ADVERTISEMENT

“Honky Tonk Woman” was released 55 years ago TODAY!

My bar band plays this late in the second set and we always have a hot chick on deck to play the cowbell. Never fails to get people going. Used to play it back to back with Brown Sugar but our lead singer got concerned about the lyrics (he's a prof at St Thomas) so we dropped it from the set.

People who don't think Keith Richards is a great guitarist seem to have never heard the guitar opening of that song. Fantastic. He projects more feeling in those few seconds than countless guitar players ever do.
Technique and speed is one thing....feel and soul is another. Keith has legendary feel.

As a drummer I see all these vids of young guys with incredible chops and speed. But it sounds like a machine. No groove, no soul, no understanding of playing on the front of the beat or the back of the beat or using dynamics...connecting with the other musicians. Just a f***ing machine. The best music, the best art...is organic. Rough edges, imperfect, but honest humanity.

Music and art reflect culture in general. That's never been more evident than today.

I wish they had put Honky Tonk Women on Let it Bleed instead of Country Honk. It would have made the greatest album in rock history even greater.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Technique and speed is one thing....feel and soul is another. Keith has legendary feel.

As a drummer I see all these vids of young guys with incredible chops and speed. But it sounds like a machine. No groove, no soul, no understanding of playing on the front of the beat or the back of the beat or using dynamics...connecting with the other musicians. Just a f***ing machine. The best music, the best art...is organic. Rough edges, imperfect, but honest humanity.

Music and art reflect culture in general. That's never been more evident than today.
Anthony Anderson Lol GIF by ABC Network

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT