ADVERTISEMENT

“Is the NCAA or B1G going to fine me if I say that’s a horsebleep bleeping call?" Nico & other Player Interviews from Today

They're obviously not going to fine him, but the conference could suspend him. I don't think they will, and I don't think they should. Although I also don't think the comments are particularly helpful or appropriate.

When a player drops a pass, do we call it a horseshit drop? No, and we shouldn't. Many of the college players in front of the microphones are now making more than the officials working the games. Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, get over it and move on. It's part of the game.
We do call it horseshit

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
By field judge do you mean the side judge who should have been right on the sideline looking at that play and seeing the grab and tackle.

Easy call, we could see it right away on tv in real time, bad officiating.

I dont like the "let 'em play" mentality when all it does is make the level of play not a good because Dbacks are not using good technique but instead grabbing etc.

Now we got a way with a Hankins hold two years ago in L'ames on a big pick 6 so maybe it evens out.

And we won, it didnt cost us the game. I can understand Nico's frustration
Field judge is supposed to be downfield on the press box side of the offense right next to where the play happened but nowhere to be found. The side judge is downfield on the other side. The one you’re talking about is the line judge who is supposed to be at the LOS on the press box side.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Field judge is supposed to be downfield on the press box side of the offense right next to where the play happened but nowhere to be found. The side judge is downfield on the other side. The one you’re talking about is the line judge who is supposed to be at the LOS on the press box side.

I know the line judges job is on the LOS pre-snap and looking on each side of the LOS after the snap to spot the ball, for penalties, and for short pass plays.

But whether it is field judge or side judge it did not seem that a ref who is supposed to be farther down the sideline was either in a very good position to see that grab or just did not call it

I'm glad Nico spoke up and said something we all know... that was a horse shit call.
in the age of gambling, these sorts of calls should get a closer look.
I am the opposite. You just don't allow the players to complain about the officiating. Bad precedent. He probably should be suspended maybe a half next game.

Free speech. Coaches and fans can do it. Why not players?
People are free to say what they want, but also need to accept the official and unofficial consequences of their words.

If fans and coaches and players can say whatever they want, why not officials?

Could you imagine... "I think coach so-and-so made horseshit decisions, that's why they lost - not my calls."

Of course there are and should be lines we don't cross.

I am the opposite. You just don't allow the players to complain about the officiating. Bad precedent. He probably should be suspended maybe a half next game.
see... to me, that looks like you support bad officiating and you want to go to extremes to protect bad officiating.

see... to me, that looks like you support bad officiating and you want to go to extremes to protect bad officiating.
This supposes that public ridicule is the only way to improve officiating. It is not.

At all levels in all sports, officiating training, evaluation, mentoring and development has significantly improved over the last few decades. It's just that we see everything now in super-HD slow motion, with on-screen officiating analysts and we have the echo chamber of social media.

Bad calls were made back in the day. Remember the non-touchdown in the 85 Michigan game? The difference is back then we accepted it was part of the game, complained about it for a bit, and then moved on. Especially in games that we ultimately won.

Reactions: CookyMonster
My way of looking at it is the NCAA and conf commissioners should try to make the defenses be less mugging and grabbing and bumping.

We want to see WRs making great plays not being handcuffed. We like to see Dbacks making great, clean pass breakups and INTs.

It is better for the game to make it a cleaner game, call the INT penalties and the defenders will back off a bit and have to play better technique wise
I wish the NCAA would change the penalty of pass interference to how the NFL applies it. You get the ball at the spot of the foul and not a bs 10 yard penalty. The defense gets rewarded for interfering when they are beat on a big play. Remember the BIG championship game vs MSU and they mugged us to keep from us from scoring a potential TD.

This supposes that public ridicule is the only way to improve officiating. It is not.

At all levels in all sports, officiating training, evaluation, mentoring and development has significantly improved over the last few decades. It's just that we see everything now in super-HD slow motion, with on-screen officiating analysts and we have the echo chamber of social media.

Bad calls were made back in the day. Remember the non-touchdown in the 85 Michigan game? The difference is back then we accepted it was part of the game, complained about it for a bit, and then moved on. Especially in games that we ultimately won.
just to be clear... public ridicule is not how you improve officiating...
but public ridicule is how you improve offenses ?

In todays environment, have the ref in the booth be allowed to fix “clear and obvious” mistakes. They have VAR for soccer, why not for football.
VAR in soccer has made the AR damn near invisible. They are so scared to call offside knowing VAR is going to check it anyway. Also the incredible delay for offside to determine if they are actively making a play on the ball drives me nuts but that's a different conversation altogether.

People are free to say what they want, but also need to accept the official and unofficial consequences of their words.

If fans and coaches and players can say whatever they want, why not officials?

Could you imagine... "I think coach so-and-so made horseshit decisions, that's why they lost - not my calls."

Of course there are and should be lines we don't cross.
I'd love it. Give 'em the Ditka.

just to be clear... public ridicule is not how you improve officiating...
but public ridicule is how you improve offenses ?
In my opinion, it's really not helpful in either sense. The idea that coaches or anyone are only motivated to success via public pressure is nonsense.

I just find it interesting... you stand up for the referees... but not the players that get ridiculed.
Players should not be ridiculed, and I would absolutely not do that. I've been critical of coaches and on rare occasions players, but more on their behavior than ability. I'm not an expert and don't pretend to know more than the coaches. And I'm certainly no longer an athlete as was never as good as anybody playing D1 football today.

Maybe so, but those weren't mistakes, not when it happens a half dozen times. In fairness they weren't calling much either way, but I'd still say the "non calls" hampered us more, and there were more obvious ones that should have been called on the clones.
They weren't consistent. In a lot of games, PI would have been called on Iowa in the EZ on the first ISU possession. In a lot of games, PI would not have been called on ISU on the play that kept Iowa's only TD drive alive. Unquestionably, in a lot of games PI would have been called on the ISU interception discussed in this thread.

It's pretty obvious this crew was "letting them play." Only one flag against Iowa -- it was declined -- and two against ISU. That's pretty amazing in any game, but especially in a close rivalry game.

They weren't consistent. In a lot of games, PI would have been called on Iowa in the EZ on the first ISU possession. In a lot of games, PI would not have been called on ISU on the play that kept Iowa's only TD drive alive. Unquestionably, in a lot of games PI would have been called on the ISU interception discussed in this thread.

It's pretty obvious this crew was "letting them play." Only one flag against Iowa -- it was declined -- and two against ISU. That's pretty amazing in any game, but especially in a close rivalry game.
Hey we just had the penalty free game (both teams) with Minnesota last November. We are just that good.

The first PI called against ISU was a clear penalty. Not even really close.

I wish the NCAA would change the penalty of pass interference to how the NFL applies it. You get the ball at the spot of the foul and not a bs 10 yard penalty. The defense gets rewarded for interfering when they are beat on a big play. Remember the BIG championship game vs MSU and they mugged us to keep from us from scoring a potential TD.

I am pretty sure the penalty yardage is 15 yards and if end the endzone and inside the 30 yard line you get all 15 yards.

But I agree with you that it needs to be a bigger penalty. And most teams are throwing short passes so for those it should be a 15 yard penalty. Maybe for a pass between 15 and 30 yards it should be a spot foul where it occurred.

But perhaps the max penalty yardage should be 30 yards just to make sure a really bad call of a 50 yard pass play INT doesnt really screw the defense.

It would also be good with all the money involved to make the TV show producers to put a few more cameras in and have some studio or central command replay people make a quick judgment on flagrant INTs that are missed.

My guess is that most people watching the Nico-Cooper grab play last Saturday knew it was very highly likely a grab and tug and should have been and INT. Just a quick re-wind of the tape and boom call it however it went.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The first PI called against ISU was a clear penalty. Not even really close.
Yes, and frigging Heacock the ISU D coordinator immediately went ballistic which maybe is ok but then they showed the replay in the stadium and he was still livid when it was obvious.

1stplacehawk, you know what, the announcers were pretty lame also saying the pass was uncatchable when even in live action I saw it right by our receivers hands and on replay it actually touched our receivers hands. I do not like lazy commentaters who make guesses but dont call them guesses.

In todays environment, have the ref in the booth be allowed to fix “clear and obvious” mistakes. They have VAR for soccer, why not for football.
Soccer does not have a play clock and rules that say a team can snap it as soon as the ball is put into play which sometimes is only 5+ seconds.

Sorry, but I'll disagree. I'm okay when they let them play to an extent, but the one that got intercepted was so blatant you can't let that go just because you've allowed some hand checking. He literally pulled Nico down and then the ball came right too him for a change of possession. All hand fighting is not equal, and that one was too blatant to let go...

Soccer does not have a play clock and rules that say a team can snap it as soon as the ball is put into play which sometimes is only 5+ seconds.
So give the upstairs official until next snap, 15-20 seconds, to buzz the umpire.
As I said, clear and obvious. If it takes more time than that, play on. This is calling blatant mistakes, not interpreting two players hand fighting.

No, I do not support bad officiating. How you drew that conclusion is mind boggling. The cvoaches can address the officials and the league can review and intructbetter officiating. Allowing players to criticize the officials is totally unacceptable and needs to be stamped out every time it raises its ugly head. If it is an obvious mess up, file a complaint with the league. Yes, I thought it was PI; but, could see how an official could miss it. They don't always have the best angle and don't have an instant replay device.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I am pretty sure the penalty yardage is 15 yards and if end the endzone and inside the 30 yard line you get all 15 yards.

But I agree with you that it needs to be a bigger penalty. And most teams are throwing short passes so for those it should be a 15 yard penalty. Maybe for a pass between 15 and 30 yards it should be a spot foul where it occurred.

But perhaps the max penalty yardage should be 30 yards just to make sure a really bad call of a 50 yard pass play INT doesnt really screw the defense.

It would also be good with all the money involved to make the TV show producers to put a few more cameras in and have some studio or central command replay people make a quick judgment on flagrant INTs that are missed.

My guess is that most people watching the Nico-Cooper grab play last Saturday knew it was very highly likely a grab and tug and should have been and INT. Just a quick re-wind of the tape and boom call it however it went.
It used to be spot of the foul for college. It makes more sense, but that's one HELL of a penalty if it's a long pass.

As for the calls in Saturday's game, that's the nature of PI. You see what you want/expect to see. I didn't expect agreement on this board :)

F57vMS1XEAAoJVs

It used to be spot of the foul for college. It makes more sense, but that's one HELL of a penalty if it's a long pass.

As for the calls in Saturday's game, that's the nature of PI. You see what you want/expect to see. I didn't expect agreement on this board :)
Really? I've always considered you fairly knowledgeable, even as a clone fan. Are you actually saying the play that resulted if the interception was NOT PI, but just what my lying eyes wanted to see? Really? You're kidding right?

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT