ADVERTISEMENT

WR coach 2024

ICHawk2440

HR All-State
Oct 27, 2018
I’m Assuming the new OC will handle QB coach. So outside of the program who would be a good hire to WR coach? What do you guys think?

Marvin McNutt but probably OC will bring in his guy.
Wonder who his guy would be. Presuming johns is the guy, I can’t find anyone he would bring with him. John Simon is only guy I could imagine and he’s an OC at grambling state. Zhon Burden stayed at Duke, he is a phenomenal WR coach. Will be interesting to see what happens

McNutt would be an embarrassing hire people are so weird about just assuming anyone who has every played here is qualified to coach. He's never coached about D3 or minor league arena football and not even for very long.

If they absolutely had to hire a former player Shumpert would make more sense but in all likelihood it will be someone from outside the program with a connection to the new OC

So now that we have our OC, also a QB guy, I would guess we get a WR coach. If ferentz promotes Budmyr I will be disgusted, so let’s throw out that option. Any idea on Lester’s coaching staffs that might have a decent WR coach? He has several good wideouts at Western Michigan.

So now that we have our OC, also a QB guy, I would guess we get a WR coach. If ferentz promotes Budmyr I will be disgusted, so let’s throw out that option. Any idea on Lester’s coaching staffs that might have a decent WR coach? He has several good wideouts at Western Michigan.
We went MAC for our OC.

Probably go DII or NAIA for a WR coach.

The moves we’re making to get better on offense have me excited.

Think Budmayr was promoted to WR coach

I’m Assuming the new OC will handle QB coach. So outside of the program who would be a good hire to WR coach? What do you guys think?
If the OC is the also the QB coach, then that "should" mean JB gets the axe and frees up some money to get a really good WR coach\RECRUITER!

Nothing says improve the WR room like sending Jon Boy into a WRs recruits home with His wealth of playing time and Coaching experience at the WR position , 5 Star WRs will be flocking to Kinnick .
I don't think lack of specific positional experience is as important outside of the QB room. I mean, Hodge seems to be doing OK as TE/FB coach, even though he was a linebacker. Back in the day, Chuck Long got his start in coaching as a DB coach, despite having played QB throughout his career.

That said, I think hiring Bud for the WR position would be a missed opportunity. With the open spot, you have a chance to bring in some new blood and some new ideas. You have a chance to bring in a strong recruiter, and to help keep the staff diverse.

If KF thinks Bud is doing a good job, fine -- keep him at his current position. He's certainly is making good money there. But use the open position to hire another good coach.

I don't think lack of specific positional experience is as important outside of the QB room. I mean, Hodge seems to be doing OK as TE/FB coach, even though he was a linebacker. Back in the day, Chuck Long got his start in coaching as a DB coach, despite having played QB throughout his career.

That said, I think hiring Bud for the WR position would be a missed opportunity. With the open spot, you have a chance to bring in some new blood and some new ideas. You have a chance to bring in a strong recruiter, and to help keep the staff diverse.

If KF thinks Bud is doing a good job, fine -- keep him at his current position. He's certainly is making good money there. But use the open position to hire another good coach.
Iowa and it's offense have more than the normal number of hurdles to overcome, getting a experienced WR Coach preferably who has played the position I think would be the move to make as opposed to wonder Boy. But that is just Me, I understand Coaching crossovers can work like Hodge but Hodge as a LB interacted with the TE position often on the field and I would say LBs and safeties probably understand the TE position well since it is a big responsibility to defend . Same with QB and DBs ect. I think most will feel like us that Iowa should bring in the WR Coach from outside the Program

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Didn't see the duplicate thread, but they really need to target an NFL guy. If they went cheap AF on the OC, there is money there.

Umm yes, it is. Especially considering how awful our WR room is season after season.

Good lord - you’d think Kirk would know he should hire a once-accomplished receiver to coach that position group.

Hire guys that have a specialty, then (genius thought incoming..) have them teach their goddamn specialty.

Umm yes, it is. Especially considering how awful our WR room is season after season.

Good lord - you’d think Kirk would know he should hire a once-accomplished receiver to coach that position group.

Hire guys that have a specialty, then (genius thought incoming..) have them teach their goddamn specialty.
Abdul Hodge is coaching the TEs and FBs

So fire Hodge too?

In 2012, Greg Davis was allowed to bring in WR coach Bobby Kennedy to have another voice to explain Davis's offense. We could see the same thing now.

Abdul Hodge is coaching the TEs and FBs
I’m aware of that.

We have talented TEs - recruits that arrive to Iowa with higher-level ability at the position…Not a ton of teaching needed… Mainly physical bulking in the weight room for most.

And our FBs are out there but they don’t do shit.

Then there is the WR talent - a room badly in need of ACTUAL coaching and instruction. Our WRs don’t get open and drop too many balls. Insert a real WR position coach. It’s rocket science, I know.

So fire Hodge too?
You goofs seriously don’t understand how badly we need to have some WRs that play decent P5 football?

You don’t get that a real WR coach would likely be very, very beneficial for the jokers we call the wide receivers? Give me a break. They need legitimate instruction.

You goofs seriously don’t understand how badly we need to have some WRs that play decent P5 football?

You don’t get that a real WR coach would likely be very, very beneficial for the jokers we call the wide receivers? Give me a break. They need legitimate instruction.
I agree that in Iowa's specific case, a coach with specific experience coaching WRs would be beneficial.

I was just speaking that in general terms, guys who have most of their experience in one area can still be competent in another area.

But I also noted that Iowa would be missing an opportunity if they hire Bud as WR coach, for a number of reasons. In no way was I advocating for that move.

I think we mostly agree on this, no?

I agree that in Iowa's specific case, a coach with specific experience coaching WRs would be beneficial.

I was just speaking that in general terms, guys who have most of their experience in one area can still be competent in another area.

But I also noted that Iowa would be missing an opportunity if they hire Bud as WR coach, for a number of reasons. In no way was I advocating for that move.

I think we mostly agree on this, no?
Yes, seems we mostly agree.

And seeing this is a thread about WRs, let’s go ahead and discontinue the “but Abdul Hodge coaches TEs” or “Wallace coaches LBs” stuff.

We’re talking receivers.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Our best WR years happened when Kirk hired Soup from UM

Kennedy wasn’t horrible but we saw a dip in production. Possibly more to do with the scheme

Kirk will do the opposite of what makes sense here

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Kirk hired Polasek to be our O-line coach with no prior experience and that worked out so well that our o-line hasn’t been good since. Might as well hire a wr coach with no experience so he can screw that up worse than it is now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT