ADVERTISEMENT

“Is the NCAA or B1G going to fine me if I say that’s a horsebleep bleeping call?" Nico & other Player Interviews from Today

Sorry, but I'll disagree. I'm okay when they let them play to an extent, but the one that got intercepted was so blatant you can't let that go just because you've allowed some hand checking. He literally pulled Nico down and then the ball came right too him for a change of possession. All hand fighting is not equal, and that one was too blatant to let go...
Especially when it resulted in the INT and change of possession. No harm no foul is one thing. Hand fighting, tangled arms, OK...pulling a guy down by the jersey or neck of his pads and then picking the pass is quite another.

That's the problem with "let em play"...it becomes increasingly difficult to know where to draw the line.

F57vMS1XEAAoJVs
kid has a future in politics. Apologized for his language but didn't say he was wrong.

It used to be spot of the foul for college. It makes more sense, but that's one HELL of a penalty if it's a long pass.

As for the calls in Saturday's game, that's the nature of PI. You see what you want/expect to see. I didn't expect agreement on this board :)
As a fan and a big Hawk fan I can and do admit when the hawks make penalties and fumbles and errors. And seeing is believing as most of us can concur on various officials calls or no calls.

But a lot of us, tons of us, including announcers have been quite perplexed on many calls and even video replay calls so people do see things differently but I most often do not look thru black and gold tinted glasses.

So give the upstairs official until next snap, 15-20 seconds, to buzz the umpire.
As I said, clear and obvious. If it takes more time than that, play on. This is calling blatant mistakes, not interpreting two players hand fighting.
Oh I agree, we have the technology to do it and the networks have the money.

I will also say if pro tennis can for years use hi speed tech to see if 130 mph serves are in or out then why cant football embed a small wireless device in the center of the ball to set the first down chains. I have been complaining for years as to how bad some line judges and other officials are in spotting the ball after a tackle, in a heap of players is hard so this would help. Geez, you could GPS outline the field to know exactly where the ball crosses the sideline to help spot it.

How many times have you seen an official come in and spot the ball very close to the first down line to gain but just signal "First Down" with no questioning him them?

So give the upstairs official until next snap, 15-20 seconds, to buzz the umpire.
As I said, clear and obvious. If it takes more time than that, play on. This is calling blatant mistakes, not interpreting two players hand fighting.

or allow a challenge flag to be thrown by the head coach?

Reactions: LIV4GOD
I wish the NCAA would change the penalty of pass interference to how the NFL applies it. You get the ball at the spot of the foul and not a bs 10 yard penalty. The defense gets rewarded for interfering when they are beat on a big play. Remember the BIG championship game vs MSU and they mugged us to keep from us from scoring a potential TD.

too soon.

I will also say if pro tennis can for years use hi speed tech to see if 130 mph serves are in or out then why cant football embed a small wireless device in the center of the ball to set the first down chains. I have been complaining for years as to how bad some line judges and other officials are in spotting the ball after a tackle, in a heap of players is hard so this would help. Geez, you could GPS outline the field to know exactly where the ball crosses the sideline to help spot it.

How many times have you seen an official come in and spot the ball very close to the first down line to gain but just signal "First Down" with no questioning him them?
Hate how it’s loose how they spot it the first 3 quarters and then suddenly the last quarter with the game on the line we got to get an exact measurement. Just be consistent one way or another. I prefer doing it how you suggested. I would think the officials would too.

They weren't consistent. In a lot of games, PI would have been called on Iowa in the EZ on the first ISU possession. In a lot of games, PI would not have been called on ISU on the play that kept Iowa's only TD drive alive. Unquestionably, in a lot of games PI would have been called on the ISU interception discussed in this thread.

It's pretty obvious this crew was "letting them play." Only one flag against Iowa -- it was declined -- and two against ISU. That's pretty amazing in any game, but especially in a close rivalry game.
That's just how you see it through your McDonald's colored glasses.

• Haha
Reactions: jbofan
The Big 10 and its officials scrutinize/review all questionable calls. They police their own. To claim no accountability is totally bogus. Was it PI? Yes. Did the official blow the call? Not really. He called the way he personally saw it without the luxury of multiple angles and replay. Grow up boys. Mistakes happen.

Last edited:
The Big 10 and its officials scrutinize/review all questionable calls. They police their own. To claim no accountability is totally bogus. Was it PI? Yes. Did the official blow the call? Not really. He called the way he personally saw it without out the luxury of multiple angles and replay. Grow up boys. Mistakes happen.
Are you an Iowa fan?? If so, you’re the unicorn of Iowa fans. Good post.

The Big 10 and its officials scrutinize/review all questionable calls. They police their own. To claim no accountability is totally bogus. Was it PI? Yes. Did the official blow the call? Not really. He called the way he personally saw it without out the luxury of multiple angles and replay. Grow up boys. Mistakes happen.
You are wrong.
He blew the call. It was an obvious penalty.
Now you are right he called it the best he could from where he was standing.
Officials are always taught positioning is half of any call, and obviously he was not in a good position to see what happened.
Officiating is a tough job, but that doesn’t mean they are exempt from making mistakes.
There are differences in opinions which is hand fighting, etc, and then just missing a call. I am “ok” with opinions usually, but missing calls is something else.

Are you an Iowa fan?? If so, you’re the unicorn of Iowa fans. Good post.
I am an Iowa fan that understands that mistakes happen. I don't walk around in Black and Gold ignorance. I thought the officials did a decent job and that being a crybaby about a "wham/bam" call has a very bad look to it. Officials have a very tough job and mistakes will happen. It is the nature of the beast.

Officials are always taught positioning is half of any call, and obviously he was not in a good position to see what happened.
This is true. Keep in mind that these boys are trucking down the field at a 4.5 40 yard clip. All an official can do is guess where the best position will be. Not being in the very optimal position is very commonplace and understandable. Too bad a second official didn't get his eyes down the field to help with visuals.

The trick is knowing/sensing where the ball is when the knee is down.

This story has made national news and not in a good way. It simmered locally for a couple of days then went national. The last 1:28 of the Cocoa vs St. Thomas Aquinas may be the worst officiated 1 minute 28 seconds of football, ever. The St. Thomas Aquinas clock operator was inept as well. Cocoa appealed the outcome and it was denied. They did receive an apology though.
Florida Homer Officials/Clock Operator

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
The Big 10 and its officials scrutinize/review all questionable calls. They police their own. To claim no accountability is totally bogus. Was it PI? Yes. Did the official blow the call? Not really. He called the way he personally saw it without the luxury of multiple angles and replay. Grow up boys. Mistakes happen.
How did Dave Witvoet have a job then???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT