ADVERTISEMENT

‘We may be looking at the end of capitalism’: One of the world’s oldest and largest investment banks warns ‘Greedflation’ has gone too far

Does toilet paper, cat food, and other products ring a bell with anyone? Or did everyone forget?

Hey how does Keynesian economics and supply side economics fit in to your critical observation that the laws of supply and demand are immutable? Seems like it's implicit in the topics that supply and demand are in fact not strictly naturally occurring phenomena and they can actually be affected in ways preferable to society by differenr methods of deliberation?

I see S and D as natural and unalterable as the speed of light.

All efforts to subjugate it result in more human suffering (e.g. hurricane: “can’t raise price of bottled water”: okay, then additional suppliers are not attracted: supplies run out: people thirsty).

I see S and D as natural and unalterable as the speed of light.

All efforts to subjugate it result in more human suffering (e.g. hurricane: “can’t raise price of bottled water”: okay, then additional suppliers are not attracted: supplies run out: people thirsty).
If demand is unalterable then why do for profit corporations spend money on advertising?

Reactions: Ree4 and RileyHawk
Dare me? What is this, middle school? If you're jacking up prices beyond what is reasonable for costs and profits, that is gouging. We see it all the time in medicine.
Prices are not and should not be set according to costs. They are set and should be according to supply and demand.

If S and D allow high profits, other suppliers will enter and drive down profits, or demand will drop and drive down profits.

It’s just so majestic.

Prices are not and should not be set according to costs. They are set and should be according to supply and demand.

If S and D allow high profits, other suppliers will enter and drive down profits, or demand will drop and drive down profits.

It’s just so majestic.
JFC - not if the cost of entry is high. The market is much more complex than you are apparently able to recognize.

If demand is unalterable then why do for profit corporations spend money on advertising?

No, I meant the fact that Supply and Demand set prices is unalterable, not that Supply and Demand are not themselves alterable. Our beautiful market alters them every day.

It’s just so majestic.
This is mostly true over time, but rarely in the short term.

No, I meant the fact that Supply and Demand set prices is unalterable, not that Supply and Demand are not themselves alterable. Our beautiful market alters them every day.
Got it, so you're fixated on a trivial static supply and demand curve and content to ignore the world in motion to worship a pretty obvious feature of markets?

S&D can be manipulated. We see it all the time, especially in FL during hurricane season.

When I was still in CT and we had the bad years, one of which was Sandy, Home Depot could have made generators unattainable. They didn't and they kept the price the same.

JFC - not if the cost of entry is high. The market is much more complex than you are apparently able to recognize.
Cost of entry is a legit factor.

But not the ultimate determiner.

If profit potential is high enough, someone will enter.

Why did the first company drop prices?
It could be for many reasons. One being because a competitor lowered their prices. Another would be to gain market share. Another would be to get rid of inventory. Still another might be a a loss leader.

That you can't grasp that there are many factors affecting pricing tells us that you lack even basic knowledge in this area.

S&D can be manipulated. We see it all the time, especially in FL during hurricane season.

When I was still in CT and we had the bad years, one of which was Sandy, Home Depot could have made generators unattainable. They didn't and they kept the price the same.
Not to mention in oil production.

It could be for many reasons. One being because a competitor lowered their prices. Another would be to gain market share. Another would be to get rid of inventory. Still another might be a a loss leader.

That you can't grasp that there are many factors affecting pricing tells us that you lack even basic knowledge in this area.
The earlier statement was that competitors drop prices because someone else dropped prices first. So my question was, why did the FIRST company drop prices. Therefore, an answer can’t be “because a competitor dropped prices”.

The other reasons you list are legit, but off topic: My question remains: If “competitors drop (or raise) prices because someone else does so first”, why does that first company do so? (I know the answer.)

Correct. But trivial? No.
Very trivial. You are talking about fictitious widgets and if you want to start thinking about the curves over time, you're also talking fictitious money. We don't know anything about your widgets except the demand curve and the supply curve supplied by the author of the text.

Suppose your widgets are eggs and there's a war going on causing actual scarcity of eggs. The market would allow for wealthy people to hoard the eggs but your poor people are operating arms/munitions factories. Do you suspend the market and feed the people or do you let them grab the guns they've been building and revolt?

Reactions: Ree4
The earlier statement was that competitors drop prices because someone else dropped prices first. So my question was, why did the FIRST company drop prices. Therefore, an answer can’t be “because a competitor dropped prices”.

The other reasons you list are legit, but off topic: My question remains: If “competitors drop (or raise) prices because someone else does so first, why does that first company do so? (I know the answer.)
No. The answer can be because a competitor dropped their prices - companies have more different and more than one competitor. None of the other answers are off topic - they simply expose your simpleminded view on this.

Are you trying to suggest the only reason the first company drops their price is due to supply or demand? If so, you're dumber than I thought.

Suppose your widgets are eggs and there's a war going on causing actual scarcity of eggs. The market would allow for wealthy people to hoard the eggs but your poor people are operating arms/munitions factories. Do you suspend the market and feed the people or do you let them grab the guns they've been building and revolt?
That’s a public policy question, not an economic question.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
True. Which would indicate that prices are “correct”: No “excess profits” to attract suppliers.
No it doesn't. That's nonsense. If a company has a monopoly, for instance, they can drive excess profits. Companies that collude to set prices can do the same thing.

And excess profits attracting suppliers?

Are you trying to suggest the only reason the first company drops their price is due to supply or demand?

Well, yes, but I realize the actual sequence is not this linear. You are correct that there are myriad simultaneous moving parts to all this. S and D is sort of an overall model of what is happening, but no one can really say why the price moved by how much when.

No it doesn't. That's nonsense. If a company has a monopoly, for instance, they can drive excess profits. Companies that collude to set prices can do the same thing.

And excess profits attracting suppliers?
Excess profits kill monopolies. And greed kills collusion.

Well, yes, but I realize the actual sequence is not this linear. You are correct that there are myriad simultaneous moving parts to all this. S and D is sort of an overall model of what is happening, but no one can really say why the price moved by how much when.
So what's your point? This is what has been presented to you but you've been hell bent on supply and demand being the only factors.

Did you finally learn something?

Economic side: Why are prices what they are?
Policy side: People can’t afford these prices. WTF should we do about it?
Economic side: Prices are what they are because citizens/taxpayers prop up a police state/monopoly of violence which functions to protect the rights of people to own and use property and this allows for goods and services to be traded using a market mechanism which determines prices in a way that can be roughly described by this graph that is almost mind blowing the first time you see it drawn up.

Globalization and consolidation and regulation has raised the barrier of entry too high for the market to work properly.

The way this is supposed to work is that if a product can be made or sold more cheaply and at a profit, somebody will.

75 years ago, if Bob's 5 and Dime was selling for exorbitant margins, Ted could open up Ted's Mercantile and sell at reasonable prices. The barrier of entry to opening up a new Walmart or Target is nearly insurmountable. We're down to a handful of major players worldwide in all kinds of industries up and down the supply chain with impossible barriers to price disruption.

All that said...while inflation over the last several years is bad...my guess is that on a real cost basis as a function of income, everything that was for sale 75 years ago at Ted's mercantile was 2-10x more expensive than what it is today. There's a reason nobody mends socks today.

We've reaped the price benefits of consolidation and unifying supply chains, but now we're paying the price penalties of the loss of competition.

I don't know the answer.
Very. Well, Said.

aplausos-clapped.gif

Reactions: Rifler
People don't understand that food deserts exist. Iowa is rural but not as rural as South Dakota. We go ice fishing up in Webster, SD every year. There is one grocery store in Webster. The nearest cities with grocery stores to Webster are Watertown (44 miles) and Aberdeen (51 miles). That's close to an hour drive either way if you want an alternative to the grocery store in Webster. Living in Webster and buying groceries at the locally owned grocery store is like being perpetually trapped in a movie theater or baseball stadium, they charge you out the butt for everything. Stopped in there once to pick up a few things to grill while out on the ice, holy crap, almost needed to take out a second mortgage.

Point is, we may all lament the Walmart's, Target's, and all the other Big Box Stores, including Amazon, and bitch about their obscene profits, yet at the same time we've never been able to buy such cheap goods before in history.
This is an excellent point. But it runs both ways. That store in Webster has to pay more for their groceries because the food delivery trucks only get to make one stop there. Their profits may not be more than other food providers.

Not particularly relevant to the discussion, but your comment made me think about something...there are geographically massive, huge swaths of the country for whom Dollar General is the most crucial retailer, if not one of the most crucial businesses, in their lives.

Trader Joes has 560 stores in the United States. Dollar General has 19,000 stores in the United States. It's the only nearby store for essential items for a huge number of Americans. Way more Americans shop at Dollar General than Trader Joes.

Hell, they EMPLOY 160,000 people, more than Johnson and Johnson, Boeing, or Hilton.

When is the last time you ever saw anything in the culture...viral tweets, late night jokes, Atlantic think pieces...about Dollar General. If you don't live or drive outside the urban centers that define our culture, you'd be forgiven for for not even knowing it exists as an entity.

Too me, the whole "two Americas" hand wringing in the wake of Trump has frequently gone overboard, but there's something incredibly striking about the idea there is a massive retailer, or any entity really, that is a vital part of life for a large segment of the population, and thoroughly invisible the the rest of it.
Good point. And at a time when people don't take very good care of themselves, Dollar General is there to provide chips, soft drinks, candy, other snacks that aren't good for us, but have little if any fresh fruit or healthy snacks.

You say you don't hear about them .... but I've seen articles about cities fighting to keep them from putting one up on every corner and driving out tradition grocery. They are taking over poorer communities.

Reactions: globalhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT