ADVERTISEMENT

The missed Out of Bounds call Cost WI the Na'tl Championship

OnceAhawk

HR MVP
Jan 29, 2015
When you blow it up, the ball was clearly off Puke; should have been WI's ball; instead, Jones then went and hit a 3 pointer

This post was edited on 4/6 10:21 PM by OnceAhawk

It doesn't take much to totally change the outcome of these games.

Higgins and others were paid for by DUKE that's all. Imagine if it was IA, Higgins would be on a Hawk fan's hit list.

Originally posted by ISPHawk:
Changed the whole game. How did they miss that??
Posted from Rivals Mobile
my gawd, they blew the video up to show the Puke's fingers touching the ball

I thought HD video would help; i guess not

what was the score on that play? should have been WI's ball, out of bounds; gawd, glad that didnt happen to Iowa

Wow, that was some terrible officiating. How do you miss a call that the entire country can see on replay? Poor officiating much of the game. Refs were rewarding Duke for diving into the lane. No concern about getting a foul called (Winslow).

Originally posted by Arizona_Hawks:
Plus the kid was out of bounds on the other end.
can you give the details on this? i forget; did Okafer then score (when he should not have)

Too thin of a margin for these calls to not make the difference. Duke continues to get the calls. That whole second half was a joke. Duke was in the double bonus the last 10 min and Wisconsin never got to it. Winslow had 3 or 4 fouls not called in the 2nd half and Okafor should've fouled out twice. The officials were the difference in the game. They could've made the difference the other way also. That's how close this game was.

Yeah, there were about 3 calls that I thought were bad in the last 5 minutes:

-Winslow charges a guy backing up and hands straight up, called a blocking foul.
-Winslow steps out of bounds, not seen.
-Winslow fingertips the ball out of bounds, not seen even with slow-mo replay.

Ummmm, the entire second half was called incredibly pro-Duke. That one play didn't have near the effect as the fact that Duke got bailed out of bad plays, where their player could have got a charge, and instead went to shoot free throws repeatedly.

Meanwhile, Duke could do anything on the other end without getting called for a foul.

Originally posted by BansheeX:

-Winslow charges a guy backing up and hands straight up, called a blocking foul.
Badger fans have to be sick; this was their year; its crazy to think that only freshman scored for Duke in the 2nd half

Kaminsky, Gasser, Dukan, Jackson all graduate; I wonder if Dekker will leave early (hope so!)

ALL[/B] the calls went Dukes way when it mattered.

It was obvious the refs were not going to give Winslow his 4th regardless how out of control he was.

Tough break for Wisky but you do have to give credit to the Duke guards. Wisconsin had no answer to stop them when they were the only thing keeping Duke from getting buried. Great move by Duke when they got into foul trouble they turned the little guys loose to attack the basket and draw Wisconsin into their own foul trouble (double bonus).

Refs were bad in the 2nd half. What did duke get away with?

Two offensive charges
Ball off of Winslow
Mugging of Kaminsky
Allen was pushing off on every drive x 4

Originally posted by fecal particulate:
Originally posted by markfromj:
Yes, an entire game comes down to one call....give me a break!
So a close game with double digit lead changes can't come down to one call? Sure...
Correct. Every call in that game added to the result. No one call determined the outcome.

Originally posted by QChawks:
I see the Duke conspiracy folks are up late tonight.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
i hate both duke and Wisky; i am just pointing out that the refs went to review that call and it was clear the ball was off PUKE; the refs got the call WRONG, which happens; HOWEVER, they had the chance to use video replay, which showed the ball should have been awarded to WI; the refs told Jim Nance that there was not enough there to reverse the call.....Really????

so Duke gets the ball, goes down and hits a 3; HUGE HUGE turning point

This is the most naive statement that I ever hear people say.

If the entire game can be won on a last second shot, then yes an entire game can come down to one call.

As you said, it is an entire game, and if coaches expect players to play 40 minutes, if each missed free throw, each foul, each missed shot costs a team a game, then so does each missed foul, each miscalled foul, each no call of an officials.

Players win and lose games, and no matter what they do, the game hinges on the job that the officials do.

Are you forgetting Wisconsin's basket AFTER the shot clock had expired vs Kentucky? I couldn't believe they missed that call tonight, but the officiating was horrible the entire final 4. There were still plenty of plays to be made out there to WIN the game.
Wisconsin was up 9 midway through the 2nd half...one call did not lose the game for them.

I totally agree with you that when the refs look at Duke they get stupified like they're some kind of super stars and they're little kids wanting an autograph.
Wisconsin was up by 9 points and starting to pull away then the refs start calling fouls in huge numbers. That was the difference.

Bo Ryan on the interview right now is very humble but is also very sad because his players had to play through mugging Duke basketball and getting screwed by the refs.

Bo just indirectly ripped the refs on the Duke hand checking that was not called

wait till he sees the video replays on these missed calls

Holy cow.... as an unbiased observer, the game was called pretty well. shut up you cry babies.

So a close game with double digit lead changes can't come down to one call? Sure...
Correct. Every call in that game added to the result. No one call determined the outcome.
When a game can be decided by the slimmest of margins of course one call can determine a game. It's only more magnified in the final minutes.

Originally posted by Emerald Street:
This is the most naive statement that I ever hear people say.

If the entire game can be won on a last second shot, then yes an entire game can come down to one call.
Okay, but which one call then? Why the one late in the game? Why not the one with 11 minutes to go in the first half? Were it not for that call, the one at the end of the game would not appear to have made all the difference.

See how they all are of equal importance?

When a game can be decided by the slimmest of margins of course one call can determine a game. It's only more magnified in the final minutes.
Exactly. But it is no more important than a hundred other calls.

You guys are ridiculous.

The ball was tipped by Winslow and should have been Wisconsin ball. I'll concede that but how can you not say right before that ball went out of bounds that Bronson should have been called for a foul. He hit Winslow right in the head.

Wisconsin tried to play too much one on one and that cost them this game. Plus they spent the whole game bitching and whining after every call instead of just playing basketball.

I would say the calls were in Duke's favor the 2nd half but they were in Wisconsin's favor in the first half. It all evened out but Wisconsin forgot how their offense operated. One on one with those guys was a losing battle.

Figures. Bo gives no credit to Duke or Duke's freshmen just taking over. Whine, whine. Not a heck of a lot for Bo to complain about. Duke's best player sat on the bench for probably over half of the game. You're up by 9. You lost it -- the refs didn't.
At least Duke's players face you and beat you. They don't butt their way in with their back to the basket every time just trying to draw a foul. Get over it Bo and all of you ongoing whiners about officiating. If Okafor plays the entire game, Wisc loses by 15.

11130165_605217926277071_6466578040127119965_n.jpg

Originally posted by BansheeX:

I though the first one was a charge as well.

The Winslow out of bounds, was he? They never really showed a replay but Raftery said he though the might have been. But right after that Okafur gets a layup and one and that AND ONE should have been an intentional foul. He made absolutely no play on the ball whatsoever.

The fingertip ball out on Winslow, was out on winslow but the Wisconsin kid Bronson something smacked him on the head right before that and it should have been a foul.

Tyus Jones and his whitey partner took that game over in the 2nd half and Wisconsin had no answer for it. While Okafur was out they should have been pounding it inside to Kaminksy and they chose to go one on one the last 10 minutes against better athletes.

I think I've finally figured it out. So simple. The home team or the team with the highest seed tend to get the calls.

No, Dan. The advantage in calls goes to the winning team when the person commenting on the officiating was for the losing team. That, taxes, and death are the only constants.

There were like 10 bad calls.

2 charges - not called
ball out on Duke
Duke player stepped on out of bounds line.
Allen 2 offensive fouls driving the lane with left arm pushing off - non calls.

The refs called the game that took Wisconsin out of the game. Wisky no longer able to drive the lane because they were getting mugged and refs not calling the fouls.
Duke driving the lane and getting automatic calls every single play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT