ADVERTISEMENT

You just saw the ceiling of Iowa bball with McCaffrey as coach

Frans 2 foul 1H mandatory benching leads to poor 1h defense.
Frans insistence on starting 4 guards leads to poorer defense.
Frans refusal to play defenders over offensive leads to poor defensive outcomes.

I HATE the two foul rule. There has to be some give in it if the game flow dictates it but he simply won’t bend.

Reactions: KcTo
If Iowa were smart and the AD was dialed in they would have hired a more balanced coach that could and would recruit the Chicago/Minneapolis/Detroit area's much better. The occasional Iowa kid that is good is fine but the larger urban area's are where the great athlete's are. I have not heard Iowa even mentioned for the top rated kids in the Omaha area. 1 has already committed to Wisconsin. Both of the MCaffery's seem to have been way over rated in HS. Neither appears to be B1G talent...JMO Neither 1 of them has an outside shot nor do they appear to be real athletic. Neither 1 of them would play much for a top tier power conference team.
You really think Patrick was over rated? I'm no hoops expert but he looks to be like he's pretty good at basketball and pretty athletic.

You really think Patrick was over rated? I'm no hoops expert but he looks to be like he's pretty good at basketball and pretty athletic.
Agree, I think Patrick will get stronger, and if he can continue to improve his 3 point shooting, he could be a problem for others. We need athletic guards who are tough on D to go with him. I have no idea what we are going to do at Center.
I love Nunge, but he's a good off the bench guy, and who knows if he can stay healthy. We have to hit the transfer market hard.

Reactions: Hawkdome
At what point do we just say this is the ceiling of Iowa basketball, regardless of who the coach is? I know that sounds dramatic, but maybe we need a different AD who can find someone to get us through that Round of 32 ceiling. Unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon. Probably going to struggle on the bubble or worse for awhile. Hope I'm wrong.

Fran is going to go down as the all time leader in wins as at Iowa coach. He will have recruited and coached the all time leading scorer, assist leader and 3 point shooter in Iowa history. He has recruited and coached all Americans, all BIG performers, all freshman players while consistently running an offense that is interesting and fun to watch. Dr Tom was run off for not getting us to the next level and we got Alfraud and Lick to follow up and Fran had to dig us out of the hole. I like the way recruiting is looking and the future for the Hawks looks bright to me.

Last edited:
Fran is going to go down as the all time leader in wins as an Iowa coach. He will have recruited and coached the all time leading scorer, assist leader and 3 point shooter in Iowa history. He has recruited and coached all Americans, all BIG performers, all freshman players while consistently running an offense that is interesting and fun to watch. Dr Tom was run off for not getting us to the next level and we got Alfraud and Lick to follow up and Fran had to dig us out of the hole. I like the way recruiting is looking and the future for the Hawks looks bright to me.

Really? It is not as if he is beating out Wooden's records or something. If you coach somewhere forever, you are probably going to get some records. I am not knocking your opinion, glad you feel that way. I just do not see anything different in terms of recruiting, etc. Fran struck oil with LG, but to my knowledge there isn't another LG on the roster. And even with the NPOY he got bounced in rd of 32 and did not even make the semis of the BTT. Both games bowed out in convincing fashion. So I am not seeing the light where all of a sudden we are going to stop trying to actually execute the Hickory plan on an annual basis.

Reactions: Hawkdome
I think Joe T, Ulis, Perkins and Josh O seem like potential upgrades in athleticism over past recruits. I get that why people are upset with Fran, I have been too. But he is a good coach and he's going to be around until his last kid leaves. I think all the teeth gnashing and pointing out we've reached our ceiling is not useful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT