championships. Iowa has the DEF they just need the OFF.

The overall win/loss record the last 3 years has been very good. However, we have been completely uncompetitive against the best teams on our schedule and that is a significant departure from the prior 20 seasons in the Ferentz-era. We used to always be able to keep it close and have a puncher’s chance against anyone.

The offense is simply hopeless, and I have significant doubts that there’s going to be any significant change with the next OC Ferentz hires.

Brian has destroyed our quarterback and receiving rooms. Maybe one of the young qbs will be good but we will never see it. If we are counting on Cade staying healthy and not having a contingency plan like we didn’t have this year, that’s a problem. The line is as bad as it’s been this century.

Reactions: SCKCtb93 and GHawk

Your ratings are correct except for running backs. KalebJ was dinged some this year but if you put Kaleb, Leshon, or Jaz on teams with really good run blocking OLines and they would all be well above avg.

The recruiting and coaching has to have been very poor for your last 3 personnel groups. Kirk's offense has always been a challenge to recruit top WRs but we usually have a couple of above avg receivers, close to NFL quality. The last NFL quality receiver we had I Chuck Sizzle who went and caught a million passes at Purdue because he was evaluated as 2nd string at Iowa and who is now playing for the Bengals.

That should tell you a lot about the hawk coaches evaluating and coaching the passing game, which is totally hind tit in the pecking order

To be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed with Cade in the first place. It wasn’t like we were lighting anyone up when he was playing.
Cade had the same problem as other recent qbs which is too much pressure in his face, anemic run game, so no real defensive bite on play action, weak and slower WR group.

Cade threw that first TD pass of the year great, he made other really good passes, but had to move around the pocket too much.

I agree with others that Cade might not even be ready to play or last very long in 2024. So we need Marco to prove he has the passing tools, we dont want Hill unless he changes his windup and gets way more accurate, or a new qb is ready to go,

Your critiquing him when he had his 3 rd string QB, and receiving core? U can’t be that dmb?
Is no one else curious who our second string qb is/was if we were playing our 3rd string qb?
Cade got hurt and we played hill the rest of the year. Did we have some other qb hurt the entire year that I somehow missed. Pretty sure Spencer was never supposed to play or be considered this past year.
So who was 2nd string?

To be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed with Cade in the first place. It wasn’t like we were lighting anyone up when he was playing.
Agree, but he wasn’t healthy.

On the flip side, that’s now 2 straight seasons ended by significant leg injuries, so his ability to stay healthy going forward has to be very much in question.

Lol, where did I say it wasn't?

Calling the cupboards "bare" after a 10-4 season and comparing it to the end of the Fry era is still complete dumbshittery lol
Speaking strictly from a talent standpoint how many of Iowa’s offensive starters do you believe would start at a program like Wisconsin?

Why has the offense performed so poorly the past three seasons? Is it scheme, injuries, coaching, lack of talent, players failing to execute, other? We probably disagree on the reasons, but I acknowledge you know more about football than I.

Speaking strictly from a talent standpoint how many of Iowa’s offensive starters do you believe would start at a program like Wisconsin?

Why has the offense performed so poorly the past three seasons? Is it scheme, injuries, coaching, lack of talent, players failing to execute, other? We probably disagree on the reasons, but I acknowledge you know more about football than I.
I would say both Erick All and Luke Lachey would be the only guys to start at Wisconsin. Iowa has stud running backs but Wisconsin does too. Receivers, maybe Kaleb Brown, maybe. Oline and quarterback, no way.

Ferentz is an average at best coach that was lucky enough to have Parker, and a program that gives life time contracts. He was exposed the last 3 years with our bad OLines. He somehow got the rep of being a good Oline coach but the proof says otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT