ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins enters the Transfer Portal

Perkins is a much better athlete and player than Moss. And Moss ended up at KU. Its ridiculous to think a guy who’s as athletic as him and a 3 year starter at a Power 6 school is not going to be hugely valuable in the portal.
I agree. I don’t think Tony is going to a Kansas or UConn and start. But a lot of good Power 6 schools are going to get him and start him.

Lol. So many coaches leave teams for better pastures but those players better not! Especially when he was only here for four years. How dare Perkins leave Iowa City!
Yeah some coaches hop around but not all. Fran has been here loyal to the university and players.
Just saying with the portal and NIL loyalty has changed things and loyalty is one of many.
College sports s turning into semi pro-business instead of getting a free education, room and board.
As I said in another thread, I don't think college sports can survive.

Reactions: LuteHawk
I mean how can Fran preach loyalty when we’ve dealt with his nepotism issues for the past however many seasons. His loyalty sure hasn’t been to the Iowa basketball program, so I don’t see how he expects all his players to be loyal to the program.
I think you're trying to say nepotism and Loyalty are the same and in my opinion they are not.

Reactions: DewHawk
Yeah some coaches hop around but not all. Fran has been here loyal to the university and players.
Just saying with the portal and NIL loyalty has changed things and loyalty is one of many.
College sports s turning into semi pro-business instead of getting a free education, room and board.
As I said in another thread, I don't think college sports can survive.
How does the European model work? Don't they have "clubs" instead of university teams? I could see a hybrid evolving where players play for a University but don't actually attend school there (unless they want to) and are paid by the Club. The Club could license the school's name.

Last edited:
How does the European model work. Don't they have "clubs" instead of university teams? I could see a hybrid evolving where players play for a University but don't actually attend school there (unless they want to) and are paid by the Club. The Club could license the school's name.
Don't have a clue. Sorry but I don't care about the clubs.
College sports as it stands and where it goes from here

I mean who knows. That Cam Spencer dude wasn't anything special at Rutgers. Look at him now at UCONN. Moss went to Kansas...
This exactly. KU's 6th man this year was Nick Timberlake, a transfer from Towson State. He was terrible.

So, for now, the incoming team (including non-scholarship) consists of 12 white guys out of 14. Kind of bizarre to think about that.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
So he wasn’t 2nd team All Big Ten? You’re telling me a guy who’s one of the top 10 players in the Big Ten will be a backup at another Power 6 school? You are absolutely nuts. Guess we will see how it all plays out.
If he was on a better team he wouldn't have sniffed the minutes he received at Iowa. 2nd team was a gift to Iowa in a down year in Big10.

How does the European model work. Don't they have "clubs" instead of university teams? I could see a hybrid evolving where players play for a University but don't actually attend school there (unless they want to) and are paid by the Club. The Club could license the school's name.
🤔

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Perkins is a much better athlete and player than Moss. And Moss ended up at KU. Its ridiculous to think a guy who’s as athletic as him and a 3 year starter at a Power 6 school is not going to be hugely valuable in the portal.
Moss was a better shooter & defender than Perkins ever thought about being. And he was every bit as athletic & better ball handler. So there's that...

Reactions: onionman1
Tony's gone, let's not keep feeding this thread. Thanks for being a Hawkeye. But..
What's the upside?
He's dead to me... especially if he goes to another Big10 (Indiana) team.
Looking to the future.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Moss was a better shooter & defender than Perkins ever thought about being. And he was every bit as athletic & better ball handler. So there's that...
I don't even know where to start. Moss could do one thing and one thing only, shoot the 3. He couldn't dribble and he certainly couldn't guard anyone. He averaged 8 points for his career and was a 40% overall shooter. 37% from the arc. While his career average is only a little over 9 points he was 14-4-4 this year. You're correct about not being a 3 point shooter. Not his forte. Moss was basically a stand and shoot 3 point shooter and that was it.

I think you're trying to say nepotism and Loyalty are the same and in my opinion they are not.

Not the same, but nepotism is a character flaw just as loyalty is mostly a positive. Fran when he recruited the player's outside his family had an ethical duty to play the best player's based on merit--not DNA. I'm sure in Fran's mind his two boys were great players and he thinks he did maximize Iowa wins by playing CMAC over Keegan and PMAC over Kris. Fran lacked objectivity.

A lot of people loved CMAC's game. Early on some of those same CMAC fans were projecting him as an a future MLB level base ball players. PMAC was widely thought to be a promising prospect early in his career. There have been a lot of bad takes exaggerating how talented the two boys were. Thankfully the era of nepotism is past.

How does the European model work? Don't they have "clubs" instead of university teams? I could see a hybrid evolving where players play for a University but don't actually attend school there (unless they want to) and are paid by the Club. The Club could license the school's name.

I agree we need a rational rethinking of the system.

Clubs or professional sports teams or whatever you want to call it--- it is professional B-ball which is what USA Div1 Basketball is now.

Iowa has students that are in clubs that play things that aren't sponsored by the Athletic Department like men's hockey, etc. Those are for sports that don't make enough money to pay for their own expenses like coaches, scholarships, travel, etc . That seems like true student-athlete model..

WE do need some type of Hybrid model for high revenue sports but it seems like it would likely take Title9 reform/congressional action to get around the free for all that the Supreme court ruling set up.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I don't even know where to start. Moss could do one thing and one thing only, shoot the 3. He couldn't dribble and he certainly couldn't guard anyone. He averaged 8 points for his career and was a 40% overall shooter. 37% from the arc. While his career average is only a little over 9 points he was 14-4-4 this year. You're correct about not being a 3 point shooter. Not his forte. Moss was basically a stand and shoot 3 point shooter and that was it.
Moss played b-ball, football & soccer in Chicago. Also scored 19 points in 96 seconds against Minny one year. Another player Fran didn't utilize to his strengths. More than a stand and shoot player.

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
Super.

So Perkins isn't done, he's just done with Iowa. Either our NIL for hoops sucks (no secret, I guess) and they can't retain players, or he's not happy at Iowa. I assume it's mostly the former, not as much the latter, but either way, the current state of affairs doesn't inspire a lot of hope with me regarding Iowa men's hoops. :(

the rumor is Tony is looking for a $300,000 payday

cc: @TheTruthTheWholeTruth

I am behind on target news, and maybe not knowing was better. I have generally been a supporter of Fran, but he needs to do some soul searching to see if he can figure out why most of the Black players he brings to his program leave early. I hope Perkins is the last guy leaving, because we already have a huge void to fill at guard...

Reactions: littlez
Best of luck to Tony and thanks for some great memories. With that said, I will loose some respect for him if he goes to Nebraska or Indiana.
Pure speculation but I have a feeling Tony will try to stay close to home/family in Indy and end up in the Big East. DePaul will be rebuilding. Xavier and Butler both have rosters full of transfer guards so that may be a landing spot as well.

Apparently there are programs who value Tony more than some Hawkeye fans.
Not a bad list of schools.

Opinions on this board are always all over the place. Tony's value will be set by the Free market and seems like $200K or more would be enough based on rumor a decent PG is $200K, I think Freeman, Dix, Payton all would have some value around $100 to $200K level.

We needed a go fund me to raise NIL for Tony, but without high level support and leadership in UI basketball circles, nothing can be done. I donated some to Swarm...they don't say how much goes to Bball....who knows, maybe 10 or 20 percent. Not enough. I don't see the money ISU is raising as Big money...but they do apparently have better leadership or richer donors. It is unclear whether that ISU Billionaire in the farm seed business is a benefactor.

The only B1G program that seems to have their act together was Ohio State in Football with $14 million NIL budget...basketball is 2nd fiddle there, but sure they have a lot more NIL for Bball than Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Opinions on this board are always all over the place. Tony's value will be set by the Free market and seems like $200K or more would be enough based on rumor a decent PG is $200K, I think Freeman, Dix, Payton all would have some value around $100 to $200K level.

We needed a go fund me to raise NIL for Tony, but without high level support and leadership in UI basketball circles, nothing can be done. I donated some to Swarm...they don't say how much goes to Bball....who knows, maybe 10 or 20 percent. Not enough. I don't see the money ISU is raising as Big money...but they do apparently have better leadership or richer donors. It is unclear whether that ISU Billionaire in the farm seed business is a benefactor.

The only B1G program that seems to have their act together was Ohio State in Football with $14 million NIL budget...basketball is 2nd fiddle there, but sure they have a lot more NIL for Bball than Iowa.
85 schollies in football versus 15 in basketball. 20% to basketball would seem about right. But what about the other sports? Wrestling, women's basketball, baseball, etc...

It’s kind of ironic, UNI gets AJ Green to play at UNI under his dad as an assistant coach. AJ becomes one of the greatest players in school history.
Drake gets Tucker Devries to play under his dad. Tucker becomes one of the greatest players in school history.
Creighton gets Doug Mcdermott to play under his dad. Doug becomes the greatest player in school history.
And then you have Iowa, and that speaks for itself.

Tony had some terrific games for the Hawks over the years and like everyone on the team, some stinkers. It happens, Watching him hit the glass from his guard position created more opportunities and made the difference a quite a few games. Too bad others didn’t have his tenacity when it came to rebounding.

I wish him well, wherever he ends up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT