ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins enters the Transfer Portal

It’s kind of ironic, UNI gets AJ Green to play at UNI under his dad as an assistant coach. AJ becomes one of the greatest players in school history.
Drake gets Tucker Devries to play under his dad. Tucker becomes one of the greatest players in school history.
Creighton gets Doug Mcdermott to play under his dad. Doug becomes the greatest player in school history.
And then you have Iowa, and that speaks for itself.
Speaks for itself? The only thing it says is that the mccaffery’s were average players, not as good as the three great players you just cherry picked.*

Plenty of other coaches sons were just decent.
  • Sam Hoiberg (averages 3.4 pts but plays 20 minutes a game!!!)
  • Jace Howard
  • Avery Johnson Jr
  • Max Rice (Boise)
*also worth noting that the three players you mentioned all played in the mid-major Missouri Valley conference. McDermott only played one season in the Big East. They are all very very good, but MVC competition certainly helped their stats

Speaks for itself? The only thing it says is that the mccaffery’s were average players, not as good as the three great players you just cherry picked.*

Plenty of other coaches sons were just decent.
  • Sam Hoiberg (averages 3.4 pts but plays 20 minutes a game!!!)
  • Jace Howard
  • Avery Johnson Jr
  • Max Rice (Boise)
*also worth noting that the three players you mentioned all played in the mid-major Missouri Valley conference. McDermott only played one season in the Big East. They are all very very good, but MVC competition certainly helped their stats
Don’t leave out Sam’s offensive rebounding stats! Honestly, if the McCaffrey’s were just average players and played those type of minutes, no one would have a problem with it. Listen I like Pmac, he did the best he could. But the situation was never handled well.

Opinions on this board are always all over the place. Tony's value will be set by the Free market and seems like $200K or more would be enough based on rumor a decent PG is $200K, I think Freeman, Dix, Payton all would have some value around $100 to $200K level.

We needed a go fund me to raise NIL for Tony, but without high level support and leadership in UI basketball circles, nothing can be done. I donated some to Swarm...they don't say how much goes to Bball....who knows, maybe 10 or 20 percent. Not enough. I don't see the money ISU is raising as Big money...but they do apparently have better leadership or richer donors. It is unclear whether that ISU Billionaire in the farm seed business is a benefactor.

The only B1G program that seems to have their act together was Ohio State in Football with $14 million NIL budget...basketball is 2nd fiddle there, but sure they have a lot more NIL for Bball than Iowa.
It is kind of a circle at this point. Iowa BB needs more NIL to compete, fans might not want to give money to the current coaching staff based on how the funds might be utilized and the current state of the program. Maybe fans would give money to the Swarm if a new coach is in place, they might not.

ISU NIL does not have better leadership, that is for certain

Seems Iowa is kind of stuck right now, average coach that has been here 14 years, apathy. Needs NIL to compete, but, apathy.

As others have noted, Iowa FB is competing with a smaller group of schools, BB is competing with a lot of schools that don't have football.

The only option may be a new coaching staff, which is where a lot of Iowa fans are at in regards to the program

It is kind of a circle at this point. Iowa BB needs more NIL to compete, fans might not want to give money to the current coaching staff based on how the funds might be utilized and the current state of the program. Maybe fans would give money to the Swarm if a new coach is in place, they might not.
fify

I don't think it is fair to compare Connor to Patrick. Connor played more than he should have in Keegan's freshman year, and not well because he was not healthy. In Connor's last two years, I believe he was a very important team player, and was clearly the team leader on and off the court. In many ways, Connor was the opposite of Patrick on the court. He was tough as nails, and was very much involved in all aspects of the game.

Reactions: LukaDuka
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT