ADVERTISEMENT

Update on the new O-line coach

DEMGR

All-Conference
Jul 17, 2020
Waiting impatiently for that much needed headline............ SOON!

brian regan what GIF

I’d hope a new OC hire will be able to bring in his own people but we know that isn’t going to happen based off of KF saying George Barnett is a very good coach. Unfortunately, he isn’t going anywhere.

Now with Tommy Rees, probably the odd man out at Bama, I’d hope KF will contact him, try to get him on campus and turn the offense and all decisions with it over to him. If he is good enough for ND and Bama, he’s good enough for Iowa.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Kirk’s son might have had better chance to survive as his OC had he had found a better OL coach.

I give Barnett one more year. He has been working with guys he didn't necessarily recruit and by all accounts, we have a great OL bullpen coming up. Got to see some improvement this year though.

There is truth to this. A believe it when I see it situation.

I do feel the OL took a small step forward this year. Like real small, but a step nonetheless.
Yeah the running lanes seemed improved over previous recent years. But some of that was adjustment to using counters and not relying on zone blocking as much it seemed.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
I give Barnett one more year. He has been working with guys he didn't necessarily recruit and by all accounts, we have a great OL bullpen coming up. Got to see some improvement this year though.
Same thing will be said again this time next year - Us Iowa fans always willing to allow another year for the sake of continuity.

You don’t call for “some improvement” in a guy’s 4th season managing a group! Lol. Come on now. The low expectations and extreme patience just kills me.

Even less likely that Barnett is gone if Proctor rumors are true. It sounds like he really likes Barnett

Our offensive line will be better next year.

I'm not going to say how I know, but Barnett definitely did not make a good impression during KP's original recruitment.
Well thats interesting cause thats in direct contrast to what has been reported multiple times and as recently as tonight.

I would be willing to bet that the people reporting it weren't in the same room.

Edit: In spite of that, he will still come to Iowa.
Ok, that was going to be my question. Why would he originally commit to a program where he didnt care for his direct position coach, decommit and then presumably and admittedly by you commit back to the same program/coach? No reason to doubt you as you seem to have knowledge of the situation so just an honest question

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Ok, that was going to be my question. Why would he originally commit to a program where he didnt care for his direct position coach, decommit and then presumably and admittedly by you commit back to the same program/coach? No reason to doubt you as you seem to have knowledge of the situation so just an honest question
Wants to be closer to home.

Also, I want Barnett to be good, but I just don't see it. I coach 9th grade football, and Iowa's OL is worse at picking up stunts than good 9th grade teams. That's not just lack of talent.

Same thing will be said again this time next year - Us Iowa fans always willing to allow another year for the sake of continuity.

You don’t call for “some improvement” in a guy’s 4th season managing a group! Lol. Come on now. The low expectations and extreme patience just kills me.
There you go again, expecting competence and such from highly compensated people. Sheesh. Some people.

Ya know, it's a good thing Nebraska exhibited extreme patience with Scott Frost or they wouldn't be where they are today. That guy absolutely killed it in his 4th and 5th years.

What does it matter if he recruited them or not? He has worked with the same core of guys now for three years.

Wants to be closer to home.

Also, I want Barnett to be good, but I just don't see it. I coach 9th grade football, and Iowa's OL is worse at picking up stunts than good 9th grade teams. That's not just lack of talent.
Yeah there’s definitely some major struggles on the OL for sure. But I am thrilled that KP is coming back to help that out (as much as he can)

Thanks for the insight and info, much appreciated

Reactions: mthawkeyes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT