ADVERTISEMENT

“Chicken McNuggets are designed to be eaten, not to be pressed against the thigh of a 4-year-old girl for two minutes"

Again, you do not have anyway to know whether the packaging prevented her from feeling how hot the nuggets were.

It is quite likely they were scalding hot nuggets inside a box inside a bag that was handed into the backseat. Hypothetical - would it have been the mom’s fault if a McDonald’s employee put fentanyl in a bag and handed it to the mom who handed into the backseat to a kid? Are customers now responsible for inspecting all containers and bags from drive thrus before handing them to a third party in their vehicle?
Only when the third party is their effing kid…

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Hypothetical - would it have been the mom’s fault if a McDonald’s employee put fentanyl in a bag and handed it to the mom who handed into the backseat to a kid?
InbornNeatDunlin-max-1mb.gif

Maybe I’m just weird, but when my kids were young and we would occasionally get fast food from a drive-thru, I would pull into a parking space for a couple minutes. My wife and/or myself would distribute the food to the kids and make sure everyone’s order was correct and everyone got the toy they wanted. Once everyone was situated and happy then would I get back on the road.

It sounds like this lady just handed the food over her shoulder to her 4-year-old daughter and said “bon appetit” and headed back onto the highway.

Reminds me of the lady who sued Mickey D's over hot coffee. Personally, I think the parents should be charged with child abuse for feeding their child that garbage.

Parents blame McDonald’s McNuggets for Broward toddler’s severe burn​

Rafael Olmeda, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM CDT

The pained shrieks of a 4-year-old girl filled a Broward courtroom Tuesday, a vivid reminder that a family’s lawsuit against a fast-food giant over “dangerously hot” chicken nuggets is no laughing matter.

The screams were recorded in 2019, the day Philana Holmes bought her daughter a Chicken McNugget Happy Meal at a Tamarac McDonald’s drive-thru. No one is disputing that the second-degree burn on the girl’s skin was caused by the chicken. The dispute in court is over who is to blame.

Holmes and the child’s father, Humberto Caraballo Estevez, sued McDonald’s for negligence and improper training, accusing McDonald’s and the franchise operator, Upchurch Foods, of failing to protect the safety of its customers.
In opening statements Tuesday, attorneys for the plaintiffs said the franchise should have known it was passing a dangerous product through the drive-thru window and that McDonald’s corporate headquarters was to blame for failing to set safer standards.

Defense lawyer Scott Yount said the business was not to blame. “Chicken McNuggets are designed to be eaten, not to be pressed against the thigh of a 4-year-old girl for two minutes,” Yount said.

That, evidently, is how long the nugget was wedged between the victim’s thigh and her seat belt, causing second-degree burns and scars that plague the victim to this day.

McDonald’s issued a statement about the case late Monday: “We take every complaint seriously and certainly those that involve the safety of our food and the experiences of our guests,” it said. “This matter was looked into thoroughly. Ensuring a high standard for food safety and quality means following strict policies and procedures for each product we cook and serve. Those policies and procedures were followed in this case and we therefore respectfully disagree with the plaintiff’s claims.”

The first witness was Ralph Fernandez, the liaison between the franchise operator, Upchurch, and McDonald’s USA. Fernandez testified that the chicken is cooked to a temperature of 160 degrees and maintained at that temperature until served. But that temperature is intended to insure the product is fully cooked, he said.

“Is it hot enough to cause burns?” plaintiff’s lawyer John Fischer asked.
“That is not the intent,” Fernandez responded.
The trial before Broward Circuit Judge David Haimes is expected to be brief, and it is focusing only on whether McDonald’s is liable for the young girl’s injuries. If the plaintiffs win, a second trial will determine damages.
That's what roasted marshmallow are for. Sticks real well.

Maybe I’m just weird, but when my kids were young and we would occasionally get fast food from a drive-thru, I would pull into a parking space for a couple minutes. My wife and/or myself would distribute the food to the kids and make sure everyone’s order was correct and everyone got the toy they wanted. Once everyone was situated and happy then would I get back on the road.

It sounds like this lady just handed the food over her shoulder to her 4-year-old daughter and said “bon appetit” and headed back onto the highway.

That's what we did but I can't say that I always checked to make sure the chicken nuggets were not scalding hot. Because in my experience they are rarely hot enough to produce a first degree burn, much less a 2nd degree burn.

Reactions: TennNole17

This is crazy talk. Parents taking responsible and not depending on teenage strangers.

Pfff, I suppose next you are going to say you checked up on their homework to make sure they were making their best effort in school.

This is crazy talk. Parents taking responsible and not depending on teenage strangers.

Pfff, I suppose next you are going to say you checked up on their homework to make sure they were making their best effort in school.
To be honest, it wasn’t entirely about responsible parenting so much as it was me not wanting to have to listen to a bunch of screaming if we got 3 miles down the road and someone realized they got the wrong toy or they got shorted a McNugget.

But one of the side benefits was that if their food was too hot I could make sure it cooled down before they ate it instead of just tossing a bag of scalding hot chicken in their laps and then merging onto the interstate.

So you open all food containers handed to you through the drivethru and test them for proper temperature and absence of foreign objects every single time before handing the food back to your kids?
If I had an autistic 4-year-old daughter then yes, I would check her food before handing it to her.

Fried food that is right out of the fryer and hot enough to burn skin looks and smells different than food that has been sitting under a heat lamp. This isn’t rocket surgery.

So you open all food containers handed to you through the drivethru and test them for proper temperature and absence of foreign objects every single time before handing the food back to your kids?
Yep, pull over in the parking lot and hand the stuff back individually after opening. Not looking for fentanyl though, I don’t even know what it looks like…

The issue in the coffee case and potentially the issue here is if they were excessively hot. In the coffee case they showed that McDonalds served their coffee at temps WAY above what most other establishments served them at.

To me I'm thinking a nugget hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns was probably also excessively hot.
Again, people are morons. Don’t put hot coffee between your legs and don’t hold and press a hot chicken nugget against your leg for four minutes and it won’t burn you.

DXP: Ultimate Pizza Delivery Vehicle​

The 2016 DXP vehicle was designed and built with a purpose: perfect pizza delivery. When you check out the interior, you’ll see sizeable compartments designed to stabilize pizzas and secure drinks and sides. There’s also a built-in warming oven that stays at a cozy 140 degrees to keep your pizza the perfect temperature from our store to your home.

The pizza isn't 300 degrees.

If I’m not mistaken, 140 degrees is the ideal temperature for rapid bacterial growth and is often referred to as the “danger zone.”

UPDATE: I was mistaken. This is incorrect.

Last edited:
Again, people are morons. Don’t put hot coffee between your legs and don’t hold and press a hot chicken nugget against your leg for four minutes and it won’t burn you.

Where the hell are they supposed to put the coffee? Why did the lid come off so easy? Why did McDonalds keep the temperature so high even after hundreds of complaints?

Consumers have rights as well. Corporations shouldn't have the luxury of putting out a bad product

If I’m not mistaken, 140 degrees is the ideal temperature for rapid bacterial growth and is often referred to as the “danger zone.”
41*-135*. 140 is usually considered the lowest safe hot-hold temp.

It doesn't really matter with a delivery pie though, because it's most likely going to be eaten before it's been in the danger zone long enough to develop bacteria(2hrs).

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Where the hell are they supposed to put the coffee? Why did the lid come off so easy? Why did McDonalds keep the temperature so high even after hundreds of complaints?

Consumers have rights as well. Corporations shouldn't have the luxury of putting out a bad product

I don't know about you, but I expect to receive HOT coffee, not LUKEWARM coffee.

Speaking as a consumer, not a corp. mouthpiece.

Safety is a function of both temperature and time. It’s safe to eat chicken at 140 degrees if it has been at 140 long enough (eg: sous vide).

Safety doesn't play into it if you want to talk to me about 140* chicken. Poultry that soft isn't for me.

Last edited:

If you are handing out coffee period, spills are an obvious risk. It's on the company to mitigate the obvious risks as much as possible in the parts that they can control.

So you serve hot but not scalding hot coffee. Now if someone gets hurt from regular hot coffee that's on them. But at the temperature McDonald's was serving coffee at, 3rd degree burns happen in about 3 seconds of exposure. At normal coffee temperatures it takes 20 seconds. That's a big freaking difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT