ADVERTISEMENT

Update on OC (new thread)

So at this point, are we banking for Johns at this point? Seems guys like Eickholt are, at least. There's been so many rumors and speculation that I'm more or less over it.
A couple of his sources say a slight adv to Johns, a couple say slight adv to Lester. He is leaning (or hoping) it is Johns.....I wouldn't bank on anything yet. Lester news is not going over very well on any platform

John’s obviously may happen. I just can’t believe KF would meet with him in such a nondescript public place if he wasn’t the leading candidate. Or had already accepted. But with KF you never know.
Kirk has no concept of deception in his offense. “ Just need to execute better”. Why would he feel any need for deception in the hiring of his offensive coordinator.

John’s obviously may happen. I just can’t believe KF would meet with him in such a nondescript public place if he wasn’t the leading candidate. Or had already accepted. But with KF you never know.
KF isn't sexy, lucky he didnt meet him at Hardee's on the strip for BOGO deal.

• Haha
Reactions: BirdistheWord
So at this point, are we banking for Johns at this point? Seems guys like Eickholt are, at least. There's been so many rumors and speculation that I'm more or less over it.
Cashed out on caring about 5 days ago. Will probably see it on a bottom line somewhere before here.

this hiring climax is exactly how iowa wins games. 1 minute to go, deacon throws INT. huskers have the ball. then hurkett intercepts. Iowa wins.
Kevin Johns and Lester somebody are finalists. 1 day to go. One journo says it's johns, other says lester. fans dropping left and right from heart attacks. for god sake, kirck, lock in johns. let some of us live.

Reactions: cm8124
Reports are out now that Johns has been in IC a couple of days. Met with other coaches and team today after breakfast. It’s Johns
If they've gone to all that trouble already, why did they not announce today? idk.. hope its true, looks like he's the best left-over choice.

Reactions: Ad-Hawk
If they've gone to all that trouble already, why did they not announce today? idk.. hope its true, looks like he's the best left-over choice.
I suppose he could be offered and accepted, but still have Ts to cross, and Is to dot?

Yep. Screaming idgaf what you fans think, I'll burn the legacy before satisfying you schmucks that got my son fired.
That's one angle...but I'm beginning to think he really just doesn't get it. He's so locked in to what he learned 40 years ago that he's oblivious to what today's landscape looks like. That is the KFz conundrum. While he's rock solid on some concepts which he holds on to... he hangs on to other things which are way overdue for an adjustment or modernization.
The fact that he surrounds himself with "yes men" only exacerbates that as there's nobody to tell him..."Hey, Kirk...you need to adjust". Combine that with a dipshit AD that licked his shoes for 17 years and enabled that...and you get where we are now.

Last edited:
That's one angle...but I'm beginning to think he really just doesn't get it. He's so locked in to what he learned 40 years ago that he's oblivious to what today's landscape looks like. That is the KFz conundrum. While he's rock solid on some concepts which he holds on to... he hangs on to other things which are way overdue for an adjustment or modernization.
That face that he surrounds himself with "yes men" only exacerbates that as there's nobody to tell him..."Hey, Kirk...you need to adjust". Combine that with a dipshit AD that licked his shoes for 17 years and enabled that...and you get where we are now.
yeah, he is only going to change so much. He is so risk averse that it influences just about every facet of strategy. We don’t even recruit much (I said much) in the southeast as an example. Too many guys have not panned out I guess. We choose “pro style” qb’s but don’t ask them to make pro type throws and certainly don’t have pro type receivers.

The Stanley years were pretty good but the fall off after that was a perfect storm that actually dictated a more risk averse scheme if that is even possible.

Petras had a big arm, but had below average accuracy, and zero ability to make off schedule plays. Combine that with arguably KF’s worst O line and poor wr play/injuries and things got ugly fast. Fast forward to Deacon and it somehow got worse.

Labas looked good enough to move the offense and provide a viable threat to run. And Lainez had a lot of work to do with his passing but why not plug him in 3-4 times per game. It would at least keep the defense guessing for once.

KF needs a minimum level of talent or the wheels fall off because we don’t adapt or innovate play calling.

Once Cade, Lacey and All went down, we went from terrible to awful.

I would love to be wrong but I don’t think we will see enough total change to make much of an impact. We might crack the top 100 offenses but it still doesn’t make us competitive against elite teams. We need a reset.

KF is telling the OC's this is as advanced as you can get with our offense:

quw01N.gif
All about execution.

Reactions: kafter5
yeah, he is only going to change so much. He is so risk averse that it influences just about every facet of strategy. We don’t even recruit much (I said much) in the southeast as an example. Too many guys have not panned out I guess. We choose “pro style” qb’s but don’t ask them to make pro type throws and certainly don’t have pro type receivers.

The Stanley years were pretty good but the fall off after that was a perfect storm that actually dictated a more risk averse scheme if that is even possible.

Petras had a big arm, but had below average accuracy, and zero ability to make off schedule plays. Combine that with arguably KF’s worst O line and poor wr play/injuries and things got ugly fast. Fast forward to Deacon and it somehow got worse.

Labas looked good enough to move the offense and provide a viable threat to run. And Lainez had a lot of work to do with his passing but why not plug him in 3-4 times per game. It would at least keep the defense guessing for once.

KF needs a minimum level of talent or the wheels fall off because we don’t adapt or innovate play calling.

Once Cade, Lacey and All went down, we went from terrible to awful.

I would love to be wrong but I don’t think we will see enough total change to make much of an impact. We might crack the top 100 offenses but it still doesn’t make us competitive against elite teams. We need a reset.
Kirk wants a team of hard working good old fashioned football players. Kids that say “Yes, sir! And give their all even if their performance stinks”

Especially at QB

Any player that shows a little attitude or improvisation….they have their work cut out for them to get playing time.

So we see a JVB take every single snap in a 4 win season

Stanley take every snap (tho he clearly was best option)

Petreas take every snap
Hill take every snap

While i don’t want to see a repeat of the “city boyz “ bullshit and harm they did….for Iowa to get better players they have to be allowed to show a little personality outside of their head coach

Outside of winning on last second FG against the worst in the conference, does this team ever look like they’re having fun ? The defense seems to be a little looser in their mannerism, but the offense always looks like they’re playing tight. Nothing is easy. 12 plays to move the ball 15 yards (cause there’s usually some penalties haha)

I don’t want a Coach Prime atmosphere but let the kids go out and play Kirk.

I bit more fun might help get the offense out of its rut.

I'm not so sure about that last sentence. Just cracking the top 100 might not cut it, but If we could have just been in the top half, we would have been REALLY good! Candies and nuts... I know!

Reactions: Birky

Still some university red tape stuff before it's officially official but it seems basically done. Probably a more definitive leak this weekend and then maybe an official announcement early next week

Still some university red tape stuff before it's officially official but it seems basically done. Probably a more definitive leak this weekend and then maybe an official announcement early next week
What do you make of the Lester stuff?

I posted the KXNO story. I felt Johns was the guy. I take Howe's comments with a grain of salt but felt it should be posted, just in case. I think Rob was the one saying Philbin early on, so I should have known better.

It makes sense to interview multiple guys for the job, I would guess they just wanted a backup plan in case the Johns interview didn't go well. Especially with junior day coming up they don't really have time to restart the whole thing again like they did when Chryst said no

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I posted the KXNO story. I felt Johns was the guy. I take Howe's comments with a grain of salt but felt it should be posted, just in case. I think Rob was the one saying Philbin early on, so I should have known better.
It was Harty who posted that Philbin would be getting the job.

Reactions: Ad-Hawk
I know a lot of people don't like him but I don't think Rob was wrong. Seems like they interviewed Lester and were impressed but are probably still going to go with Johns.

Reactions: IowaMuse
He doesn't fully buy in on the Kirk Ferentz Great Man myth which means being anti-Iowa if you've tied up a lot of self worth in Iowa being the most morally righteous program in football
I know hes your son, but please tell him to take a shower and use soap. Thanks Mrs. Howe.

He doesn't fully buy in on the Kirk Ferentz Great Man myth which means being anti-Iowa if you've tied up a lot of self worth in Iowa being the most morally righteous program in football
He was the idiot who f'in made those bs racial allegations a mountain out of a mole hill. Most people with a lick of common sense and not a mentally ill liberal knew that it was all bs. Some organizations have rules and if you want to be in good graces, employed you follow them. Doyle was a hardass, not a racist. Black people most of the time are always the victim and never the victor. I know this will trigger some snowflakes but who cares. Rob Howe is a woke POS. If the Iowa experience is so bad for minorities then why would Abdul Hodge and Ladell Betts come back to be assistant coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT