ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma makes teaching the Bible mandatory in all schools

Lifted directly from the Democratic platform on the DNC website:

Democrats applaud the decision by the Supreme Court that recognized that LGBT people—like other Americans—have the right to marry the person they love. But there is still much work to be done. LGBT kids continue to be bullied at school, restaurants can refuse to serve transgender people, and same-sex couples are at risk of being evicted from their homes. That is unacceptable and must change.
Democrats stand with the LGBTQ community’s fight for equality. We are committed to ending anti-LGBTQ violence, bullying, and discrimination, and to ensuring that LGBTQ Americans are treated with dignity and respect in their communities, their workplaces, and their schools.

Under President Obama’s leadership, we made tremendous progress: passing hate crimes legislation named for Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr., banning discrimination against LGBTQ people by federal contractors, and ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the ban on transgender military service. On President Obama’s first day in office, only two states guaranteed marriage equality. Today, marriage equality is the law of the land in all 50 states.

These milestones are significant and historic, but our work is far from complete. Experience tells us that progress is incremental — just as President Obama said, “step by step, law by law, mind by changing mind.”

Democrats are ready to continue to strive for progress. Leaders in Congress and around the country will fight alongside the LGBTQ community for full equality under the law, ending harmful conversion therapy for LGBTQ youth, and full legal protection for transgender Americans.

Color me extremely skeptical that the Founding Fathers would be opposed to such a platform stance. Embellishing the Democratic platform beyond the above summary statement is just fearmongering and lies that were developed to rile up the uninformed GOP base into a frenzy.
I said trans, and I don’t think the founders would have any issue with the Save act, nor banning trans women from sports against biological women. Most republicans I know about gay marriage.

I said trans, and I don’t think the founders would have any issue with the Save act, nor banning trans women from sports against biological women. Most republicans I know about gay marriage.
Who's responsibility is it to regulate competitive sports competition? It sure as hell shouldn't be the government, but the GOP feels like it's their cross to bear and it's a laughable joke. There's no official Democratic DNC stance on trans sports competition, it's just all made up bullshit, a fable invented by the GOP. "The Dems want men to compete against women, boo hoo!"

No, we don't.

Reactions: blhawk
After SCOTUS gives the okay on this, I'm looking forward to the next case where a teacher decides to test it by displaying other religious materials. Then SCOTUS will issue a ruling that this is not permissible, thereby creating a precedent in which only the government can establish which religious viewpoints can be displayed in public schools.
This WILL happen. If I have to post them in Iowa I will either make it the smallest font possible, or in a foreign language, OR post other religions’ tenets.

Who's responsibility is it to regulate competitive sports competition? It sure as hell shouldn't be the government, but the GOP feels like it's their cross to bear and it's a laughable joke. There's no official Democratic DNC stance on trans sports competition, it's just all made up bullshit, a fable invented by the GOP. "The Dems want men to compete against women, boo hoo!"

No, we don't.
Don’t die on that hill

Don’t die on that hill
Which one? The one where government should stick to the responsibilities they are intended to control or the fact that the Democratic party has no official plank or position on trans sports competition (nor should they), because I'll gladly die on both of those hills because their each factual and reasonable.

Reactions: Joes Place
Which one? The one where government should stick to the responsibilities they are intended to control or the fact that the Democratic party has no official plank or position on trans sports competition (nor should they), because I'll gladly die on both of those hills because their each factual and reasonable.
The taking a stand on trans women in sport. At least stop the pushback against the laws that states have.

we've always mixed church and state, but if you can point to ANY founding document that even implies a separation of church and state I'll sing a new tune. Just one... the constitution, the bill of rights within, the declaration, give me SOMETHING official that states "separation of church and state" Good Luck. But in the off chance you can't find it in the US Constitution, I'm sure you can find SOMETHING in the Oklahoma State Constitution that bans this right?
Someone might have addressed this nonsense already, but just in case:

Key Points from the Everson v. Board of Education (1947)​

1. Establishment Clause Interpretation:
    • The Court affirmed that the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause means the government cannot set up a church, aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another.
    • Quote: “The ‘establishment of religion’ clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another.”
  2. Separation of Church and State:
    • The decision famously reiterated Thomas Jefferson’s phrase about building "a wall of separation between church and state."
    • The Court emphasized that the First Amendment's purpose was to keep the government out of religious affairs and vice versa.
  3. Aid to Religion:
    • The ruling allowed for some forms of indirect aid to religion (like transportation subsidies) as long as the aid was provided to all students regardless of religion and did not promote religious activities.
    • Quote: "The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach."

Significance​

• Precedent: The decision set a precedent for how the Establishment Clause would be interpreted, balancing non-preferential aid to religious entities while maintaining a clear boundary to prevent government endorsement of religion.
  • Interpretation: It underscored the Court’s commitment to a strict interpretation of the Establishment Clause, establishing guidelines for evaluating government actions involving religion.

Sources​

• Oyez - Everson v. Board of Education
  • Legal Information Institute - Everson v. Board of Education
  • National Constitution Center - Everson v. Board of Education
By articulating a robust interpretation of the Establishment Clause and emphasizing the importance of maintaining a "wall of separation" between church and state, Everson v. Board of Education strongly supported the principle of separation of church and state while navigating the complexities of indirect aid to religious entities.

4o

Again, Oklahoma is a state, they can try this, but school being federally funded will stop it. Congress didn’t make this Oklahoma decision, their state did
This was bordering on some Kamala Harris type stuff... Oklahoma is a state, next to Texas, in the United States of America. Oklahoma shares its border with other states in the United States of America

This was bordering on some Kamala Harris type stuff... Oklahoma is a state, next to Texas, in the United States of America. Oklahoma shares its border with other states in the United States of America
The first amendment is talking about congress. Oklahoma legislature did this. If the schools didn’t receive any federal funding, it would stand legally. As is, it will be found unconstitutional.

WTF does that have to do with anything being discussed?

The Trump Bible, I assume.

B9318708640Z.1_20150903155741_000_GNOBQJVC0.1-0.jpg

Reactions: mattymoknows
Not to be a stickler, but Congress isn’t doing anything in Oklahoma, it’s the federal funding that makes this illegal
You seem to be suggesting that as long there isn't federal funding involved, that the legislatures of states are allowed to enact laws that seek to promote the establishment of religion. Am I misinterpreting your stance, and if so, could you clarify?

You seem to be suggesting that as long there isn't federal funding involved, that the legislatures of states are allowed to enact laws that seek to promote the establishment of religion. Am I misinterpreting your stance, and if so, could you clarify?
I don’t think it would stand either way, but the wording of th establishment clause is specific to the Federal government, is it not?

• The Court affirmed that the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause means the government cannot set up a church, aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another.
    • Quote: “The ‘establishment of religion’ clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another.”
    • The decision famously reiterated Thomas Jefferson’s phrase about building "a wall of separation between church and state."
    • The Court emphasized that the First Amendment's purpose was to keep the government out of religious affairs and vice versa.
  3. Aid to Religion:
    • The ruling allowed for some forms of indirect aid to religion (like transportation subsidies) as long as the aid was provided to all students regardless of religion and did not promote religious activities.
    • Quote: "The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach."

Significance​

• Precedent: The decision set a precedent for how the Establishment Clause would be interpreted, balancing non-preferential aid to religious entities while maintaining a clear boundary to prevent government endorsement of religion.
  • Interpretation: It underscored the Court’s commitment to a strict interpretation of the Establishment Clause, establishing guidelines for evaluating government actions involving religion.

Sources​

By articulating a robust interpretation of the Establishment Clause and emphasizing the importance of maintaining a "wall of separation" between church and state, Everson v. Board of Education strongly supported the principle of separation of church and state while navigating the complexities of indirect aid to religious entities.

4o
Have no fear. The current court of "originalists" will eventually conclude that Thomas Jefferson had no idea what the Founding Fathers intended.

I don’t think it would stand either way, but the wording of th establishment clause is specific to the Federal government, is it not?
But that doesn't mean that state governments can violate it anymore than they can violate other parts of the Constitution. They are bound to abide by the First Amendment just as they are the others.

But that doesn't mean that state governments can violate it anymore than they can violate other parts of the Constitution. They are bound to abide by the First Amendment just as they are the others.
I’m not disagreeing, I’m telling you where they are going to try and find a loophole

Reactions: mthawkeyes
I’d teach it along with Harry Potter. Both are Wizards after all.
We had a teacher who had a great Harry Potter themed room. One crazy parent complained and pulled her child from the class because “”I’m scared she will be teaching my son witchcraft.”

I’m not disagreeing, I’m telling you where they are going to try and find a loophole
Whew. I thought you were taking that stance based on really faulty reasoning. But I too, would not be surprised to see still more very faulty reasoning employed by this court to justify a decision.

The taking a stand on trans women in sport. At least stop the pushback against the laws that states have.
Again, I'm not aware of any Democratic organization taking an official stance on that issue, and they shouldn't. It certainly hasn't stopped the Republicans from taking up the mantle on an issue they should stay the hell out of though. Why get government involved in this? It's not their role or responsibility and it's obvious to me why they do it, to further divide and antagonize people by being hateful towards others, it's red meat for the rubes to feast on.

Let the sports organizations and their respective governing bodies sort this out themselves, I can't believe this has become such a tireless subject of discussion, a veritable tempest in a teapot. A giant nothing burger.

Again, I'm not aware of any Democratic organization taking an official stance on that issue, and they shouldn't. It certainly hasn't stopped the Republicans from taking up the mantle on an issue they should stay the hell out of though. Why get government involved in this? It's not their role or responsibility and it's obvious to me why they do it, to further divide and antagonize people by being hateful towards others, it's red meat for the rubes to feast on.

Let the sports organizations and their respective governing bodies sort this out themselves, I can't believe this has become such a tireless subject of discussion, a veritable tempest in a teapot. A giant nothing burger.
It is happening and shouldn’t be

I don't disagree with you on that, only on the point of who should be clarifying the rules and standards. Why should I be surprised that it's this kind of crap that the imbeciles in the various Statehouses think is a legislative priority.
That’s just it, it should pass with no pushback, case closed. Nothing to throw against the Dems.

It is the state governments role. There were what? 4 state champions on the East coast that were trans? Complete borseshit and a slap in the face to the girls bumped down a spot.
What does that have to do with the Constitution?

You're all over the place.

What does that have to do with the Constitution?

You're all over the place.
Two separate issues being discussed. I think the Oklahoma school deal will be ruled unconstitutional. I think State government has the right to protect real women in sports in their state.

3. Aid to Religion:

Significance​

Sources​

4o

You know that dude can't read more than a headline right?

Reactions: Joes Place
It is the state governments role. There were what? 4 state champions on the East coast that were trans? Complete borseshit and a slap in the face to the girls bumped down a spot.
East coast state’s don’t have athletic associations to govern and oversee amateur athletic competition? I find that hard to believe.

"This is not merely an educational directive but a crucial step in ensuring our students grasp the core values and historical context of our country.”

Yeah, like those super cool core values this early Christian nation did by wiping out a race of people and enslaving another?

Are those part of the core values?

If the founding of this nation was so strong in Christian values, I would expect them to love their fellow man as a brother, not murder them and enslave them.
Careful. They are making lists. You seem to need a little refresher course in a work camp.

The thing is, you think I'm beneath a reasonable conversation. That's exactly why people like me think you guys are the party of elites who think you can look down on others. You're so smart you've convinced yourselves boys have periods and can give birth. The joke is on you pal.
Lord knows you come on here enough to gripe and moan like you are flowing.

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Two separate issues being discussed. I think the Oklahoma school deal will be ruled unconstitutional. I think State government has the right to protect real women in sports in their state.

I don't know that's a precedent you want to set, similar to the topic at hand, let's say the state government comes down and does what you say. That's great.... until you fast forward and a group with the opposite mindset gets into power, they'll reverse it and may take it another step further. Now you're ****ed.

At this point I'd much rather this be handled by the state and municipal athletic governing bodies. You have way more of a chance influencing those folks then you do at the state level.

Most of this stuff for me is about not setting precedent at the big government levels if it doesn't need to be. In the vein of this thread, if OK gets this passed, now that wall has been broken down. Fast forward again and let's say Christians aren't in control anymore, now this regime wants to push their religion. Same thing, now the people who pushed for it are on the opposite end, and completely ****ed because precedent has been set.

People are all for big government when it aligns with them, but I think they fail to see the forest through the trees on these topics.

The trans athlete deal is just not big enough to be a state issue to me. You may disagree, and that's fine.. but I think we're potentially doing more harm then good down the line by pushing this to the state or federal level. And that's a very conservative stance philosophically.

I don't know that's a precedent you want to set, similar to the topic at hand, let's say the state government comes down and does what you say. That's great.... until you fast forward and a group with the opposite mindset gets into power, they'll reverse it and may take it another step further. Now you're ****ed.

At this point I'd much rather this be handled by the state and municipal athletic governing bodies. You have way more of a chance influencing those folks then you do at the state level.

Most of this stuff for me is about not setting precedent at the big government levels if it doesn't need to be. In the vein of this thread, if OK gets this passed, now that wall has been broken down. Fast forward again and let's say Christians aren't in control anymore, now this regime wants to push their religion. Same thing, now the people who pushed for it are on the opposite end, and completely ****ed because precedent has been set.

People are all for big government when it aligns with them, but I think they fail to see the forest through the trees on these topics.

The trans athlete deal is just not big enough to be a state issue to me. You may disagree, and that's fine.. but I think we're potentially doing more harm then good down the line by pushing this to the state or federal level. And that's a very conservative stance philosophically.
You’re reasonable. I’m not for the Bible being taught in school. I am for a course that teaches the origins and basic beliefs, since so much world conflict centers around Islam….ok, religion. The trans issue just keeps growing because some People think it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: like-woahh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT