ADVERTISEMENT

What can Caitlin Clark make as a WNBA rookie?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Caitlin Clark ended the debate of whether she would declare for the WNBA Draft when she announced Thursday she will forgo a potential fifth year at Iowa and turn professional following her senior season.

A question that remains is what Clark’s decision means for her financially. In the new college basketball landscape, where athletes are allowed to profit off their name, image and likeness, Clark doesn’t have to go pro to make money. She isn’t part of Iowa’s collective, so she’s not taking money from the school’s boosters. But she’s already earning off her endorsements with major brands, and she’ll have additional opportunities to capitalize once she becomes a professional.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Caitlin Clark declares for 2024 WNBA Draft

What will Clark’s salary be as a rookie?​

The base salary for a rookie selected in the lottery — spoiler, that’s where Clark will be picked as the No. 1 selection — is $78,006 in her first season. On top of that, the Rookie of the Year award winner receives a bonus of $5,150, All-Stars make $2,575, and there are additional incentives for the 3-point contest champion and playoff participants, all of which are possibilities for Clark in her first year.

Advertisement

If Clark, 22, decides to play overseas, that contract would become another source of income. The Athletic reported during the 2022-23 offseason that a handful of players made upwards of half a million dollars internationally during that time. With China reopening its leagues to American players this offseason, that increases the amount of high-value contracts available.

Are there other opportunities for compensation?​

It’s likely that a player with her national profile (similar to her presumed future Indiana Fever teammate Aliyah Boston) would choose to stay stateside, especially after playing 12 months consecutively by the end of her rookie year. In that event, Clark also will be able to enter marketing agreements in the WNBA, both with her team and the league as a whole. Individual franchises have up to $100,000 at their disposal for players who represent the team locally during the offseason, and the league spends at least $1 million on marketing deals annually, though players are capped at $250,000 each.

Teams also can provide players time-off bonuses of up to $50,000 to limit the amount of time they spend playing overseas.

What happens to Clark’s NIL deals?​

Clark already has partnerships with national brands including State Farm, Nike and Gatorade. Those deals will follow her to the WNBA. It’s worth noting that Nike is one of the league’s Changemakers, and State Farm sponsors the WNBA Draft.

As the CEO of Iowa’s primary NIL collective told The Wall Street Journal, Clark doesn’t take money from the school’s boosters. She may have local endorsements who are only interested in Iowa athletes, but she’ll likely compensate for those with companies in Indiana who want to be in the Caitlin Clark business once she plays for the Fever. The geographic proximity of her new team likely works in her favor. For example, one of Clark’s first partnerships has been with Hy-Vee — she has her own cereal called Crunch Time; but the Midwest-based grocery chain is set to expand to Indiana, keeping Clark in its zone.

Advertisement

Recent WNBA draftees, including 2023 rookie Haley Jones, have spoken about retaining their collegiate endorsements once they entered the league. Jones said that she’s added to her portfolio since joining the Atlanta Dream.

Why did Clark choose to go pro?​

Clark has already set the NCAA Division I and major conference women’s scoring records, and she is within striking distance of passing former LSU great Pete Maravich’s total that set the scoring record in men’s college basketball. She is a three-time All-American, the reigning national player of the year, and has led the country in points and assists in the same season, which she is on pace to do yet again. Clark doesn’t have anything left to learn by playing in college another season. She is ready to challenge herself against pros.

There are obvious benefits to staying in college for one more year, but whether she wins a national title for Iowa or not, Clark is the best player in the school’s history and has taken the program to incredible heights. Her legacy as a collegian is secure. It’s time to move on.

Good for her.

I've enjoyed watching her play for the Hawkeyes, but certainly won't be tuning into any WNBA games. To her credit, there are a ton of guys like me that never would have thought they would be tuning into Women's basketball if you asked them 3 years ago.

That said, I'm ready for her to move on so that I can go back to ignoring the women's game.

Good for her.

I've enjoyed watching her play for the Hawkeyes, but certainly won't be tuning into any WNBA games. To her credit, there are a ton of guys like me that never would have thought they would be tuning into Women's basketball if you asked them 3 years ago.

That said, I'm ready for her to move on so that I can go back to ignoring the women's game.
I am invested in the Iowa women's team and will continue to watch them as I have for the past 8 years or so. It's fun basketball to watch sans the officiating. I will watch Caitlin in the WNBA. Not sure if I will be a regular viewer or not.

78,000 well don’t I feel like a WNBA player now
52c.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
if the WNBA doesn’t find a way to get on national tv more, Clark will be forgotten about quickly. Take a look at the Fevers schedule and how people can watch a game. It’s pathetic.

it’s like Tim Tebow leaving Florida to go play in the Canadian Football league

Reactions: goldmom
I am invested in the Iowa women's team and will continue to watch them as I have for the past 8 years or so. It's fun basketball to watch sans the officiating. I will watch Caitlin in the WNBA. Not sure if I will be a regular viewer or not.

I'm the same way. I've been an Iowa WBB game for a long time and went to games regularly until this season. I'll follow her in the WNBA and try to watch games when I can. Since Indianapolis is on the way to visit family, I do plan on catching a Fever game this summer

Reactions: Torg
Caitlin Clark ended the debate of whether she would declare for the WNBA Draft when she announced Thursday she will forgo a potential fifth year at Iowa and turn professional following her senior season.

A question that remains is what Clark’s decision means for her financially. In the new college basketball landscape, where athletes are allowed to profit off their name, image and likeness, Clark doesn’t have to go pro to make money. She isn’t part of Iowa’s collective, so she’s not taking money from the school’s boosters. But she’s already earning off her endorsements with major brands, and she’ll have additional opportunities to capitalize once she becomes a professional.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Caitlin Clark declares for 2024 WNBA Draft

What will Clark’s salary be as a rookie?​

The base salary for a rookie selected in the lottery — spoiler, that’s where Clark will be picked as the No. 1 selection — is $78,006 in her first season. On top of that, the Rookie of the Year award winner receives a bonus of $5,150, All-Stars make $2,575, and there are additional incentives for the 3-point contest champion and playoff participants, all of which are possibilities for Clark in her first year.

Advertisement

If Clark, 22, decides to play overseas, that contract would become another source of income. The Athletic reported during the 2022-23 offseason that a handful of players made upwards of half a million dollars internationally during that time. With China reopening its leagues to American players this offseason, that increases the amount of high-value contracts available.

Are there other opportunities for compensation?​

It’s likely that a player with her national profile (similar to her presumed future Indiana Fever teammate Aliyah Boston) would choose to stay stateside, especially after playing 12 months consecutively by the end of her rookie year. In that event, Clark also will be able to enter marketing agreements in the WNBA, both with her team and the league as a whole. Individual franchises have up to $100,000 at their disposal for players who represent the team locally during the offseason, and the league spends at least $1 million on marketing deals annually, though players are capped at $250,000 each.

Teams also can provide players time-off bonuses of up to $50,000 to limit the amount of time they spend playing overseas.

What happens to Clark’s NIL deals?​

Clark already has partnerships with national brands including State Farm, Nike and Gatorade. Those deals will follow her to the WNBA. It’s worth noting that Nike is one of the league’s Changemakers, and State Farm sponsors the WNBA Draft.

As the CEO of Iowa’s primary NIL collective told The Wall Street Journal, Clark doesn’t take money from the school’s boosters. She may have local endorsements who are only interested in Iowa athletes, but she’ll likely compensate for those with companies in Indiana who want to be in the Caitlin Clark business once she plays for the Fever. The geographic proximity of her new team likely works in her favor. For example, one of Clark’s first partnerships has been with Hy-Vee — she has her own cereal called Crunch Time; but the Midwest-based grocery chain is set to expand to Indiana, keeping Clark in its zone.

Advertisement

Recent WNBA draftees, including 2023 rookie Haley Jones, have spoken about retaining their collegiate endorsements once they entered the league. Jones said that she’s added to her portfolio since joining the Atlanta Dream.

Why did Clark choose to go pro?​

Clark has already set the NCAA Division I and major conference women’s scoring records, and she is within striking distance of passing former LSU great Pete Maravich’s total that set the scoring record in men’s college basketball. She is a three-time All-American, the reigning national player of the year, and has led the country in points and assists in the same season, which she is on pace to do yet again. Clark doesn’t have anything left to learn by playing in college another season. She is ready to challenge herself against pros.

There are obvious benefits to staying in college for one more year, but whether she wins a national title for Iowa or not, Clark is the best player in the school’s history and has taken the program to incredible heights. Her legacy as a collegian is secure. It’s time to move on.

I know your life is nothing but plastering articles about left-wing bull crap (with the exception of the above) but, could you at the very least take the time to delete the words "Advertisement" from you posts? Or, OR, maybe you don't have the time since you do this ALL, DAY, LONG. Just give it the ole' college try for us, won't you?

• Haha
Reactions: TennNole17
The biggest problem with the WNBA is that a majority of their
40 game schedule is played in June, July, and August. In 2024,
it starts on May 14 and ends on September 19. Watching
women's basketball in the Summer is not an attraction for many
sports fans. This needs to change to get more excitement.

I know your life is nothing but plastering articles about left-wing bull crap (with the exception of the above) but, could you at the very least take the time to delete the words "Advertisement" from you posts? Or, OR, maybe you don't have the time since you do this ALL, DAY, LONG. Just give it the ole' college try for us, won't you?
Lol at this poor guy. Just go back to reading threads about how great Ted Cruz is you hack.

I’d agree, I get it was probably scheduled in the summer to not interfere with the NBA but they need to change it to the winter as well.
Scheduling will be a nightmare for teams that share an nba arena

Reactions: LuteHawk

First world problems

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
I’d agree, I get it was probably scheduled in the summer to not interfere with the NBA but they need to change it to the winter as well.
Scheduling will be a nightmare for teams that share an nba arena
Why would it be a nightmare? They play an average of 1 home game every 6 days during the regular season. It doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to make that happen.

It might get a little tricky in LA, where the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Sparks all share an arena. But on weekends they could have NBA/WNBA doubleheaders to try to boost attendance and interest.

It might get a little tricky in LA, where the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Sparks all share an arena. But on weekends they could have NBA/WNBA doubleheaders to try to boost attendance and interest.
Starting next season the Clippers will have their own brand new arena. So that’s one less team for a scheduling conflict.

Reactions: TJ8869
She could retire comfortably today. She'll be fine making the $78,000 plus millions in additional endorsements over the remainder of her life as the face of women's basketball.

if the WNBA doesn’t find a way to get on national tv more, Clark will be forgotten about quickly. Take a look at the Fevers schedule and how people can watch a game. It’s pathetic.

it’s like Tim Tebow leaving Florida to go play in the Canadian Football league
Maybe Clark is just what the WNBA needs to get on tv more often? None of the other stars have moved the needle since its inception.

Reactions: 3boysmom
And if she so chooses, there will be a career in coaching or broadcasting when her playing days are over. Money isn’t going to be a problem for her.

Was going to mention that...after they are done in the WNBA just come back to college and make real money.

I added it up once...the top 10 paid college womens coaches make more than every player in the WNBA.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So much focus on the money.

Maybe she just wants to be the best she can be, and the WNBA is where the talent is.

Short of a National Championship, she has done everything she can in the NCAA

Reactions: goldmom and Moral
i think a part of the decision has to be some negativity in regards to points records. If she returned so many people would bitch about her setting an unbreakable points record because of that 5th season.

in a way it's going to be nice getting back to the talk around and about the hawkeyes being all about how horrible the offense is on the football team.

i think a part of the decision has to be some negativity in regards to points records. If she returned so many people would bitch about her setting an unbreakable points record because of that 5th season.
Which is weird because no one has given even the tiniest fvck about the hundreds of other athletes that have used their Covid year.

Reactions: cheeselog8
IX...,suggestion...Go get laid.

Reactions: Tenacious E
What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office

Well, that and it's women's basketball. :cool:

Caitlin might be to women’s basketball what Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain were to the NBA...she might be a “earth mover” for the game...the key to her personal success is getting with the right franchise and coaches. Make no mistake, the Celtics re-made themselves when they drafted Russell in ‘56...they picked up the Jones boys and Satch Sanderson..4 prime time blacks at a time when most teams had a couple of black players on their roster..and Auerbach designed his defense where everything was funneled towards Russell, his long arms and blocked shots...
#22 was who she was at UIowa because the coaches there saw what she might be, allowed her to be that player and eventually surrounded her with players that would thrive off of CItlan’s style of play. Bluder and her staff are overlooked by many with all the personal records/accomplishments of Caitlin and this team. Bluder’s role here is much like that of Auerbach....minus the cigar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacious E
I actually disagree here. As someone who loves college football and likes college basketball, the summer is a desert for spirts viewing. Outside the Olympics, its mostly baseball, which I find boring. I’m not going to subscribe to some weird channel but if you put a fever game on a random weeknight on a channel I have, I’d likely watch it.

So much focus on the money.

Maybe she just wants to be the best she can be, and the WNBA is where the talent is.

Short of a National Championship, she has done everything she can in the NCAA
But $78,000? You know that is just not good. She could make that kind of money in two years out of school these days with no wear and tear on her body.
I would hope she could triple that at least with endorsements.
I wish her the best and I’m a fan.

Reactions: Moral
But $78,000? You know that is just not good. She could make that kind of money in two years out of school these days with no wear and tear on her body.
I would hope she could triple that at least with endorsements.
I wish her the best and I’m a fan.

She will make more than a million a year with endorsements. She will be ok.

I don't disagree that the salary is bullshit.

Caitlin might be to women’s basketball what Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain were to the NBA...she might be a “earth mover” for the game...the key to her personal success is getting with the right franchise and coaches. Make no mistake, the Celtics re-made themselves when they drafted Russell in ‘56...they picked up the Jones boys and Satch Sanderson..4 prime time blacks at a time when most teams had a couple of black players on their roster..and Auerbach destined his defense where everything was funneled towards Russell, his long arms and blocked shots...
#22 was who she wa at UIowa because the coaches there saw what she might be, allowed her to be that player and eventually surrounded her with players that would thrive off of CItlan’s style of play. Blunder and her staff are overlooked by many with all the personal records/accomplishments of Caitlin and this team. Bluder’s role here is much like that of Auerbach....minus the cigar.
I think if the wnba is going to be elevated in prominence she needs a magic to her bird. Maybe she’s already there, I have no idea. I really hope they put her on the Olympic team. I’d love to see how she meshes and performs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT