ADVERTISEMENT

‘Emphasize abstinence’ in sex ed, Florida tells schools, skip lessons on contraception

Raw Dog. PIITB.
The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Can't even discuss domestic violence. Figures the GQP/MAGA types would not want any exposure or reduction in how they keep their wives in line.

Florida Decrees “Abstinence Only” Sexual Education, Bans Using Photos Of Human Reproductive Anatomy​

September 23, 2024 Christianists, Republicans

The Orlando Sentinel reports:
Florida has told school districts around the state that they may not teach teenagers about contraception, show them pictures depicting human reproductive anatomy or discuss topics such as sexual consent and domestic violence, according to district officials and an advocate for comprehensive sexual health education.
As a result, Orange County Public Schools plans to scrap its own high school sex education plans and instead use a state-approved textbook that focuses on abstinence.
Karen Castor Dentel, a member of the Orange County School Board, said the state’s instructions mean students will glean information from their phones and their friends rather than reputable sources.
Read the full article.

• Wow
Reactions: gohawks50
Abstinence is certainly a viable tool, but it needs to be offered with sexual education and options for contraception...

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
LOL, "according to district officials and an advocate for comprehensive sexual health education."

If this is an official state act, why do we only depend on activists and advocates for the news? Wouldn't there be an official policy statement?

These panics out of Florida almost always turn out to be lies and smears, and a bunch of you eat them up every time.

I can't read the article, but I can almost certainly guess the actual scenario. Orange and Broward tried to push their own non-state approved curriculum. Something in it was more extreme than state approved, or even simply went around the regular regulations and bureaucracy. Now they're going to act like it was the contraception and the domestic violence stats that are being banned.

I would almost bet that we will find out that either:

1) There is something far, far more extreme than contraception and domestic violence stats, and it includes full on graphic sexual illustrations or instructions for how to fit numerous dildos in your anus at once while dressed as a my little pony or something.

2) That they've been ordered to stop for something that doesn't even have anything to do with content, and is procedural and not adhering to requirements...like not getting the proper approval process done or something.

3) They weren't even told it was banned, they were just told to make sure it met state standards or something, and rather than meet state standards

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT